Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

zoux posted:

Why would anyone on earth shop at a ferengi establishment

There's also a London Kings logo of all things at the bottom of that shot, just in case anyone was looking for the weirdest possible DS9 reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I was planning on skipping Picard because Discovery had been such dogshit early in the first season, but the first episode has given me a bit of hope. I counted ~4 times where they could have stalled out the plot by having a main character lie or hold back info to another- the worst way modern prestige shows draw out their plots- and they went in each time.

Also very impressed they actually seem to understand Picard's TV show character and aren't just making him Patrick Stewart epic meme guy. The detective/investigative stuff is perfect Picard, and when he said "lives." like, drat.

And some slight hope that they want to get back to some actual Trek optimism. The destruction of mars feels like a 9/11 parallel the same way Battle of the Binary Star was for Discovery- but here they've gone 15 years in to the future and it seems like at least part of the show will be Picard dealing with that fallout and the failed course starfleet took after that event, as opposed to a story about the immediate emotional spasm after the event.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Also Dog Status : Very balls.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I was planning on skipping Picard because Discovery had been such dogshit early in the first season, but the first episode has given me a bit of hope. I counted ~4 times where they could have stalled out the plot by having a main character lie or hold back info to another- the worst way modern prestige shows draw out their plots- and they went in each time.

Also very impressed they actually seem to understand Picard's TV show character and aren't just making him Patrick Stewart epic meme guy. The detective/investigative stuff is perfect Picard, and when he said "lives." like, drat.

And some slight hope that they want to get back to some actual Trek optimism. The destruction of mars feels like a 9/11 parallel the same way Battle of the Binary Star was for Discovery- but here they've gone 15 years in to the future and it seems like at least part of the show will be Picard dealing with that fallout and the failed course starfleet took after that event, as opposed to a story about the immediate emotional spasm after the event.

The show seems to be partly saying "you can't just live in nostalgia, you have to deal with the reality of the current hosed up situation and chart a path forward," which I like.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

So the "quantum archive" was that a hologram of the painting or what

The hologram index lady said this painting was one of two instances, the other being in Picard's house.

So clearly it must be a physical storage of some kind.

Picard knew nobody he didn't invite could've seen the painting in his house, so he went to check if nobody touched the other copy in the archive either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, the one in his house didn’t show the face.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

nine-gear crow posted:

I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F. Because while I used to think it was ugly as poo poo the STO F and I'd actually love for it to show up on screen now.

While this could be cool, does it even need to be the -F? The -E is like 25 years old at this point, maybe the Sovereign-class turns out to have some longevity to it.

An Enterprise cameo (regardless of which letter comes after the name) is probably too hard to resist for the writer's team though. Seems like mostly a question of who they're gonna cameo as her captain. My money's on Geordi.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d be down to see an E-refit of some kind captained by Geordi or someone really unexpected like Ezri.

This would have been a nice opportunity for a Captain Nog cameo.
:smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Reginald Broccoli

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Captain DeSoto, still ferrying messages and VIPs around on the USS Hood.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Captain Okana

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This would have been a nice opportunity for a Captain Nog cameo.
:smith:

Really hope they at least mention a Captain Nog at some point somehow.

At this point I know it's mostly just spitballing cameo ideas and shoehorning in familiar characters, but that one would be both timely and appropriate.

It would, however, involve the showrunners acknowledging the existence of DS9, so it's not likely to happen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

The hologram index lady said this painting was one of two instances, the other being in Picard's house.

So clearly it must be a physical storage of some kind.

Yeah I assumed when it appeared it was just being beamed out of the storage units. The quantum in the quantum archive seemed to refer to the stasis the items are held in whilst in storage.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Admiral Frasier Crane

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Admiral Crunch.

He was promoted.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Dark Admiral Jean-Luc Hyperriker.

or

Jean-Luc. Not the human, the weird alien child who was also the kid from Dream On (and maybe Robocop 2?) who was rescued and named by Riker and never mentioned again.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Admiral A Literal Humpback Whale

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Admiral Cyrano Jones IV

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I hope when we see Starfleet ships they don't look like the turds Discovery put out.

Also, at only 15 years later it should probably still be the -E.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drone posted:

Really hope they at least mention a Captain Nog at some point somehow.

At this point I know it's mostly just spitballing cameo ideas and shoehorning in familiar characters, but that one would be both timely and appropriate.

It would, however, involve the showrunners acknowledging the existence of DS9, so it's not likely to happen.

There was a Trill and a Bajorian on screen.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I hope when we see Starfleet ships they don't look like the turds Discovery put out.

Also, at only 15 years later it should probably still be the -E.

The Federation ships on Disco look fine, while the Klingon Ships, literally one of them is a flying turd. The Romulan ships we saw in this episode look good, and clear design based on Romulans and their love of birbs. Also HOLY poo poo CLASSIC ROMULAN SHIP IN THE SEASON TRAILER????

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also the best answer is the one we sadly will not get: Captain Nog.

:(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

While this could be cool, does it even need to be the -F? The -E is like 25 years old at this point, maybe the Sovereign-class turns out to have some longevity to it.

