Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

capitaldelendaest posted:

I've seen people say that but that is very much not what she is doing to me, I leave Dimitri in range, she goes for whoever she wants. And no one is tanking her crits for me on Maddening.

God I hate siege spell havers that can crit, it's the most bullshit fake difficulty.

She attacks twice per round. One attack will always be spent on Dimitri if he's in range. The other can be used on whoever she feels like.

I've also heard that if you can manage to attack her with Byleth, it will stun her until you attack her again, but I can't confirm from my own AM game as Byleth spent the last phase of the map slaughtering the stream of summoned adds as they approached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
She will absolutely attack Lysithea and Merecedes in the same round, even if Dmitri is within range. I can say that with certainty because it happened to me one hour ago, and the second attack killed Lysithea with a crit.

^I feel crazy, Dmitiri is def. in range, could there be some triggering condition I'm missing, like the AI senses it could kill Mercedes or Lysithea and that's enough to override the Dmitri default? I am not lying about her not targeting him! And the problem isn't that she hits people, everyone can live one hit, but she crits people enough to eat all my divine pulses. It's just tedious.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 21, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

She will absolutely attack Lysithea and Merecedes in the same round, even if Dmitri is within range. I can say that with certainty because it happened to me one hour ago, and the second attack killed Lysithea with a crit.

^I feel crazy, Dmitiri is def. in range, could there be some triggering condition I'm missing, like the AI senses it could kill Mercedes or Lysithea and that's enough to override the Dmitri default? I am not lying about her not targeting him! And the problem isn't that she hits people, everyone can live one hit, but she crits people enough to eat all my divine pulses. It's just tedious.

You mentioned you're in Maddening, so maybe Edelgard's AI changes on that difficulty.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does passing an exam grant stat bonuses even if you don't switch into that class? Should I be buying and using all the intermediate seals every month?

How rare are advanced and master seals

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does passing an exam grant stat bonuses even if you don't switch into that class? Should I be buying and using all the intermediate seals every month?

How rare are advanced and master seals

Each class has a Base Stat, so anyone switching to a higher armored class for example gets their base stats "pitied" to that base.

You will eventually be able to buy infinite regular seals.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't know who decided that every single class needed a Short Axe Girl, but they deserve a medal.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I like having pegasus knight being female only because it means you can change every girl in Awakening into a Dark flier and then drive down to Grima singing "Sisters are doin' it for themselves" as loud as you can.

... Wait what do you mean nobody else did that?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Many women like seeing men along with women in the fiction they enjoy. Your take seems like it only makes sense in a world where the audience can only be straight males and you want them to only experience female characters to broaden their horizons or whatever.
It's really just because that's what I enjoy and I don't give a poo poo about what anyone else wants.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Eimi posted:

Marianne is secretly your second reason caster not a healer.

There's no difference between these two roles.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Last Celebration posted:

OTOH, Conquest also decided Wary Fighter Golems was a good idea instead of horribly unpleasant, so “solid” is a bit of a stretch.

There aren’t any golems until the final shop opens. Conquest's offers the brave weapons for a reason.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I just beat this level on maddening myself. I think for the first couple turns, Edelgard attacked my two weakest units (Annette and Lysithea). But from 3 onward, she always used one of her attacks on Dimitri. I’m not sure what triggered the switch.

Advice re crits, because this was a huge pain for me too:
-special dance gives +4 luck
-if you’re using them, Flayn and Alois can give +8 luck
-the goddess ring gives +4 luck, and you can even shuffle it into a staff-holding mage’s inventory after they attack

This small luck boosts can change Edelgard’s AI. Without any modifiers, my Edelgard was attacking Lysithea with ~90 to hit and ~12 crit. But with a single +4 luck, she began targeting Annette with ~60 to hit and ~4 to crit.

So you might not eliminate the risk of bullshit ranged crits, but hopefully this helps you mitigate it. Good luck and don’t forget the turn that a unit enters the throne room E stops long range attacking but two siege tome mages appear on each flank!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zoran posted:

There aren’t any golems until the final shop opens. Conquest's offers the brave weapons for a reason.

