Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Saw this one sale, is it any use?

I played Civ5 and thought it lacked any challenge. The AI couldn't handle one unit per hex and was too easy to outmaneuver.
Did they improve on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chronojam posted:

Sometimes the ai fails to found its capital actually

well yeah but only because the weighted spawn screwed up and it spawned next to a different player's settler that got its turn first

Marenghi posted:

I played Civ5 and thought it lacked any challenge. The AI couldn't handle one unit per hex and was too easy to outmaneuver.

there's a goon in this thread who does a cage match against high-level AIs every time firaxis's singular unpaid intern left on this game releases his annual patch. his quest: determine whether or not the devs have finally patched out the bug that makes civ 6 AIs incapable of targeting walled cities with any sort of focused aggression

his findings: no. they still haven't. of course they still haven't

hes a good egg but civ 6 aint

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 24, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Marenghi posted:

No, it's worse. They improved on the game in a bunch of ways-- you can go wide again, you can focus on conquest without getting overly punished, the districts system is great, there's a bunch of really cool niche pics wrt civs and wonders and natural wonders-- but the AI is fuckawful. It basically just can't play the game.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Yeah the only 2 loss types I have ever experienced were religious and culture, and in both those cases it's because I wasn't paying attention.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
They actually expanded the ways the AI is dumb

Like, the AI now is incredibly dumb at city building, something it handled relatively well in Civ 5

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Like, the AI now is incredibly dumb at city building, something it handled relatively well in Civ 5
Yep, and the situation is exacerbated by Gathering Storm, wherein the AI will build half its districts on tiles that will flood and submerge at the first hint of climate change.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

At least they fixed the YEILD/YIELD bug/error/typo.
:downs:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
A good example is the new government plaza building which can give some pretty useful boosts. I only ever tend to see it in tiny border cities, with none of the buildings inside, and usually not next to any other districts.

What the AI is good at: spamming apostles and sending them everywhere to try and win religion.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chronojam posted:

I miss having the leaders basically Twitter fight back and forth at the top of the screen, especially if they knew each other from back on Earth

Trump was in that game?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

The problem with both 5 and 6 is that the better you get at the game, the more you can see through all of the smoke and mirrors and realize just how truly bad the AI is.

Basically there's a curve of how fun civ 6 is that peaks around the time you start getting good enough to compete in games on Emperor.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 27, 2020

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Its me the thread civ VI apologist with 900 hours or some poo poo in civ vi. Its a sim city game on deity once you know how to bully the AI, and realize early aggression is like 80-90% how you steamroll to victory against AI. I play a lot of coop with friends or MP humans only games. Its good for that. Provided everyone takes their drat turns.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Running through a game to see how early I can get a space victory right now and ran into an odd trade situation. The various AIs keep asking me for insane trades - 1 or more of my cities, multiple luxuries, etc., offering a pittance of gold - and then are turning it down from the get go, asking me to make it more acceptable. I'm really trying to understand how these are coming about and I just can't see it.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
long time vanilla player first time Gathering Stormer. Can I get some basic strategies, please? there are a lot of new mechanics here...

on vanilla i usually did conquest or science if I was bored.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Defenestration posted:

long time vanilla player first time Gathering Stormer. Can I get some basic strategies, please? there are a lot of new mechanics here...

Don't settle a city right next to a volcano unless you enjoy recreating Pompeii

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Defenestration posted:

Pingala and his + science + culture per city's population are my first three governor cards in most / nearly all games.

Government district is very good for its future buildings. Get one after your first campus imo, and plan to keep the buildings current whichever you choose.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 28, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Defenestration posted:

Most of the disasters aren't that big of a deal. Depending on how wide/spread out you go, it may make sense to keep a builder with 1 charge hanging around to repair in case of a bad disaster, but otherwise it's a matter of picking up the pieces beforehand. Power is a nonissue if you don't have the resources for it, don't sweat it. World Congress is stupid.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I used to kinda hate playing wide, but now I've discovered the way to make it work and have fun with it. Getting Casa de Contracion and adding the Colonial Taxes policy card means those new cities will be useful a lot faster, and if you can manage to get a golden age Sic Hunt Draconis or however that's spelled you can plop down cities anywhere and barely even notice the production difference between them and your core cities. Ancestral Hall in the Government Plaza so you get a worker free to start doing whatever you want, Grand Master's Chapel if you're worried about the hostility of the local area to quickly pump out units to defend them.

I played Rome and got an Era score thing I didn't even know existed before, getting to ten cities before anyone else does.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shooting Blanks posted:

Most of the disasters aren't that big of a deal. Depending on how wide/spread out you go, it may make sense to keep a builder with 1 charge hanging around to repair in case of a bad disaster, but otherwise it's a matter of picking up the pieces beforehand. Power is a nonissue if you don't have the resources for it, don't sweat it. World Congress is stupid.

well there is one big deal disaster: Hurricanes

you can't guard/build against them, workers can't repair districts, and they appear out of nowhere

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

well there is one big deal disaster: Hurricanes

you can't guard/build against them, workers can't repair districts, and they appear out of nowhere

I've played probably ten complete Gathering Storm games at this point and I don't think I've ever really bothered about hurricanes. Droughts can be pretty painful and I've been wrecked by tornadoes before, but the biggest concerns IMO are river flooding, coastal flooding and volcanoes.

