Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

How do you guys feel about drugs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1gl46hh3sQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fartbox posted:

man the first 20 years of my live was garbage, just utter poo poo and I still never got depressed.

It must really suck to be depressed. My thoughts and prayers go out to all youse with the braintroubles

This is so weird to me. I've literally been depressed all my life. It's hard for me to even comprehend how people can not be. Like there are really people out there who've never had their brain call them garbage and a piece of poo poo for hours on end for years. I guess it's like color blindness.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dizzee Rascal is awesome, not his music, but his whole insano concept is just wonderful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Ape of Naples posted:

This is so weird to me. I've literally been depressed all my life. It's hard for me to even comprehend how people can not be. Like there are really people out there who've never had their brain call them garbage and a piece of poo poo for hours on end for years. I guess it's like color blindness.

It might literally be like color blindness.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Dizzee Rascal is awesome, not his music, but his whole insano concept is just wonderful.

Grime has a lot of great videos, slowthai, Stomzy etc have some of that same insanity in them.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

man the first 20 years of my live was garbage, just utter poo poo and I still never got depressed.

It must really suck to be depressed. My thoughts and prayers go out to all youse with the braintroubles

The first thing I tell people when it comes up is that depression is inherently irrational. It doesn't matter how great life might be going for a person with depression right now; if their brain gets a wire crossed, it's crushing depression o'clock. Telling someone with depression to cheer up and appreciate life is like telling someone with schizophrenia to stop hearing voices.

The best way I can describe how it hits me is that a non-depressed person's lovely day is my emotional baseline, mixed with constant recurring thoughts of failure and hopelessness, and punctuated by days or weeks of crushing, can't get out of bed, major depression. Sometimes those major depressive episodes start a panic attack, which feeds the depression, which feeds the panic attack, and so on, leaving me unable to do anything but sit in a chair hugging my knees and shaking. I actually like when that happens, first because it's easier for me to separate the rational part of my brain from the rest of it when the rest of it is going bugfuck crazy, and second because the depression spiral tends to burn itself out in a few hours rather than a few days or weeks.

I guess the combination of Lexapro and Wellbutrin I'm on explains why I get so horny I shake uncontrollably while still only being able to push rope, though. The more you know!

:smith::hf::smith:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This is really fascinating. I've wondered given the (relatively) recent discovery of psychedelics' efficacy in treating some forms of depression and similar maladies has any associated connection with the vibrancy of colors while under their affects as well.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

OutOfPrint posted:

The first thing I tell people when it comes up is that depression is inherently irrational. It doesn't matter how great life might be going for a person with depression right now; if their brain gets a wire crossed, it's crushing depression o'clock. Telling someone with depression to cheer up and appreciate life is like telling someone with schizophrenia to stop hearing voices.

The best way I can describe how it hits me is that a non-depressed person's lovely day is my emotional baseline, mixed with constant recurring thoughts of failure and hopelessness, and punctuated by days or weeks of crushing, can't get out of bed, major depression. Sometimes those major depressive episodes start a panic attack, which feeds the depression, which feeds the panic attack, and so on, leaving me unable to do anything but sit in a chair hugging my knees and shaking. I actually like when that happens, first because it's easier for me to separate the rational part of my brain from the rest of it when the rest of it is going bugfuck crazy, and second because the depression spiral tends to burn itself out in a few hours rather than a few days or weeks.

I guess the combination of Lexapro and Wellbutrin I'm on explains why I get so horny I shake uncontrollably while still only being able to push rope, though. The more you know!

:smith::hf::smith:

I feel this.

On my worst days I crave the non-existence/blackness of a dreamless sleep. Its like an orgasm to my depressed brain.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DandyLion posted:

This is really fascinating. I've wondered given the (relatively) recent discovery of psychedelics' efficacy in treating some forms of depression and similar maladies has any associated connection with the vibrancy of colors while under their affects as well.

