Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I read somewhere that the neural net to reconstruct everything needs way too long to be viable to render at VR resolutions.

Also, you need to train networks specific to the game, for reconstruction to be usable, just like DLSS, and that didn't work out well so far, either.
You surely wouldn't need the whole complicated neural net affair for running games though - just render the whole display at an extremely low level of detail, and render the foveal areas again but with a much higher level of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Needing a separate charger for each individual battery sounds dumb as hell. If you've already got to pop the cover off to plug them in, then you're saving maybe half a second versus taking the battery out and popping it into a charger.

e: and I guess they cost 4x the price of high capacity rechargables too? idgi

They come with a cable with 2 or 4 microUSB ports>single USB port, though I usually just use the cables for my Vive controllers.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess that's not so bad then. Between all my game controllers, camera flashes, etc. I have about 20 AA batteries in regular rotation so swapping over to those would be a pricey proposition.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's hard for me to think of things I own that have AA batteries in them, even my remote for the home theatre is Li-Ion with a MicroUSB port, as is my lapboard. The two other TVs in the house are exclusively used with Chromecasts and don't require remotes. My XBone controllers have charging kits, DS4 is already Li-Ion. The two torches and other portable lights are rechargable LEDs. Maybe some of the old stuff used AA but that's all in storage now. The living room clock I guess?

My wireless mouse uses a single AA, I bought it about 4 months ago and I haven't had to replace it yet.

I guess it's mostly personal preference? At this point, I'm used to and prefer charging my stuff by plugging it into one of the many accessible USB ports in the house, so it makes sense that I'm drawn to a product that lets me do that with the Touch controllers.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 23, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Chin Strap posted:

Just FYI, not a convenience thing but traditional rechargeable AAs aren't constant voltage, and it starts to matter on games like Beat Saber on Quest on high levels. If you ever get random bursts of tracking loss when hitting blocks fast, that may be part of the reason.

More details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ej2sj0/almost_entirely_fixing_hand_tracking_issues/

Can't personally vouch as I have the li-ion batteries coming in the mail but I'm hoping it helps.

Yeah I guess I’m not serious enough about beat saber to care. The convenience of being able to instantly replace a battery instead of having to plug the whole controller in and not use it while it’s charging trumps a very tiny advantage I’d gain in a game I don’t even play. This is specifically about the thing in the video, with the charging dock for the controller. As for those amazon batteries, once the price matches traditional rechargeables and once they’re UL listed and don’t look like cheap crap that’s going to set my house on fire I might be more interested.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners came out today, seems like it could be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQx872oy4A

They also confirmed it's crossbuy with Rift/Quest https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/esklfo/the_walking_dead_saints_sinners_just_confirmed/ (it doesn't come out on Quest until later in the year)

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah I'll be binging that Walking Dead game in about 13 minutes, I have pretty high hopes for it. I'll leave my impressions in here later.

Re: Thrill of the Fight: i smoked myself so severely doing a few rounds the first time, and nearly injured one of the tendons in my elbow. It prompted me to practice boxing form, which prompted me to start exercising seriously for really the first time. VR is a gateway drug!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That Walking Dead game looks interesting, maybe I'll pick it up. I originally had money set aside today for the Crystal Chronicles remaster but apparently it is also delayed like every loving game that was supposed to release this year :arghfist::mad: :arghfist:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Gooch181 posted:

Yeah I'll be binging that Walking Dead game in about 13 minutes, I have pretty high hopes for it. I'll leave my impressions in here later.

Re: Thrill of the Fight: i smoked myself so severely doing a few rounds the first time, and nearly injured one of the tendons in my elbow. It prompted me to practice boxing form, which prompted me to start exercising seriously for really the first time. VR is a gateway drug!

i go lift heavy things 4 days a week but day 5 is beat saber cardio

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Oops realized I screwed up and bought Audica through steam and not rift store and it is cross buy. Oh well, dont know if I'll buy again for quest, not as much of a workout as Beat Saber

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today also releases a Dr. Who game on Quest which looking at Steam reviews... it isn't good at all. Ops.

