Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Johnny Aztec posted:

I just need to hurry and sell this to a collector so THEY can get into this drat hard drive and solve this poo poo, because it is seriously bugging the hell out of me.

Out of curiosity, what would you ask for it?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Was it a chain Pharmacy? What state was it in?

Nope. Local pharmacy attached to his rural medical practice. Pennsylvania.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I found the biggest kit of these tools I've ever seen at a thrift store. It's probably in my post history in this thread.

Edit: Yep.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
What's the dotted line tool/attachment thing called?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
"dotted line drawing pen", a subset of "drawing pens"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Queen Combat posted:

That seems too simple for such a clever device. It deserves a name like "Gepunkteteliniezeichenstift

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Strichzeichnungstift

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cojawfee posted:

Strichzeichnungstift

Punktierapparat (in German, scroll down for translation).
Not to be confused with the Punktiergerät used by sculptors.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I'll say it

this owns

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

verbal enema posted:

I'll say it

this owns

Until your balls get dirty.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Queen Combat posted:

:tipshat:

And like others said, that's a strangely simple, straightforward name. Not what I expected with something as esoteric as that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Plinkey posted:

I've been to a few wedding where they had these:

and a bunch of rolls of film and batteries at each table. They make a version that are stickers so you could take pictures of your table then tape them in the scap book thing and write something under the pictures

everyone, including my 20 year old sister was shaking them to make them develop faster even though I tried to explain how poloriods work smh

I had this at my wedding. I got pissed of because the film is stupid expensive and my sister was taking individual pictures of her kids rather than just a family unit like the instructions said and how everyone else was doing it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

DariusLikewise posted:

I had this at my wedding. I got pissed of because the film is stupid expensive and my sister was taking individual pictures of her kids rather than just a family unit like the instructions said and how everyone else was doing it.

If your camera came back full of pictures of cute kids, rather than a guest's dick, I don't think you should complain too much

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Until your balls get dirty.

There was no pleasure quite like cleaning your balls for smooth, stutter-free motion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

If your camera came back full of pictures of cute kids, rather than a guest's dick, I don't think you should complain too much

It's an instant camera. If it was similar to the other person's experience where people were supposed to stick the pictures in an album, it would probably be annoying for a large section of the album to be used up by each individual kid.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

It's an instant camera. If it was similar to the other person's experience where people were supposed to stick the pictures in an album, it would probably be annoying for a large section of the album to be used up by each individual kid.

Still less annoying than a large section of the album to be used up by each individual dick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I doubt people would put dick picks in it when they have to put a physical picture in the album. Anyone can take a disposable camera to the bathroom, take a picture of their dick and throw it back on a table without anyone knowing. It would take a real nutjob to do it with what is essentially a modern polarioid.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
You don't have to keep rubbing my face in how much more classy your family is than mine.

Granny Mable was very surprised.

Uncle George was oddly excited.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt people would put dick picks in it when they have to put a physical picture in the album. Anyone can take a disposable camera to the bathroom, take a picture of their dick and throw it back on a table without anyone knowing. It would take a real nutjob to do it with what is essentially a modern polarioid.
Going all the way to the bathroom to take a dick pic is actually classy as hell.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Shut up Meg posted:

I would have been extremely impressed if someone managed to get a picture of their dick and stick it in the album given the time and setting of the wedding

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The trick is to Wayne Gretzky it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Shut up Meg posted:

You don't have to keep rubbing my face in how much more classy your family is than mine.

Granny Mable was very surprised.

Uncle George was oddly excited.

Shut up Meg

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Bare bum shots are way classier anyway. Anyone can laugh at those.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

When goons get married, there's going to be a lot of bums in those pictures anyways

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

This sound in this video is half the joy, my dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaAHiiCnteY

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, after taking it apart, seems the thing doesn't have any RAM?

I don't have the means to hookup a 25 year old SCSI drive, unfortunately. and it is running IBM's AIX system
It would probably help solve some questions :(

I have an SGI Indy which will hook up to external SCSI drives. I even have a whopping 512mb external SCSI (which cost a fortune at the time). Oh, and instead of floppy disks the Indy reads 20Mb floptical disks.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It may be easier to find a 68 to 50-pin adapter and put it in an internal slot, if the Indy has more than one drive bay. (Unless it's already 50-pin? I'm not sure when that transition happened vs the age of the Indy).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stoatbringer posted:

I have an SGI Indy which will hook up to external SCSI drives. I even have a whopping 512mb external SCSI (which cost a fortune at the time). Oh, and instead of floppy disks the Indy reads 20Mb floptical disks.
All of SGI's old floptical drives will read standard 3 1/2" floppies as well.

I never owned an Indy. I almost bought one to use as my home desktop back in the mid '90s, but I ended up getting a DEC alpha instead. I still have an old R4k Indigo though, mostly because it has what I think is my favourite physical layout of any desktop/workstation design.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Film of the last day the New York Times was done on linotype, with interviews of several of the workers at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGjFKs9bnU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ryonguy posted:

Film of the last day the New York Times was done on linotype, with interviews of several of the workers at the time.

Unreal, they had a quick cast machine to turn paragraphs into lead casts. Also no-one handling these with gloves. Strange times.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ryonguy posted:

Pro-click. This is one of those videos I wind up watching whenever I run into it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ryonguy posted:

Farewell to the linotype and hello to modern typesetting.

