Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Cavauro posted:

A six thread CPU like the 9600k already seems to get chumped or equalled by a lot of CPUs with more threads on new games like RDR2. Last gen AMD stuff, 7700k, etc. I feel like it would be really unlikely that this wouldn't become fully standard when actual new console hardware is out.

Coming from an 8600k at 4.9ghz to a 9900kf at 5.1ghz has been an unbelievable upgrade in terms of frame stuttering across every modern AAA title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

orcane posted:

You mean PCs have... the wrong RAM?

I just lold in a crowded room at this

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Cygni posted:

Its also worth bringing up that AMD's very obviously directed at consoles launch of SmartShift will come into play here. The 5700XT alone pulls more wattage than either the full PS4 Pro or XboneX do at load, and although the Series X render definitely looks like a large beefy boy, i don't imagine its total power draw will be anything like the double or so it would need to run everything at full tilt. Developers will essentially get to play with the full brunt of the CPU or the GPU, but not both at the same time. And I imagine most developers will lean on as much as they can get from the GPU. Gonna be interesting to see how they leverage that hardware and what they do with it.

Yeah that's what I'm really curious to see - yes the CPU cores of the APU can boost to 3.2ghz, does it maintain that under GPU load? How much, how long, etc?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lockback posted:

There are some bold claims in this thread about how unreleased consoles are going to FINALLY wreck the PC market THIS TIME HONEST

Well we pretty much have the specs of them now, and they're using extremely similar architectures. There was a lot more guesswork in past gens as to what PC equivalent hardware was. No, no 'pc is doomed' talk here, but in terms of parity with midrange/higher-end PC's I think this gen will very likely be the closest.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The upcoming Ryzen 4800U APU has an 8C/16T Zen 2 CPU with a base clock of 1.8 GHz in a 15 watt thermal envelope. I think that's probably a good lower bound for the CPU clocks on the consoles when under heavy GPU load. Even at 1.8 GHz I would expect the Zen 2 cores to provide nearly double the performance of the Jaguar cores in the current gen (base-level) consoles between IPC gains and SMT.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My PS4 from launch day is still chugging along. Can't wait to hop onto a PS5 with the rumors about full backward compatibility with every PS console (except the Vita)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hmm tbh this all sounds fun, I hope we can just all crossplay and matchmake by input like COD has very effectively done.

Then we can all be the Gamer Master Race together bc each game eco system has its definite enjoyable aspects

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I'm gonna miss running console ports at 144 FPS being a reasonable expectation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

drat good point

In that case

I'm going to miss spending less than $1,200 on a GPU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Xaintrailles posted:

Was it ever?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

having watched the video, the short version is that the 2060 KO is not using the same die as other 2060s, and is instead using a die that's some kind of cut-down variant of the 2080/2070 Super dies

this does not make the 2060 KO any better than other 2060s in terms of gaming performance

it does make the 2060 KO perform comparably to a 2080/2070 Super on some specific productivity workloads, with Blender rendering being the most applicable one

so it's an interesting find, but not at all relevant for gaming

It's still funny as hell.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Want: 1440p gaming. Lowest noise as possible without water.

Looking at a sapphire 5700 ultra version thing. Can I go cheaper?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

nerdrum posted:

Coming from an 8600k at 4.9ghz to a 9900kf at 5.1ghz has been an unbelievable upgrade in terms of frame stuttering across every modern AAA title.

I think something was wrong with your computer if that CPU gave you frame stuttering in every modern AAA game.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ShaneB posted:

Want: 1440p gaming. Lowest noise as possible without water.

Looking at a sapphire 5700 ultra version thing. Can I go cheaper?

Needs more context, what fps are you targeting? How long does the card have to work at that fps with new games for you to consider it a good purchase, and what settings are you targeting?

Kind of a bad time to be buying GPUs right now. Then again, we might not see low-mid tier Ampere cards until ~ Q4, so... kind of a catch 22. Looking at the turing launch, the 2080 was released in September and the 2060 was released in January the following year.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 24, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

having watched the video, the short version is that the 2060 KO is not using the same die as other 2060s, and is instead using a die that's some kind of cut-down variant of the 2080/2070 Super dies

this does not make the 2060 KO any better than other 2060s in terms of gaming performance

it does make the 2060 KO perform comparably to a 2080/2070 Super on some specific productivity workloads, with Blender rendering being the most applicable one

so it's an interesting find, but not at all relevant for gaming

So in other words, expect the shitcoiners to snap these up even though it's not very lucrative to mine right now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Taima posted:

Kind of a bad time to be buying GPUs right now.

