Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

None of the calculations I've seen include the cost of storing a car like that properly.

Listen man, I picked this car up with 120k miles and now it's only got 140k. Nothing's gone wrong and the suspension works fine. I know what I got, don't lowball me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Are there any Macan or Cayenne owners here that DON’T garage them? I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger on a Macan S because I live in a place with real winters and don’t have any covered parking. I do have my own driveway and own my house.

It just feels dirty spending so much on a car and not being able to shelter it.

Edit: just to clarify I’m soliciting all thoughts on the subject, even if you garage the car.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 24, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Are there any Macan or Cayenne owners here that DON’T garage them? I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger on a Macan S because I live in a place with real winters and don’t have any covered parking. I do have my own driveway and own my house.

Edit: just to clarify I’m soliciting all thoughts on the subject, even if you garage the car.

It's not about what you spent on the car. It's about keeping it clean and not walking out in the rain or having to clear snow off of it for me.

I particularly hate keeping cars with sunroofs outside if there are trees nearby because you're gonna clog the drains.

That being said, I've garaged my cayenne and other cars, I've also kicked them outside because what I'm driving right now isn't that thing that I want in the garage attached to the house and there's no space in the barn. They're just cars. Keep wax on them and cover them (with a proper cover that won't gently caress up the paint if it gets windy) if they are under filthy trees, etc.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

It's not about what you spent on the car. It's about keeping it clean and not walking out in the rain or having to clear snow off of it for me.

I particularly hate keeping cars with sunroofs outside if there are trees nearby because you're gonna clog the drains.

That being said, I've garaged my cayenne and other cars, I've also kicked them outside because what I'm driving right now isn't that thing that I want in the garage attached to the house and there's no space in the barn. They're just cars. Keep wax on them and cover them (with a proper cover that won't gently caress up the paint if it gets windy) if they are under filthy trees, etc.

This all makes sense, but I'm experiencing an illogical hang up about owning a nice car and appearing...frivolous? enough to not invest in a garage or a carport.

And yeah, I find it irritating to be fighting the elements all the time keeping my rig clean. Maybe it's time to consider building on at least a car port, or if this lack of covered parking is bothersome enough consider moving out of my starter home into something more suited for me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I obviously prefer to have my DD in a garage, but if I end up in a situation where I only have 1 garage space the M3 goes outside while the S2000 stays inside. So the "nicer", much more expensive car would sit outside. I wouldn't worry about it too much in your situation. I see nice cars parked outside all the time.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Anti-Hero posted:

?? My race car and equipment stays in the garage, the Cayenne is in the driveway. It's just a car.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I didn't have a garage for my 911 at first. Was a real pain because the wheels were super light and they'd get caked with ice and snow, which would gently caress up the balance. Also found it covered with snow from a snowblower, had a fun discussion with the landlord about that.

That was the end of parking outside for me. Not having a garage is rear end, even though I don't keep anything in it other than the car itself.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wife’s Macan and my Spyder stay in the garage. My beater stays outside.

I need to get over feeling guilty leaving a better beater outside.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The Prong Song posted:

It's just a car.

Yup. Obsessing over garaging a car is a lost cause. Enjoy it while you got it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would guess over half the people with garages in Los Angeles have them stuffed full of poo poo rather than putting their cars inside them

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I park my M3 in the garage because I don't like having to wash it all the drat time which is what happens in Los Angeles since dust just accumulates on the surface. The Volvo 240 and the NA Miata get to live outside.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Macan folks: does a 4x8 sheet of plywood fit in the back hatch at an angle?

It doesn’t need to close. Not having to gently caress with a 3rd vehicle or a trailer for a small lumber run would make a lot of sense.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 25, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

krysmopompas posted:

I can get you an answer tomorrow morning. For now, all four wheels fit in the back with the bench folded 2/3 down.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

krysmopompas posted:

no

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Internet is telling me the hole is 41 by 18 which gives you 45 inches. You need 48. If your plywood is not that thick you could bend it and it will hold itself in place. I say go for it. Don't you have a luggage rack you can strap it too?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Or rent a small utility trailer.

If you're not going to use it as a full 4x8, can you get the store to rip it before you load it up?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look I want hilarious pictures of six feet of plywood sticking out the hatch stop ruining this for me!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

It doesn’t need to close. Not having to gently caress with a 3rd vehicle or a trailer for a small lumber run would make a lot of sense.

The narrowest point width wise of the back hatch opening is 105cm wide. Depth of the hatch with the bench folded down, from the literal back of the driver's seat to the hatch sill, is 170cm.

So a full 4x8 sheet isn't going to fit.

Now, our local Porsche dealer had this awesome deal where if you buy a vehicle from them, you get free pickup truck rental for life through them.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Elephanthead posted:

Look I want hilarious pictures of six feet of plywood sticking out the hatch stop ruining this for me!

i can already move ripped sheets in a fiat...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Now, our local Porsche dealer had this awesome deal where if you buy a vehicle from them, you get free pickup truck rental for life through them.

