Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
How do people build late game militia companies?
I'm up to 13 bros and with my frontline now filled I'm not sure where to go from there.
I also have some starting bros in there that I haven't gotten around to firing yet but will because they're just not going to be good enough. So there will be some turnover even without deaths.

I could just put a two-hander each at the edges of the second line and make a polearm bro but that seems a bit boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Polearm bros rule, polearm mastery and pathfinder together and you've got lots of movement, range and damage. Add berserk and you're set.

You could make a classic skirmisher, shield, throwing weapons, bit like the polearm bro but more interesting to play. The barbarian axes are quite strong once you have the throwing weapon mastery. I can imagine the computer gets upset when the guy he's been shooting arrows at is finally in melee and you rotate him out, throwing axes at +40% damage next round. It's good fun.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Champion sword masters have to be the most bullshit thing I have seen in this game that has a whole lot of bullshit

Day 90 of this legends playthrough, 20 bros only 4 ranged, hitting a brick wall at this optional fight I can pay off for 10k mercenary group, 10 sword masters + champ, 7 master archers. The hedge knight and named Merc are entirely less threatening, it's insane

Moonshine Rhyme fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 23, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

My back line is all polearms and archers/crossbowmen, and my front line is a spear wall with secondary weapons like axes, flails, etc. that they can swap to if needed.

When I leveled them up I prioritized ranged defense and melee defense until both stats were at least 20, and simultaneously leveled melee attack (ranged attack for the starting archer). Once I hit 20 in defense- I start to level other stats like fatigue and resolve.

frogge fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 23, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I think regular Swordmasters already have 80 Melee Defense or something like that. I don't even want to know what champs are like.

Southpaugh posted:

Polearm bros rule, polearm mastery and pathfinder together and you've got lots of movement, range and damage. Add berserk and you're set.

You could make a classic skirmisher, shield, throwing weapons, bit like the polearm bro but more interesting to play. The barbarian axes are quite strong once you have the throwing weapon mastery. I can imagine the computer gets upset when the guy he's been shooting arrows at is finally in melee and you rotate him out, throwing axes at +40% damage next round. It's good fun.
Yeah, I'll probably make at least one polearm bro. They're good but on Expert I phased them out over time because I'd rather have an extra body on the line. With the militia origin that obviously won't be much of an issue.
In the future I could even see myself going with a frontline of dedicated tanks backed up by polearms and archers. Essentially playing the Ancient Dead. Wouldn't really work with 12 bros but might with 16. That won't be this run, though.

I'm building a throwing weapon + sword duelist because I got a Poacher that had the stats for it. He's using up so much ammunition that I don't think I'll make another one.

e:

frogge posted:

My back line is all polearms and archers/crossbowmen, and my front line is a spear wall with secondary weapons like axes, flails, etc. that they can swap to if needed.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought about trying in the future.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 23, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Nothing beats a dude with a warscythe (and a halberd for backup). Because you don't really need defensive perks on the back line beyond nimble you can take Beserk, Killing Frenzy, Crippling strikes and executioner. And you can have them pop shrooms with impunity.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I finally loving did it! It took a dozen attempts but I cleared the black monolith with zero casualties (veteran difficulty; day 470)

edit: It feels so good to be so wealthy that you are casually dropping tens of thousands in a shop to not just buy uniques, but to buy uniques that are replacing worse uniques that you are then selling.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 23, 2020

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I'm about to take on the kraken and black molonith myself. I tried a lone wolf(so I can't have any alternates) company of all frontliners and one archer(just cause I got an amazing bow very early) and it's been my most successful company by far. It's nice to just slowly march over everything and not worry about protecting archers. I just finished the goblin city and that was the only big fight I was really worried about not having ranged guys for.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've decided i'm gonna run a non ironman game and just try out new poo poo.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
One thing I hope they add in the new expansion is an increased variety of off-hand equipment. Right now there's only throwing nets and 3 types of viable shields and that's about it, unless I'm forgetting something.

