Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Great minds, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

A little off-topic but do any of you have good game griefing stories you can share? I'm working on something

I don't grief but I do play the can can over voice chat when doing any sort of charge.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

So I get why large scale unions end up not being helpful because of entrenched staff putting their job security ahead of the workers they represent but why the gently caress don't all the people in GMB just leave for somewhere else? Is there a reason they can't?

The general idea that if your work place has a recognised union you're better off joining that union because you have greater collective power. This topic is actually why I was asking in the thread earlier about a couple of sociological books, Political Parties by Robert Michels & Union Democracy by Lipset, Trow & Coleman. The former is about the supposed inevitability of organisation leading to oligarchy, "the iron law of oligarchy" and how it applies to things like unions. The latter is sort of a response and was about the International Typographical Union in America who were (it was written in the 50s) seen as defying the iron law. It seems like something ronya would know about.

Ultimately a lot of it is down to the law. Unions are very much part of the accepted political landscape these days, much as some don't like them, but because of that the leadership is basically part of the establishment, especially the Labour Party establishment. The law is all about crushing the threat of unions and that's one of the reasons I will never forgive Blair, not reversing the appalling anti-union moves Thatcher made. This is why I find value in groups like the IWW who aren't attached to a political party & are very much a radical union willing to take radical action. Illegal strikes & such like, as if the idea of withdrawing your labour should ever be illegal. Solidarity strikes. General strikes.

Unrelated but this is the sort of union action I want to see.

https://twitter.com/wrkclasshistory/status/1220363126031486977?s=20

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do any of you want a printer/scanner combo?

E: Also Rarity do you still want those old PC games?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 23, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

No surprise that the GMB are continuing to be poo poo. They used to be my union when I worked for G4S and were utterly useless- when I got constructively dismissed they did literally nothing. No advice, no support, nowt. Ended up loving them off and taking G4S to tribunal with just my dad as backup. And we still won.

Also, all of you who ordered fudge this month- your orders are now shipped! Be prepared for a box of deliciousness tomorrow or saturday!

This month’s goon special of ‘Billionaires shot dead’ is particularly good, though as dense as the heart of an dying sun..

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Camrath posted:

This month’s goon special of ‘Billionaires shot dead’ is particularly good, though as dense as the heart of an dying sun..

:laffo: JFC that's a genius name

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/01/jess-phillips-labour-party-leader-corbyn-uk-long-bailey

Good short article about Jessflaps here, and how the right/centre's lack of deeper analysis about Corbyn's popularity, and their labeling of his supporters as a "personality cult" led them to try to replicate this by creating a personality cult around Jess Phillips.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jose posted:

I just follow him on twitter

Ah fair enough. I freak out a bit when forums intersects with offline.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

E: Also Rarity do you still want those old PC games?

Yes please!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most are still so completely cowed by sergeant-majors screaming at them in induction that they'll salute anybody saluting them in any kind of even vaguely military headgear (and given the long and ridiculous tradition of British military headgear this can mean anything from a yarmulke to a Marie Antoinette six-foot beehive wig).

Spike Milligan's war memoirs talk about idle Gunners setting up "saluting traps" when they had nothing better to do - find a long bit of road, position as many people as you can along it at six-foot intervals, and try to give an officer RSI of the right arm by all saluting him as he passes. I don't know why but that idea still makes me giggle to this day.

I have a WW2 RAF Greatcoat, like capt Jack Harkness, though I guess that depends how much they value the other forces.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

The general idea that if your work place has a recognised union you're better off joining that union because you have greater collective power. This topic is actually why I was asking in the thread earlier about a couple of sociological books, Political Parties by Robert Michels & Union Democracy by Lipset, Trow & Coleman. The former is about the supposed inevitability of organisation leading to oligarchy, "the iron law of oligarchy" and how it applies to things like unions. The latter is sort of a response and was about the International Typographical Union in America who were (it was written in the 50s) seen as defying the iron law. It seems like something ronya would know about.

