Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yes that’s it. thank you. i’m tired of shibboleth tech interviews. fortunately they’re more rare than they were even five years ago but man google really did a number on us with that garbage
Google swore off brainteasers like a decade ago and the head of HR even wrote a book about how they neither work nor correlate with anything once the person is hired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ShadowHawk posted:

Google swore off brainteasers like a decade ago and the head of HR even wrote a book about how they neither work nor correlate with anything once the person is hired

yes this is why i used the past tense ‘did’

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yes this is why i used the past tense ‘did’
Yeah it's weird how the thing spread but no one seems to care that it's as disproven as can be

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

got the offer. mild drop in base but some comp in stock p. much makes up for it (and this is a real company so the stock will be feeding off dead labor much like unto a vampire)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah it's weird how the thing spread but no one seems to care that it's as disproven as can be

Same with loving open plan offices

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fritz posted:

got the offer. mild drop in base but some comp in stock p. much makes up for it (and this is a real company so the stock will be feeding off dead labor much like unto a vampire)

:yotj:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Osmosisch posted:

Same with loving open plan offices

well at least that saves the employer money

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

well at least that saves the employer money

(this kills the productivity)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Long term invest-whatnow? Never heard of it.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Probably a good trade off with cost savings when other factors are causing your dev team to turn over every 6-8 months anyway.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish that one guy would stop sharing every inane thought out loud

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

I just wish that one guy would stop sharing every inane thought out loud

i just call that 'posting'

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fritz posted:

i just call that 'posting'

still applies

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
getting close to the one year mark at my new startup job after spending 10 years as a network janitor. out of the blue I’m getting a ton of recruiter interest and one company seems to really want to shark me. how bad is jumping ship sub 1yr?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

CrazyLittle posted:

getting close to the one year mark at my new startup job after spending 10 years as a network janitor. out of the blue I’m getting a ton of recruiter interest and one company seems to really want to shark me. how bad is jumping ship sub 1yr?

Recruiters jump into overdrive when the new year starts. New budgets are set and everyone is back in the office. 1 Year is generally the minimum acceptable period of time. Just have your answer for why you’re leaving down pat.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Not a Children posted:

Recruiters jump into overdrive when the new year starts. New budgets are set and everyone is back in the office. 1 Year is generally the minimum acceptable period of time. Just have your answer for why you’re leaving down pat.

that's my favorite part of this new wave -
"q: why are you looking for a new job?"
"a: well I'm not really looking :smuggo: but you guys called me and sounds like an interesting challenge"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CrazyLittle posted:

i was at my first job for nearly 8 years. then had 1y stints at 2 garbage startups. on the next round, nobody had any questions about the hops for me. one long job seems to dissolve most of those fears, you've "proven" that for the right place you'll stick around

you'll still wanna hang some narrative on it, like "if anyone hits me up with a marginally better offer im gone lol" vs. "the transition to $STARTUP was a big change for me and I cherish the year I spent there, but i had started to reach the limits of how much more I could contribute to their success and was open to new challenges."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

if you have a record of hopping every 6 months for like 2-3 years then yeah it looks bad. a couple of 1yr+ jumps honestly it happens and really nobody thinks too much of it. the software engineer market is pretty tight so many companies take what they can get unless it's pretty egregious.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I guess im hopping on the 'my phone is listening to me' cultural brain virus I was chatting with friends about how the bay are is 'meh' and for what I'm making now I might as well be living back in NYC where I can buy an entire goddamn apartment building for the cost of a house in the Bay Area.

My weekly 1-on-1 with my manager the next day was about the things they're assigning me to this year so they can promote me to the next salary level.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
2 years ago I was essentially paycheck-to-paycheck. Somewhere in that timeframe something changed because I logged into my company stock account and unironically mumbled to myself 'that's weird, I wonder where that extra $12k came from' and just went about my day and now I've mildly horrified myself at the thought I got changed by the money.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Congrats on joining the global 1%

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 5, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Corla Plankun posted:

back at it again with the word-choosing: I really like that my company reviews every piece of code that goes out, and my teams have also been opening architecture design reviews to anyone on the engineering team who's interested.

this is how I've summarized it: "Created a climate of knowledge-sharing and consensus-building with open architecture-feedback sessions and inter-team code reviews."

Is this worth a bullet point on a resume? It feels really important to me but maybe it is too soft for a Data Engineer resume.