That's amazing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

That's amazing

It's really quite good marketing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's really quite good marketing.

It's loving dangerous is what it is, because now I have less of a reason to not replace my F150 with a E53 AMG wagon or GLE450 with EABC.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

It's loving dangerous is what it is, because now I have less of a reason to not replace my F150 with a E53 AMG wagon or GLE450 with EABC.

Yup. I consider that quite good marketing. Perhaps even brilliant.

It's not very often a DEALERSHIP can do something useful for you other than administering warranty service.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

The narrowest point width wise of the back hatch opening is 105cm wide. Depth of the hatch with the bench folded down, from the literal back of the driver's seat to the hatch sill, is 170cm.

So a full 4x8 sheet isn't going to fit.

lol, over-under on the amount of times that truck gets rented a year?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

30 times a year but mostly by just one guy.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

30 times a year but mostly by just one guy.

Hey Chuck, you here for service or need the pickup again?

EDIT: Can I interest you in a 2020 911 Cab?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Do we have any classic Porsche fanatics here to help me sort out the parts list I’ll need to bring this Back? Gallery for now due to mobile posting; https://imgur.com/a/Ta5lw9i

1978 911 SC

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 28, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the spyder posted:

Do we have any classic Porsche fanatics here to help me sort out the parts list I’ll need to bring this Gallery for now due to mobile posting; https://imgur.com/a/Ta5lw9i

1978 911 SC

That is EXTREMELY my jam and looks awesome. What is your end goal here?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Right now, I just want to drive an old air cooled Porsche. Cars not perfect, don’t really want it to be. I just want to enjoy it.
1) Glass and seals to make it water tight
2) Headlights, wipers, and any other missing exterior pieces
3) Interior overhaul: Gauges, seats, carpet kit
4) Refresh suspension: Bushings, struts, brakes

At that point, it should be ready for a motor. I’ll rewire it based on the engine.

It was being stripped for track use. It needs almost everything, down to the brake booster.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

the spyder posted:

Do we have any classic Porsche fanatics here to help me sort out the parts list I’ll need to bring this Back? Gallery for now due to mobile posting; https://imgur.com/a/Ta5lw9i

1978 911 SC

If you go to the Porsche website you can download a complete parts catalog for the '78. You'll want to buy between one and six of everything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

That is EXTREMELY my jam and looks awesome.

Right? I've got a soft spot for white aircooled 911s, though. When my dad had his '74, one of his friends had a white '73, that he later replaced with a white 930 Turbo.

That 930 was my first taste of turbo lag. It was delicious.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Fuuuuck that’s tight. Make a thread or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

If you go to the Porsche website you can download a complete parts catalog for the '78. You'll want to buy between one and six of everything.

And all of it has been shipped back to Germany. Hell, everything from my 85 944 has already been shipped back to Germany.

But that's not the point: what is the intention of this car. That will reveal so many questions and investigations, even before the first parts are conceived of to be ordered.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right? I've got a soft spot for white aircooled 911s, though. When my dad had his '74, one of his friends had a white '73, that he later replaced with a white 930 Turbo.

That 930 was my first taste of turbo lag. It was delicious.

I had a white 75, which was a loving rot box that nobody every thought would be worth anything at the time. So I put the motor in a '69 VW beetle that I later crashed (of course, I was 17/18).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the spyder posted:

Right now, I just want to drive an old air cooled Porsche. Cars not perfect, don’t really want it to be. I just want to enjoy it.
1) Glass and seals to make it water tight
2) Headlights, wipers, and any other missing exterior pieces
3) Interior overhaul: Gauges, seats, carpet kit
4) Refresh suspension: Bushings, struts, brakes

At that point, it should be ready for a motor. I’ll rewire it based on the engine.

It was being stripped for track use. It needs almost everything, down to the brake booster.

I mean, you need everything. But I’d suggest you do the brakes, steering, and the minimum of everything else you can to get a motor in there and get it driving. The excitement of taking it around the block is the greatest motivator you’ll have to do more work on it, and it will help you figure out what your biggest priorities are.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Management posted:

you do the brakes, steering, and the minimum of everything else you can to get a motor in there and get it driving.

Without a clear vision of what this car is going to be........this is absolutely the correct thing to do. Once it's clear that that isn't a parts car.

It doesn't look like one, but I can't see enough to know if someone resprayed the poo poo out of bondo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mcqueen posted:

Fuuuuck that’s tight. Make a thread or something.

:emptyquote:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can you put a VW engine triaxle in there and save 25k? Asking for a friend. Also probably saving 50k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Can you put a VW engine triaxle in there and save 25k? Asking for a friend. Also probably saving 50k.

Yes, and he's already got a transaxle in there.

Better option is LS1. Always LS1.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yes, and he's already got a transaxle in there.

Better option is LS1. Always LS1.

Something like that is the perfect candidate too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

Something like that is the perfect candidate too.

The porsche purists just felt a disturbance in the force.