Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RBA Starblade posted:

They removed a lot of cool little touches around the arm cannon because they were canned animations, like the cannon overheating and smoking if you fire too long, or the x-ray visor showing you the bones in Samus's hand (those weird rear end little symbols for each beam? Samus is actually making them with her fingers!).

Other than that it's the one motion aiming success story

I actually kind of hated the Prime series Wii aiming. (Probably doesn't help matters that Echoes was a slog and Corruption just isn't very good.) The weird rear end Gamecube FPS control scheme they invented for Prime 1 was actually pretty decent, but definitely only worked because they built the game around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

My favorite video game of all time is still Chrono Trigger.

:hmmyes:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Should I play Fallout 4? I'm a massive Fallout 3 apologist and I really enjoyed New Vegas so I would probably dig it but I've always been cautious that 3rd time wouldn't be a charm

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Should I play Fallout 4? I'm a massive Fallout 3 apologist and I really enjoyed New Vegas so I would probably dig it but I've always been cautious that 3rd time wouldn't be a charm

Fallout 4 bored me to quit within about 3 hours. It dumbs down the RPG element to almost non-existence, the story is terrible and the shooting is mediocre. I guess it's probably ok with mods but the story would still be bad. New Vegas is still great though.

Atom RPG seems good from what I've played though!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd say everybody agrees Fallout 4 is a subpar incarnation of the Bethesda open world RPG model. If you like that model, it'll still be decent. If you were already on the edge about it, it'll be terrible for you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

My favorite video game of all time is still Chrono Trigger.

i'm extremely wary of anyone whose opinions haven't changed over the course of 25 years

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man, Telling Lies sucks a huge one, drat

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's why responsible parents teach their children to tell the truth

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
list of how good the numbers 1-10 are

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fallout 4 adding protagonist voice acting was a huge mistake because the VAs sound sarcastic no matter what type of personality you try to play them as, and the new bad dialogue system also reduced all conversation trees to only having 4 options or less.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

ymgve posted:

which one is the best though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only good game sam barlow ever made was Aisle

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

Fallout 4 adding protagonist voice acting was a huge mistake because the VAs sound sarcastic no matter what type of personality you try to play them as, and the new bad dialogue system also reduced all conversation trees to only having 4 options or less.

HATE NEWSPAPER

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

which one is the best though

if thats not intuitive from my list we have nothing in common and I hate you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fallout 4 is the worst game I have ever beaten. It's so mind-numbingly bad that you don't even have to think about playing it. If you've got 100 hours of podcasts to catch up on, FO4 is your best friend. If you want to play and enjoy a videogame, FO4 is a pile of dogshit you'll have to fish out of the doodie bag container.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked 3 more than 2 but I also played it first

That died pretty quickly after I realized there were no armor pieces to get, weapons don't matter, and stamina/health upgrades are seeds, so the mystery is if I'm going to find twenty bucks or more seeds

There are tons of puzzles and fights and quests and mysterious areas to explore literally all over the map, but since you only played for 20 hours I guess you missed most of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

HATE NEWSPAPER

At least that absurdity can be modded out pretty easily, the other issues are more fundamental.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Replaying GTA3 and I think Michael Madsen might have literally phoned-in his lines.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FO4 was a lot of fun, I enjoyed reviving an entire city and turning its people and resurrected industry towards the singular purpose of building me a laser sight

Weedle posted:

There are tons of puzzles and fights and quests and mysterious areas to explore literally all over the map, but since you only played for 20 hours I guess you missed most of it.

What were the rewards for those puzzles and fights

Was it more seeds

e: I know shrines have armor, I got some there, I mean in the open world itself. Also the shrines sucked bad

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
After FO4 kinda sucked and Outer Worlds seems to have gotten a lukewarm reception I wonder if we'll ever get another FO:NV again

At least we have Witcher 3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

On the plus side you got the Silver Shroud mission and I was mad as hell when I realized I couldn't do that for the entire rest of the game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

What were the rewards for those puzzles and fights

Was it more seeds

e: I know shrines have armor, I got some there, I mean in the open world itself. Also the shrines sucked bad

Orbs, equipment and treasure. Also the pleasure of exploration and overcoming challenges, if that's something you're interested in.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ymgve posted:

10. 6
9. 8
8. 4
7. 10
6. 2
5. 9
4. 1
3. 3
2. 7
1. 5

props to 3 for coming in 3rd. shame that 8 didn't quite make top 8 as it was edged out by 4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weedle posted:

Orbs, equipment and treasure. Also the pleasure of exploration and overcoming challenges, if that's something you're interested in.