Also a documentary about NotreDame and a Oculus sale

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Needing a separate charger for each individual battery sounds dumb as hell. If you've already got to pop the cover off to plug them in, then you're saving maybe half a second versus taking the battery out and popping it into a charger.

e: and I guess they cost 4x the price of high capacity rechargables too? idgi

Not having a big brick of a battery charger that uses it's own 120V cable is really nice.

Most all of our daily use electronics are USB-C now so the small premium is worth it. I don't see any USB-C enabled ones yet but I'll keep an eye out for them.

edit:

SCheeseman posted:

I guess it's mostly personal preference? At this point, I'm used to and prefer charging my stuff by plugging it into one of the many accessible USB ports in the house, so it makes sense that I'm drawn to a product that lets me do that with the Touch controllers.

This. The price difference isn't a lot but that's one less proprietary charging standard I have to manage in my house.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners came out today, seems like it could be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwQx872oy4A

They also confirmed it's crossbuy with Rift/Quest https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/esklfo/the_walking_dead_saints_sinners_just_confirmed/ (it doesn't come out on Quest until later in the year)

Oh hell yeah, pretty stoked for this.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's really good! My only real gripe so far is that you have to press a button to crouch. They are looking at adding a roomscale crouching option, but it's not for sure yet. For what it's worth, i got used to it really quickly and the rest of the game is so well done that I am not very bothered by it.

quote:

This was a design decision to allow for comfortable play seated or standing. Testers really preferred not having to crouch repeatedly throughout the play session given the game’s range of actions. On top of this there are many actions (e.g. walking under a house, being grappled while crouched, etc) which would cause serious camera weirdness if we did not have a crouched toggle state. Frankly the game mechanics were built around this concept. It’s clear many of you feel that option is crucial to your experience and we appreciate the feedback. Because this is a core design issue the best we can promise is that we will look into it.

The devs are active as gently caress in discord helping investigate issues and they already pushed a patch out that fixes a problem with vive/knuckles combo. If you are on WMR like I am, you'll want to set some deadzone on your thumbsticks to counter a bit of drift. I don't know what they did different, but throwing is pretty good even on WMR remotes.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BlushingBovineJackalTwitchRaid
https://clips.twitch.tv/FilthyWanderingLegMoreCowbell

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Played an hour and a half of Walking Dead and I came away really impressed.

It looks great and runs flawlessly on my rig, even at 144 FPS in most places on my Index with 100% res (2080 TI). The art style works well, lighting and mood are impressive especially at night.

Locomotion is smooth and the comfort features are well implemented. The anti-nausea tunnel vision comes in dynamically and did a great job keeping me comfortable over my lengthy play session. There's no jump button but there's a auto-mantling system. Which I found to be infinitely more comfortable and user friendly than Boneworks. There's also climbable bits on some buildings that are equally as comfortable.

Combat is fun and snappy. They definitely do a lot of work behind the scenes to figure out what you are intending to do and fudging the movement to get you there. Melee combat in particular is probably the best I've experienced in VR. Guns however are a little clunky and aiming is a bit weird, at least in my experience on Index controllers. It's definitely the weakest part of the game thus far, but still workable.

Inventory management is a bit clunky but leaps ahead of any other VR game right now. The story is at least less hokey and tiring than whatever Oculus studios touches. You can skip ANY dialog. Amazing. What trailblazers.

Highly recommended as I feel this is the first AAA feeling game that even attempts to take advantage of the medium. I'm glad it's FINALLY starting to happen.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 24, 2020

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Calipark posted:

Played an hour and a half of Walking Dead and I came away really impressed.
Highly recommended as I feel this is the first AAA feeling game that even attempts to take advantage of the medium. I'm glad it's FINALLY starting to happen.

okay i need to know something from that trailer - when that guy wants you to murder the other guy and says the other guy is a murderer or whatever, can you shoot the obviously deranged lunatic who wants you to do his dirty work instead?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
You can shoot any character and ignore the stuff that would have been tied to them, from what I understand.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Chalk up another for really enjoying this Walking Dead game, I put in an hour and a half too. I felt the same about crouching, I want to get my cardio! But after getting used to it, it was fine, it'd be nice if you could just do both, though I can see from the above why it would be a lot of work to get it going.

