Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh for sure. it isn't useless. its just all the applications seem to involve posting about it online

Or for the people who are too normal to post about anything online, talk to the guy you know who's into food about it (me). Haha yeah dude, our girlfriends sure are talking to each other. Oh wow, you sous vided a steak for the first time last week? You put blue cheese on it? Hell yeah. All right, catch you next time man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I couldn’t watch much of the Paris thing. The kindest thing I can say is that she may get more people into cooking, which is a good thing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

chef gloves

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

this is honestly the most relatable thing ive ever seen her in

the power of food

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man I think someone opened my car door to steal a cow’s heart and kidney while I was at the corner store. The bag is open with a little blood stain like wtf people you left my headphones but grabbed a heart?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

Man I think someone opened my car door to steal a cow’s heart and kidney while I was at the corner store. The bag is open with a little blood stain like wtf people you left my headphones but grabbed a heart?

Look out for a tin man. May be accompanied by a straw man, a lion and a girl.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

al-azad posted:

So I guess you could say they stole your heart?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I couldn’t watch much of the Paris thing. The kindest thing I can say is that she may get more people into cooking, which is a good thing.

The kindest thing I can say about her is that she has pretty hair.

I wonder how it tastes in a lasagne?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silver lining to having to drive in the snow for more offal is a big bin of fresh blue crab which I’m pretty sure is illegal because crab season ended a month ago but this is why everyone should support their local sketchy corner store.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

al-azad posted:

Silver lining to having to drive in the snow for more offal is a big bin of fresh blue crab which I’m pretty sure is illegal because crab season ended a month ago but this is why everyone should support their local sketchy corner store.

Ummmmm..... gently caress that?

Our fisheries in New England are dying, and poaching can only make it worse.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

The kindest thing I can say about her is that she has pretty hair.

I wonder how it tastes in a lasagne?

Take comfort, Paris Hilton has only 267k subscribers. Meanwhile, the sexiest woman doing a cooking show on YouTube has 2.21 MILLION.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcdfYQ7TU8

SHE WHIPS THE EGG WHITES BY loving HAND WITH A GODDAMN FORK WHAT WITCHCRAFT IS THIS

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ummmmm..... gently caress that?

Our fisheries in New England are dying, and poaching can only make it worse.

This is a little Mexican deli in a poor neighborhood, they bought a bucket off some locals so this is like idk the equivalent of looking the other way when someone rips off Walmart.

Also the only place I can get good organ meat because the local butcher sued the town over the decision to move a stone slave auction block to a museum claiming that it would reduce his foot traffic so yeah I’m gonna support the Mexican deli.

Turned that offal into good rear end hot dog chili. Beef heart chili is the only chili for my hot dogs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

Take comfort, Paris Hilton has only 267k subscribers. Meanwhile, the sexiest woman doing a cooking show on YouTube has 2.21 MILLION.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcdfYQ7TU8

SHE WHIPS THE EGG WHITES BY loving HAND WITH A GODDAMN FORK WHAT WITCHCRAFT IS THIS

Holy poo poo. I am in awe. Not just whipping the egg whites by hand with a fork but dividing the eggs -in the shell-.

That lady has skill.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My new batch of vanilla has almost sat long enough to start using. It is ~5.25oz beans to 750ml brandy and I am way too excited about it. I also realized I have way too many kinds of vanilla in my cabinets with different source beans + alcohol base, plus two different kinds of imitation. Clearly I need to be baking more cookies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I should start making my own. I've been using Singing Dog for years, but playing with the alcohol base would be much more interesting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've been eating lots and lots of whipped cream. It really tears through the vanilla.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

When vanilla beans were still stupid expensive (still are?), I was just using nice bourbon instead and I've pretty much replaced vanilla for most uses now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I should start making my own. I've been using Singing Dog for years, but playing with the alcohol base would be much more interesting.

I got gifted a Puerto Rican vanilla that uses a rum base and its got this nice spicy kick to it that can be fun. I also have terrible garbage chemical imitation vanilla that is the complete other end of the spectrum but is also 100% what people think of when they remember what their birthday cakes tasted like growing up from the store. Brandy, bourbon, madagascar, tahitian... Really I should just set up a separate drawer or shelf for this all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm gonna dump this question here, didn't see a seafood thread (no puns intended).

Oregon crab season is happening so the local shops have dungeness crab in stock for cheap. I've never cooked crab before but have access to big pots and instant pots and a sous vide and cast iron basically all the things except a deep fryer.

How should I cook crab? Techniques, favorite recipes, etc.

TIA

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm gonna dump this question here, didn't see a seafood thread (no puns intended).

Oregon crab season is happening so the local shops have dungeness crab in stock for cheap. I've never cooked crab before but have access to big pots and instant pots and a sous vide and cast iron basically all the things except a deep fryer.

How should I cook crab? Techniques, favorite recipes, etc.

TIA
Steam, serve with garlic butter and some crusty bread, fuckin done.

Save the tomalley and shells for bisque/consommé/whatever if you do that kind of thing. But as far as I'm concerned Dungeness crab isn't one of those crab meats you really want to tart up with a fancy preparation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SubG posted:

Steam, serve with garlic butter and some crusty bread, fuckin done.

Save the tomalley and shells for bisque/consommé/whatever if you do that kind of thing. But as far as I'm concerned Dungeness crab isn't one of those crab meats you really want to tart up with a fancy preparation.

Follow up question, should I have the shop "clean" the crabs for me or do that at home?