Ultimately a lot of it is down to the law. Unions are very much part of the accepted political landscape these days, much as some don't like them, but because of that the leadership is basically part of the establishment, especially the Labour Party establishment. The law is all about crushing the threat of unions and that's one of the reasons I will never forgive Blair, not reversing the appalling anti-union moves Thatcher made. This is why I find value in groups like the IWW who aren't attached to a political party & are very much a radical union willing to take radical action. Illegal strikes & such like, as if the idea of withdrawing your labour should ever be illegal. Solidarity strikes. General strikes.

Unrelated but this is the sort of union action I want to see.

https://twitter.com/wrkclasshistory/status/1220363126031486977?s=20

But what does "pro-union move" mean here? I mean that non-rhetorically; reverting to the era of dropping cinderblocks on taxi drivers is a hard sell today. Likewise abolishing secret ballots or mandatory balloting of industrial action. If by "radicalism" it turns out that one means mass intimidation without process, I would say that voters will continue to support politicians that denounce it and a politics that crushes it. The period where trade union members felt that trade unions had too much power in Britain was real, once.

This is not a political fact that has escaped Corbynism's new economics, hence the turn toward codetermination and sectoral collective bargaining - even though denouncing tripartism as corporatism and corporatism as fascism was popular equivocation once. And what is more obviously collaborative with Capital than literally sitting on the board?

Remember that today, in large part, withdrawing one's labour as an individual is already legal (with many exceptions, but it is largely true). One can quit, which was in an even earlier time very much not the case. Appealing to the right to withdraw one's labour falls into that ideological trap of neoliberal individualism, namely that most individuals already have such a right, and that what one is actually proposing is a kind of collective right... what trade union relations law does is oblige the employer to respect that collective withdrawal (however grudgingly) instead of just hiring someone else. Once this was a managed détente in lieu of radical action (of say... physically attacking the worksite, as a point in hand), but today it prevails as a bureaucratic process. One can argue for more rights or different rights in that process, but one still has to be inside the door, not outside throwing pebbles at the windows.

One can of course argue that direct action is superior on various tactical/ideological grounds &c (and I would expect any self-respecting anarchist to do so) but let me suggest that ponderous trade unions with offices to run and pensions to manage need the state to enforce claims more than the states need them as labour sounding-boards, and aging workers require officers to be available and pensions to be paid, and these factors were already true back in that hallowed period when union labour still dominated under the cultural conditions most conducive to a strong esprit de corps for a physical presence on the picket line - highly masculine, in dangerous working conditions, requiring coordinated discipline de facto managed by respected and locally credible leaders. Thatcherism won because it could retaliate against flying pickets not by sending ever more constables to the lines, but by having union offices struggle to pay for basic necessities for a bureaucracy to live, like work spaces and bank accounts - it turned out that one can't argue for some of the protections of the state but not the others if one embraces illegalism, or at least convince the public that such a separation was deserved when one did not respect that separation either (see also: dropping cinder blocks on taxi drivers).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think I have to give UK politics a rest for a bit, it's all far too depressing and I've got enough other problems to deal with to worry about it.

I'll still vaguely support RLB to anyone who will listen mind you, not keen on what Starmer's been doing with his campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Yes please!

Grand, I'm getting them sorted over the next few days so I'll figure out how many I can fit in a parcel and sort out a posting address with you via burner email or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Grand, I'm getting them sorted over the next few days so I'll figure out how many I can fit in a parcel and sort out a posting address with you via burner email or something.

No probs, just keep me updated :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to nick a monster munch box from work to post them in but it's probably outside the maximum parcel dimensions sadly.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

I was going to nick a monster munch box from work to post them in but it's probably outside the maximum parcel dimensions sadly.
I just sent someone a keyboard in a box about twice the size of the ones crisps come in so you should be fine :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ronya posted:

One can quit

Most can't though, not without another job lined up which is getting tougher and tougher.