I'm really pleased that I can safely walk around in this without any semblance of motion sickness, as my first couple days in VR I was trying out Skyrim and getting real woozy. This gives me a lot of faith that Half Life Alyx will be a fairly smooth experience for me.

At the beginning of the game, I was reaching to my sides, I can holster guns, right? Once I got out in the wild I was just mainly using my axe. I feel like I should play the combat tutorial again because I may have promptly forgotten important mechanics that I'll need to function as a zombie killer.

Also, seems to have a Soulslike mechanic when you die, gotta get back to your loot or you lose everything (I assume not quest items?), that's pretty cool for a game like this. I had to laugh, though, at the silliness of establishing a base in a graveyard. I guess maybe these zombies don't rise from graves, but it seems slightly counter intuitive.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I tested the meet the medic vr demo of Surgeon simulator and it was silly how easy it was, I was done with the demo after a minute or two.

Is the vr version of the full game just as easy?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kamrat posted:

I tested the meet the medic vr demo of Surgeon simulator and it was silly how easy it was, I was done with the demo after a minute or two.

Is the vr version of the full game just as easy?

It was a very poorly thought out VR conversion, I think Dr Ian Malcolm put it best, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

The whole fun of surgeon simulator is the wack controls, so super dumb to just let you use your hands as hands. Might have been fun if they'd done something weird like make you control a pair of hands by operating a bunch of switches, dials, and levers.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Tip posted:

It was a very poorly thought out VR conversion, I think Dr Ian Malcolm put it best, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

That's what I thought, I guess I'll skip buying that game then.

Tip posted:

The whole fun of surgeon simulator is the wack controls, so super dumb to just let you use your hands as hands. Might have been fun if they'd done something weird like make you control a pair of hands by operating a bunch of switches, dials, and levers.

That's actually a good idea, that would be fun and would keep the spirit of the original. :)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tip posted:

Make the player use a pair of these robot hand toys.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rectus posted:

Make the player use a pair of these robot hand toys.

Holy poo poo I'm pretty sure I had one of those as a kid.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Coaster of Carnage VR is the worst thing I ever played. It appears to be a coaster designed by a neural network that only had training data from haunted houses. Everything is slow, really slow. I'm still not sure if it is a joke mocking other roller coaster programs but don't play it.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

8one6 posted:

Holy poo poo I'm pretty sure I had one of those as a kid.

Same, I forgot all about the claw thing on top; I must have lost it.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

i'm anticipating more saints and sinners impressions, based on everything I've read so far i'm pretty sure i'll pick it up. The other VR walking dead game, Onslaught looks like reskinned arizona sunshine. I was glad to find out the "good" one was coming out sooner than later

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

With Outer Worlds, Terminator Resistance and this Walking Dead game, it's kind of cool that it's now within the technical and budget ability of AA devs to create decent quality Fallout Lite games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/EwjPygk.mp4

Messing around with an idea I had for a type of locomotion, essentially you have no legs, your arms are very strong, and you move by walking/jumping with your arms. I've been calling it gorilla locomotion after a suggestion from a friend. Right now you don't even press the grab button, it's sort of physics-y where your hand stick to surfaces and you move 1:1, but then once you move faster than some velocity threshold over a short-ish period of time (so you need to try to throw, not just bounce your hand on the ground), you keep going in that direction.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
cool. lots of potential for cool jump into overhead hammer moves.

so your view is at standard waist height all the time?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

cool. lots of potential for cool jump into overhead hammer moves.

so your view is at standard waist height all the time?

Yep. There's a collider that goes from your head down to around your waist (right now it's just one size, no arm calibration or anything). Doesn't make me motion sick at all.

