Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Today in Broadcast History

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1219292500940161031

E: A great oral history on Sports Business Daily from a few years ago

Brian Burke posted:

I remember one of the first tests was in Boston. One of these pucks went into the crowd, we had to race over to them with some volunteer and say, “Here, we’ll give you another puck, and we’ll give you a T-shirt.” The first two or three guys were like, “F--- you. I’m keeping this puck.” I think we lost $1,200 in that first game. But the pucks worked. And most importantly, they didn’t come apart when they were slapped or hit the boards or goalpost. An average puck back then might have cost $1 to $2. The glowing pucks dropped to $14 to $15 per puck eventually.

lol

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Since Sinclair now owns the Fox RSNs, couldn't they just change the name to Marquee [region name here]?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

Since Sinclair now owns the Fox RSNs, couldn't they just change the name to Marquee [region name here]?

The Cubs are co-owners of Marquee and the logo is designed to be reminiscent of the Wrigley Field sign.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Island Nation posted:

i would think they're working on some sort of name change

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1219361183398092801

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anything to get Booger out of the booth.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Timby posted:

Anything to get Booger out of the booth.

And back into the booger mobile.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how romos revolutionary style is talk about the game with knowledge

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

euphronius posted:

uh uh uh uh er uh look, when you see what he's doing back there, that's what you want to do, you want your playmakers to make a play with the football, and that's what he does, joe.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

The rare and elite skill of knowing about and enjoying the sport you professionally talk about

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think insider knowledge of the game has a shelf life and after a few years of being away from the game you end up falling back into lazy and obvious analysis.

Like I’m not sure in 5 years Romo will have his finger on the pulse of NFL offenses the way he does now. So good for him for getting paid while he’s still good at this.

I will say though, despite his knowledge of NFL offenses being the thing I like about him the most, I’m sure a lot of people just flat out like his personality and goofy rear end demeanor.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The play prediction stuff got Romo lots of meme attention but I honestly think his most important asset is he clearly just really loves football and likes being there. Listening to a Nantz/Romo broadcast vs. a Nantz/Simms broadcast is loving insane, Nantz sounds so much more alive and engaged. Not being a huge dumbass obviously helps and I'm sure aspects of the game that Romo is most familiar with will shift over time but he's a huge breath of fresh air as a broadcast personality because he's one of like five national color commmentators/pundits across NA sports that clearly isn't just cashing checks and waiting for his next tee time

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Romo has a nice sarcastic sense of humor, and that is much different that most other color guys.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Nantz seemed almost sad when he was joking about having to go back to his golf voice next week.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Saucer Crab posted:

Nantz seemed almost sad when he was joking about having to go back to his golf voice next week.
He still has a stint with the March Madness tourney soon where he can show some life.
But yeah, Jim gets saddled with his stuffy soft spoken self for the early part of the PGA Tour no one really watches until The Masters when Jim gets to be cock of the walk again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Robnoxious posted:

He still has a stint with the March Madness tourney soon where he can show some life..

first time for everything I guess

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reminder that every year after the championship game Jim Nantz corners some unsuspecting senior from the winning team and forces them to accept his tie as a trophy, in the most Jim Nantz tradition possible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Reminder that every year after the championship game Jim Nantz corners some unsuspecting senior from the winning team and forces them to accept his tie as a trophy, in the most Jim Nantz tradition possible.

I go back and forth on wondering which is the whiter thing he's done. That, or watching a replay of one round of the masters and calling tour officials on a rules violation Tiger Woods made.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I go back and forth on wondering which is the whiter thing he's done. That, or watching a replay of one round of the masters and calling tour officials on a rules violation Tiger Woods made.

Jim Nantz is going to be the only person actually radicalized by the Rick Riley Trump book

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Jim Nantz is going to be the only person actually radicalized by the Rick Riley Trump book

lmao

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mahoning posted:

I think insider knowledge of the game has a shelf life and after a few years of being away from the game you end up falling back into lazy and obvious analysis.

Like I’m not sure in 5 years Romo will have his finger on the pulse of NFL offenses the way he does now. So good for him for getting paid while he’s still good at this.

I will say though, despite his knowledge of NFL offenses being the thing I like about him the most, I’m sure a lot of people just flat out like his personality and goofy rear end demeanor.

It's not hard to keep your finger on the Pulse of the league if you want.

The problem with most players who go into the booth is they tend to fall back on playing and what they did. And don't put in the work.

I don't get that same feeling from Romo. But yeah it's easy to become lazy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Von Erich family has an upcoming biopic

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Anyone who looks like Ted Cruz that much should be booed at all times

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WWE made a decent documentary on the family awhile back. Such a crazy and sad story.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

if no one knows this story, a man had 6 sons, 5 survived into adulthood and of those 5 all went into pro wrestling and 4 of them died before their father did

the son who died as a kid did in a freak electrocuti9n accident involving a puddle of water and he was the lucky one of the brothers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of them lost his foot and wrestled with a fake one and no one knew.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In Sports Non-broadcasting news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1221104246621450245

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I don't understand why concacaf doesn't just have the top 2 highest placing teams at the world cup go to the olympics like uefa does

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doctor Teeth posted:

I don't understand why concacaf doesn't just have the top 2 highest placing teams at the world cup go to the olympics like uefa does

CONCACAF

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edward Mass posted:

In Sports Non-broadcasting news:

https://twitter.com/Concacaf/status/1221107808076226560

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, it looks like Fox Sports picked it up.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1221533561322442753

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 26, 2020

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

You make a compelling point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Is there literally any cable package that has ESPN and not ESPN 2? It’s not a big deal.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thoughts and prayers for the wait staff of wherever Peter King is eating at tonight

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

soggybagel posted:

Is there literally any cable package that has ESPN and not ESPN 2? It’s not a big deal.

Listen buddy, pressing the channel up button one time is a huge pain in the rear end.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1221814668718673920

Also according to Grant Wahl, at least two other media companies passed on this package.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jessica Mendoza is being pulled from the Sunday Night Baseball crew

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sarah Spain channeling her inner Papi with the dad jokes on HQ tonight.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Six minutes of... Sassy Phil Simms?

https://twitter.com/jga41agher/status/1223040681360482305

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHY DO THEY DO A loving CUT WITH EVERY SENTENCE THIS IS ON A TON OF INTERNET VIDEO STUFF AND IT DRIVES ME INSANE