Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Since we switched from AWS to Azure for “strategic partnership” it amazes me what a poor state this cloud is in. AKS is a dumpster fire and their support is awful. What the gently caress Microsoft. We had a bug that the support fix from the devs was an undocumented preview command and some witchcraft that only a product team could reasonably figure out and they said they weren’t going to fix it because not enough customers are doing advanced deploys like we are. Uhhh what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Azure network security groups are terribly deficient. They're clearly meant to be 'application security group to application security group' based, which doesn't work at all for hybrid deployments.

Not to mention application security groups cannot be dynamically defined, or defined at all in the group itself. You have to assign the vm NIC to the ASG. So one of our admins can miss that step, get 0 network access, and blame me (and they do!).

There is no concept for an IP object like any modern firewall has. All IPs must be manually defined in every rule. Ranges are not allowed to overlap individual IPs (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.0/24 aren't allowed in the same destination of a rule) again, despite every modern firewall handling this without a problem. Our hybrid rules can have destinations with dozens of IPs and it's impossible to read or interpret.

I really hope AWS figured out microsegmentation better than this.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
poo poo pissing me off:

I work in QA at a small networking company. Our company is releasing a new product, and I've been assigned to test it.

It has a full suite of QoS features, which means I need to cram a complete understanding of QoS into my brain ASAP.

I just got my CCNA, and I was hoping I could lay off on studying for a few months.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Never mind

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We've got a machine that's been acting up for several months. I've requested for it to get repaired several times but it's really low on the priority list so it hasn't happened. I beat my head against it for several months and have done all I can do with it. Now in the new year the rare use case for that machine has popped up and suddenly it's been a priority to get it repaired. I've got vendor support and our internal guys working on it and slowly making progress.

This morning on the conference call SoO asked if I had been over to see if I could fix it (I'm in a separate physical location for the time being) and I said "No, I've done all I know to do with it. If I knew how to fix it I would have done it already."

He didn't respond to that and the call continued as usual but later my mole on the inside reported that he stormed out of the room after I said that.

Nothing like pissing off the ownership on a Friday wooo

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
poo poo pissing me off: that loving pervasive cynicism that too many IT people have. We were setting team OKRs for the year, and it was just awful. Where's your sense of vision!? Because the impression I got in that meeting was "I'm too busy to give a poo poo about setting objectives for the year". I don't know if he realizes just how negative an experience interacting with him is.

There's a reason I work well with everyone, and it's because getting my attention doesn't feel like pulling teeth.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My boss just walked by and said "YOU LOOK REALLY COZY BACK THERE."

I ignored him.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
New job. Everyone is friendly but this department is amateur hour. Management does not inspire confidence. Orientation has been a wet fart, no structure to anything so I've been just meandering along. An email just came from my boss stating I can't have an empty cubicle, and instead must desk-share in a cramped office. I am rapidly approaching "gently caress it" mode.

This is shaping up to be my shortest tenure at a job...

Dick Trauma posted:

I ignored him.

I would take your setup over this BS I'm dealing with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I ignored him.

No jury would convict.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I ignored him.

I bet your boss has a real office and would quit before being moved to a hallway.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dick Trauma posted:

I ignored him.

Does your server room have cameras or access controls? How long could you hide a body in there before it would be discovered, just you know, hypothetically?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's one of the coldest server rooms I've ever managed so it could probably slow down... spoilage... for a day or two.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At my first big ISP job we had a floor tile near one of the AC units that we snuck cans of sodas underneath, because it was closer than the cafeteria on the other side of the building.

It wasn't ice cold, but it was cold enough to enjoy.

No boss ever questioned why a tile puller was always sitting on the floor there.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Before my unfortunate "vacation" my entire team was relocated from one end of our building, where we each had our own office with a door and window, to a former lab with no windows, no interior blocking walls, and basically no way to separate ourselves. To make the best of the situation we all took a corner area and turned it into a workspace. Management promised us some cubicle walls at the beginning of the year, but since I've been on disability I haven't heard anything about it. I'm curious to see when I go back if we now have cubicles, or if they holding off until I return on Monday.

It was all kind of messed up in how the move was handled. The executive in charge of doing all the relocations was let go for some reason - we received strict instructions that we were to not discuss it with each other, or even mention his name. Naturally that worked out real well. Anyways, office moves ground to a halt. The reason for the moves was that there was a nice area in the building that was set up in accordance with NIST 170 (or 171, I forget) guidelines for a secure area. The infrastructure team had always been in this area, so we had all the nice offices and controlled all access. It was determined that a new team was going to be moved in and Infrastructure control removed, and some of the team relocated outside the area as they didn't have program access. Myself and one other co-worker would be permitted to stay as we both had the necessary clearances and were required as sysadmins for the various programs, but my co-worker and I both "noped" the gently caress out of that and said we preferred to remain with the rest of the team when they were relocated.