If it is worth it, does that sentence sound okay?

a surprising amount of companies don't do either so saying that you not only do it but were responsible for implementing it is definitely a strong positive imo. and yeah that sentence is fine

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jimmy Carter posted:

2 years ago I was essentially paycheck-to-paycheck. Somewhere in that timeframe something changed because I logged into my company stock account and unironically mumbled to myself 'that's weird, I wonder where that extra $12k came from' and just went about my day and now I've mildly horrified myself at the thought I got changed by the money.

you changed into a person without the stress of living paycheck-to-paycheck. don’t ever lose your empathy for people who are in that position, but don’t feel bad because you aren’t in it yourself anymore.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

:same:

goddamn its nice to just be like "oh a plumbing emergency that costs ~$1k to fix? well ok i guess" and not worry about being able to like, eat that month. it is weird to be about 1000x better off than pretty much all my friends who don't touch computers though, it's a little awkward sometimes.

i think the crucial thing to remember is:

raminasi posted:

you changed into a person without the stress of living paycheck-to-paycheck. don't ever lose your empathy for people who are in that position, but don't feel bad because you aren't in it yourself anymore.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

this is how I've summarized it: "Created a climate of knowledge-sharing and consensus-building with open architecture-feedback sessions and inter-team code reviews."

good hyphens but open architecture-feedback sessions seems a bit weird op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dont touch computers tho

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
im crazy about hyphens but that does look weird in retrospect, i'll sleep on it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Corla Plankun posted:

"Created a climate of knowledge-sharing and consensus-building with open architecture-feedback sessions and inter-team code reviews."
Established process for inter-team architecture and code reviews.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

im crazy about hyphens but that does look weird in retrospect, i'll sleep on it

that's not what you do with resumes. you're supposed to give them to people that you want to hire you

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ever since that day, i dont sleep without a loaded resume under my pillow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

poor jawnv6, slept with a loaded resume under his pillow and hired himself :rip:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
a boiler room agency just rewrote the gently caress out of my resume before sending it to the client. real piece of work, it credits me with just about everything short of separating conjoined twins

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can't possibly be that hard to separate conjoined twins anyway.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
putting them back together is the real trick

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

poor jawnv6, slept with a loaded resume under his pillow and hired himself :rip:

lomarf

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShadowHawk posted:

Established process for inter-team architecture and code reviews.

Not much, what’s established process for inter-team architecture and code reviews with you?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I was hit up by the vp of product for a software company to "lead their automation and cloud infra" strategy for their full product stack based on some work I did with their product that outclassed anything they had been able to come up with. "know that you can ask for what you need" was the comment.

that exciting role eventually morphed into applying as just another sr dev in the product dev team under a sr dir who was not too excited that I would want to maintain my industry profile. regardless, I decided to continue forward thinking I could fix it in post.

I do a coding challenge, turn it in with all the things they love about my work, and the final "interview" is three hours of their leads asking me best practice questions.

6 weeks pass.

I decide to email the vp and the sr dir since it's once thing to play cool, another to signal disinterest. got an email from the sr dir the next day about how strong a candidate I was, but they were able to find someone local within their budget (granted, I did ask for +80k outside their hiring range).

but still, that seems lovely. "reach out to the vp, he has other roles for you" says the sr dir. bitch, he has my number, he can call me if he has something now that he knows what I cost.

interviewing is garbage.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

and I spent all the holidays centering on what was causing me such angst at my current, objectively great job, and was determined to try and fix it.

short answer- lovely boss needs me to do great things so he can look good that simultaneously wishes I needed to look up to him for guidance, and is low key upset I don't. he also doesn't manage any of his reports, so they come to me for guidance. I'm fine with that, but its tiring carrying everyone in his reporting org, and providing the technical muscle, and dealing with an org that is absolutely hostile in its resistance to change despite the directive coming from the C-suite. god I am tired.

the one vp I would go to for guidance on this situation is leaving, so now I don't know how to fix this outside of the "gently caress you all I'm out" path. but I would much rather just actually take the ownership of my space (since I'm already carrying the responsibility). but that won't happen while my boss is my sole "advocate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Turnquiet posted:

and I spent all the holidays centering on what was causing me such angst at my current, objectively great job, and was determined to try and fix it.

short answer- lovely boss needs me to do great things so he can look good that simultaneously wishes I needed to look up to him for guidance, and is low key upset I don't. he also doesn't manage any of his reports, so they come to me for guidance. I'm fine with that, but its tiring carrying everyone in his reporting org, and providing the technical muscle, and dealing with an org that is absolutely hostile in its resistance to change despite the directive coming from the C-suite. god I am tired.

the one vp I would go to for guidance on this situation is leaving, so now I don't know how to fix this outside of the "gently caress you all I'm out" path. but I would much rather just actually take the ownership of my space (since I'm already carrying the responsibility). but that won't happen while my boss is my sole "advocate".

So you determined you needed to start slowly poisoning your boss' coffee but you've realized: here it is late January and you failed another new years resolution?

:sympathy: