Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Witcher 3 has incredible writing, its maybe the best writing and acting I've seen in a game but its actively tedious to play and if the story isn't a massive draw for you its easy to see the flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klaaz posted:

Witcher 3 is an overrated piece of sh, well average game. Theres nothing interesting about a massive map full of questsmarks making the entire game feel like a digital themepark with bland attractions and dull rewards. Also, I rather develop my character myself instead of getting developed by a boring rear end narrative.

Videogames aren't for developing your own character.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Klaaz posted:

Witcher 3 is an overrated piece of sh, well average game. Theres nothing interesting about a massive map full of questsmarks making the entire game feel like a digital themepark with bland attractions and dull rewards. Also, I rather develop my character myself instead of getting developed by a boring rear end narrative.

The Witcher has suffered that lensing effect that happens to characters like Wolverine or Batman-- where the sexy-yet-misunderstood pretty boy with issues is dopey-cute when it's this underground neckbeard thing that is trying its best, but insufferably smug and self-laudatory when it's a mainstream phenomenon loads of boys are looking at and going "it's me!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Geralt will always get a pass from me because of that time in the books he starts brooding in the corner and all of his friends just start roasting him. Like some straight up “oh, Geralt’s being angsty. Is it Tuesday already?” type poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I tried listening to an audiobook of the first Witcher novel and didn't even make it five minutes. The first fuckin paragraph is a super cringey man-writes-woman sex fantasy. Click

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol at people reading the Witcher books when the games exist

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Witcher books aren't really well regarded.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Aphrodite posted:

The Witcher books aren't really well regarded.

Fits nicely with the games then

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Geralt will always get a pass from me because of that time in the books he starts brooding in the corner and all of his friends just start roasting him. Like some straight up “oh, Geralt’s being angsty. Is it Tuesday already?” type poo poo
Yeah the one book I read had a pretty good sense of humor about Geralt, but the games (and what I've seen of the show) definitely don't.

hawowanlawow posted:

I tried listening to an audiobook of the first Witcher novel and didn't even make it five minutes. The first fuckin paragraph is a super cringey man-writes-woman sex fantasy. Click
I've heard the first one is like that, so I started at the 2nd which is apparently where the "real" series begins. It wasn't nearly as bad.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mind the walrus posted:

I've heard the first one is like that, so I started at the 2nd which is apparently where the "real" series begins. It wasn't nearly as bad.

Wow the games are way more similar to the books than i thought

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He gets told he stinks a lot in the show.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

drat I'm surprised an irresistible musk isn't another ~side effect~ of the trial of the grasses along with STD immunity and sterility

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

The best short story is in the second collection where he and a wizard are both sleeping with the same woman and the wizard tries to convince Geralt that because Witchers don’t have emotions that’s he’s not actually in love with her and just thinks he is because of chemical reactions in the brain, and dumbass ends up buying it.

Anyway long story short she gets mad at both of them and dumps them both.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Witcher 3 has incredible writing, its maybe the best writing and acting I've seen in a game but its actively tedious to play and if the story isn't a massive draw for you its easy to see the flaws

I finally played the game last year, and I really enjoyed myself. The side quest stuff is 100% correct, but I just want to play a game that doesn't require me to keep constant notes on where and what to do, while presenting a really nice atmosphere and gameplay.

Related to this: I don't know if this is a PHUO, but I finally installed Morrowind on my laptop (after years of not being able to play it thanks to cheap computers and then switching to a Mac for a while), and it's just not hooking me. I've heard goons say that Oblivion and Skyrim (both of which I enjoyed on the 360) pale in comparison to it, but I think it's just too old for me to enjoy after getting used to things like quest markers, instead of that journal system it has.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Morrowind definitely struck me as the kind-of game you had to be there for with loads of free time back in the early 00s, either that or mod the everloving life out of it in 2020 and also have loads of free time.

I have no doubt the game goons say is in there is in there, but like... gently caress man I'm not getting any younger and it's clearly a lot of work just to get to the game, much less play it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I remember stealing hundreds of dollars a day from my job so I could afford to build a computer that would run Morrowind at the highest settings. Me and my buddies stared at the water forever amazed that there were actually reflections in it! I just don't think that sort of thing is going to happen again anytime soon since graphics are quickly becoming more and more photo realistic it just seems like smaller and smaller steps from generation to generation.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Klaaz posted:

I got the first one thinking I wanted to get up on the plot or whatever and it was such hot poo poo. Skipped to 3 and well I’m a few hours in but it’s not compelling plot wise or gameplay wise.