I beat the hardest challenge the shrines threw at me, which was a couple guardians

I explored my way to an elephant robot that was a scripted linear quest that defies your attempts to not do it

I helped a couple people bang

I heard everyone want to gently caress Link except the people who thought he was too tiny

I got bored, went to Hyrule Castle expecting to get owned, then beat a bunch of Ganons in a row and learned in real time how to perfect parry the laser on my last shreds of health (just after the beep). I think I got the full experience :v:

Really though I'd love a Zelda that was just a supermassive mega dungeon like Hyrule Castle, that was super fun and good and made the rest look even duller, definitely a good cap for the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They tried a game that blurred the lines between the dungeon and the overworld and everyone hated it (Skyward Sword, although tbf that was far from the only thing wrong with it).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

They tried a game that blurred the lines between the dungeon and the overworld and everyone hated it (Skyward Sword, although tbf that was far from the only thing wrong with it).

that's because skyward sword was bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

that's because skyward sword was bad

Incredibly bad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Fallout 4 basically kills off all of the choice-making of previous games in favor of like two binary alignment choices, but if you didn't think Fallout3 did a very good job with that sort of stuff to begin with you might not miss it. It's much more a sequel to F3 than New Vegas, however, so if you liked what that game did in terms of storytelling this is a huge step backward. That being said, it's much more playable as a FPS than either previous games and if you're looking for a game that's much more about crafting guns and scavenging for parts, F4 is actually pretty good at that. The mods for the game that turn it into a survival game with hunger and thirst meters actually really make sense when you look at them as a whole with how the rest of the game operates, much more so than similar mods for 3/NV. F4 is all about looting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fallout 76 was a live experiment to see how bad a Bethesda game had to be to get bad reviews

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

fallout 76 was a live experiment to see how bad a Bethesda game had to be to get bad reviews

And even then people are still spending $100 a year on the subscription despite constant warnings that it will break your character and make the game unplayable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skyward Bored.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as long as i haven't played skyward sword i have not collapsed the waveform for whether it's good or bad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

between fallout 76 and anthem never have i seen games so universally, unanimously maligned and yet despite that continue to prompt rubes to not just play them but pay money for the privilege. it's like if coke came out with a poop flavored soda and a nonzero amount of people slapping cash on the table to not just try it once but continue to drink it because it's almost as good as the other coke stuff guys for real

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Weedle posted:

the problem is outside of a handful of areas the exploration was of very bland locales. the rewards were just junk because of durability so it never felt worth it on that side, and on the pure exploration side it fell far short of other options for that and im a guy who played the original nms just to explore, i love proteus, i loved noctis iv. i love walking sims. the exploration did not inspire because the world did not inspire. if every zone had the care and the variation that areas like the jungle, the gerudo area and death mountain have then it wouldve had more, but so much of the map is very bland. also it felt like everytime i did discover something cool i was punished. i found the lord of the mountain and managed to actually get on it and i was like ok this does own and then the stable says no, actually you cant have fun. you cant put it in a stable. its gone forever once you get off it. at that point id done 3 of the 4 beasts and had just the rito one left and powered through to the end because that legitimately annoyed me to the point of being done with the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Skyward Sword is 93 on metacritic

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Skyward Sword is 93 on metacritic

That's because it says Zelda on it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's because it says Zelda on it.

I think it's because the people reviewing it liked it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's 2 metacritic points lower than twilight princess which can't be great because twilight princess was boring and bland

but it does look colorful and it has groose....

also orchestral music

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

who are these aforementioned people and what other videogames do they like

do they like anthem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of want to play botw again now