Are they actually useful? I remember being told about Fates that you should never use anything other than forged Iron stuff given the penalties other weapons have.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Fates is crazy dickish about skills. Like the idea of another ranged weapon and a ranged weapon triangle? Sure cool. Making one of those just loving give out debuffs that last for loving ever?!!? Fuuuuck off.

Yeah if the debuffs lasted one turn like they do in Three Houses I’d think they’re cool but they’re just completely miserable and anti-fun in Fates.

Ninjas might be the most infuriating enemies in the entire series.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Eimi posted:

Are they actually useful? I remember being told about Fates that you should never use anything other than forged Iron stuff given the penalties other weapons have.

The brave melee weapons are a static -4 Def/Res while equipped, a total non-issue, especially because you can use trading to switch to a better enemy-phase weapon if need be.

Crescent Bow and Soldier's Knife have the effect of halving your strength for the next attack. The penalty clears immediately after the next combat involving the wielder, even if they're the support in attack stance, and even if they use the brave weapon again—use it twice in a row and you’re back to normal strength.

Conquest also has three copies of the brave-effect tome Lightning, which absolutely wrecks Stoneborn, but it has the stacking -2 Mag/-2 Skl effect so you can't spam it over and over. You get the first Lightning at the second shop (after chapter 13!), the second from the third shop (after chapter 20), and a third one from Ophelia's paralogue.

None of the ranged weapons' penalties trigger when supporting in attack stance, so you can send a brave wielder in first to delete something, then follow with up to four unpaired units who can all benefit from brave dual strikes.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
If I clear Blue Lions and one of Black Eagles storylines will I have all the recruitable units when I start my Golden Stag playthrough? Or do I need to complete both endings in Black Eagles?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Smiling Knight posted:

I just beat this level on maddening myself. I think for the first couple turns, Edelgard attacked my two weakest units (Annette and Lysithea). But from 3 onward, she always used one of her attacks on Dimitri. I’m not sure what triggered the switch.

Advice re crits, because this was a huge pain for me too:
-special dance gives +4 luck
-if you’re using them, Flayn and Alois can give +8 luck
-the goddess ring gives +4 luck, and you can even shuffle it into a staff-holding mage’s inventory after they attack

This small luck boosts can change Edelgard’s AI. Without any modifiers, my Edelgard was attacking Lysithea with ~90 to hit and ~12 crit. But with a single +4 luck, she began targeting Annette with ~60 to hit and ~4 to crit.

So you might not eliminate the risk of bullshit ranged crits, but hopefully this helps you mitigate it. Good luck and don’t forget the turn that a unit enters the throne room E stops long range attacking but two siege tome mages appear on each flank!

Thanks for the advice. I nearly cleared the chapter just now, but she smoked Marianne on the last turn (because I placed Ingrid poorly, Marianne was caught in the Wilted Flower attack), but between your advice and what I learned with this run, maybe next time... This might be what it takes to make me start playing on casual.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

do u believe in marigolds posted:

If I clear Blue Lions and one of Black Eagles storylines will I have all the recruitable units when I start my Golden Stag playthrough? Or do I need to complete both endings in Black Eagles?

What?

Sep 13, 2007

I guess what I'm asking is does New Game + take from multiple storyline clears and also what Black Eagle stuff I need to complete for that stuff to carry over to a new (Golden Deer) playthrough.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I guess what I'm asking is does New Game + take from multiple storyline clears and also what Black Eagle stuff I need to complete for that stuff to carry over to a new (Golden Deer) playthrough.

The only thing that directly carries over are statues. What happens in a NG+ is that you start with a lot of points you can spend on things like buying back professor, skill, and support ranks.

Sep 13, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

The only thing that directly carries over are statues. What happens in a NG+ is that you start with a lot of points you can spend on things like buying back professor, skill, and support ranks.

I know, I completed Blue Lions and started a Black Eagle NG+ which let me invite characters from Blue Lions over. If I start a new Gold Deer NG+ will I be able to invite Blue Lions and Black Eagle characters over? I'm trying to ask this question without spoilering any Black Eagle stuff.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I know, I completed Blue Lions and started a Black Eagle NG+ which let me invite characters from Blue Lions over. If I start a new Gold Deer NG+ will I be able to invite Blue Lions and Black Eagle characters over? I'm trying to ask this question without spoilering any Black Eagle stuff.