The map does give me the sense I could go anywhere but the art and interactions don’t make me want to.

Better looking open worlds include GTA V, AC: Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Far Cry 5 just in recent memory.

And the writing is just okay.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
A friend of mine received a copy of Morrowind in the post when he had actually ordered This is Football 2002 for the Sony Playstation and he refused to sell me the copy even though it was like £15 compare to Morrowinds £30 odd and instead made fun of Morrowind and continues to do so to this day

thats my morrowind story, it was a cool game for its time but I can't imagine many less fun games to play in 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember stealing hundreds of dollars a day from my job so I could afford to build a computer that would run Morrowind at the highest settings. Me and my buddies stared at the water forever amazed that there were actually reflections in it! I just don't think that sort of thing is going to happen again anytime soon since graphics are quickly becoming more and more photo realistic it just seems like smaller and smaller steps from generation to generation.

It’s weird, the generational gaps look smaller each time when you’re upgrading, but if you go the other was and play a PS3 game now you’ll keep noticing how crappy everything looks comparatively.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Morrowind definitely struck me as the kind-of game you had to be there for with loads of free time back in the early 00s, either that or mod the everloving life out of it in 2020 and also have loads of free time.

I have no doubt the game goons say is in there is in there, but like... gently caress man I'm not getting any younger and it's clearly a lot of work just to get to the game, much less play it.

Yeah, this is very much the case. There are things that I think were and remain unparalleled about Morrowind, mostly setting and lore stuff, but the actual act of playing the game is not any of those things.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Walking out of the cave and seeing a dead wizard fly through the air and smash into the ground then stealing a scroll of massive agility or some poo poo from his dead body and using it to leap 3000 feet into the air and sail through the morrowind map before similarly succumbing to your own stupidity as you realise you didn't use the potion of levitation or whatever to break your fall is the best bit of morrowind

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

docbeard posted:

Yeah, this is very much the case. There are things that I think were and remain unparalleled about Morrowind, mostly setting and lore stuff, but the actual act of playing the game is not any of those things.

This is what I've gathered so far. If they somehow decided to release an anniversary edition complete with updates to everything, I'd give it a shot, because I love good lore and atmosphere.

But to be honest, I've been interested in replaying Skyrim lately for some reason (my 360 I left at my parents'), but I can't decide if I should just find a PS4 copy or get it for Switch so I have the option to play it on the go). Or maybe I'll just download DLC's and replay Breath of the Wild or something.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's a Skyrim mod in the works that basically remakes Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. No idea if it'll ever actually come out. Think there's one for Oblivion too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8lMMpFIDU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Klaaz posted:

Klazz Klazz what a prick

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a thread specifically for unpopular video game opinions, you know.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thread topics aren't real.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The best thread discussions are always off topic and thus never properly indexed for later review.

Unless you need like circumcision or tipping chat then you can check pretty much anywhere or just start your own :science:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The best thread discussions are always off topic and thus never properly indexed for later review.

Unless you need like circumcision or tipping chat then you can check pretty much anywhere or just start your own :science:

Three words:

Chili

Con

Beans

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Never played Morrowind, but did play the poo poo out of Fallout 1 & 2. Did you know if you bought those games in their original cardboard boxes they came with thick manuals with extra bits like recipes for Nuclear Mushroom cookies and tips on how to survive a real nuclear war. I probably still have those in a box somewhere.

Opinion: The Master was right, in that his plan would eliminate humans and their wars, one way or another.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jan 25, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Three words:

Chili

Con

Beans

chili con mezcla de sopa cebolla francés

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Speaking ill of the dead is good, at least for public figures.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Kill your heroes from time to time

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Kill your heroes from time to time

except me, I like being alive

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pastry of the Year posted:

except me, I like being alive

If you are your own hero that would result in an infinite loop

A hall of mirrors effect of just you deciding to model yourself on yourself forever

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sounds better than oblivion

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oblivion was good.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Pierce Brosnan was the best James Bond and Goldeneye was the best James Bond movie ever made

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Scientist posted:

Pierce Brosnan was the best James Bond and Goldeneye was the best James Bond movie ever made

This is not the thread for Good and Correct Opinions.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Scientist posted:

Actually it was Sean Connery on account of him being a) Scottish and b) first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Amoeba102 posted:

Oblivion was good.

Not everything Patrick Stewart does is good