An Enterprise cameo (regardless of which letter comes after the name) is probably too hard to resist for the writer's team though. Seems like mostly a question of who they're gonna cameo as her captain. My money's on Geordi.

The E is my favourite Enterprise design, I just kind of want the F to be actual canon because it's derpy double decker space bathtub shape has kind of grown on me over the years since it was unveiled.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

In Children of Mars all the ships being built at Utopia Planitia were straight up Discovery ships.

Also the computers were all Discovery UI. Whoever made that mini really didn't give a poo poo.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MikeJF posted:

In Children of Mars all the ships being built at Utopia Planitia were straight up Discovery ships.

Also the computers were all Discovery UI. Whoever made that mini really didn't give a poo poo.

In the season trailer at the end of episode 1 it looked like there might be a Luna class ship that appears? If they make Luna canon that would be a nice sign.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, Brent Spiner in a slightly ill-fitting TNG movie-era uniform.

Oh double god, Dunkirk in space.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Romulans turning a Borg Cube into a habitat seems interesting and quite smart when you think about it; Cubes are basically halfway between a starbase and a spaceship already, and it probably wasn't difficult to refit once you figure out how to deal with Borg technology. And of course, it's already in their preferred colour scheme.

Interesting that the attack was specifically on Mars and Starfleet's primary shipyards- specifically a military target that would cripple Starfleet's infrastructure for years to come. It's not surprising that would cause Starfleet to withdraw from even humanitarian missions and get on the defensive- every ship they lost would be one they couldn't replace for years, and a damaged ship has no guarantee of proper repairs. I'm imagining Starfleet's reaction was exactly the intent of the attack, whoever it was. This might also mean that we see a lot of classic ships perhaps along with new and exotic ones- old ships that still function pulled out of mothballs because they're desperately needed, and the Federation leaning more on other allied species to provide ships and infrastructure.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

In the season trailer at the end of episode 1 it looked like there might be a Luna class ship that appears? If they make Luna canon that would be a nice sign.

Yeah the brief glimpses of other Starfleet ships that we got in Picard seemed to hew to a TNG-movie era aesthetic well enough. But who knows.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How many shots lovingly feature the dog's proton torpedoes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

They have very specifically said that Geordi, Worf and Crusher are not appearing this season--and that they considered not bringing back any of the old cast--because they want the show to be its own thing, not a TNG reunion series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Picard's totally going to be getting into things when he realises he's basically in a Dixon Hill mystery.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Carbon dioxide posted:

Data did two paintings. Picard has the original of one, that doesn't show the face in his study. The archive has the original of the other, with the face. Picard has seen it before, decades ago, so he goes to look at it to refresh his memory.

And she looks a LOT like Lal, which is a really nice touch.

twistedmentat posted:

Also HOLY poo poo CLASSIC ROMULAN SHIP IN THE SEASON TRAILER????

I'm giving the series a pass just for that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda hope they steal the classic bird of prey and use it as their ship.

Couldn't see but it better have an ostentatious bird painted on the bottom.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

marktheando posted:

What's the significance of Data having five queens of hearts in the poker game? Has he been cheating this whole time?

I thought "borg queen" when that happened. This ep didn't really explore Picard's borg trauma, but I expect that'll come up quite a bit during the season, and it'd make sense in that context for him to have nightmares involving queens.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I just assumed the queens meant literally nothing, other than having five of the same card to tip Picard off to the fact that he was dreaming.

I'm not sure that everything has to have a secret hidden meaning, that's a weird mentality that years of being broken by LOST seems to have imparted on modern TV.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's a Q reference

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Gasp! No, really? ;)

Yeah that's a really common trope by this point, one that we've seen in countless stories and one of the groaner moments of the show. If a 2019 Jason Bourne show is your first exposure to it though, let me be the first to welcome you to planet earth Mr Ambassador.

"Do you really believe that there's some stored up conflict that exists between us? There is no us. We don't exist. So who do you wanna hit, man? It's not me. Now whaddya wanna do here, man?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

I just assumed the queens meant literally nothing, other than having five of the same card to tip Picard off to the fact that he was dreaming.

I'm not sure that everything has to have a secret hidden meaning, that's a weird mentality that years of being broken by LOST seems to have imparted on modern TV.

Unfortunately Alex Kurtzman is a disciple of the increasingly reviled JJ Abrams Mystery Box style of storytelling that was perfected on Lost. And it takes a while, if ever, to unlearn that kind of storytelling.

I agree though it was probably just a quick shorthand for letting Picard know (because the audience has already figured it out) that he's dreaming by having Data slam down a literally impossible poker hand and then everything going to poo poo in the dream when Picard realizes he's dreaming.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

"Do you really believe that there's some stored up conflict that exists between us? There is no us. We don't exist. So who do you wanna hit, man? It's not me. Now whaddya wanna do here, man?"

Whoah, I'm feeling personally Cusack'd right now.

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Tighclops posted:

It's a Q reference

Yeah, I thought they hit the viewer over the head with that one.

Q Q Q Q Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Decided to finally sub to All Access for Picard. Overall I thought it was a pretty good episode. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.