Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

I must have missed something. How did it blow up in their faces? I remember some stolen art which is obviously not great but not that bad.
Like Crazycryodude alluded to, the game is a reskinned copy of a different mobile pay 2 win game. Like, pretty much exactly the same, from what I read, just re-skinned to use Stellaris names/terms/themes. A blatant cash grab rather than them trying to actually put out a quality game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think their current DLC model is alright, for the most part. Not amazing, but I cannot think of anything better; Total War: Warhammer's DLC and DLC model have been great... otherwise I am stumped for something even somewhat comparable. I think if they did what other people have already mentioned, like for example: folding DLC that are over a certain age into the base game, so they can:
1.) Leverage the functionality added to those older DLC when adding new functionality in new DLC, so systems do not get left behind or end up separated when they could be a part of a bigger whole
2.) Drive down the cost of buying into the game from scratch

It would reduce some of the tedium that I am sure both designers and coders have to deal with in terms of "Oh cant do that, <whateverTheyAreWorkingOn> cannot be associated with <otherFeatureFrom3YearOldDLC>, so we have to do it this suboptimal way instead."

I personally think the current model is okay because it lets me speak with my wallet. I did not like the direction EU4 was going, with "Innovativeness", Trade Company bullcrap, and other new mana bars or whatever, so I stopped buying DLC. I have no idea if others did the same or just got bored of the game, but then the EU4 team spent all of 2019 and will spent a part of 2020 doing an overhaul of some sort of a ton of game systems, including folding a few essential DLC elements into the basegame, which I think it is awesome because it will be addressing quite a few glaring issues that people had with the game.

i agree it would be better if they had been folding them in as they go but as it stands its kinda... a lot? each dlc is pretty small for the cost. i dont like dlc much anyway but its also hard to argue that in this case it has meant theyve supported the one game for 7 years now so its a difficult one, but folding them up into a base bundle like you said or just cutting the dlc prices down as they release new ones would make things a lot better and would be more palatable than moving a subscription. like it doesnt make a lot of sense that wealth of nations still has a regular price of £8, could probably just throw that in with the main game or cut its price down at this point.

its certainly still better than a subscription though, especially if you have the patience to just wait for things like the humble bundle giving you everything but dharma for $17.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The reskin of garbage p2w mobile game "galaxy command" (by the people who made stellaris mobile) was so lazy that the stolen art highlights were halo scenes with pelican dropships photoshopped out but the series most iconic vehicle, the warthog, front and center.

Some art was actually stolen from stellaris :lol::lol:

Oh and if you did the tutorial it referred to the game as 'galaxy command' several times.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Family Values posted:

I'm trying to imagine a non-capitalist centrally-planned gaming scene and all I'm coming up with is thousands of America's Army clones.

Paradox had been operating under mercantilism principles until recently.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I still kinda like the idea of 'Seasons'.

CK3 2021 Season has two standard price DLCs like the current model
CK3 2022 2 DLCs
CK3 2023 2 DLCs (2021 season is folded into base game, no longer available for sale)
CK3 2024 2 DLCs (2022 season is folded into base game, no longer available for sale)
etc etc

Thinking about pricing, I bought all EUIV DLC on release, which according to Steam is $40 for base game and around another $340 for DLC, so $380 on EUIV. Yikes!
Game came out in August 2013, if I'd paid $5 a month every month since release to be an EUIV subscriber it would have been
(6 years * 12) = 72 + 5 months to bring us to today 77 months * $5 = $385.

Huh.

Except I probably wouldn't have kept it active, there would have been long swaths between DLC where I'm playing other stuff and would have switched it off. I have a feeling my actual suspcription cost would have been like a third of that if I was being proactive about switching it off. Paradox games are definitely games where I'm really in the mood for them for X amount of time and then take a break for 3+ months.

If the DLC quality was good I might pay $10 a month for an All Access Paradox Pass, which is All Games & All DLC. But I dunno at some point there it makes more sense to just be picky and get the exact dlc.

Darkrenown posted:

A subscription model is horrible and means you can coast along on shoddy DLCs due to sunk costs instead of needing each DLC to generate its own sales. And production schedules will demand things ship on time no matter the quality since people will have already paid for them.

:smith:

F

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Like Crazycryodude alluded to, the game is a reskinned copy of a different mobile pay 2 win game. Like, pretty much exactly the same, from what I read, just re-skinned to use Stellaris names/terms/themes. A blatant cash grab rather than them trying to actually put out a quality game.

It's not a reskin, just a reused error code. The problem is that there are a billion of these "empire builder" mobile timer games out there and none of them are interesting enough for anyone to remember.

Saros posted:

Oh and if you did the tutorial it referred to the game as 'galaxy command' several times.

"Stellaris: Galaxy Command" is the name of the game though?

The game it is supposedly a reskin of is Nova Empire.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/ess8dd/i_got_the_subscription_message_which_was/

The EU4 sub is about four euro per month, apparently.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Cease to Hope posted:

"Stellaris: Galaxy Command" is the name of the game though?