Co-worker and I both saw how every little loving issue would have had developers and managers crawling up our asses with that much easy access, and since Infrastructure's network access and control was going to be removed for the company's proprietary network to take over even the argument that we could still help with Infrastructure issues was total poo poo.

Anyways, the way moves normally get handled is that a ticket is created by a manager, executive signs off on it, facilities schedules it, then the workers show up with totes and carts and empty your office and move all your stuff to your new office. This would be only my second office move, but my first one was a disaster because I thought I'd be a nice guy and pack my stuff and move the minor things since it was literally a move from one side of the hall to the other, maybe 4 feet from door to door.This pissed off the facilities manager and all hell broke loose, so I was adamant the second time that I wanted an eviction notice before I did anything this time around.

Eviction notice came, but this time facilities showed up with 2 totes and a cart and told me I could pack and move my own poo poo as they didn't have the time or personnel. This was a week before Christmas, and in the process I managed to tweak my back moving my stuff. Normally I take a couple muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory and call it a day or two, but the problem never went away. I was already scheduled to take the week between Christmas and New Year's Day off, so I basically spent most of my time off laying in bed to try and let my back recover. Hell, even went to the doctor twice and all they did was give me even stronger medications. Since the pain wouldn't abate I had an x-ray of my spine done, which showed scoliosis of the lower lumbar spine and sciatica. Also a possible herniated disk. I'm pretty sure all that time laying down caused a pressure sore, which turned into an abscess right loving quick.

Honestly, I can't wait to get back to work and see what nightmare confronts me after being gone for a month. Pretty sure the location and positioning of my desk will be the least of my concerns.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

At my first big ISP job we had a floor tile near one of the AC units that we snuck cans of sodas underneath, because it was closer than the cafeteria on the other side of the building.

It wasn't ice cold, but it was cold enough to enjoy.

No boss ever questioned why a tile puller was always sitting on the floor there.

We had an employee who put a turkey for a potluck into the DC to stay cool. Other than a :wtc: said by the boss, nothing happened because they were a good employee with a lapse in judgement.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What was the lapse in judgment?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk posted:

Never mind

Lol

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

BadMedic posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I work in QA at a small networking company. Our company is releasing a new product, and I've been assigned to test it.

It has a full suite of QoS features, which means I need to cram a complete understanding of QoS into my brain ASAP.

I just got my CCNA, and I was hoping I could lay off on studying for a few months.

Looking back on this with a calmer mind, it's a big opportunity for career (and personal) growth. I was just upset about it being dumped on me out of nowhere, while I already have a full workload. Also I am nervous about loving It Up, because I will almost certainly miss things due to my limited starting knowledge.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I've got an incompetent coworker who after five years, management is finally starting to realize is incompetent. This normally has only been passively annoying, manifesting in what they can't or won't do, and occasionally cleaning up their messes when a ticket comes in as a result of a mistake they made.

Now that the jig is up though, Coworker seems to be attempting to overcompensate by trying to -look- like they know what they're doing, stepping on people much more capable than them, using words and phrases they don't understand, and "fixing" things they don't have a working knowledge of without considering the consequences of their actions. It's going about as well as you could expect from somebody putting all their blocks at the top of the tower instead of the foundation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is it a good idea to schedule movers, cubicle assemblers and contractors opening new doorways all for the same Saturday morning to work in the same space?

Asking for a friend.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it a good idea to schedule movers, cubicle assemblers and contractors opening new doorways all for the same Saturday morning to work in the same space?

Asking for a friend.

Slip them a twenty and get a door put up in your hallway.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Shut up Meg posted:

Just a door, unattached to any actual walls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shut up Meg posted:

Get a bookcase on hinges as a HIDDEN door :science:.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Just turn the cabinet you have there sideways

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
https://old.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/etr2is/network_pdu_tripplite_apc_roll_your_own/

I'm sure I saw this on here (Bob Morales I think?). Is this you or someone "karma farming".

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah those images are what Bob posted.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Rotate the big filing cabinet 90 degrees so people can' see you at your desk.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Shut up Meg posted:

Make sure it opens in towards you so some bastard can't drag furniture in front of it and trap you.

I ended up having to get facilities to put "keep clear" signage on our comms cupboard door because some prick kept putting spare bookcases in front of it - luckily never while anyone was inside, but still very irritating when you need access in a hurry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

greatapoc posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/etr2is/network_pdu_tripplite_apc_roll_your_own/

I'm sure I saw this on here (Bob Morales I think?). Is this you or someone "karma farming".