Here's a view that includes first person:

https://i.imgur.com/wbACaII.mp4

And in case you feel like trying it out:

PC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-mttlNI8M9BgMLNRLO10BYpopxYFnhI/view

Quest: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dG79QmmdqPJ-JGxkoZPkInTtGebDx2Mi/view

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

That looks brilliant Lemming.

So when I went to play tonight after leaving my controllers off the charger overnight (after 90 minutes of play time) my left index controller was in the red, while my right one was normal. Is this a sign of a problem? They'd both charged fully the previous night, so I thought they'd last awhile longer. Do you guys usually have to charge after one relatively short session like that?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
looking forward to Monkey Island: You Are Actually A Monkey On An Island VR

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I should really get around to playing something that isn’t beat saber on my quest

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got that five nights at freddys vr game on sale and its rather alright. I never got any of the other games since jump scares on a screen stopped working on me around 2003 but I'd heard good things about how it works in VR and, well, its actually pretty easy to get unnerved by killer robots in the dark when theyre about twice your size. It's not a killer app at all and maybe still not worth the price tag unless you're into the series but there at least seems to be a decent amount of content to it.

tho so far my favorite thing was in the dlc, where you have a little funhouse coaster ride where you shoot at targets in different scenes. its rather charming and made me miss going to theme parks as a kid.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some deeper impressions on Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

I have zero interest in the Walking Dead franchise and find zombies pretty tiresome, though I can see how they can make for a convenient enemy in video games as dumb cannon fodder. That is to say the game had an uphill battle trying to convince me it was worth my time. It's a VR game made by a studio I'd never heard of based on an over-licensed IP, how many of those have been any good? Like, none? Almost all of them are (attempted) cash grabs, only implementing the barest of features and ignoring any of the insights that have been learnt over the past 4 years, the kind reflected in games like Boneworks and Blade & Sorcery.

It doesn't take physical interaction mechanics as far as those games, but arguably that's a good thing. Movement is more restrained but comfortable and the physics have less of a tendency to flip out. Heavy objects feel heavy, looting and item management is fairly natural and projectile weapons have physical reloading mechanics and can be used two handed. Climbing, vaulting, grappling of enemies, natural door interactions, it's all there and feels great. Stealth systems seem to work as intended, with noise playing a factor in detection. There's even micro details like being able to open a box of cigarettes, take one out, put it in your mouth, light it with a source of flame (there's several!) all using hand interactions, with no benefit to the player! Areas have multiple routes, the world feels reactive with lots of fun interactions going on between all the systems at play.

Looting and crafting is important. You take loot back to your home base to be recycled into base elements, crafting is done there too. There's quite a bit to unlock and the game doesn't make it too difficult to get the ingredients you need. Story progression is done through NPCs, finding notes and unlocking new areas using keys and other objects. If this all sounds a bit Fallout that's because it was a clear influence, though it's perhaps closer in overall structure to The Outer Worlds with a home base and discreet but open maps that you travel to by vehicle. The flooded city and boat travel actually brings back memories of Dishonored, also probably not by coincidence.

Voice acting is surprisingly solid, writing mostly consists of the usual zombie tropes though I haven't delved too far into it yet. I was surprised it let me stab an NPC in the head mid-sentence, but what surprised me even more is that as I raised my knife the game detected I was being threatening, and the AI responded in a disturbingly real way. I don't think I've seen that before, it was effective and made me feel extra bad! There's also basic dialogue trees, nothing groundbreaking but implemented fairly well.

This is ultimately an immersive sim, in the vein of System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex. That genre is all about immersing the player in a simulated world and giving them as many options as possible and as a result is arguably one of the most difficult kinds of games to make, but what else could possibly be a better fit for VR? I'm willing to forgive some jank as a result, like the slightly clunky backpack, some fiddly interactions with item slots on the player body and standing/roomscale is currently a bit broken, but the development team has been receptive to these problems and already issued a patch to fix a few of the major bugbears.