It'd be nice to see some new shields added that could provide more utility such as making shield bash more effective, along with some more unconventional stuff like a off hand parrying dagger.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

JustaDamnFool posted:

One thing I hope they add in the new expansion is an increased variety of off-hand equipment. Right now there's only throwing nets and 3 types of viable shields and that's about it, unless I'm forgetting something.

It'd be nice to see some new shields added that could provide more utility such as making shield bash more effective, along with some more unconventional stuff like a off hand parrying dagger.
Grenades will most likely be off-hand items.

I wouldn't hate to see something like a spiked buckler either, though.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

JustaDamnFool posted:

Agreed. It'd be nice to add some items or perhaps perk (beyond duelist) that would mean that going almost all 2-handers isn't always the optimal late game strategy. The addition of Barbarians, while not perfect (hello and gently caress you to the Barbarian Chosen), did allow people to start to see the value in adding throwing mastery and speccing for a throwing build as opposed to just archers late game. It'd be cool if they found a way to further diversify builds that work in the late game.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

Agreed. It'd be nice to add some items or perhaps perk (beyond duelist) that would mean that going almost all 2-handers isn't always the optimal late game strategy. The addition of Barbarians, while not perfect (hello and gently caress you to the Barbarian Chosen), did allow people to start to see the value in adding throwing mastery and speccing for a throwing build as opposed to just archers late game. It'd be cool if they found a way to further diversify builds that work in the late game.

Why throwing mastery over just archers?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Throwing weapons work with Duelist; they do a lot of damage compared to other ranged weapons.
They also actually work against Orc Warriors and Ancient Dead, which relegate archers to "Guess I'll put some Overwhelm stacks on that guy there.".
Throwing bros are weaker than archers against some other enemies, obviously, and you'll always need archers to snipe out Necromancers, Hexen etc.
But you can definitely get good value out of throwing weapons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

Throwing weapons work with Duelist; they do a lot of damage compared to other ranged weapons.
They also actually work against Orc Warriors and Ancient Dead, which relegate archers to "Guess I'll put some Overwhelm stacks on that guy there.".
Throwing bros are weaker than archers against some other enemies, obviously, and you'll always need archers to snipe out Necromancers, Hexen etc.
But you can definitely get good value out of throwing weapons.

I’m going to try it. I never put overwhelm on archers because I don’t want to waste stat points on initiative - I go Beserk, killing frenzy, crippling strikes and executioner. I’ll do the same but with throwing mastery. Might need to cut recover I guess to fit duelist in.

Has anyone ever made serious use of poleaxes? I found a unique one with 117 damage, seems a waste to sell it but I just can't see how I would fit it into my battle strategy.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 24, 2020

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Why throwing mastery over just archers?

A couple of reasons, some of which Wizard Styles nailed in the post above. Also, the addition of barbarians meant the addition of barbarian throwing weapons - the heavy javelins and heavy axes. The javelins in particular, combined with throwing mastery and duelist, can lay down some SERIOUS pain through armor. Add in killing frenzy and it starts to get crazy. I've moved my archers to a hybrid bow + throwing mastery - this means giving up recover which is tough but not a deal-breaker. The heavy throwing axes are also amazing against the ancient dead, doing solid HP damage as well as respectable armor damage.

Some people use crippling strikes + executioner to really bring the hurt to barbarian chosen, but I haven't found room in the perk budget to allow this, plus tons of enemies are completely immune to injuries to begin with.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

A couple of reasons, some of which Wizard Styles nailed in the post above. Also, the addition of barbarians meant the addition of barbarian throwing weapons - the heavy javelins and heavy axes. The javelins in particular, combined with throwing mastery and duelist, can lay down some SERIOUS pain through armor. Add in killing frenzy and it starts to get crazy. I've moved my archers to a hybrid bow + throwing mastery - this means giving up recover which is tough but not a deal-breaker. The heavy throwing axes are also amazing against the ancient dead, doing solid HP damage as well as respectable armor damage.

Some people use crippling strikes + executioner to really bring the hurt to barbarian chosen, but I haven't found room in the perk budget to allow this, plus tons of enemies are completely immune to injuries to begin with.

