Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I was just wondering if Manifold was a mutant or was just being trained by Gateway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Colossus and Nightcrawler don't seem to have regular appearances in any book yet. Nightcrawler might in this upcoming Children of the Atom, and Colossus has an upcoming appearance in X-Force (I don't think its permanent but not sure). Jamie Madrox and Banshee I would put in the next highest tier of no appearances yet. I'm actually a little interested to see what Banshee thinks of this whole Moira reveal. I'm also a little surprised Hickman hasn't used Eden Fesi yet. He is a mutant teleporter created by Hickman used in both his Secret Warriors and Avengers runs.

Colossus was announced as being part of the "team" for X-Force when the first wave of series was announced and was in the first issue but hasn't been seen since, because he was so messed up physically after what he went through getting mutants out of Russia, presumably.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Eden's been working with T'Challa over in Black Panther, so he's at least still around. I'd like to see Gentle back, speaking of Wakandan mutants.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Where is my X-Club book? Science Team!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

Eden's been working with T'Challa over in Black Panther, so he's at least still around. I'd like to see Gentle back, speaking of Wakandan mutants.

Oh yeah, I had a feeling Taylor had some plans for him in X-Men Red.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1218343006505295872?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hickman has been posting B&W screens from various movies for the last few days so I have no idea what the next issue is going to be about.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I finally caught up on all these comics, and woooof Fallen Angels is some garbage. It only has one issue left, right? I may as well complete it, even though I didn’t bother reading #5. Are any of the other series ending, or are they all meant to be continuous?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman has been posting B&W screens from various movies for the last few days so I have no idea what the next issue is going to be about.
Cyclops interrogates a monkey for 17 pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It was Inglorious Basterds, 3 from Alien, at least 3 from The Counselor and then I'm not sure what the more recent ones are (I haven't actually seen The Counselor, I just remembered Javier Bardem had goofy hair in it).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

A Broo one-shot?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

A Broo one-shot?

He's shown up on Krakoa,hasn't he? Like in the background at some point?

There was a Cyclops one shot announced.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

A one-shot written by X-Plain The X-Men's Jay Edidin, no less!

I've never been a huge Cyclops fan, but seeing Jay get the chance to write his absolute favorite rules a whole lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

A one-shot written by X-Plain The X-Men's Jay Edidin, no less!

I've never been a huge Cyclops fan, but seeing Jay get the chance to write his absolute favorite rules a whole lot.

I'm reading a bunch of the SF/Utopia era comics and it's really turned me around on him, and he's been great in Hickman's X-Men.

I also liked him in the Claremont books up until X Factor started up and he abandoned his wife and child.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That entire SF run was real fun. I think during the Phoenix Five saga they go fight Sinister and he fights back with Sinister Cows and a laser gun made of Sinister Cyclopses

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cyclops is Clark Kent if he had to be in charge of people.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

He's shown up on Krakoa,hasn't he? Like in the background at some point?

There was a Cyclops one shot announced.
Broo is part of the Avengers support staff in Jason Aaron's Avengers, and appeared in the Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda book. He's also in some group shots in House of X on Krakoa, yeah.

Also Jay's Cyclops one-shot is part of the Marvels Snapshots line and apparently takes place while Young Scott is still a kid in the orphanage, if that affects anyone's feelings about the eras of Cyclops.

Not X-Men related, but I'm kind of curious about Evan Dorkin's Human Torch one-shot, which is supposed to take place at his high school reunion? I know I tied myself in knots upthread trying to parse out how old everyone on the X-Teams are meant to be, so it's almost on topic.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Broo is part of the Avengers support staff in Jason Aaron's Avengers, and appeared in the Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda book. He's also in some group shots in House of X on Krakoa, yeah.

Also Jay's Cyclops one-shot is part of the Marvels Snapshots line and apparently takes place while Young Scott is still a kid in the orphanage, if that affects anyone's feelings about the eras of Cyclops.

Not X-Men related, but I'm kind of curious about Evan Dorkin's Human Torch one-shot, which is supposed to take place at his high school reunion? I know I tied myself in knots upthread trying to parse out how old everyone on the X-Teams are meant to be, so it's almost on topic.