Quitting is only an option when it doesn't cause you to starve and/or be homeless.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Camrath posted:

Also, all of you who ordered fudge this month- your orders are now shipped! Be prepared for a box of deliciousness tomorrow or saturday!

pictured: me after eating excellent fudge, courtesy of Camrath

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

CGI Stardust posted:

pictured: me after eating excellent fudge, courtesy of Camrath

I like your plummage :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know robins cosplayed as sonic OCs.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

thespaceinvader posted:

Most can't though, not without another job lined up which is getting tougher and tougher.

Quitting is only an option when it doesn't cause you to starve and/or be homeless.

if that is a binding condition, neither is the strike: it doesn't pay the bills either

"Most" does need some workshopping; turnover in the UK labour market is high. Job tenure is on average about five years and falling. Voluntary turnover rates are high. Younger workers express higher, not lower, desires to quit early and quit often. Between exit and voice, there's a healthy demand for exit options and policies that favour exit options (this is one of those odd bubbles in LAB discourse; there's one sphere that is almost wholly concentrated on squeezed-middle concerns, where jobbing is taken as given and the focus is mainly on QoL, and another sphere on the precariat one-working-parent/adult household, where it very much is not)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
GMB is one of the MI5 riddled unions isnt it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

I have a WW2 RAF Greatcoat, like capt Jack Harkness, though I guess that depends how much they value the other forces.

It's the hat that matters. Montgomery could be sitting on the shoulders of Wellington and salute until he was blue in the face and the only response from ARE BRAVE BOYS would be - to further quote Milligan - "YOU DON'T SALUTE WIVVOUT YER 'AT ON, oval office!" because the proper time to salute and not to salute is more ingrained in every single member of them than any other aspect of military life with the possible exception of compulsive masturbation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

GMB is one of the MI5 riddled unions isnt it?

They're the union for ASDA employees which makes me question their utility.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Brooklin Brawler of unions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Overminty posted:

I like your plummage :3:

Nonsense.

Birds dont have testicles.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nonsense.

Birds dont have testicles.

They might not have actual external testicles, but geese certainly waddle around with the attitude of having the ginormous feathery plums dangling down.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ducks have terrifying hydraulic drill dicks and are terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean technically don't humans have hydraulic dicks? And whether they're terrifying or not is a matter of taste and providence.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

D-D-Drill dicks, horrifying.
Corkscrew vaginas (I ain't lying)
Necrophile incestuous rapists ~ Ducktales! Woo~hoo!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Guavanaut posted:

new thread title please

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean technically don't humans have hydraulic dicks? And whether they're terrifying or not is a matter of taste and providence.

And hygiene.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k01DIVDJlY

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If humans had dicks that were twice their body length and were stored inside before being fired out under hydraulic pressure that would also be terrifying.

Also the things that they do with them, which is also among the reasons why Jimmy Savile was terrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I don't necessarily need it to be a dick but I would like at least one appendage that I could fire out up to twice my body length away.

Mostly because the light switch is slightly out of reach of my chair and I keep leaving my hairbrush over the other side of the room so I have to get up to poke it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I don't necessarily need it to be a dick but I would like at least one appendage that I could fire out up to twice my body length away.

Mostly because the light switch is slightly out of reach of my chair and I keep leaving my hairbrush over the other side of the room so I have to get up to poke it.

You basically want to be Dhalsim off of Street Fighter 2

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You can get an off-brand Phillips Hue setup more easily than modifying yourself so that you have to rile yourself into a state of violent sexual arousal so that your penis shoots out and hits the light switch.

More compatible with other devices too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're picking abilities from the animal kingdom I would also like to bagsy the ability to spray blood out of my eyes in the manner of the horned lizard.

I don't have a practical use for that one in mind, but I think I could find uses for it if I had it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not griefing so much as it is just being good, but admin he doing it sideways is a classic reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Ok so, hello friends, I'm trying to declutter a bit as well and some of these nerd items could be useful to someone:

- Desktop PC case: Corsair Carbide Air 240 micro-ATX - specs here
- RAM: 4x8 GB = 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133 MHz

Let me know if you want them, now for rock bottom prices. For the case it's probably only worthwhile if you're in London since it's kinda clunky.