Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
My personal headcanon(a nerdier word there never was) is that the Romulans, who we already know experiment with artificial singularities, did something bad to their star inadvertently and it asploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

As someone who never liked TNG i must say that it was ok enough to make me watch the second episode and see how it uunfolds. I absolutely do not want sophisticated space-aristocrat Jean-Luc Picard but disgruntled, disillusioned old geezer Picard who brutally eviscerates a bloated Starfleet Moloch. A man can dream.

Also, if they reveal, that (Speculation) Dahj 's Name is some sort of derivate from "Data"+"Jean-Luc" i'm gonna puke!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The radius of the supernova (which, huh, it does look like severe radiation from supernovae actually does extend dozens of light-years?) perfectly matching the border of the empire is the dumbest part. It's a lot more interesting if a few Federation worlds are in the radius and the Federation decides to invest 100% of resources into those 2-4 planets and refuses to help out the dozens of Romulan planets!

That would have made a really interesting story. Or like, maybe lots and lots of Romulan refugees made it to those worlds pre-supernova and were turned away.

Admiral Bosch posted:

My personal headcanon(a nerdier word there never was) is that the Romulans, who we already know experiment with artificial singularities, did something bad to their star inadvertently and it asploded.

Basically a far larger Praxis.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sumo posted:

I'm 70 Virgins

The collective noun for that is "a star trek thread"

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I really hate the goddamn supernova and I wish they had just ignored it. It happened in another universe or some poo poo. That said at least they’re taking it seriously.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

bou posted:

As someone who never liked TNG i must say that it was ok enough to make me watch the second episode and see how it uunfolds. I absolutely do not want sophisticated space-aristocrat Jean-Luc Picard but disgruntled, disillusioned old geezer Picard who brutally eviscerates a bloated Starfleet Moloch. A man can dream.

Also, if they reveal, that (Speculation) Dahj 's Name is some sort of derivate from "Data"+"Jean-Luc" i'm gonna puke!

I thought it was simply a shortened 'Daughter' - Chabon did the same kind of distorted name thing with the Vedyrash short trek.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like a loooot of galactopolitical rivals to the United Federation of Planets have their homeworlds rendered uninhabitable by nearby celestial explosions :thunk: Might want to keep an eye on the old home star, THE BREEN

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I was really worried that we were going to see bitter, angry, hermit Picard, a la Luke Skywalker. It seemed like we were going down that path, but as soon as he started talking to Dahj I realized that TNG Picard was still here. They haven't seemed to change his character too bad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

Seems like a loooot of galactopolitical rivals to the United Federation of Planets have their homeworlds rendered uninhabitable by nearby celestial explosions :thunk: Might want to keep an eye on the old home star, THE BREEN

It's a Dominion go-to. Remember how Changling-Bashir tried to blow up Bajor's sun to kill DS9 and Bajor?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed the first episode a lot

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MichiganCubbie posted:

I was really worried that we were going to see bitter, angry, hermit Picard, a la Luke Skywalker. It seemed like we were going down that path, but as soon as he started talking to Dahj I realized that TNG Picard was still here. They haven't seemed to change his character too bad.

I don't even mind that he has that in him, but I'm glad that the storyline is starting at the transition where he breaks out of his funk and gets back to work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

It's a Dominion go-to. Remember how Changling-Bashir tried to blow up Bajor's sun to kill DS9 and Bajor?

Malcolm McDowell blew up a whole sun when he coulda just spent the rest of his life in a holodeck

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Less romulans more homomdans

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Malcolm McDowell blew up a whole sun when he coulda just spent the rest of his life in a holodeck

Honestly probably safer to just destroy whole star systems than risk a lifetime of holograms becoming sentient.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

And who had all the material that he was using to blow up stars? The Romulans. He stole it from them to build his torpedoes. They attacked the observatory where he was based because he and the Duras sisters attacked them first and stole their materials.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Horsebanger posted:

Juicy hot take
Starfleet was forever changed at Wolf 359. I think it is symbolized in DS9 perfectly that Starfleet has gone from a peaceful exploratory organization to a more bellicose stance, as the galaxy around it became more and more dangerous. This is represented best I feel in Improbably Cause/The Die is Cast, when Starfleet is unwilling and seemingly OK with the genocide of another civilization just because it is threatening. Indeed during the Klingon-Federation skirmishes and later, the Dominion War, the Federation demonstrates it is, unlike it's neighbors perceive, an adept, efficient and powerful military force.

Leading into ST: Picard, this seems to match what Jean-Luc thinks. The old Starfleet, even at the height of the Klingon-Federation cold War, was perfectly willing to ally with and engage the Klingon Empire in diplomacy, but still had its militarist elements that would reject peace. That darkness has always been within Starfleet, and won't be going away.