Looks like 7 minutes per pound for steaming to proper done-ness?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Follow up question, should I have the shop "clean" the crabs for me or do that at home?

Looks like 7 minutes per pound for steaming to proper done-ness?
If they're raw 7 minutes/# is about right.

If you're not planning on using anything other than the legs then I guess you could have the fishmonger clean them for you. It's quick and dead simple to do yourself, though, so unless you're really squicked out by crab guts or something I'd just do it myself.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SubG posted:

If they're raw 7 minutes/# is about right.

If you're not planning on using anything other than the legs then I guess you could have the fishmonger clean them for you. It's quick and dead simple to do yourself, though, so unless you're really squicked out by crab guts or something I'd just do it myself.

Hell yeah I'll do this myself then. I think Friday gonna be crab day ya'll - thanks!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Netflix is removing mind of a chef for some inexplicable reason, so if you’re like me and have been putting it off, better binge it I guess.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Serious Eats writer lady did a piece on how infusing your own vanilla in liquor can't approach vanilla extract. Not throwing shade just seemed relevant.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/diy-vanilla-extract.html

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've started tuning out the word "complexity", i dont really believe in it as a useful metric for food.

That said I certainly buy that modern vanilla extraction gives better results than putting a bean in a bottle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Serious Eats writer lady did a piece on how infusing your own vanilla in liquor can't approach vanilla extract. Not throwing shade just seemed relevant.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/12/diy-vanilla-extract.html

Won't necessarily disagree with anything she's saying, but homemade has its place and doesn't replace the need for store bought - i like the repping for Rodelle which is the brand I go for any time I'm in someone else's kitchen and need to do a grocery run. I wish i had more space in my kitchen so I could have dedicated drawers to things like salt, pepper, chili, and vanilla where I have a dozen versions of each.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So Imperfect Foods is coming to my town. At first I was excited because I get upset about food waste and how cosmetics drive what is saleable. But then I started wondering about the carbon footprint of delivering all of those groceries in refrigerated vans around Las Vegas and I got concerned. Has anyone heard of a study comparing the costs in trucks vs throwing away all that food?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
All the other food also comes on refrigerated trucks though

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It turns out they're not just running around every where like Amazon trucks. My area has one delivery day - Tuesdays. I feel a little better about that, so we'll give it a shot. Will report back.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So Imperfect Foods is coming to my town. At first I was excited because I get upset about food waste and how cosmetics drive what is saleable. But then I started wondering about the carbon footprint of delivering all of those groceries in refrigerated vans around Las Vegas and I got concerned. Has anyone heard of a study comparing the costs in trucks vs throwing away all that food?

Are they not just buying up the same B/C tier vegetables that processed food producers buy up for their own products and then selling it to you at a mark up?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah if it's one bigger truck making rounds it can be OK, the whole driving to the store thing is usually not-so-good. Light googling suggests that the biggest contributor for food is production, and bulk transport is like 15%, so it's hard to imagine making it worse in any event.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sextro posted:

Are they not just buying up the same B/C tier vegetables that processed food producers buy up for their own products and then selling it to you at a mark up?
Yes. It wasn't going to have been thrown away, just made into spaghetti sauce or apple cider or whatever

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
A classic thread on the topic: https://twitter.com/sarahtaber_bww/status/1086055093244432385

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
A lot of it gets processed into animal feed, too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The pricing for the veg works out to the same or less than what I pay at Winco, and bonus for not having to run out to Henderson for that. I get most of my veg from Ranch Market, but being Asian oriented they don't always carry some of the things I want.

What is cool is that they offer dairy, meat, dry goods, and non-foods for really good discounts. 4 oz of chevre for $1.99? Yeah that's better than all the stores. We'll see how long this lasts, though. I've never had food delivered, but I've become super bougie since moving to Vegas.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I've had Imperfect for a few years now. When it started off it really was ugly, weird-shaped produce, now it's more of a general hippie grocery delivery service with a limited selection. The fruit and veg is mostly under- or oversized, and always stuff you can buy at a regular store, no weird seasonal stuff like ramps or chanterelles. Although it does vary a bit by season, and they've had some unusual apple varieties. A few months back they added meat and dairy and eggs, although the meat is only packaged things like smoked salmon, salami, maybe a chicken breast. They have lots of vegan meat and dairy replacements. They also have hippie brand dry and canned stuff that's listed as being discounted for reasons like change in branding or overstock, although I never bother comparing prices. If you leave last week's box and icepacks on your porch they will take them and reuse. They don't put anything in any kind of extra packaging.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

but I've become super bougie since moving to Vegas.

You changed Uncle Wiggles, you changed. And here I am shopping at Aldi a lot. But you earned it so I'm just giving you guff.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hauki posted:

Netflix is removing mind of a chef for some inexplicable reason, so if you’re like me and have been putting it off, better binge it I guess.

Pisser. I appreciate the head's up though! I havent finished the latest season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've become super bougie since moving to Vegas.

Only sorta bougie from what I've seen.

One of my bougie friends in Summerlin started up with Imperfect Foods. Her first box was loving massive: off-cut salmon chunks (individually wrapped, which isn't ideal, but hey), two kinds of tomatoes, orange bell peppers, limes, delicata squash, bok choy, and three or four kinds of brassica. She was very happy with the value. She also posted a referral link for $10 off your first box; PM me if you want it.

20+ pounds of produce at once is a lot for me alone, but if my parents are interested in sharing I might give it a try. It's good to get some produce I don't know what to do with sometimes, and "ugly" food makes good fodder for pickling experiments.