River flood and volcanoes are even worth dealing with I think for the production bonuses you get. Build up some 6+ food tiles then slap a hydrodam down and you're more than set. With volcanoes I just wish I understood how it decides whether to give you extra food or hammers after an eruption. I played a game on that primeval map with the Inca and my mountain cities became ridiculous, even factoring in the constant district repairs.

e: All due apologies to Pachacuti.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 29, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

ded posted:

Don't settle a city right next to a volcano unless you enjoy recreating Pompeii

Or do settle next to the volcano, then when it erupts the AIs will give you poo poo lots of gold as part of an emergency.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Nucular Carmul posted:

I used to kinda hate playing wide, but now I've discovered the way to make it work and have fun with it. Getting Casa de Contracion and adding the Colonial Taxes policy card means those new cities will be useful a lot faster, and if you can manage to get a golden age Sic Hunt Draconis or however that's spelled you can plop down cities anywhere and barely even notice the production difference between them and your core cities.

A lot of the times I settle these pop 4 cities they instantly go into starvation (as they're frequently areas with poor natural terrain but close to important resources like coal or niter) so bear that in mind.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Victory wise, the world congress kind of sucks but I like that it unifies people against various threats. It's an interesting concept that they should do more with. Overall they feel like something more tailored for multiplayer to slow down better players but hampering their engine.

The tiles sinking as the ice caps melt is an interesting thing as well. It's funny though that CO2 production levels can mostly be ignored just like real life Civs do.

Disasters are too unpredictable to really try and play around but if you're a Civ that likes settling around floodplains then you can afford to skip on a few farms for the food because post flood those will be super fertile grounds in the early eras.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Chad Sexington posted:

I played a game on that primeval map with Maya and my mountain cities became ridiculous, even factoring in the constant district repairs.

Reported for racism.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Can someone explain the basics of conquering a city for a relatively new player? What should I do? I've never gone hardcore with military but Shaka won't leave me the gently caress alone and won't make peace.

I'm behind in military to him as the Netherlands, is it basically impossible to beat him? I just got knights and he swatted away my heavy chariots and catapults pretty easily. He's got mostly swordsmen and knights.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Not a pro-player, but try to use the rock-paper-scissor mechanics and terrain to your advantage. Also, use ranged units, because the AI does not know how to use them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
To take cities you really need siege equipment (catapults/cannons/battering rams). Don't directly attack the city with melee units until you've withered down the defenses.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Can someone explain the basics of conquering a city for a relatively new player? What should I do? I've never gone hardcore with military but Shaka won't leave me the gently caress alone and won't make peace.

I'm behind in military to him as the Netherlands, is it basically impossible to beat him? I just got knights and he swatted away my heavy chariots and catapults pretty easily. He's got mostly swordsmen and knights.

Placing a city under siege is essential. This means you have a unit with zone of control covering all movement eligible hexes out of
a city. So this will look like 2-3 warriors spread around a city so that every city center adjacent hex has a melee unit in it or next to it. Once a city is placed under siege youll see a red icon on its flag, and it stops healing between turns. Its super easy to just mass warriors and zerg a few city states / AI early on like this. Bonus points if you have a fleet of archers to do the damage while your warriors just fortify murder everything.

Once they get walls, you can use a siege tower but pretty quickly need siege weapons from there.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Popete posted:

To take cities you really need siege equipment (catapults/cannons/battering rams). Don't directly attack the city with melee units until you've withered down the defenses.
This, unless you're suzerain of that one military city-state which makes your melee units do full damage to enemy's walls. Another consideration is loyalty. You want to go after cities that you'll be able to hold onto, and raze the ones you won't. Bigger cities that are close to your borders will be the ideal capture targets early in a war.

Don't try to capture cities if you're in a dark age unless you have an overwhelming force and/or tech advantage so you can steamroll through the enemy.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Also if it turns out that nothing you do puts the city under siege, it'll be because they have a governer there that prevents the city being besieged. The AI loves using that guy

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How much damage do city walls block from, say, an unbuffed melee unit?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Mokotow posted:

Not sure about percentages, but if you click the unit and then mouse over the city it'll preview an estimation of the damage to the city and the remaining hp your unit will have. It won't be pretty for the melee unit.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Mokotow posted:

Depends on era of walls vs the melee unit era, if your melee unit is +1/2 eras compared to the wall you're fine to mass 6+ of them to chip away. In most every situation involving a city with walls, you're going to need a siege tower or catapults -> bombards before thinking about it. You really can't effectively trade with melee against a city with walls without a siege tower.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thanks for all the tips, dudes. Unfortunately I can't play for a few days. I always forget what I'm doing when this happens.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yep, and the situation is exacerbated by Gathering Storm, wherein the AI will build half its districts on tiles that will flood and submerge at the first hint of climate change.

Why would an ancient people think of a concept like climate change?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They'd be slightly worried about their eternal unaging despot commanding similarly immortal overseas armies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Why would an ancient people think of a concept like climate change?

good point, let's remove those indicators from the player until the last era of gameplay, it's more realistic that way

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It world actually make sense for them to be locked behind a specific technology/social.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Like it made a lot more sense when the world congress was only available after everyone have already met

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Politics has warped my brain because I both don't settle on tiles that will flood (which I agree should not be visible until later eras) nor do I build coal or oil-fired powerplants because I don't want to cause climate change even though rationally I probably should do it to hurt the AI who does settle on flood tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean we have that game, where you start small and organically grow into a huge 4X empire with a lot of narriative decision making along the way.

It's called Stellaris and it's awful. Or at the very least poor enough that we can be glad that Civ is sticking to being Civ.