That has nothing to do with it. You are able to grab characters who you meet certain expectations off by a combination of skill and support ranks.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Eimi posted:

That's a stupid as poo poo idea unless you're abusing dlc or online functions for money. And even then there will always be situations where you'll need to equip something for extra def/spd/crit/whatever. I barely ever use them on my lunatic runs

quote:

Cyril is the best dancer cause he sucks otherwise

He gets point blank shot at C+ Bow, that makes him better than like half the cast on Maddening

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if you a-rank someone's support, you can buy it back for 1200 renown in new game+. at a support, they will automatically join your class.

so, if you want to recruit them asap in new game+, get them to a-rank support.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Did you think you can't recruit people on normal new game???????

Even when the game clearly tutorialises this and gives you the recruit prompt whenever you talk to anyone?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Almost three days without an impassioned rant about whether Edelgard was right or kicked puppies? I don't even know you people anymore.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cobbsprite posted:

Almost three days without an impassioned rant about whether Edelgard was right or kicked puppies? I don't even know you people anymore.

I am getting that fix from one of the discords that I am in.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1220609931767898112?s=09

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm currently playing through Verdant Wind (having completed Crimson Flower) and it's kind of insane how much Claude sucks compares to Edelgard. Not in some grand judgment of their respective philosophies, so much as his complete absence of a personality beyond harping on one of his three character traits. At this point I'm only playing on because I must be about to hit some of the lore stuff that gets glossed over on Crimson Flower.

On a sorta unrelated note, Seteth is a fantastic character. I have yet to read a single support conversation of his that isn't perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm currently playing through Verdant Wind (having completed Crimson Flower) and it's kind of insane how much Claude sucks compares to Edelgard. Not in some grand judgment of their respective philosophies, so much as his complete absence of a personality beyond harping on one of his three character traits. At this point I'm only playing on because I must be about to hit some of the lore stuff that gets glossed over on Crimson Flower.
Claude got some odd rewrites in translation. In the translation he mostly just says he's shady and then never really acts on it, in the JP he makes it much more clear that he's explicitly using Byleth as a tool. He's still the least interesting of the lords but it makes his actions make a lot more sense, and the dynamic of him both caring about Byleth as a person but also using him as a bluntforce instrument to get what he wants is at least something. It's still there in the translation, but its downplayed a fair bit.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
his genius scheme is to constantly be talking about schemes and never actually do any

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

Claude got some odd rewrites in translation. In the translation he mostly just says he's shady and then never really acts on it, in the JP he makes it much more clear that he's explicitly using Byleth as a tool. He's still the least interesting of the lords but it makes his actions make a lot more sense, and the dynamic of him both caring about Byleth as a person but also using him as a bluntforce instrument to get what he wants is at least something. It's still there in the translation, but its downplayed a fair bit.

Theres like 50% of his fans that want to be his tool. The translators keeps loving up!!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ungulateman posted:

his genius scheme is to constantly be talking about schemes and never actually do any
Yeah, because he doesn't go around telling people about all the real ones.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'maybe we should split up and attack these bandits from both sides' you're a loving genius Claude, nobody else could come up with such daring and bold tactics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean, of course Claude is going to come off as the least interesting Lord when he's the one who doesn't get a proper route to flesh out his own motivations and arc instead of just taking a back seat to Rhea. He has to matter little enough that he can be removed from the story without consequence because there's literally a version of the same story without him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It'd be nice if they did a DLC for Warriors to include the three houses people.
It'd also pad out the TINY amount of axe users the game has.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ungulateman posted:

*battle of the eagle and lion*
Claude: hey guys, wouldn't it make it easy to win if we set that hill on fire?
Everyone::stonk:
Claude: ... I was just kidding of course. Doing that could hurt someone! I was definitely kidding!

*Five years later*
Everyone::supaburn:
Claude:...that was MY scheme...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a translation available somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Taear posted:

It'd be nice if they did a DLC for Warriors to include the three houses people.
It'd also pad out the TINY amount of axe users the game has.

Axe at least gets 3 different movesets.

Bow has 4 users with the same moveset and Lance only got 3 when the DLC added two Lance users.