Is there ever a good time, though? If we're not waiting for another launch, we're waiting for stock to finally appear, but then we're waiting for prices to settle down. And by then we're waiting for another launch.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there a way to easily tell if the 5600xt i got has the updated bios applied? Will GPUZ or whatever give memory bandwidth etc?

e: VVV Thanks, i'll have a look later. It's the Sapphire Pulse. There was a download available on launch day, and a newer version yesterday, which makes it slightly more complicated as I need to know what the unflashed version is.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 24, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Is there a way to easily tell if the 5600xt i got has the updated bios applied? Will GPUZ or whatever give memory bandwidth etc?
It does, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. It also lists your VBIOS version so you can compare that to what version your card's manufacturer offers as a download/upgrade (if they do so already).

E: Yeah, Sapphire has a guide + download up here:
https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-5600-xt-6g-gddr6

If you use AMDVbFlash that will also tell you the version of the existing BIOS and the one you're flashing.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 24, 2020

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Xaintrailles posted:

List them because I can't recall one.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. I'm attempting to connect 3 4k displays to a laptop that has thunderbolt 3/usb-C for video. From what I gather, normal Hubs won't work due to limitations in teh system; Ie it (this applies to most TB3 laptops) supports 2x4k screens, or 3x displays of lower resolution, but not 3x4k.

Could I fix this using an external gpu in a box like this?? What spec graphics card would I be looking at? Needs to push that many pixels, but for running a webapp only, with no 3d.

Would a GPU like this work?

Even with an external GPU, could there be an upstream limit in the info the laptop could send, or would the GPU fix this? If thunderbolt etc's the limit, would I need a desktop computer instead?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 25, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

jisforjosh posted:

List them because I can't recall one.

Siege, Doom, Destiny 2, For Honour, Forza, Battlefront 2, Sunset Overdrive... sure, lots of games don't scale well in framerate or are capped but it's not unusual either.
My point was that it's easy to have >2.5x the CPU performance of consoles right now so you can brute-force ~2.5x the FPS if you want it (with a good enough GPU/low enough graphics settings). With CPU progress stalling that isn't going to happen once next gen consoles become the baseline, albeit that is a few years out.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dominoes posted:

Even with an external GPU, could there be an upstream limit in the info the laptop could send, or would the GPU fix this? If thunderbolt etc's the limit, would I need a desktop computer instead?

Cool question tbh curious to know this myself

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. I'm attempting to connect 3 4k displays to a laptop that has thunderbolt 3/usb-C for video. From what I gather, normal Hubs won't work due to limitations in teh system; Ie it (this applies to most TB3 laptops) supports 2x4k screens, or 3x displays of lower resolution, but not 3x4k.

Could I fix this using an external gpu in a box like this?? What spec graphics card would I be looking at? Needs to push that many pixels, but for running a webapp only, with no 3d.

Would a GPU like this work?

TB3 is plenty for running low-bandwidth stuff like browsers or video playback. The main concern would be getting a GPU with three 4K outputs, I think. A 1060 would do the trick, maybe a 470/570. Not sure if you could go any cheaper than that and still get enough.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xaintrailles posted:

Siege, Doom, Destiny 2, For Honour, Forza, Battlefront 2, Sunset Overdrive... sure, lots of games don't scale well in framerate or are capped but it's not unusual either.

Many of these games are optimized for each platform. Doom in particular was amazingly optimized for every type of hardware configuration it ran on. (Adding VR to it was a bad idea, but that’s hardly surprising.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The discussion on the last couple of pages has been interesting as I've currently got a 1060 6GB and am trying to figure out how soon I should be looking to upgrade. I won't be going over 1080p 60fps or trying VR any time soon, and I am fine with turning bells and whistles off. The bit that has me worried is that I'm already having to tweak games like FF15 quite a bit to get a consistent framerate so a further generational jump might leave me behind altogether. Then again the only new games I'm bothered about this year are Doom and Resident Evil, and both their previous entries ran fantastically on my machine.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Don’t upgrade for games that you might play in the future that might need a more powerful gpu. Upgrade when you’re current hardware doesn’t cut it any more and you know the upgrade will.

E: The 1060 6GB is a great 1080p/60 card, and it will continue to be for a while yet. You might have to turn down a few more settings, but I suspect it’d last you at least until the next generation of cards, if not beyond. Doom will probably be as well optimized as its predecessor.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 26, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stickman posted:

Don’t upgrade for games that you might play in the future that might need a more powerful gpu. Upgrade when you’re current hardware doesn’t cut it any more and you know the upgrade will.