Spent a few months with extreme anxiety and depression due to a health issue and I remember my vision going grey. For about a month it was like a hood was over my face, it was hard to look at the world which was mostly dark or achromatic, I felt constant anxiety and doom, it was really something to experience. But it resolved when my issues resolved and my anxiety relented.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I feel y'all bout depression and anxiety. I've never not been depressed in my life. I was depressed before I could talk. I was a suicidal toddler and asked questions like "would anybody miss me if I just died?" Turns out I have gender dysphoria and it only took 35 years to figure it out!
I still occasionally run the cost / benefit analysis of me being dead for my loved ones, but I haven't been actually suicidal in nearly 10 years.

I'm also partially color-blind and often described my depression / dysphoria as living in a bubble or living in a fog and being one step removed from reality, like my body was a puppet or a robot I was driving.
I even wrote a poem after I figured out I was trans called "seeing in color" describing how the world now looked different.
Our brains are weird.

Funny picture.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

HPanda posted:

Unfortunately, the main problem with Lexapro in my case was that it made finishing 100% impossible. So sex was pretty amazing but deeply frustrating at the same time.

I did like that Lexapro also massively helped my anxiety, but the cost was too great.

As a fellow SSRI user it is a HUGE drawback, but not enough for me to stop taking it.

Honestly the best way I deal with it was cutting down the dosage as low as possible so that it's at least possible to cross the finish line with enough effort, but maaaaaaaan does it wall you lots of times :gonk:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Parrotine posted:

As a fellow SSRI user it is a HUGE drawback, but not enough for me to stop taking it.

Honestly the best way I deal with it was cutting down the dosage as low as possible so that it's at least possible to cross the finish line with enough effort, but maaaaaaaan does it wall you lots of times :gonk:

Can you skip a dose like the day before you go out on a date or have an engagement you are expecting to have to perform (or does it need to be all the way flushed from your system before you can avoid the effects)?

https://twitter.com/EddyElfenbein/status/1023760465518768130

DandyLion has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jan 23, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Depends on the half-life but if you get the point where you can cum normally you're also getting the brain zaps so I'd recommend against it

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Can you skip a dose like the day before you go out on a date or have an engagement you are expecting to have to perform (or does it need to be all the way flushed from your system before you can avoid the effects)?

It takes at least a good week minimum before you start getting stronger sensation, and like the above poster mentioned, the brain zaps are actually quite painful, especially at higher doses. I used to take a different SSRI medication (Effexor) at 300 mg before switching over to a better alternative, and miscalculated how much I had left while studying abroad. Had to wait at least a week before I got my refill mailed to me and was hurting like a motherfucker waiting for it. So yeah, don't do that, for your health and sanity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One time in college I went off for a week so I could trip more intensely (SSRIs gently caress up psychedelics, or so I've been told) and holy hell was that a bad idea

Also effexor is an SNRI which is like the next step up from SSRIs and tend to have more side effects. I've been on one SSRI or another for 20 years and I don't really have side effects from them anymore but I know people who get poleaxed by Paxil. The important thing to remember when pursing medical treatment for a mental illness is that all the meds affect people differently and if one doesn't work or has unacceptable side effects, that doesn't mean that another one will so you have to keep after it as best you can

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jan 23, 2020

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Groda posted:

Terry Gilliam is an American.

:actually: he's a naturalized british citizen and renounced his american citizenship in 2006. Not that it makes any difference though.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Hey fellow broke brains! I have Anxiety, Depression and PTSD along with the chronic pains that one gets from 20 years in the military. I've taken most of the drugs you guys have mentioned and nothing really worked until recently. Taking Lamotragine, Trazadone and Medicinal THC (breath spray and capsules) and I'm usually almost normal. The best thing is, I can't travel outside of my home state with the THC so the one thing that helps the most with the pain and the PTSD stays home when I go on vacation. For those times I take Klonopin, Trazadone and Flexoril. How great is it that THC takes the place of those three meds and seriously every loving state that hasn't figured this out can suck on my taint. Especially my home state of SD where I would be a felon just for showing up and feeling good. Support Are Troops though of course.