The game has gotten almost no press apart from a fairly negative Polygon review, it deserves a hell of a lot better.

e: Oh and the graphics are great and it runs really good.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 25, 2020

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Did another hour and a half of Walking Dead tonight, so on the first night, I got this mission from a woman to find her husband's wedding ring in the blue mansion, kill him, etc. I did all that but then I died trying to get back to her, and now she's gone and the stuff wasn't in my inventory. I've done a bunch of other stuff since then including dying and losing all my stuff, but I'm not exactly sure what went wrong there (when I got back to her it was after hours, but I went back in the daylight and she was still gone. Did I just forfeit everything by being out too late?) I don't know what happened but it was not very satisfying feeling.

I got the hang of my weapon placement (watched someone else play the tutorial and refreshed my memory), but I'm pretty low on supplies in general and things feel somewhat dire. Hopefully as I get the hang of this whole "playing in VR" thing I'll get it down. Steadying the gun with my spare hand somehow feels worse than holding it with just one hand? Also reloading the revolver in the heat of the moment was quite a mess that got me killed, but I'm new to this stuff, I'll get it down, I loved snapping my hand back in real life to flip the cylinder back into place. Still having fun! One thing I noticed was that I tried setting the controls to smooth motion turning and I started getting signs of motion sickness again, so I switched back to incremental. That might be something I get the hang of over time, though, it definitely wasn't as severe as my Skyrim gameplay.

Afterward I hopped into Superhot for about 20 minutes, such a fun arcadey experience, great to do 15 to a half an hour to sort of feel like you got a proper workout. Walking Dead gives you a little bit of arm flinging motion but the lack of physical crouching gives my legs nothing to do and they get tired of standing (seated doesn't feel right for grabbing my side arms/etc).

Ok that's day 2 report, I'll dive back in again tomorrow.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 25, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You have to go back to where you died and loot your body. I haven't died yet though, just what I heard! Also note that quest items are stored in a separate section in your inventory (marked purple).

Using an office chair without armrests is best for seated VR as it gives you greater freedom of arm movement.

I've been playing seated, but have a wireless kit so I can do the office chair 360 thing so I don't have to use artificial turning. Kind of expensive to get that feature for the moment though.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 25, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

caldrax posted:

Also reloading the revolver in the heat of the moment was quite a mess that got me killed, but I'm new to this stuff, I'll get it down, I loved snapping my hand back in real life to flip the cylinder back into place.

Please immediately purchase Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shine posted:

Please immediately purchase Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades.

Speaking of, from the last update:

quote:

Additions:

Added New Firearm: Mac 10 (.45 ACP)

Added New Attachment: Mac 10 Shroud

Added New Attachment: Mac 10 Suppressor

Changes:

Attachable Shrouds (Mac 10 and Vector 45) Can be grabbed like foregrips. This means that any pistol that can accept a muzzle attachment and stock attachment can now be a fully functioning stable carbine.

[Take & Hold] Patrols now regenerate over time!

[Take & Hold] Ammo classes now spawn in era/set specific ways (no exotic ammo in WW2, etc.)

[Take & Hold] Object Constructor reroll

[Take & Hold] Shifted Availability of some weapon pools to be earlier

[Take & Hold] New Powerup Pools added and costs adjusted

[Take & Hold] Wild West Progression Difficulty heavily tweaked

[Take & Hold] WW2 Progression Difficulty heavily tweaked

[Take & Hold] Hardened Encryption damage-per-tier reduced from 1000 to 600

[Take & Hold] Swarm Encryption sub-target arranged changed, and sub-target count reduced to 4

[Take & Hold] Changed refire rates on some Sosig Wild West Weapons (to better represent that they’re single-actions)

[Take & Hold] Picatinny Sights now spawn with any firearm that requires one.

[Take & Hold] 5-6 More seconds Added in between Encryption Waves to give the player time to reload and re-stage equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

The game has gotten almost no press apart from a fairly negative Polygon review, it deserves a hell of a lot better.

It has a few other positive reviews!
RoadtoVR: 9/10
VRFocus: 4/5
WindowsCentral: 4/5
thesixthaxis: 9/10
ACG: Buy

Also, crouch already implemented in an alpha hotfix (still WIP!)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/916840/announcements/detail/1690473920140548502