The game it is supposedly a reskin of is Nova Empire.

Whoops got the wires crossed with the names.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

thats not going to be the same price you get in the rest of europe or in the us

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I think their current DLC model is alright, for the most part. Not amazing, but I cannot think of anything better; Total War: Warhammer's DLC and DLC model have been great... otherwise I am stumped for something even somewhat comparable. I think if they did what other people have already mentioned, like for example: folding DLC that are over a certain age into the base game, so they can:
1.) Leverage the functionality added to those older DLC when adding new functionality in new DLC, so systems do not get left behind or end up separated when they could be a part of a bigger whole
2.) Drive down the cost of buying into the game from scratch

It would reduce some of the tedium that I am sure both designers and coders have to deal with in terms of "Oh cant do that, <whateverTheyAreWorkingOn> cannot be associated with <otherFeatureFrom3YearOldDLC>, so we have to do it this suboptimal way instead."

I personally think the current model is okay because it lets me speak with my wallet. I did not like the direction EU4 was going, with "Innovativeness", Trade Company bullcrap, and other new mana bars or whatever, so I stopped buying DLC. I have no idea if others did the same or just got bored of the game, but then the EU4 team spent all of 2019 and will spent a part of 2020 doing an overhaul of some sort of a ton of game systems, including folding a few essential DLC elements into the basegame, which I think it is awesome because it will be addressing quite a few glaring issues that people had with the game.

What's the Total Warhammer DLC model? Isn't it simply one DLC per additional race you wanna play? Also they brought out another entire game that is more like an addon and compatible with the first one online somehow?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally I cant even consider to pay a subscription to play 1 game

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
paradox games have a 6-10 year life cycle, that is too ridiculously long for a subscription service

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elias_Maluco posted:

COMING SOON TO A HOUSEHOLD NEAR YOU

Monthly Bills
- Rent/Mortgage
- Electric + gas utility
- Internet service
- Cell phone
- Netflx/Hulu/Disney+
- Europa Universalis 4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess its not bad if its just a way to trial all the DLCs, but I don't think thats where they're going with this...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Stux posted:

So, the equivalent of (re)buying a new game at full price, each year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the Total Warhammer DLC model? Isn't it simply one DLC per additional race you wanna play?
I just got into fairly recently, and the DLC model that they have moved to has been new Legendary Lords for existing factions, usually in a "new lord vs new lord" fashion. Each update has come with updates/improvements/additions to the two factions that the Legendary Lords are a part of. Additionally, each DLC has come with an associated "FLC" (for free DLC) Legendary Lord that is additional content for free, I guess? The DLC have been $10 and you get a buck off for pre-ordering it. Its nice because it is optional if you dont like the faction(s) that are part of the DLC you dont have to buy it, but its $10 a quarter for making the game better, usually in many ways.

GrossMurpel posted:

Also they brought out another entire game that is more like an addon and compatible with the first one online somehow?
I'm an idiot and dont understand what you are saying/asking here. Oh you mean Total War: Warhammer 2 was an addon to TW:WH 1? Then yes; the first game had a small map... think Europe in EU4. Then the second game was based in Africa, Atlantis, and all of the Western Hemisphere (without Europe). BUT, they made it so if you own both 1 and 2, you get access to a Grand Campaign that is both maps merged together. When they do the DLCs for the second game they still enhance the Grand Campaign stuff, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 23, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

never played WoW? :v:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So, the equivalent of (re)buying a new game at full price, each year.

If you sub for the full year, in which case you're presumably the type of player that should just buy instead of rent. (That presumes that buying the DLC outright will remain an option) If you just want to try first, or if you only play occasionally then you don't have to be subbed full time.

I don't know, I might be being overly generous to Paradox. I already own all the (non-fluff) DLC so it's not going to impact me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I just got into fairly recently, and the DLC model that they have moved to has been new Legendary Lords for existing factions, usually in a "new lord vs new lord" fashion. Each update has come with updates/improvements/additions to the two factions that the Legendary Lords are a part of. Additionally, each DLC has come with an associated "FLC" (for free DLC) Legendary Lord that is additional content for free, I guess? The DLC have been $10 and you get a buck off for pre-ordering it. Its nice because it is optional if you dont like the faction(s) that are part of the DLC you dont have to buy it, but its $10 a quarter for making the game better, usually in many ways.

I'm an idiot and dont understand what you are saying/asking here. Oh you mean Total War: Warhammer 2 was an addon to TW:WH 1? Then yes; the first game had a small map... think Europe in EU4. Then the second game was based in Africa, Atlantis, and all of the Western Hemisphere (without Europe). BUT, they made it so if you own both 1 and 2, you get access to a Grand Campaign that is both maps merged together. When they do the DLCs for the second game they still enhance the Grand Campaign stuff, too.

