Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

Shodai looked in command under pressure. Again. I wouldn't be shocked for a Shodai yusho.

I saw that bout and I kinda disgree (especially after looking at the replay). Shodai looked like he was on the ropes until Abi's lovely footwork struck again.

E: ...and then there was one ozeki.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Enho :allears:

I would expect his reach to be such a handicap -- like Takayasu showed, opponents can just go over his head to grab the mawashi. But I guess they're unable to leverage their weight to do anything with it in that position.

Hopefully Kenning is not relying on NattoSumo's videos for fantasy, they had Yutakayama winning over Tochiozan by mistake which confused the heck out of me.

Also, one of my favorite things in sumo is when a guy hulks up and blasts a dude into orbit, and Endo was the victim of that against Hokutofuji today.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

We're approaching the point where one of the following is likely going to happen:

Next basho having the title of Yokozuna on the line. (Takakeisho win)
A competitor who has only won double digits bouts at the top division once in 25 tries winning. (Tokushoryu win)
A competitor going from 3-12 his last time at his current ranking to winning the entire thing. (Shodai win)

Any of these are exciting.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I just realized that Enho is listed as 5’6” 218. In virtually every other scenario, he’d be described as a tank rather than the tiny guy.

Now I want to go to Japan just to see some of these guys in the wild to get their sizes in context. Like seeing NBA players when they aren’t standing in a forest of other giants and realizing that even the “tiny” PGs are still really tall compared to the general public.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hyped that Enho is one win away from kachi-koshi. I won't be able to see it as it happens tomorrow but I can on Saturday and Sunday, looks like it will be an exciting last day.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Watched some of the 2018 US Sumo Open, and I can't see the appeal. It just looks like bad catch wrestling with weird pants.

I feel this video explains both the pants and the appeal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhVbxfmrYM

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Another fantastic day of bouts! Shodai is honestly looking legit. I wouldn't be amazed at a Shodai yusho at this point. Great to see Enho hang in there. I also can't believe no one has mentioned it -- kotenage win from Takakeisho! That's cool as hell!

fisting by many posted:

Hopefully Kenning is not relying on NattoSumo's videos for fantasy, they had Yutakayama winning over Tochiozan by mistake which confused the heck out of me.
[/spoiler]

I watch Natto, but I'd put down Tochiozan as the winner, since, well, he won. I also check against sumodb.

Day 12 standings

code:
Bentai		43
bessantj	34
fisting by many	40
Kenning		40.5
Marching Powder	29
Martytoof	38
Mekchu		31
ratmosphere	33.5
Rigel		32
Robviously	42.5
Scythe		31
sivad		29
Spokes		30.5
Thauros		33.5

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

My insistance on not trading cost me that half point. Curse my hubris!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sumo is cool

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sumo loving rocks.

Robviously posted:

My insistance on not trading cost me that half point. Curse my hubris!

You get the .5 pt make-koshi penalty even if you trade a rikishi away. This is to discourage willy-nilly trading, and to encourage thoughtful initial drafting. You're still doing super well though!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
enho started the basho 3-4 against guys who were M4-M7

he's 4-1 in his last 5 against Endo (M1), 2 Ozeki, and 2 Sekiwake

admittedly, none of them are really tearing it up this month but man, what skill

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not gonna lie, Enho is making this a really enjoyable basho for me. I’m in the dumps about Takayasu sucking this much but at the same time I’m enjoying the little dude tearing everyone apart right now.

Also enjoying a very-much-non-zero amount of schadenfreude from Goeido imploding as well.

So far the good outweighs the bad, and this more wide-open competitive stuff is what I’m guessing we’ll be seeing a lot more of once Hakuho hangs it up. Kakuryu still going to hang around I bet but even he’s showing the rust now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i actually feel sorry for goeido. everybody hates him and he just looks like the villain in an 80's movie about a plucky youngster trying to make it in sumo. now his ozeki is gone. poor weird looking giant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe it’s time for a...

TRAINING

MONTAGE

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

That right there is the difference between fat and strong.