Upgrading for games that you might play in the future is how you get people buying crossfire 290Xes for Star Citizen.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah I reckon a 2020 upgrade is unlikely and by mid 2021 when the impact of new consoles is starting to be felt my 1060 will be four years old which is a reasonable age.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I remember when I bought an FX 5800 in anticipation of Half Life 2 and the loving card couldn't even do DX9 as advertised when the game came out

Never upgrade for games that arent out yet

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

TB3 is plenty for running low-bandwidth stuff like browsers or video playback. The main concern would be getting a GPU with three 4K outputs, I think. A 1060 would do the trick, maybe a 470/570. Not sure if you could go any cheaper than that and still get enough.
Thank you. If I bought this thunderbolt - GPU enclosure and this Nvidia 1060 card, I'd be able to run 3 4k displays from a thunderbolt laptop?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it has 5 outputs and only the DVI can't do 4K so that should work great.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sweet! And the thunderbolt connecting to it shouldn't limfac it? Going to pull the trigger tmw.

Want 2 4k displays? Easy. 3: Very confusing and hard to find info on!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I remember when I bought an FX 5800 in anticipation of Half Life 2 and the loving card couldn't even do DX9 as advertised when the game came out

Never upgrade for games that arent out yet

To be fair, if you'd gone ATi, everything would have been fine. The gulf in DX9 performance between NVIDIA and ATI was enormous at that time. The FX series was utter shite. The FX 5200 reminds me of the Geforce4 MX, for example. Ugh.
Around that time I had a 9600 Pro, then a 9800, then a 9800 Pro. Don't ask me why I bought a 9800 Pro soon after having a 9800, I don't remember why either. I had a job, not really any bills to pay, and just threw money at fun things.

Edit:
Trying to find some old benchmarks from that time. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1549/3

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 26, 2020

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dominoes posted:

Thank you. If I bought this thunderbolt - GPU enclosure and this Nvidia 1060 card, I'd be able to run 3 4k displays from a thunderbolt laptop?

Don't buy a 1060 3 GB new, it wasn't a good card when it launched compared to the 6 GB and you can get a newer 1660 for less at this point (even if that's still overkill and even an RX 570 should work fine).

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=439

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Party Boat posted:

The discussion on the last couple of pages has been interesting as I've currently got a 1060 6GB and am trying to figure out how soon I should be looking to upgrade. I won't be going over 1080p 60fps or trying VR any time soon, and I am fine with turning bells and whistles off. The bit that has me worried is that I'm already having to tweak games like FF15 quite a bit to get a consistent framerate so a further generational jump might leave me behind altogether. Then again the only new games I'm bothered about this year are Doom and Resident Evil, and both their previous entries ran fantastically on my machine.

It's also worth remembering that you often can't do straight console -> PC comparisons. Sure, you're having to turn down settings on FFXV (a game that's not exactly well optimized for PC, but that trend probably won't change, either), but also remember that on PS4 FFXV targets 30fps, and even on the Pro it normally runs 40-50FPS in most cases, while presumably your base expectation is 60FPS on the PC.

A PC with reasonable hardware like a 1060 will probably continue to be able to play future games alright, if you're willing to continue to turn settings down and play at <60FPS. That said, if the PS5 does launch with ~RX 5700 performance, you'll likely want to pick up something in that performance range at least, as it'll be considerably faster than your 1060. But as others have said, absolutely don't buy a new GPU now if you don't need it for the games you're playing now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Demostrs posted:

Don't buy a 1060 3 GB new, it wasn't a good card when it launched compared to the 6 GB and you can get a newer 1660 for less at this point (even if that's still overkill and even an RX 570 should work fine).

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=439
So, this instead?.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm not the most tech savvy but I'm a doubtful that amd will be able to fit in 5700 tier performance without next generation consoles being heat traps

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
There’s nothing stopping Sony and Microsoft from improving cooling solutions and raising TdP from previous generations. Navi and Ryzen 2 is also fairly power efficient if you don’t push it to the very brink of performance. I don’t see why they couldn’t have 5700 level performance.

Total system power draw with my (Division 2) 5700 XT at 1200 mV and 2100 MHz is 370W, drop to 1700 MHz at 880 mV and it drops to 205W losing only about 15-20%. Thats with a 9900K as well, a low clocked Ryzen 2 chip will be even better.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 26, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you look at the case of the high end Xbox, it's clear that cooling drove the design much more than previous consoles. The PS5/base Xbox will probably be more like 5600 XT level, but still, I expect all versions of the MS/Sony next gen consoles to take a big step forward in terms of thermal design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, I suspect we'll see something with roughly 5700-spec hardware in terms of CUs and the like, but underclocked considerably compared to the desktop part for exactly that reason: the desktop parts are juicing the hell out of the chips to stay competitive with NVidia. But in a console they could easily scale back a bit to a far more efficient point on the power curve so people aren't baking the consoles to death when they put them in a crowded entertainment center with poor airflow.