I didn't know you get a bigger campaign with both games, that's kinda neat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The big difference with the Warhammer DLCs for me is that everything that affects the base races, characters, and units gets added for free to the base game, so all the DLCs are completely optional. With EU you can't necessarily just evaluate Dharma based on if you want to play in India, for example.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'd pay for a subscription to a library of pc strategy games (like Shudder gets you horror films), but I don't see this going well if it's only one game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hate software as a service and I want to be able to quit playing a game for a good chunk of time and still have it to come back to later.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

17,99 PLN equates to $4,69/€4,24.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So am I too understand that the subscription is only for the DLC? Because loving lol.

You have to buy the game, then subscribe for the DLC.

Paradox, hire me! I think I have great ideas inline with your company philosophy. As evidence, I submit this diploma certifying that I graduated from Clown College.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Stux posted:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They literally say they're just experimenting with models because they have no idea what works or is reasonable in this space and you nerds pause only long enough to catch your breath from complaining about how expensive all the dlc is to complaining about having the option to get it for less.

Lots of people like to consume software in different ways. The first DLC was considered an abomination that would kill 'true' expansion packs, now it's considered the primary way of delivering additional content. I'm always going to be the person who prefers to have my own 'library' that I own and can browse for old goodies every now and again but I can absolutely see that there a big segment of the market who will absolutely go for a Netflix style way of getting access to games. I think the only problem from Paradox's perspective is that it seems intuitively that that model works more for collections of games that are 5-10 hours long and designed to be played once, rather than the infinitely replayable model Paradox goes for.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alchenar posted:

They literally say they're just experimenting with models because they have no idea what works or is reasonable in this space and you nerds pause only long enough to catch your breath from complaining about how expensive all the dlc is to complaining about having the option to get it for less.

Lots of people like to consume software in different ways. The first DLC was considered an abomination that would kill 'true' expansion packs, now it's considered the primary way of delivering additional content. I'm always going to be the person who prefers to have my own 'library' that I own and can browse for old goodies every now and again but I can absolutely see that there a big segment of the market who will absolutely go for a Netflix style way of getting access to games. I think the only problem from Paradox's perspective is that it seems intuitively that that model works more for collections of games that are 5-10 hours long and designed to be played once, rather than the infinitely replayable model Paradox goes for.

lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'll buy DLCs, i'll never pay for *thing* as a service

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Alchenar posted:

The first DLC was considered an abomination that would kill 'true' expansion packs

it did, op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
yeah youre right, an ongoing subscription for a game with infinite replayability? complete mismatch! what are they thinking! lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why would i want to rent every game i play monthly

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think the move makes sense in the ongoing project for Paradox to bring in new players who might be unfamiliar with GSGs. By Paradox's reasoning they don't want new players to feel like they're missing out on content because they bought the base game and don't know what expansions are required/ good/wastes of money. It might also bring back in lapsed players who likewise don't want to browse a subreddit or a thread just to work out if they need to buy 5 xpacs just to play the game in its 'current' state.

Paradox games have long tails, which is good for current players and their core audience but makes it harder for new people to get in (or at least creates that perception). It's clear they're trying to think about how to balance supporting their games post release with bringing in new customers through games with rather long lives. I don't play paradox games as much anymore - I also don't really like EU4 that much. But when La Resistance comes out, I'd pay 5 bucks to play HoI4 for a month with all the xpacs every now and then.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

The Narrator posted:

I think the move makes sense in the ongoing project for Paradox to bring in new players who might be unfamiliar with GSGs. By Paradox's reasoning they don't want new players to feel like they're missing out on content because they bought the base game and don't know what expansions are required/ good/wastes of money. It might also bring back in lapsed players who likewise don't want to browse a subreddit or a thread just to work out if they need to buy 5 xpacs just to play the game in its 'current' state.

Paradox games have long tails, which is good for current players and their core audience but makes it harder for new people to get in (or at least creates that perception). It's clear they're trying to think about how to balance supporting their games post release with bringing in new customers through games with rather long lives. I don't play paradox games as much anymore - I also don't really like EU4 that much. But when La Resistance comes out, I'd pay 5 bucks to play HoI4 for a month with all the xpacs every now and then.

its because itll make more money

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I would have a lot more sympathy if their expansions weren't mainly A) changing features that were poorly thought out or unacceptably bare in the first place, or B) adding features that don't actually make the game any better

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

love paying to have more numbers to keep track of

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jeoh posted:

love paying to have more numbers to keep track of

Unironically this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

More money doesn’t mean worsening things for their core demographic, just suckering in new guys. If this lowers the bar to entry for folks to try the game with the DLC? Good! If it is the same thing but is net cheaper, some backend concerns but still cool.

I’d happily sub for something like a buck a month for just the fluff DLC, which is way more than I’d spend on them normally.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will keep buying DLC until every tag has a unique sort of points that it can accumulate to get OP bonuses

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly, given the sheer amount of money I have spent on this game in relation to the time I have spent, I think a sub model would have been cheaper for me if it had been there since the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Stux posted:

its because itll make more money

Well yeah