What do you take instead of crippling strikes and executioner? I’ve found ever since they changed how nimble works I don’t need any defensive perks on backliners other than nimble and steel brow.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Since I take nimble and steel brow too, I'm going to guess that I'm taking Dodge and overwhelm where you're taking crippling strikes and executioner. I pretty much never take Pathfinder since I stopped playing iron Man. My guys usually end up with student first, then bullseye, Dodge, bow/throwing mastery, overwhelm, footwork, nimble, killing frenzy and berserk. Sometimes if the ranged recruit has trash initiative base and stars, I skip Dodge and take anticipation instead.

When it comes to barbarians and orc warriors, the crippling strikes + exec combo definitely makes an impact, but I ultimately felt like it wasn't worth the points when wide swathes of enemies aren't subject to the injury system at all. Honestly, I think it would be interesting if they changed at least some of that moving forward, letting the ancient dead suffer from broken bones and some sort of limb damage/removal for regular undead

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I wonder how grenades will work, and most importantly: how will they help me kill goblins dead?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

NewMars posted:

I wonder how grenades will work, and most importantly: how will they help me kill goblins dead?

What makes you think goblins won't get their own grenades?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Shhh! Keep quiet or the devs will hear your idea :tinfoil:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

Since I take nimble and steel brow too, I'm going to guess that I'm taking Dodge and overwhelm where you're taking crippling strikes and executioner. I pretty much never take Pathfinder since I stopped playing iron Man. My guys usually end up with student first, then bullseye, Dodge, bow/throwing mastery, overwhelm, footwork, nimble, killing frenzy and berserk. Sometimes if the ranged recruit has trash initiative base and stars, I skip Dodge and take anticipation instead.

When it comes to barbarians and orc warriors, the crippling strikes + exec combo definitely makes an impact, but I ultimately felt like it wasn't worth the points when wide swathes of enemies aren't subject to the injury system at all. Honestly, I think it would be interesting if they changed at least some of that moving forward, letting the ancient dead suffer from broken bones and some sort of limb damage/removal for regular undead

Yeah ok I never take dodge because back liners with nimble never take meaningful amounts of damage unless you gently caress up and they end up on the front line with nobody to rotate them out (in which case dodge wouldn’t have saved you). Dodge also gets much worse as the fight progresses. I also don’t take overwhelm because I don’t think the effect is worth wasting level up points on initiative.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m going to try it. I never put overwhelm on archers because I don’t want to waste stat points on initiative

Won't it just take effect on that units next turn, so you don't really need to go first if you're firing at basically any unit that isn't firing at you?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

Won't it just take effect on that units next turn, so you don't really need to go first if you're firing at basically any unit that isn't firing at you?

No. Overwhelm specifically only procs on enemies that are scheduled to take their turn after you in the current round, and it only lasts the one round.

Incidentally dodge is also poo poo because fatigue is deducted from initiative. When your Archers are building up fatigue rapidly by using 2-3 quick shots per turn it really doesn't make sense. You used to need every last bit of help you could get to keep archers alive but ever since they changed Nimble to a flat damage reduction all you really need is Nimble, steel brow and 70-75 hp.

In my current peasants run I'm just gonna have seperate tossers and archers, but If I were to play lone wolf I think I'd hybridise and cut crippling strikes/executioner for Nimble/throwing mastery.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, that's a bit weird. Thanks

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I always take overwhelm on archers, the vast majority of enemies will be going after your lightly armored nimble archers without ever having to level initiative.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Back Hack posted:

You have spoken a great evil into existence.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got the impression that executioner and crippling strikes aren't really worth it? Cant remember where I read it, annoyingly, but someone did the maths on how the additional damage of executioner generally breaks down and it was a pretty minimal amount if I'm right (I may not be right)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-124-new-lands/

quote:

An oft-requested feature for Battle Brothers is to portray any location that you’re fighting at, such as a graveyard or a brigand camp, also on the tactical combat map. Fighting Wiedergängers between fallen tombstones and not just on empty plains can add a lot to the atmosphere and flair to that tight battle that will decide the future of your company. We’re happy to announce that with the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC we’ll introduce a wealth of new location-based environments in combat to make possible just that.