ENHOOOOOOOOOO

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

bartolimu posted:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=1205

Here's the record of "Byamba" who in an earlier post I vaguely referred to as "Makushita rejects" dominating heavyweight/openweight in amateur sumo, in an effort to make it seem like I wasn't actually just talking about 1 guy. Really, gently caress that guy, it's like if someone who almost made it on an NBA team but decided it was too much work went on to become "10 times Amateur Basketball champion" or something like that.

As for Enho, I feel like he does better against first time opponents than otherwise, I'm not sure if his type of Sumo is actually sustainable, we'll find out next Basho I think since he'll be fighting basically all the same people.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kenning posted:

Sumo loving rocks.

You get the .5 pt make-koshi penalty even if you trade a rikishi away. This is to discourage willy-nilly trading, and to encourage thoughtful initial drafting. You're still doing super well though!

Absolutely! But I also am a Pats fan so that .5 point penalty is obviously a 12 layer dip conspiracy against me. :tinfoil:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You also have guys who wisely don't want to deal with all the bullshit that comes with being a professional sumo wrestler, so they stay amateur even though they have the talent to make it to the salaried ranks as pros.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

it's like if someone who almost made it on an NBA team but decided it was too much work went on to become "10 times Amateur Basketball champion" or something like that.
At least that’s acknowledging the level you were champion at somewhat. Byamba calls himself a 4 time World Champ!

https://www.sumobyamba.com/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Not gonna lie, I love Byamba. He's super talented, and also an excellent self-promoter. I can't hate on him for using his skillset in this way. Try reading this Vice article about partying with amateur sumo wrestlers and see if you don't sort of love him by the end.

Marching Powder posted:

i actually feel sorry for goeido. everybody hates him and he just looks like the villain in an 80's movie about a plucky youngster trying to make it in sumo. now his ozeki is gone. poor weird looking giant.

I've always liked Goeido. I love his mean mug face whenever someone does a matta against him, and I love his chaotic swings between being hugely powerful and weirdly tentative. I like that he sat at sekiwake forever, and was then kadoban 9 times before it stuck. And I loving love that he got one (1) zensho-yusho. In a sense he's the perfect ozeki (well, maybe Kaio was a bit more perfect) just in terms of how precisely his skill capped right at the ozeki requirements. It's a wonderful career, and I hope he gets to do a solid couple years doing the Kotoshogiku thing where he bounces around the maegashira before retiring at the completely normal age of 35 or so.

Martytoof posted:

I’m not gonna lie, Enho is making this a really enjoyable basho for me. I’m in the dumps about Takayasu sucking this much but at the same time I’m enjoying the little dude tearing everyone apart right now.

Also enjoying a very-much-non-zero amount of schadenfreude from Goeido imploding as well.

So far the good outweighs the bad, and this more wide-open competitive stuff is what I’m guessing we’ll be seeing a lot more of once Hakuho hangs it up. Kakuryu still going to hang around I bet but even he’s showing the rust now.

It's been really fun! Other times when the yokozuna and ozeki were out it felt like the overall level of sumo was sort of low and sloppy. This basho we don't get Hakuho's dominance or Kakuryu's precision, but the quality of bouts has been really high. It's quite exciting!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This Enho bout was pretty sick, I thought he was done when he got his mawashi grabbed but then he rallied and actually scored a dope rear end throw. Does he have a background in judo or whatever?

A three-way race for the yusho is really fun, especially with low Maegashira going for it. I hope Enho and Kaisei get their winning records.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Takayasu getting a solid grip on the mawashi and just doing nothing for like 30 seconds seems to kind of sum up his whole basho. It's really weird coming in with this as my first because most of the ozeki and sekiwake kind of just poo poo the bed and both yokozuna pulled out.

Endo starting out flying out the gate and then just falling apart was a big letdown for me because I wanted to make him one of my guys.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Juryo things

Terunofuji clinches the Juryo Yusho, and puts up another fairly dominant win for good measure.

Chiyoshoma with a fairly "justified" henka -- against 4-9 Yago, sitting at 5-7 at J1 and needing 3 straight wins to make Makuuchi.

Here are the names I expect still have a shot at making the top division (basically anyone above J4 with under 8 losses, or anyone above J6 with under 6.