It's me

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I've had three different meetings with management about adjusting the volume of our stage presentation system, totaling 1.5 hours.

It's just a knob you turn.

For the love of God.

:negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Attestant posted:

I've had three different meetings with management about adjusting the volume of our stage presentation system, totaling 1.5 hours.

It's just a knob you turn.

For the love of God.

:negative:

Don't say anything, adjust the knob and claim it's always been at that setting.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
If they make me attend a fourth one I will just point directly at it and scream something unintelligible

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's a great idea. That way you can demonstrate how to operate the "volume knob" or whatever jargon you tech people use to describe it, and how you "turn" it. Perhaps dramatically turn the volume up and down while you scream, giving your voice a funny wailing effect in the process.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

That's a great idea. That way you can demonstrate how to operate the "volume knob" or whatever jargon you tech people use to describe it, and how you "turn" it. Perhaps dramatically turn the volume up and down while you scream, giving your voice a funny wailing effect in the process.

Please demonstrate with a live microphone. Speak loud and clear into it and demonstrate how turning the volume known down causes less sound in the speakers. Then gradually turn up until you get deafening feedback whine. Naturally you wear hearing protection during this, just make sure your audience does not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also, gamification, why does it work.
I wrote a fake rules sheet for a game of dishwasher and tacked it on the wall above. It assigns arbitrary positive and negative point values to placing your used mug in the dishwasher, leaving you dirty mug on the table above the dishwasher, picking up someone else's forgotten mug, starting the machine, etc., and since then I haven't seen any pile up of mugs since. Somehow the idea of getting worthless points changes behavior. (Of course nobody's counting, anyone should realize this thinking about it for just 10 seconds.)

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Iron Rose posted:

poo poo pissing me off: that loving pervasive cynicism that too many IT people have.
Oh poo poo, this has probably been creeping up on me lately.

Goddamn I'm bored... we recently managed to rescue our AWS accounts and seem to be up and running, however it was decided straight away to only grant access to senior and lead team members so that's been blown out of the water.
Now I'm no master of AWS but I've at least some experience/knowledge with it, but these dudes have literally never used it and it's like listening to nails on a chalkboard listening to them converse "So we need something called an elastic IP address, where do we get one and how do we buy one?"

Mostly I'm just grumpy because we just seem to have the simple hierarchy of; engineers get the work, senior engineers automatically get all the projects, plus we literally don't have any management to talk to about it and I'd rather not argue about this stuff in the middle of an open plan office.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

Also, gamification, why does it work.
I wrote a fake rules sheet for a game of dishwasher and tacked it on the wall above. It assigns arbitrary positive and negative point values to placing your used mug in the dishwasher, leaving you dirty mug on the table above the dishwasher, picking up someone else's forgotten mug, starting the machine, etc., and since then I haven't seen any pile up of mugs since. Somehow the idea of getting worthless points changes behavior. (Of course nobody's counting, anyone should realize this thinking about it for just 10 seconds.)

This sheet needs to be taken down and burned before your managers see it and they get ideas.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

First day in the office since christmas (been working night shifts), and that feeling of 'the fuckening' that I had this morning hit around 11am.

Of course they're going to mess with my night shift compensation. Time to :yotj:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Iron Rose posted:

poo poo pissing me off: that loving pervasive cynicism that too many IT people have.

Guilty.

My son called me “daddy grey” because of the grey in my beard and I realized with a shock that I’ve become the greybeard that I used to joke about.

At this point I’ve seen it all, from lift and shifts to OS migrations to RIFs and bungee managers, and I realize that it’s all bullshit and I really just want to be left alone to be allowed to make an impact in my corner of the world.

Of course I’m super discouraged because I [unsurprisingly- because the promo process where I work and at my level is utter poo poo] didn’t get the promo that I’ve been prepping for and obsessing about for the last four months. The common feedback was that my work is solid, but I didn’t do a good job of self-promotion.

I’m approaching a decision point again but I’m going to be mad and upset for a week or two first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Our helpdesk is pissing me off. They used to be so great! The best that I've ever worked with anywhere. They would do all of the groundwork and basic troubleshooting, and then some, and have everything documented in ticket notes before they'd hand it off.

Now I get tickets assigned to me that are basic helpdesk 101 poo poo, that takes me away from what I'm supposed to be doing. We always had great people working but the turnover has just been great lately. We lost 3 people to retirement and 1 to a job move. Thats 1/3 of our team.

We pay really well for helpdesk so hopefully we can get some new good people in, but it'll still take us months to get them fully up to speed even if they're good.