Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Residences in Japan have tankless water heaters that are totally inscrutable to foreigners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPRjnWhjo3U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

B-Nasty posted:

American Standard Cadet 3 ($130) or Champion 4 ($180). Totos are for people that want their toilet to look like a MOMA exhibit or those that like to overspend in order to feel like they bought 'the best'.

Toto's main advantage a while back were the porcelain coating and their tornado dual flush, of which the patents have expired. I think the main issue with American Standard was that their low GPM models would not flush as well, but this is only relevant to states that have very stringent GPM standards.

I suspect the following:

1) Toto toilets have a better flush for a lower GPM restriction; American Standard have a better flush without a GPM restriction.
2) Toto recently has designed toilets to be more easy to clean along the exterior sides (so that's why they look like they are from outer space)
3) Bidet.

But that being said,

https://www.totousa.com/drake-two-piece-toilet-16-gpf-elongated-bowl-cefiontect

Remember that you get 40% off, so you are really comparing $200 to $180, which is peanuts in the grand scheme of a remodel.

Salty Bitch
Jan 22, 2020

Senor Tron posted:

My wife wants one of those, and I'm slowly coming around to the idea.

Don't do it. You will regret it.

They're hella expensive. And they honestly haven't really got all the kinks out yet. I don't know why they can't figure out how to get poo poo down the one pieces yet, but they haven't. There's plenty with similar looks and clean lines that can appease her.

If you have to do it, just get one with the normal trip lever, not the buttons.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Can you use bondo to make it look like you have a 1-piece toilet?

Also,
Crappy construction tales: You dunce, you loving imbecile

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This reminds me of an AirBnB I stayed at in Prague. The bathroom had an inline gas-powered water boiler, which had a habit of turning off halfway through showering. The person who normally lived in the apartment was a med student, and had assumed the heater was exhausting the oxygen in the room. She'd even put an oxygen meter next to it, and there were instructions about this that came with the apartment.

What I realised is that there was some kind of flow switch in the boiler, and the shower was drawing just too little water to keep the heat on consistently. If I also ran the hot water in the basin, it kept hot consistently and I could have a decent shower. I did mention that to her afterwards, and hopefully her life now involves more consistently hot showers and less worrying about oxygen starvation.

No idea why it was set up like that. It was some kind of weird Soviet-era Czech-made thing.

I moved into a house where the idiot owner had moved all the en suite bathrooms for no good reason, which hosed up the pressure going to the upstairs. We had a tankless water heater, and the heat came on based on pressure at the outgoing spigot -- if the machine detected a drop in pressure, it would cut the heat off after 4 minutes.

I replaced the showerhead with one of those high pressure swimming pool sorta things, and it was fine.

One of my toilets is a Kohler, not sure if it's a Cimmaron (why would you name something after the worst car ever made?), but it's a one piece with the plastic column flusher inside, and I loving hate it. The column base isn't completely level, so sometimes it rests on the gasket in such a way that the tank continuously fills until I pull the lid off and jimmy the column. I should really replace it, but I'd have to move furniture to get enough clearance, and also I'm lazy. I've already replaced a half dozen toilet's guts in the past two years and I'm tired of it.

The last toilet fuckup that required repairs was because I slipped on the tiles while mopping the floor, tried to catch myself on the first thing I saw, and put my hand entirely through the toilet tank, which disintegrated beneath me. Sent my apartment maintenance people a photo in an email after I cleaned up, and got radio silence for 8 months. They eventually told me I'd have to pay for it because it was my fault (for falling over on a slick floor), so I told them to gently caress off, bought a replacement tank from some company in Clearwater, FL (SCIENTOLOGY TOILET), and installed it myself. The Scientology Toilet and its mate in the other bathroom work just fine now, and the Kohler still sucks at its job.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

ntan1 posted:

1) Toto toilets have a better flush for a lower GPM restriction; American Standard have a better flush without a GPM restriction.

Those two models are at 1.28G for a flush (no dual flush modes.) I know Toto makes some 1.1G, but really, who cares about 2 and a half cups of water for residential. Both are >=1000 on the MAP poop score.

I think it basically comes down to looks and name, which is fine, I guess. My colon isn't picky.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

Residences in Japan have tankless water heaters that are totally inscrutable to foreigners.

I am coming around to the idea that the entire population of Japan is well onto the spectrum.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

ntan1 posted:

Toto's main advantage a while back were the porcelain coating and their tornado dual flush, of which the patents have expired. I think the main issue with American Standard was that their low GPM models would not flush as well, but this is only relevant to states that have very stringent GPM standards.

I had 2 American Standards in my house in Northern CA and they were amazing.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

sleepy gary posted:

Also,

You can use ramen noodles

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Landlord removed back porch on my second story apartment without notice, I just almost stepped out the door and fell down a 30ft drop (self.legaladvice)

I’m in New Orleans, LA. This evening I arrived home from work and went to let my dog out the back door of my second story apartment, when I stepped through the door the landing was entirely gone. I was able to throw myself backwards so as not to fall a story down onto the concrete below, and just barely grab my dog who usually races out the door. There are no lights out back, and I was never notified of the porch being removed. It’s literally a 30ft drop onto concrete right outside my back door. This seems insanely dangerous. I feel incredibly lucky that me and my dog weren’t hurt or killed.