:thatsrad:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

quote:

Even though the world is going to be larger, frequent auto-saves in ironman mode will actually become faster thanks to some parallelization.

Small part of that update but I'm really glad for this. That little hiccup that you get after leaving a town and the game autosaves still bugs me, hopefully this means it's smoothed out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hell yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

If this includes in-door battles in ruins or keeps, it's all I could ask for.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

If this includes in-door battles in ruins or keeps, it's all I could ask for.

The blog says there won't be indoor battles, but there can be things like palisades around brigand camps or ruined wall segments.

quote:

The combat system of Battle Brothers – one of its strongest features, as most of us will agree – was designed for small scale infantry combat on open or mostly open maps, and that’s where it works best. Having the odd fight in more enclosed environments, such as in forests, can shake things up every now and then in interesting ways, but doing this too much can also wear on a player’s patience. For example, the initiative system that works well in open field battles can become frustrating in tight quarters where 12 or more characters are constantly blocking each other. So with that in mind, let’s talk about how environments based on location are going to work.

Fighting brigands at their base camp will bring a dynamic to combat that is different from fighting them in the open field. That’s a good thing, because it adds more variety to combat in general, and because it adds another strategic dimension to the world map where you’ll now have to weigh the pros and cons of luring an opponent out of their base or fighting them at home. But while there’ll now be walls, palisades and gravestones shaping some of the maps, we also won’t turn every attack on a brigand camp into a siege, or a fight in a dense forest of tents and barrels. It’s not what the combat system was designed for, and consequently it just wouldn’t be fun. All combat will still take place outside, and most location-based objects are in fact cosmetic, meaning they’ll provide a flavorful backdrop and tell a story of where you’re fighting, but they won’t get in your way and won’t block your men from moving. On top of that we’ll be adding a smaller selection of objects which actually do block tiles to change the dynamic of combat in a controlled way. For example, a brigand camp may be surrounded by palisades to create chokepoints, but there’ll be also enough open space both outside and inside to have a proper battle.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
drat. Ah well, still hyped.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

No. Overwhelm specifically only procs on enemies that are scheduled to take their turn after you in the current round, and it only lasts the one round.

Incidentally dodge is also poo poo because fatigue is deducted from initiative. When your Archers are building up fatigue rapidly by using 2-3 quick shots per turn it really doesn't make sense. You used to need every last bit of help you could get to keep archers alive but ever since they changed Nimble to a flat damage reduction all you really need is Nimble, steel brow and 70-75 hp.

In my current peasants run I'm just gonna have seperate tossers and archers, but If I were to play lone wolf I think I'd hybridise and cut crippling strikes/executioner for Nimble/throwing mastery.

Duelist is also key for unlocking the throwing weapons true potential, but it's tricky to fit in and doesn't apply to the character shooting the bow. You raise some good points about dodge- to be honest, I take it as the last remnant of my ironman archer builds where I was taking anticipation, dodge, nimble and steel brow on EVERY ranged character because the risk of getting zoinked by a crossbow headshot eventually was too high. However, I've found enemy ranged characters simply stop targeting certain guys once they hit a certain ranged defense, and dodge lets me hit that threshold from like level 3 on for the first four or five rounds, typically with only one or two level ups in ranged defense. While you're correct that dodge loses effectiveness as the fight goes on, I'm running characters who are hitting 170+ initiative by the late game, which means dodge starts out by giving around 12 ranged and melee defense. Also, I find my archers are typically using aimed shots at the start of fights to hit the VIP targets like necromancers and shamans, where you need the additional tile of range. This is also slightly more fatigue efficient than spamming out quick shots.

All that being said, now that I'm a dirty savescummer, I can see how I could make do without it. It is nice having guys that consistently act first every round against most enemies, since initiative is typically a trash-tier stat for your melee bros. Overwhelm plays into that strength too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

vyelkin posted:

The blog says there won't be indoor battles, but there can be things like palisades around brigand camps or ruined wall segments.