While on the subject of moving into Nemesis era/Post Dominion War, it's stated that the war took the most toll on the Klingons of all the allies, to the point where Section 31 says it would take decades before they would return to pre-war strength. This would seemingly leave the Romulans & Federation as the two remaining superpowers of the quadrant, and such a huge disaster as the supernova would have wiped out one of those superpowers overnight.

this is why it's insane that this is the first time someone has thought to use the 2380s/2390s as a Star Trek setting. There's so much there

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

stuart scott posted:

this is why it's insane that this is the first time someone has thought to use the 2380s/2390s as a Star Trek setting. There's so much there

But where’s SPOCK and horny Kirk? Beam me up, Scotty! That’s the Trek I remember

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The 60+ demo is definitely what you need to pump up a streaming service.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Horsebanger posted:

Juicy hot take
Starfleet was forever changed at Wolf 359. I think it is symbolized in DS9 perfectly that Starfleet has gone from a peaceful exploratory organization to a more bellicose stance, as the galaxy around it became more and more dangerous. This is represented best I feel in Improbably Cause/The Die is Cast, when Starfleet is unwilling and seemingly OK with the genocide of another civilization just because it is threatening. Indeed during the Klingon-Federation skirmishes and later, the Dominion War, the Federation demonstrates it is, unlike it's neighbors perceive, an adept, efficient and powerful military force.

Leading into ST: Picard, this seems to match what Jean-Luc thinks. The old Starfleet, even at the height of the Klingon-Federation cold War, was perfectly willing to ally with and engage the Klingon Empire in diplomacy, but still had its militarist elements that would reject peace. That darkness has always been within Starfleet, and won't be going away.

While on the subject of moving into Nemesis era/Post Dominion War, it's stated that the war took the most toll on the Klingons of all the allies, to the point where Section 31 says it would take decades before they would return to pre-war strength. This would seemingly leave the Romulans & Federation as the two remaining superpowers of the quadrant, and such a huge disaster as the supernova would have wiped out one of those superpowers overnight.

Now, the Federation has lost its primary shipyard, a colony within Sector 001, and the changing of the guard from peaceful exploration to splendid isolation has fully completed. I think the Romulans have infiltrated starfleet a bit more than they have in the past, and like in STO, they are trying to use borg technology to reclaim or get back to their old superpower status. If that is the case I'm looking forward to crazy ships like the Tal Shiar ships from STO :D

Overall, I quite enjoyed the opener, I'm with it till the end of the season, and it's just a pleasure to watch Sir Patrick back in the saddle again.

I didn't pick up on the 5 Q's on cards :O, or the Maddox/Lore connection.

Remember how Picard was even for it initially, but he knew better than to commit genocide? Then that bitch Admiral Necheyev scolded Picard for not being cool with revenge against people who violated him, which I think is more telling of human nature at its core. To me this resonates a lot better than late Roddenberry kumbaya hackery, because it isn't so preachy and rather shows me that it's okay to wrestle with morality and second guess doing the right thing. In the world we live in today we're in dire need of guidance from a man like Picard in a society that espouses tolerance but actually has some of the least tolerant people calling the shots.

This is a great show and I'm happy we can actually talk about human poo poo again instead of the usual rabble I've come to expect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ill give the Romulans this: D'deridex class warbirds are bad rear end

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

But where’s SPOCK and horny Kirk? Beam me up, Scotty! That’s the Trek I remember

What if... and bear with me here, this is going to get a little wild, Mister Spock (Mr. Star Track himself) is an epic badass who’s PISSED! Also it turns out he has a cool nephew or something.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I also want to say I like the new Romulan people.

Drunkboxer posted:

What if... and bear with me here, this is going to get a little wild, Mister Spock (Mr. Star Track himself) is an epic badass who’s PISSED! Also it turns out he has a cool nephew or something.

they already did "louder, angrier, and with access to a time machine" in 2009

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cojawfee posted:

The 60+ demo is definitely what you need to pump up a streaming service.

I mean if the showrunners are boomers...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Golden Gael posted:

I also want to say I like the new Romulan people.

I'm glad they no longer have to wear clothes made out of polyester Motel 6 bed spreads from the 80s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Captain Reginald Broccoli

Why are you like this

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm glad they no longer have to wear clothes made out of polyester Motel 6 bed spreads from the 80s

do you think those guys knew Nero

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The Golden Gael posted:

do you think those guys knew Nero

I know in the Countdown comics he was in possession of a ship built with Romulan/Borg tech by the remnants of the Tal Shiar, but I really like the idea that it's just a normal mining vessel and he's not special, just a captain of a crew of miners.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Hi Chris I'm Nero"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

"Hi Chris I'm Nero"

Legitimately a great line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HD DAD posted:

Legitimately a great line.

ST09 has a lot of charm.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
First episode of Picard was pretty neat.