Anyway here's a funny picture from a couple of years ago a friend of mine in the National Guard posted.

And another, not from a friend of mine

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Somebody needs to flip that car over and set it on fire.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

One time in college I went off for a week so I could trip more intensely (SSRIs gently caress up psychedelics, or so I've been told) and holy hell was that a bad idea

Also effexor is an SNRI which is like the next step up from SSRIs and tend to have more side effects. I've been on one SSRI or another for 20 years and I don't really have side effects from them anymore but I know people who get poleaxed by Paxil. The important thing to remember when pursing medical treatment for a mental illness is that all the meds affect people differently and if one doesn't work or has unacceptable side effects, that doesn't mean that another one will so you have to keep after it as best you can

Yeah, I've found meds to be useless. I just felt the side effects. I was on over the recommended dose of Zoloft ( I think the psyche was miffed and trying to prove a point) as well las Wellbutrin. At first I liked the sexual delay that the Zoloft provided but then it just made me impotent so I was like gently caress that. I intended to taper off but just dumped both cold turkey. I was insanely sleepy for a day or two and then...nothing. I felt the same minus the side effects. I'm pretty much over the whole therapist/psych/med thing because I just feel like they do nothing for me and wouldn't ever bother with meds again. I'm just waiting for depression and anxiety to swallow me whole and kill me at this point. Vodka helps, yeah, there are side effects with that too...

Anyway, here's a pic I find funny. Don't hate me.
Edit: I can't seem to figure out how to post an image even though I've done it a number of times before. Lol. I'm an idiot. This post will be my funny image I guess.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jan 23, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Somebody needs to flip that car over and set it on fire.

Like a Boss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I've found meds to be useless. I just felt the side effects. I was on over the recommended dose of Zoloft ( I think the psyche was miffed and trying to prove a point) as well las Wellbutrin. At first I liked the sexual delay that the Zoloft provided but then it just made me impotent so I was like gently caress that. I intended to taper off but just dumped both cold turkey. I was insanely sleepy for a day or two and then...nothing. I felt the same minus the side effects. I'm pretty much over the whole therapist/psych/med thing because I just feel like they do nothing for me and wouldn't ever bother with meds again. I'm just waiting for depression and anxiety to swallow me whole and kill me at this point. Vodka helps, yeah, there are side effects with that too...

Anyway, here's a pic I find funny. Don't hate me.
Edit: I can't seem to figure out how to post an image even though I've done it a number of times before. Lol. I'm an idiot. This post will be my funny image I guess.

A lot of people end up where you are but my advice is only keep after it if you have the means, it's better than drinking away suicidal ideation. There are a lot more options than just two first-line SSRIs. Also, and again I understand insurance bullshit is especially bad with MH professionals, shop around for different psychiatrists, there's somewhat of a art to diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders so provider quality and skill matters a lot.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

A lot of people end up where you are but my advice is only keep after it if you have the means, it's better than drinking away suicidal ideation. There are a lot more options than just two first-line SSRIs. Also, and again I understand insurance bullshit is especially bad with MH professionals, shop around for different psychiatrists, there's somewhat of a art to diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders so provider quality and skill matters a lot.

Thanks. But nah, I know it's all a joke. There isn't any help.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I’ve tried a whole bunch of meds but the only thing that ever worked for me was Strattera. For the first time in my life I was happy, clear headed, and excited for the future.

Unfortunately I had to stop when it literally hosed up my back (which I’m still dealing with, one surgery and years later), caused my resting heart rate to be above 90bpm constantly, made it impossible to ejaculate (I would get hard as a rock, and even orgasm, but nothing would come out), and made me bleed when I peed.

I’d give anything to feel that way again, and in a way it’s almost worse now because I know how amazing life can be but am back stuck in this depressive fog that’s consumed my entire life.

Currently trying SAMe and it reminds me a little bit of Strattera, but it’s early days so who knows how it’ll pan out.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rabble posted:

I’ve tried a whole bunch of meds but the only thing that ever worked for me was Strattera. For the first time in my life I was happy, clear headed, and excited for the future.