Yesterday I ran into my neighbor who told me that she had happened to speak in passing with one of the guys who had been working on the shed in our backyard, and he mentioned something to the effect of doing some work on the porch, but it was never stated that they would be removing the entire structure. I just assumed they were replacing the railing, which was falling apart. If my neighbor hadn’t happened to speak with that construction worker and pass that on to me, I certainly wouldn’t have paused to have a look and absolutely would have fallen.

I’ve gone back through my emails and phone records, and the landlord hasn’t sent any notice of this that I have overlooked, despite sending an email earlier today to say that a construction worker stepped in pet waste and all tenants would pay a $50 fee the next time there was dog poop in the yard. Since the shock has worn off, I’m feeling really pissed. How could you send an email about some dog poo but not bother to warn tenants about a drop off right outside their door? Is this legal? Is there anything I can do? I’m not looking to sue Wi

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That's an older style heater (usually next to tiny square tubs that I hate). ECO CUTE is king now.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 23, 2020

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bacon Taco posted:

I had 2 American Standards in my house in Northern CA and they were amazing.

Depends on year made :/. My house has American Standard too (that I'm replacing) and the ones in the 80s were great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
now this is plumbing/house chat

I want an in-wall tank wall mount toilet, other than kohler veil what's available in the US market. I'm cramped for space and want an easy to clean floor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Salty Bitch posted:

Don't do it. You will regret it.

They're hella expensive. And they honestly haven't really got all the kinks out yet. I don't know why they can't figure out how to get poo poo down the one pieces yet, but they haven't. There's plenty with similar looks and clean lines that can appease her.

If you have to do it, just get one with the normal trip lever, not the buttons.

Should clarify that I don't mean that particular brand, rather a toilet with a sink built in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sleepy gary posted:

Also,

Putting a body kit and a spoiler on my toilet

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Doesn't seem super inscrutable. The back valve changes which fixture the water comes from, the right valve has off, light pilot, and on (as well as perhaps "more on") settings, and I'd bet the left one controls flow rate and therefore temperature also.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
In-wall tanks always gently caress me up because if poo poo breaks you gotta punch out the wall again.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
They're also conducive to leaking and difficult to install, because you have to very carefully mount them in between two studs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dr.Smasher posted:

In-wall tanks always gently caress me up because if poo poo breaks you gotta punch out the wall again.

Unless America does that a lot different than Europe, it's possible to maintain them just through the section with the button you use for the flushing. Still a pain in the rear end, but doable, and in a small bathroom it can save ou a bunch of space.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Senor Tron posted:

Should clarify that I don't mean that particular brand, rather a toilet with a sink built in.

I also wanted to clarify that I don't have the sink-toilets (which seem fine as an idea), we have toilets where the toilet bowl and water tank are all one giant ceramic unit. Like this. I do not recommend it, because the tank is where 90% of stuff goes wrong and if something gets really hosed up you can't just change out the tank, you have to do a full replacement. Also, the tank section is kind of weirdly set up and doesn't use the standard parts so replacing things like a float is more hassle. (This might just be my particular version, maybe there are standard versions out there). It's somewhat smaller than a regular setup but I don't think the space savings are worth it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Salty Bitch posted:

Yeah of course.

So I'd go with Mirabelle its the Ferguson house brand, and it's what I've put in my parents house for all of their bathroom remodels.

Brand has ceramic disk in your faucets and their valves are lifetime warranty and will make adaptors for new trim if you ever decide to upgrade. Its going to be price point above home depot but not anywhere near the crazy luxury poo poo.

Also ways to keep costs down, dont go into the bullshit colors. Stick with chrome or brushed nickel if you're feeling crazy. The more fun the color the more you're going to pay. Also every brands brushed nickel is a little bit different so color matching can become hell.

I'm partial to the American Standard Champion series for toilets.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can do anything else.
Perfect, thank you!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

I want an in-wall tank wall mount toilet, other than kohler veil what's available in the US market. I'm cramped for space and want an easy to clean floor.

toto

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
As a Home Depot zombie, all I know with Kohler is that I hate their retail packaging. Those octagon-shaped boxes they ship toilets in look fancy and distinct on the shelf, but the toilets inside show up cracked or completely shattered all the time. Some of that is our supply chain beating stuff up, but American Standard or even the Glacier Bay store brand stuff hardly ever arrives damaged even if the box is beat to hell.

Salty Bitch
Jan 22, 2020

Qwijib0 posted:

Okay, so be very particular on who you have install this.

Try to install it where you can have a service panel on the other side. Like back it up to a closet or something, that way if theres a leak or a service issue youre not tearing out your wall/tile whatever.