Johnny Storm and Peter Parker should be the same age, Cyclops should be like a year older, the rest of the O5 should be the same age as Cyclops or slightly younger, of course with the current resurrection protocol physically most of the X-Men are probably in their mid to late twenties, outside the X-Men, Johnny has probably spent the most time either time displaced or in another dimension where time flows differently and all of the big heroes have died and come back to life at least once and the current Marvel universe was created by a 10 year old boy using reality warping powers he didn't really understand, magnified by an insane former super villain's reality warping powers.

Also, they're never gonna let Peter Parker turn 30, so it'd make sense for Johnny Storm's 10 year reunion to be coming up, since they should be the same age.

It gets more confusing when you deal with characters that are older or younger than Spider-Man, since clearly time has passed since he put on the suit, but is Reed Richards or Tony Stark a decade or so older than when they first appeared.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Not-quite-thirty Scott Summers fucks with my brain in uncomfortable ways, and not just because it means I'm getting to be older than him. The amount of stuff the O5 have seen, I feel like they've gotta be pushing 40 at this point at the very least.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Johnny Storm and Peter Parker should be the same age, Cyclops should be like a year older, the rest of the O5 should be the same age as Cyclops or slightly younger, of course with the current resurrection protocol physically most of the X-Men are probably in their mid to late twenties, outside the X-Men, Johnny has probably spent the most time either time displaced or in another dimension where time flows differently and all of the big heroes have died and come back to life at least once and the current Marvel universe was created by a 10 year old boy using reality warping powers he didn't really understand, magnified by an insane former super villain's reality warping powers.

Also, they're never gonna let Peter Parker turn 30, so it'd make sense for Johnny Storm's 10 year reunion to be coming up, since they should be the same age.

It gets more confusing when you deal with characters that are older or younger than Spider-Man, since clearly time has passed since he put on the suit, but is Reed Richards or Tony Stark a decade or so older than when they first appeared.
It's also muddied by the fact that all of the Snapshot one-shots take place in a nebulous "past":

- Cyclops's apparently involves him as a kid at the orphanage while "the rise of superheroes" happens, suggesting he's still a kid at the orphanage when the FF/etc. start heroing, which as you've pointed out should be happening after Xavier recruited him.
- Namor's is set in 1946 so you know, whatever.
- Captain America's is set in the aftermath of the 1970s Jack Kirby "Madbomb" storyline, and is supposed to deal with how that story affected the Bronx, and given Mark Russell's track record is just going to take place in 1976 because [lazy gloss of real world history]
- The Human Torch's one is his ten year reunion, which doesn't really break Johnny's character (though it will be interesting to see where in the overall MU timeline it takes place)

I feel like the generally accepted thing is that the Fantastic Four (and by extension, Spider-Man) started being superheroes a little over a decade ago, which is fine for their narratives but it's also implied that characters like Kate Pryde and the New Mutants have also aged a decade or so since their debut, makes compressing everything that took place from 1961-1980 into about two years trickier, though I suppose it's getting to the point that you could try to smooth everything out to mean "one decade = 1 year" and then not look at the details about how Spider-Man went from being 15 in 1962 to graduating high school in 1965 or whatever other marker you want to pick to make this timeline stop making sense.

Also you keep getting comics written by older people like the Rodney Barnes Falcon book where the (canonically sixteen year old) Patriot is trying to turn (the presumably early 30s) Falcon onto rap music acts from 25-30 years ago, while the Millennial aged Falcon keeps grousing about how the music he came up on was all Motown and the Chi-Lites, probably because the author of the book is in his 50s. Which further muddies everything, kind of like how Bendis wrote the Original Five X-Men traveling to the present from like 1965, not 2004.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

One bit of head cannon I like, but haven't thought about too closely is the reason when Spider-Man first put on his costume they had 1960s technology and now, a decade later they have 2020 technology is that behind the scenes people like Stark and Richard's were actually pushing technology further and faster than it developed in the real world.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

So does that mean that all current Marvel comics take place in the early 1970s, or was there a behind the scenes conspiracy that meant the microchip and civil rights weren't invented until 2010?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

So does that mean that all current Marvel comics take place in the early 1970s, or was there a behind the scenes conspiracy that meant the microchip and civil rights weren't invented until 2010?

Like I said, I haven't thought about it too hard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rochallor posted:

Not-quite-thirty Scott Summers fucks with my brain in uncomfortable ways, and not just because it means I'm getting to be older than him. The amount of stuff the O5 have seen, I feel like they've gotta be pushing 40 at this point at the very least.

