Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I think my favorite thing about the Mad Max game is how it leans into the mystical aspect of the series. There's an environment you end up traversing several times; an airport sunken into the sand. When you drive to it for the first time for story reasons, Max recognizes the place and says, "Ah, it's an airport." Chumbucket, the mechanic gremlin dude who rides on top of Max's car, goes, "What's an airport?"

How would Max, a man in his 40's at most, know what a thing from the pre-collapse world is, but not Chumbucket not know, a dude who is clearly much older than him? I love that stuff. How long has it been since civilization fell? How old is Max?

One of the collectible photos is of a Mad Max themed ride or park or something, which was delightfully meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I think my favorite thing about the Mad Max game is how it leans into the mystical aspect of the series. There's an environment you end up traversing several times; an airport sunken into the sand. When you drive to it for the first time for story reasons, Max recognizes the place and says, "Ah, it's an airport." Chumbucket, the mechanic gremlin dude who rides on top of Max's car, goes, "What's an airport?"

How would Max, a man in his 40's at most, know what a thing from the pre-collapse world is, but not Chumbucket not know, a dude who is clearly much older than him? I love that stuff. How long has it been since civilization fell? How old is Max?

I like to think that after it all went to poo poo, pockets of knowledge became really specialized. Max is a touch different since he's a nomad.

Chum never had to learn what an airport is because he never encountered one before.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

As each movie has progressed in the Mad Max universe, George Miller seems to have gone far out of his way for the continuity not to make sense, and says it's much more about the mythology of Max rather than the reality. The movies themselves are sort of like campfire retellings of the heroic folk figure of Max, the raggedy man from the before-time. For one small example, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy are only 2 years apart in age, but in Fury Road Furiosa was born and raised after the apocolypse, while max was already in his early 30s when the apocolypse began. Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are both bookended by characters who aren't Max narrating, and end saying that it was a story about Max from long ago in the narrators youth, so the details are probably highly unreliable.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Dang that sounds pretty fun honestly. I'm reading in the wiki that it's a non-linear open world RPG too, in 1991on the snes, that's pretty interesting. Apparently you can go in a bunch of different directions on the world map right from the start, and there's different quests in every direction that aren't dependent on each other. That's pretty neat to see in a SNES RPG, how does it handle XP and lvl scaling in an open world?

While there isn’t a strong plot driving the exploration yet, NPC dialogue does a good job of pointing out where to explore next. Wanted enemies with big bounties are also sprinkled along the “critical path” but are sometimes in their own optional dungeon with optional rewards. There’s been one real “gate” to my exploration, which was a pair of bosses on the overworld.

Each time the main character gains a level, the hunter guild picks a new random enemy to be the “weekly bounty”. Killing those enemies and reporting to the guild before you level up again will let you cash in for a cash bonus per kill. It’s a neat mechanic that helps with the grind for new equipment. Once everyone has a vehicle you’re well protected from most random battles, even if you skip a few towns and quests. Most of your power comes from your equipment in the end. I guess I’m halfway through it but I really recommend it so far.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dewgy posted:

One of the collectible photos is of a Mad Max themed ride or park or something, which was delightfully meta.

IIRC, Max's comment on it is a confused "What the?"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

jokes posted:

I like it when series leaves long-unanswered questions intentionally and not just, like forget to care enough. Maybe Max, like the Dread Pirate Roberts, is more of an idea of a wandering cowboy or whatever that is a mystical un-ending being (or lineage of knowledgable hyper-capable dudes). I bet, though, that the writers just wanted Max to act like an insert of the player itself and be able to point out that it's an airport buried beneath the sand and the gremlin is saying 'whats an airport' to reiterate that society is destroyed or whatever.

considering George Miller had input on game's script, it's far more likely they were going with the Dread Pirate Roberts interpretation, tbh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dash Rendar posted:

considering George Miller had input on game's script, it's far more likely they were going with the Dread Pirate Roberts interpretation, tbh

Yeah GM has said that Max is a "campfire hero" and that you should view the movies as if someone is relaying the story to you after hearing it from someone who heard it from someone who...

It's how we should treat Bond as well but the racists and sexists love to crawl out and exclaim that a fictitious character must be a certain way for eternity.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bond was a real person tho

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

No Just Cause game being released with coop is basically the biggest crime in video game history.

The co-op mod was for JC2 was great. I remember trying that and finding a bunch of people having a race in high-end sports cars, so I went and got an attack helicopter and just started chasing them round the track shooting them. Good times.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

As each movie has progressed in the Mad Max universe, George Miller seems to have gone far out of his way for the continuity not to make sense, and says it's much more about the mythology of Max rather than the reality. The movies themselves are sort of like campfire retellings of the heroic folk figure of Max, the raggedy man from the before-time. For one small example, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy are only 2 years apart in age, but in Fury Road Furiosa was born and raised after the apocolypse, while max was already in his early 30s when the apocolypse began. Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are both bookended by characters who aren't Max narrating, and end saying that it was a story about Max from long ago in the narrators youth, so the details are probably highly unreliable.

Yeah I noticed this, too. Also, some of the kids in Beyond Thunderdome looked way too young to have been born before the Pox Eclipse.

Frankly, I cannot enjoy media that isn't perfectly internally consistent from beginning to end. This isn't Greek theater, damnit!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can only enjoy media that isn't internally consistent.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Have you heard of anime

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kitfox88 posted:

Have you heard of anime

No, what is that?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It's kinda like Japanimation

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kitfox88 posted:

Have you heard of anime

it used to be about robots killing monsters but now it's mostly underclothed children

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

In every Mad Max, he starts with his beloved V8 Interceptor, and it ends up getting destroyed or stolen. Timelines are odd, but it seems to fit with the idea of storytelling mythology that revolves around the wandering unlikely hero. Like the fact of Max being a former police officer, even though it seems entire empires have rose and fell since war scorched the earth. It's almost like Max was plucked from the time stream right after the bombs dropped, and now he skips along the surface like a stone, landing in spots long after he should have been dead.