J1 Chiyoshoma 6-7
J2 Kotonowaka 7-6, Hidenoumi 7-6
J4 Nishikigi 9-4, Mitoryu 6-7 (probably not him)
J5 Daishoho 9-4. Wakatakakage 8-5
J6 Daiamami 9-4
J13 Terunofuji 13-0

All depends how many people drop out of Makuuchi -- M13 Kotoeko at 2-10 is surely out. M3 Kotoyuki (0-0-12) and M5 Meisei (1-7-4) could be dropped (I found that Tomokaze was demoted from M3 to J1 after missing a tournament.) M13 Kotoshogiku and M12 Tsurugisho at 4-8 need some wins to save themselves, and everyone below that hasn't reached 8 losses yet and still has a shot at hanging on.

I'm glad Natto started posting Juryo highlights because I'm starting to find it really interesting, especially on the last days when every match matters so much for promotion

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

fisting by many posted:

Terunofuji clinches the Juryo Yusho, and puts up another fairly dominant win for good measure.

A mighty kimidashi! I thought I'd never see that again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
so an epic match up tomorrow between tokoshoryu and shodai, the winner probably taking the entire thing. shodai fought absolutely flawlessly today and i still pick him to win, but i can't help but think that tokoshoryu looks like an egg with mechanical legs and when he squats and puts himself into launch position he cannot be beat.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

As cool as “Yushodai” sounds, I so want to see the dude in last place ranking take the whole thing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Is there a :stare: that is just growing and possibly explodes into more :stare:s?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Please, if you're skimming this in the morning, do not spoil Abi vs Enho for yourself. Or do, but go watch it anyway.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

enho. oh my god. what a basho. 10/10

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Is there a :stare: that is just growing and possibly explodes into more :stare:s?

Yeah, but that :stare: is then leg picked by Enho and launched into orbit.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Enho WHAT :derp:

I just started screaming after that

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 24, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ok so I think this is the best Basho I've seen since I've started paying attention to Sumo a couple years ago or however long it's been.

That being said, anyone who's been paying attention to Abi since his Makuuchi debut should know that jumping off the Dohyo in a panic is just a thing he does sometimes even if nobody's in a position where it would look like they're lifting him

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I love how Abi-Enho was straight out of MMA 101. Duck the strike, shoot for the single-leg.

Hope Takakeisho's nose isn't broken. That forearm by Takayasu at the tachi-ai reeked of pure desperation.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Ok so I think this is the best Basho I've seen since I've started paying attention to Sumo a couple years ago or however long it's been.

Oh good so it's not just me this is pretty exceptional in terms of fantastic match making / fighting / results.

anakha posted:

Hope Takakeisho's nose isn't broken. That forearm by Takayasu at the tachi-ai reeked of pure desperation.

Yeah that forearm was brutal. I'm surprised takakeisho's whole face didn't explode. Also, is takakeisho really only 23?!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Enho ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO ENHO. ENHO.

holy poo poo

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Enho is such a boss holy gently caress :swoon:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Also, is takakeisho really only 23?!

Yup! He's the youngest guy in Makuuchi right now, Onosho and Kiribayama are only a little bit older, here's an ordered list:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.as...rt_by=birthdate

I wouldn't be surprised if Kotoshogiku retires after this Basho, given he's at the top of this list and has extensive injuries.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao my jaw hit the ground when the thing happened

you know the thing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Barring disaster I feel like Takakeisho is going to make a run at Yokozuna, especially if Hakuho (and/or Kakuryu) retires soon. He's already pretty consistent at age 23 and he's gotta have an easier time being promoted as a Japanese rikishi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Dias posted:

Barring disaster I feel like Takakeisho is going to make a run at Yokozuna, especially if Hakuho (and/or Kakuryu) retires soon. He's already pretty consistent at age 23 and he's gotta have an easier time being promoted as a Japanese rikishi.

I agree. Especially as there's no competition right now -- the road to Yokozuna is a lot harder with a healthy Hakuho and Kakuryu all but guaranteeing two losses each basho. He's looked a step above everyone else in Makuuchi.

Two wins would guarantee him at least Jun-Yusho which could be the first step in a run.