Depending on the wall space you have, they might have to put it super low to the ground and then you're doing squats every time you gotta poop. A standard toilet is 15 1/2 inches from base to bowl, not including seat. Ive found a few that were installed super low for tank reasons and its not a super fun go and I'm a little over 5 feet tall.

So as far as brands, Toto does this the best, but they are not cheap. Duravit is number 2, just buy extra toilet seats cause theirs are odd shaped (like a D) and theyve been low key talking about discontinuing it for a year or so.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

ntan1 posted:

Depends on year made :/. My house has American Standard too (that I'm replacing) and the ones in the 80s were great.

Mine were 2005ish vintage. And I understand that anecdotal evidence is not evidence, but those shitters outperformed the old 60s full-tank toilets I replaced.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

ntan1 posted:

They're also conducive to leaking and difficult to install, because you have to very carefully mount them in between two studs.

Being careful when mounting onto two studs is always good advice, but may fall more into the OSHA thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Salty Bitch posted:

Duravit is number 2, just buy extra toilet seats cause theirs are odd shaped (like a D) and theyve been low key talking about discontinuing it for a year or so.

This is the quality scuttlebutt I paid ten bucks for.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Bacon Taco posted:

Being careful when mounting onto two studs is always good advice, but may fall more into the OSHA thread.

Or r/relationships :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ashcans posted:

I also wanted to clarify that I don't have the sink-toilets (which seem fine as an idea), we have toilets where the toilet bowl and water tank are all one giant ceramic unit. Like this. I do not recommend it, because the tank is where 90% of stuff goes wrong and if something gets really hosed up you can't just change out the tank, you have to do a full replacement. Also, the tank section is kind of weirdly set up and doesn't use the standard parts so replacing things like a float is more hassle. (This might just be my particular version, maybe there are standard versions out there). It's somewhat smaller than a regular setup but I don't think the space savings are worth it.

Ha ha, what? Swapping out the entire tank is normal in the US? Here, even with a "separate" tank, if things are so hosed that spare parts can't fix it, you just huck that motherfucker and buy a new one. Because basically the only things that can require an entirely new tank is you either loving up the porcelain cover, which costs about as much as a new toilet anyway, or the gaskets between the tank and the rest of the porcelain, which are too much bother to change.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Crappy Construction hit my office today, yay! Well really it hit the office space upstairs where a water line to an ice maker broke loose last night and proceed to dump water all over the floor. Probably happened sometime around 5 when everyone was gone, but was luckily found by the cleaning crew around 9 PM. Water came down into my office space below though, so a cleaning crew has been here all day removing wet tiles, wet carpet, and opening wet walls to let them dry out. My office in particular is down one light, three ceilings, tiles, and about 1/4 of the carpet.

At least the thing didn't pop at like midnight because then it would have gone unnoticed for a good 6 hours.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Crappy Construction hit my office today, yay! Well really it hit the office space upstairs where a water line to an ice maker broke loose last night and proceed to dump water all over the floor. Probably happened sometime around 5 when everyone was gone, but was luckily found by the cleaning crew around 9 PM. Water came down into my office space below though, so a cleaning crew has been here all day removing wet tiles, wet carpet, and opening wet walls to let them dry out. My office in particular is down one light, three ceilings, tiles, and about 1/4 of the carpet.

At least the thing didn't pop at like midnight because then it would have gone unnoticed for a good 6 hours.

Saddle valve? The dude who installed our humidifier used one of those to tap into the water line and I was not happy about it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Someone asked for a wall hanging toilet, check that cute thing out. Like making GBS threads on a tic-tac. It's got a stud mount wall hang thing that, judging by the angle of the outlet, could not flush 57 chicken nuggets.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
That feels hella uncomfortable. Your legs would be touching the toilet as you took a piss sitting down.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I think the angle is deceptive and it's much less of a sphere than it looks, just wider than a usual toilet.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

For the last few pages this thread has really been some crappy construction tales.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If I was on my PC there'd be a Baby Yoda shop here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DarkDobe posted:

"scuse me a moment, I gotta go put baby Yoda to bed"

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

DarkDobe posted:

When you do that also make one flipped upside down with eyes so it's a beluga.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's our old friend making housing out of large containers produced for other purposes.

OPod Tube House
Hong Kong

OPod Tube House is an experimental, low cost, micro living housing unit to ease Hong Kong’s affordable housing problems. Constructed out of low cost and readily available 2.5m diameter concrete water pipe, the design utilizes the strong concrete structure to house a mirco-living apartment for one/two persons with fully kitted out living, cooking and bathroom spaces inside 100 sq.ft. Each OPod Tube Houses are equipped with smart phone locks for online access as well as space saving furniture that maximises the space inside. OPod Tube Houses can be stacked to become a low rise building and a modular community in a short time, and can also be located/relocated to different sites in the city.

That whole site is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's more space and privacy than a lot of HK apartments. Air BnB that poo poo asap.