ANYWAYS, back to game stuff. I'm playing through Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and one of the stores you find in Prague sells "antique" stuff. Down in the store's basement, you can find a beat-up Companion Cube, a copy of one of the Hitman games, and deep at the bottom of a crate, buried under other boxes, there's a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Zombie Guy posted:

In every Mad Max, he starts with his beloved V8 Interceptor, and it ends up getting destroyed or stolen. Timelines are odd, but it seems to fit with the idea of storytelling mythology that revolves around the wandering unlikely hero. Like the fact of Max being a former police officer, even though it seems entire empires have rose and fell since war scorched the earth. It's almost like Max was plucked from the time stream right after the bombs dropped, and now he skips along the surface like a stone, landing in spots long after he should have been dead.

People generally fail to realize the substantial and far-reaching impact that the Western genre has on media. Many things we take for granted in media comes directly from American Western TV/movies (which themselves were concepts stolen from earlier works, like Arthurian tales). The silent protagonist, the self-insert, the mustache-twirling villain, a billion other aspects, all established by a massive genre our generations likely never really saw.

Mad Max is another iteration in a long, long chain of media franchises built around a hyper-capable morally grey (white) man who has a mostly unexplored background, finds himself the unwilling hero in a conflict that he wins for the good guys before leaving until the next episode/movie/video game where it happens again. Mad Max is a western. Arguably one of the best and purest westerns, but the characters and stories would mostly also be comfortably at home in the American Frontier.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ariong posted:

No, what is that?

Garbage.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Have you heard of anime

It's blood, right?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My mad max headcanon is that the rest of the world is absolutely fine and the setting is just a slightly exaggerated Australia. This was my theory before Australia went on fire and its definitely well support4d now

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How does your headcanon explain the lack of oceans? Honest question.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Randalor posted:

It's still set in the future.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If it's Australia and they're in the middle of the Outback, there's hundreds of miles of desert in every direction before there's even the possibility of ocean.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jokes posted:

Mad Max is a western.
Now I really want to see Fury Road remade entirely, with all the plot beats, as a Western. Nameless cowboy drifter gets captured by bandit gang, bandit lieutenant makes a bid for freedom with some captives, the drifter and another of the bandits eventually join them, they have a huge horseback chase and eventually kill the bandit leader and restore order to the town.

Immortan Joe as a former Confederate general and the equivalents of Furiosa, the wives and the Vuvalini would be former slaves and/or natives, or does that come across as too exploitative?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Randalor posted:

One half of the planet has dry Mad-Max apocalypse, the other half of the planet has wet apocalypse. Ever play The Flame and the Flood? That's what's going on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The Australian desert is big enough that there was an uncontacted tribe wandering around in it until the 1980's.

When somebody told them about running water that came out of pipes they went "whaaaaaaaaat?!?"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Australian desert is big enough that there was an uncontacted tribe wandering around in it until the 1980's.

When somebody told them about running water that came out of pipes they went "whaaaaaaaaat?!?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YggiDee posted:

One half of the planet has dry Mad-Max apocalypse, the other half of the planet has wet apocalypse. Ever play The Flame and the Flood? That's what's going on.

Flame and the Flood owns. It's my go-to game for when I need to chill out for a bit.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mad Max/Waterworld crossover.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

If it's Australia and they're in the middle of the Outback, there's hundreds of miles of desert in every direction before there's even the possibility of ocean.

The setting has giant salt flats with wrecked cargo ships though. Pretty sure you won't find that combination in the outback

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah it seems pretty clear that the oceans are if not totally gone, much much smaller

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Len posted:

The setting has giant salt flats with wrecked cargo ships though. Pretty sure you won't find that combination in the outback

Prove it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would absolutely believe that some mad bastard would haul a derelict cargo ship into the middle of the outback just for the sake of doing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would absolutely believe that some mad bastard would haul a derelict cargo ship into the middle of the outback just for the sake of doing it.

Hey, treat Hugeus Dongus with more respect than that

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

Maybe not salt flats but aren't there are places in the world with lots of shipwrecks in the middle of the desert because the rivers and lakes dried out.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
So how cannon are the games? This entire conversation started with me talking about how cool the mad max games are, and the entire first half of the game explicetly takes place on the dried out ocean floor. There are whalebones and coral and multiple settlements made of grounded boats, and halfway through the game you fight your way uphill to the dried out marina and former boatlaunch. There's no more ocean, so the marina is a naturally defensible portion of the world now, as it's a massive cement structure that stretches for miles. One settlement is a former lighthouse on a hill, another is a former navy warship that now houses a community of cultists who's entire religion is based on the oceans coming back someday. Heck even Chumbucket himself has lived for years in a massive broken ship, and inside there are multiple sealed compartments filled with saltwater and muscles that he tends to and eats.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Jan 23, 2020

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
The ending of the Mad Max game was shattering. :(

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

So how cannon are the games?

I believe the game is supposed to have happened right before Fury Road picks up. I think there are some comics that fill in some of the blanks as well.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, does the games even give the slightest explanation for what happened to the oceans?
That much water doesn't just vanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, does the games even give the slightest explanation for what happened to the oceans?
That much water doesn't just vanish.

None of Mad Max really goes into the nature of the apocalypse that went down, because it doesn't really matter.