*sticks article to nonreproducable blue layout board with wax roller*

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Unreal, they had a quick cast machine to turn paragraphs into lead casts. Also no-one handling these with gloves. Strange times.

And they were cutting them on table saws (see around 10 minutes) which must have created lead dust. :zombie:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

And they were cutting them on table saws (see around 10 minutes) which must have created lead dust. :zombie:

I'm just surprised there wasn't at least several people chain smoking whilst doing so.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SubG posted:

All of SGI's old floptical drives will read standard 3 1/2" floppies as well.

I never owned an Indy. I almost bought one to use as my home desktop back in the mid '90s, but I ended up getting a DEC alpha instead. I still have an old R4k Indigo though, mostly because it has what I think is my favourite physical layout of any desktop/workstation design.

Ooh, did the Alpha have one of those awesome round mice with two angled wheels instead of a mouse ball? They were the tits.

Indigos were great as well. There was a single big screw holding the entire thing together, really easy to take apart.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ryonguy posted:

What struck me about this was how philosophical the old-timers were. "It's sad I guess, but you've got to move with the times and computers are the new thing now...". They liked the old way, but accepted that it had to end. Because if you told a bunch of 50+ years old today that the tiniest thing was going to change then you'd never hear the end of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sweevo posted:

What struck me about this was how philosophical the old-timers were. "It's sad I guess, but you've got to move with the times and computers are the new thing now...". They liked the old way, but accepted that it had to end. Because if you told a bunch of 50+ years old today that the tiniest thing was going to change then you'd never hear the end of it.

Dang millennials are ruining typesetting! :bahgawd:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

Ooh, did the Alpha have one of those awesome round mice with two angled wheels instead of a mouse ball? They were the tits.
Nah, this was one of the first 21164s, waaaay more modern than the e.g. VAXstations that used pucks.

Stoatbringer posted:

Indigos were great as well. There was a single big screw holding the entire thing together, really easy to take apart.
Not a screw, a dzus (a quarter-turn fastener). Here's some pics showing how easy it is to take an Indigo apart that I took for some previous incarnation of this thread:

The big purple box. The vents at the top are where the internal speaker lives, and the vents on the bottom are just vents. The panel on the righthand side of the front fascia swings out to give access to the internal removable media bays:

The two oval things are the catches for the front fascia. Depress both of them and the front comes right off.

Front fascia removed. The big round thing is the speaker. The black rectangle below it, next to the caution sign, is the power switch. Below that is a tape drive, and below it are two SCSI drives, all on tool-less drive sleds.

In the upper left is the dzus that holds the internal cage closed.

A quarter turn and the panel swings forward to reveal the daughter cards. Unlike PCs and most other computing hardware today, the Indigo doesn't have a motherboard, it has a backplane (note: technically not a backplane, but whatevs) and daughter cards that slot into it.

A closeup of the release tabs for the CPU and graphics option daughter cards. Release the tabs and the cards slide right out.

The back of the enclosure.

You'll notice that I've described how to remove the CPU board, the graphics board, and the drives and none of this involved using any tools. Which is great if you need to work on the thing. Not so great if you're leaving one in a graphics lab or something and don't want someone to be able to field strip the thing down to the bare metal in about ten seconds flat. To prevent that you could get a lock bar that runs through the front fascia and out the back (through the slot you see there below the output plug on the power supply) and then can be secured by a cable lock or whatever.

This view is also a sort of mini-museum of arcane and obsolete connectors: Centronix 50, parallel port, Ethernet AUI, proprietary keyboard, RS232 over mini DIN-8, 13W3 video, and the proprietary StereoView port for SGI 3D glasses:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SubG posted:

Nah, this was one of the first 21164s, waaaay more modern than the e.g. VAXstations that used pucks.

Not a screw, a dzus (a quarter-turn fastener). Here's some pics showing how easy it is to take an Indigo apart that I took for some previous incarnation of this thread:

The big purple box. The vents at the top are where the internal speaker lives, and the vents on the bottom are just vents. The panel on the righthand side of the front fascia swings out to give access to the internal removable media bays:

The two oval things are the catches for the front fascia. Depress both of them and the front comes right off.

Front fascia removed. The big round thing is the speaker. The black rectangle below it, next to the caution sign, is the power switch. Below that is a tape drive, and below it are two SCSI drives, all on tool-less drive sleds.

In the upper left is the dzus that holds the internal cage closed.

A quarter turn and the panel swings forward to reveal the daughter cards. Unlike PCs and most other computing hardware today, the Indigo doesn't have a motherboard, it has a backplane (note: technically not a backplane, but whatevs) and daughter cards that slot into it.

A closeup of the release tabs for the CPU and graphics option daughter cards. Release the tabs and the cards slide right out.

The back of the enclosure.

You'll notice that I've described how to remove the CPU board, the graphics board, and the drives and none of this involved using any tools. Which is great if you need to work on the thing. Not so great if you're leaving one in a graphics lab or something and don't want someone to be able to field strip the thing down to the bare metal in about ten seconds flat. To prevent that you could get a lock bar that runs through the front fascia and out the back (through the slot you see there below the output plug on the power supply) and then can be secured by a cable lock or whatever.

This view is also a sort of mini-museum of arcane and obsolete connectors: Centronix 50, parallel port, Ethernet AUI, proprietary keyboard, RS232 over mini DIN-8, 13W3 video, and the proprietary StereoView port for SGI 3D glasses:

Oh poo poo, weren't these like 10k back in the day?