Yea I have head ages for everyone and Scott is very clearly 39 and not handling turning 40 well.

Rarely do they straight up say ages, like in Scarlet Witch's solo comic from a few years ago she states she's 27.

I'm pretty pumped for FF/Xmen team up book. I'm not sure why,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think Hickman said he believes Scott is in his mid thirties and his editor thinks Scott is in his late twenties.

The thing is, I don't think Tony Stark is supposed to be older than forty and Scott is definitely younger than Tony Stark (also more mature, but so's Mile Morales)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jonathan Hickman, being completely transparent on Twitter again.

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1219910449011003392?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Johnny Storm and Peter Parker should be the same age, Cyclops should be like a year older, the rest of the O5 should be the same age as Cyclops or slightly younger, of course with the current resurrection protocol physically most of the X-Men are probably in their mid to late twenties, outside the X-Men,
Beast was the oldest of the O5 by at least a couple years, with Iceman being the youngest. They're all supposed to be within roughly the same age range though, yeah.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

One bit of head cannon I like, but haven't thought about too closely is the reason when Spider-Man first put on his costume they had 1960s technology and now, a decade later they have 2020 technology is that behind the scenes people like Stark and Richard's were actually pushing technology further and faster than it developed in the real world.

This is good!

Edge & Christian posted:

When Waid moved all of the Korean/Vietnam vet characters (including, I'm assuming, Xavier) from those real-world conflicts to a pretty loving racist fake Southeast Asian War, I thought Marvel's moving timeline thing kind of broke. A far easier thing to do is to keep all Marvel stories taking place nebulously in the mid-70s to late-80s, with technology and culture moving forward similar to the way Skwirl mentioned. Instead of time moving forward, time standing still and everything else moving forward.

I also very much liked that the rumors from a few years ago that the FF and X-Men were going to be relaunched as books in the 60s, with the Avengers and other books taking place in modern times. I would have bought the gently caress out of those books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Excalibur really - finally - came into its own. I think that'll ready really nicely in chunks.

Edit: And Marauders was excellent, but that's normal.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 22, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm down to just X-Men, X-Force and Marauders, and stopped reading for a while then tried to catch up and maybe did it in the wrong order or something. Can someone explain why sometimes Pyro is in a wheelchair all sad and sometimes he's jumping around with a big black tattoo on his face?

Just ordered some Wolverine #1 variants because I want to put them up on my comic display. I liked the comic based on the radio play(podcast?) and it's got the same writer so I hope it's decent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

davebo posted:

I'm down to just X-Men, X-Force and Marauders, and stopped reading for a while then tried to catch up and maybe did it in the wrong order or something. Can someone explain why sometimes Pyro is in a wheelchair all sad and sometimes he's jumping around with a big black tattoo on his face?

Just ordered some Wolverine #1 variants because I want to put them up on my comic display. I liked the comic based on the radio play(podcast?) and it's got the same writer so I hope it's decent.

He was in a wheelchair because he got into Wolverine's booze stash and was too drunk to stand.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tattoo was also because of booze.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The drunk wheelchair Pyro stuff was to show that part of the issue was happening during Marauders #1 because it took place over a period of time

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I might have missed the discussion but I was a little surprised at how marauders ended. I didn't expect shaw to make a move so quickly, any theories on what our fearless pirate captain will do?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dang, that ending to Marauders was something alright. Totally want to see where it goes next.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Kingtheninja posted:

I didn't expect shaw to make a move so quickly, any theories on what our fearless pirate captain will do?

I mean, float. Eventually.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

So..the thing that happened in Marauders #6 this week: Kitty can't be brought back to life, supposedly, and the island wouldn't let her in, so...are we picking up on that whole "one of the X-Men isn't a mutant/the X-Men have a double agent" thing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well Shaw's betting on Kitty being unable to use gates means she also cant be brought back to life, which is a pretty big leap of logic given how one's entirely Krakoan biotech, and the other is purely mutant abilities.

Of course though, now's the perfect time for IMPERIUS REX!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kitty can land on Krakoa the old fashioned way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't remember the exact way that mutants are brought back, but I thought it was just the 5's powers, starting with Goldballs' balls. I didn't think there was any Krakoa involved.