- My stupid brain has a terrible gift for holding onto awful details because in the scene where the assassins showed up, I recognized the guns they were using as a Romulan design, and I was right!
- Dahj's "death" seemed a little odd to me. It's as if the stuff the Romulan spat on her (blood?) started eating her away like acid, paralyzing her so she couldn't move away from the overloading disruptor. I think she did have time to move otherwise. I'm also not sure she's really gone. "Didn't appear on the security footage" and "didn't find any remains" seems highly suspicious, especially given that the assassins are explicitly using highly accurate and fast transporter tech.
- So there's a tremendous explosion on the roof of the Starfleet Archive involving a celebrity and former admiral, and, apparently, no one from Starfleet Security felt inclined to ask Picard any questions?
- The necklace's design conveying such a specific meaning seemed a little strange - to me it just looked like two rings overlapping.
- The idea of being able to reconstitute an entire neural network from one positronic neuron was... questionable.
- The location at the ending was a little odd because it looked like a Borg Cube, but I didn't see any Borg. Was that explained in some other media I haven't seen?

Pinterest Mom posted:

The radius of the supernova (which, huh, it does look like severe radiation from supernovae actually does extend dozens of light-years?) perfectly matching the border of the empire is the dumbest part. It's a lot more interesting if a few Federation worlds are in the radius and the Federation decides to invest 100% of resources into those 2-4 planets and refuses to help out the dozens of Romulan planets!

Gamma ray radiation being deadly in a radius of many light-years is accurate, but the problem is that it moves at the speed of light, and they have ships which can travel much, much faster than light . So for the star at the center of that map to cause problems for Romulus and Remus, you'd have to believe that no one ever flew into a system past the visible light radius of the supernova, and just look how much of the map that thing takes up. Someone would have noticed it, if only because "why do all ships entering this expanding sphere vanish"?

So yes, just the home star going supernova unexpectedly would be sufficient, although it would probably have to be a suspicious nova for it to catch people off guard, since the approximate end-of-life date for stars is something we can ballpark now (and in the future, forecasting would no doubt be easier).

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
First episode was alright.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Sure, but evacuating one world with billions of beings on it is virtually impossible. Now you have a list of worlds, and a ticking countdown, and they bloody well know it. They're screaming for aid, there's riots in the streets, and meanwhile, at Starfleet, there's a boardroom full of admirals all looking at each other uneasily, nobody wanting to be the very first to say 'ya know, is this really such a bad thing?'

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheCenturion posted:

Sure, but evacuating one world with billions of beings on it is virtually impossible. Now you have a list of worlds, and a ticking countdown, and they bloody well know it. They're screaming for aid, there's riots in the streets, and meanwhile, at Starfleet, there's a boardroom full of admirals all looking at each other uneasily, nobody wanting to be the very first to say 'ya know, is this really such a bad thing?'

You know someone in that room probably raised the point that the last time an enemy’s homeworld was threatened by calamity they ended up with 80 years of peace as a result.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- The location at the ending was a little odd because it looked like a Borg Cube, but I didn't see any Borg. Was that explained in some other media I haven't seen?

Nope, it is a mystery so far

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

e: yeah what TheCenturion said

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Gamma ray radiation being deadly in a radius of many light-years is accurate, but the problem is that it moves at the speed of light, and they have ships which can travel much, much faster than light . So for the star at the center of that map to cause problems for Romulus and Remus, you'd have to believe that no one ever flew into a system past the visible light radius of the supernova, and just look how much of the map that thing takes up. Someone would have noticed it, if only because "why do all ships entering this expanding sphere vanish"?

So yes, just the home star going supernova unexpectedly would be sufficient, although it would probably have to be a suspicious nova for it to catch people off guard, since the approximate end-of-life date for stars is something we can ballpark now (and in the future, forecasting would no doubt be easier).

The fact that the supernova propagates at the speed of light is actually a really interesting thing to explore! If a planet of, say, seven billion people is told "radiation from the supernova is going to make your planet inhabitable in ten years", they have to evacuate two million people a day, every day, for ten years. For one planet!

As the circle expands, there are more and more planets a year affected, and it's just an impossible scale to work at. That's a problem demanding a civilization pour all its resources into it, and one that lasts for 20, 40, 50 years.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 24, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pinterest Mom posted:

As the circle expands, there are more and more planets a year affected, and it's just an impossible scale to work at. That's a problem demanding a civilization pour all its resources into it, and one that lasts for 20, 40, 50 years.

Yep. That mention of ten thousand evacuation ships sounds like a lot but it's not even close to sufficient for the scale of disaster they're dealing with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. That mention of ten thousand evacuation ships sounds like a lot but it's not even close to sufficient for the scale of disaster they're dealing with.

They used the ships they had and they were trying to save as many people as they could.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You know someone in that room probably raised the point that the last time an enemy’s homeworld was threatened by calamity they ended up with 80 years of peace as a result.

Letting your enemy be destroyed by a nearby ecological disaster? Baby that's Praxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Imagine all the ready room Starfleet command conversations we could have about the morality of violating the prime directive to evacuate a small primitive race from the supernova vs just leaving them to die because helping them would expose that there are advanced races in space.