This is ideal, actually. Sounds like they know forest battles are boring, unfun poo poo and want us to make choices without just restricting us the way forests do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
More chokepoints is only good, it's always loving amazing when you have one guy holding off a small army by himself

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Just beat the Kraken and yep I'm never doing that again. So drat boring and RNG dependent.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RabidWeasel posted:

More chokepoints is only good, it's always loving amazing when you have one guy holding off a small army by himself

Yeah i'm ok with this, i just always got annoyed that it was "take a perk so you could do normal fighty things and have that perk do nothing in 90% of battles". Sounds like they're avoiding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

Duelist is also key for unlocking the throwing weapons true potential, but it's tricky to fit in and doesn't apply to the character shooting the bow. You raise some good points about dodge- to be honest, I take it as the last remnant of my ironman archer builds where I was taking anticipation, dodge, nimble and steel brow on EVERY ranged character because the risk of getting zoinked by a crossbow headshot eventually was too high. However, I've found enemy ranged characters simply stop targeting certain guys once they hit a certain ranged defense, and dodge lets me hit that threshold from like level 3 on for the first four or five rounds, typically with only one or two level ups in ranged defense. While you're correct that dodge loses effectiveness as the fight goes on, I'm running characters who are hitting 170+ initiative by the late game, which means dodge starts out by giving around 12 ranged and melee defense. Also, I find my archers are typically using aimed shots at the start of fights to hit the VIP targets like necromancers and shamans, where you need the additional tile of range. This is also slightly more fatigue efficient than spamming out quick shots.

All that being said, now that I'm a dirty savescummer, I can see how I could make do without it. It is nice having guys that consistently act first every round against most enemies, since initiative is typically a trash-tier stat for your melee bros. Overwhelm plays into that strength too.

Yeah I forgot about that for a second. I'd need to decide if I want to run duelist or recover; I suppose in a lone wolf run you're only accepting the very best and I can just be more selective with fatigue.

With dodge and initiative - Archers mainly get hit by arrows and bolts. Between Nimble, steel brow, having 75 health, and the unhold fur cloak I give all my archers, I find even Overseer crossbow bolts barely make a dent in their health. (They wear sallet helmets and leather lamellar armor.) I literally don't care if archers fire at them, or if they get hit. I'd probably prefer the enemy archers shoot at them rather than scratch up the expensive armor on my front line guys. Arrows shrug off them. Worst case scenario they end up in melee range of an orc warrior because of that charge and they can still take a turn of damage comfortably. My archers have happily survived a couple of bites from a lindwurm. Polearmsmen get unhold plate instead. I just can't imagine wasting stat points on initiative and a perk. Think about what else you could have done with those stat points.

I generally don't use aimed shot outside of the early game unless i need to hit something that extra tile away; but even then I feel it's better to move 2 tiles and quick shot than to use aimed shot. I generally make my archers wait till the end of the round to take advantage of the enemy moving closer. With melee guys as well - I almost always let the enemy come to me and wait for them to move first. Goblin shamans I just ignore mostly - I think it's more efficient to just kill off the other goblins first - archers can take out 3 per turn once you get killing frenzy going; that also sets up a morale rout. It doesn't matter if they root you because the melee goblins just come to you, and the rest you can shoot with bows. Killing goblins is like swatting flies after a couple hundred days. I never hire an archer that can't hit 90 ranged attack by level 11; 3 out of my 4 are pushing 100 by around level 14-16 in my current run. One straggler is at 93. Even goblins I hit pretty reliably. I allocate stats to ranged attack and stamina every level up; then the third stat is health till I reach 75; resolve to 45, and then any leftover levels go into ranged defence.

I got lucky in this current run - I have a pair of what I call training bows. Goblin bows with +12 and +13% chance to hit respectively. Great for levelling new archers; and I swap my warbows out for them when fighting goblins, hexen and necromancers.