Unfortunately I had to stop when it literally hosed up my back (which I’m still dealing with, one surgery and years later), caused my resting heart rate to be above 90bpm constantly, made it impossible to ejaculate (I would get hard as a rock, and even orgasm, but nothing would come out), and made me bleed when I peed.

I’d give anything to feel that way again, and in a way it’s almost worse now because I know how amazing life can be but am back stuck in this depressive fog that’s consumed my entire life.

Currently trying SAMe and it reminds me a little bit of Strattera, but it’s early days so who knows how it’ll pan out.

When I started Zoloft it gave me some hypomania so I thought it was working. For a brief few months I felt "normal" though it did nothing for my anxiety so nothing in my life changed. I often wonder if that is common in people who just need to get back on track and makes it seem like the meds actually work. I'm dubious about meds. I think they're just a patch. For quality people they probably do enough to get the ship righted, as it were. But for people who really need it I'm not sure they help at all in the end. I'll never take them again.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

zoux posted:

I've been on one SSRI or another for 20 years and I don't really have side effects from them anymore but I know people who get poleaxed by Paxil.

Aw nuts, Paxil is what I switched to

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parrotine posted:

Aw nuts, Paxil is what I switched to

I was using it as an example of an extremely mild, widely used, and long-used drug as a counterpoint to emphasize how drugs, even the most benign ones, effect everyone differently. Paxil is super low impact as far as psych meds go, I wouldn't worry about it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Gay Horney has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jan 24, 2020

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

The only thing that positively affected my depression was weed. It feels so weird to feel joy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/1OuMCGN.mp4

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Speaking of anxiety...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also related, and I think this is a good thing because gently caress mental health stigma:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Also related, and I think this is a good thing because gently caress mental health stigma:

drat straight. Mental health is health.

Also, "raw dogging reality" is going to be a permanent fixture in my lexicon from here on. Goddamn what a good phrase.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

OutOfPrint posted:

... "raw dogging reality" ...

Not even once is my opinion.

The chance of an unwanted perception/realization is too great.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

bike tory posted:

I love how Gen X still gets left out these debates.

Then again, Gen X thinks this is Therapy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUl85X4nYBE

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As a gen xer who has never been to therapy or been depressed I think it is incredibly helpful.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Android Apocalypse posted:

I love how Gen X still gets left out these debates.

Then again, Gen X thinks this is Therapy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUl85X4nYBE

we self-medicate with heroin

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Depressing, but true.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

As a gen xer who has never been to therapy or been depressed I think it is incredibly helpful.

This is fascinating to me. To me therapy is the middle. I just assume most people have been. Like going to the gym. I'm beyond it, on the other side so it's as weird to me as it might be to you. But, I can't understand what life is like for someone who isn't constantly just poo poo upon. I had a friend who said she was never depressed. And I was like "when was the last time someone told you you were poo poo"? And she looked offended. Never! She couldn't comprehend that it was punctuation to me. Like, even if I did something competent or more my brain would go "Oh wow! No one likes you, you [redacted]". There are people on the planet who don't get bullied and put down every second by their brain. I would literally go to jail if my psyche was a separate person and treated me the way it does. It'd make the news. I can't fathom a life without those limits. I think it's like if I was born without legs and just thinking "why aren't you running all the time"?

Sorry to rant. It's rude, I know. Kinda losing it. lol. Having a bad day and this is really the only place I can communicate with. Don't make me go to Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sorry to rant. It's rude, I know. Kinda losing it. lol. Having a bad day and this is really the only place I can communicate with. Don't make me go to Reddit.

Man this is really the wrong thread for this, so I'll bow out of the convo at this point by saying it sucks in unimaginable ways (and I'm not qualified to offer clinical advise in any sense nor is there some flippant bullshit I can say that will make you feel better or make it better), but there are so many of us just like you, and there is camaraderie and support to be had if you need to talk (and we all do). Come on over to the E/N threads.