Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

The problem is the Senate as an institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Student loan forgiveness is going to be more divisive than Free College.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7923533/Moment-Iowa-dad-gets-heated-row-Elizabeth-Warren-student-loan-forgiveness-plan.html

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
In light of the new "birth tourism" restrictions, let me offer this sensible chuckle from... 2017?
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russians-flock-to-trump-properties-to-give-birth-to-us-citizens

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm a fan of the state buying up all student debt and then only taking it out of tax returns once you make over a certain threshold. If you never make over 100k a year then you never have to pay back your student loan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That Works posted:

Haven't seen much in the way of reliable / real numbers yet but yeah it could be the case.

Still, these kind of fears are irrational typically.

E: and I loathe the media circus drumming up unneeded panic as a result.

Oh absolutely - the fact that this virus was genome sequenced quite early after identification means that people who'd otherwise be treated as regular-rear end flu patients are being questioned about their travel and then being tested for confirmation which presumably makes the public affairs people more comfortable with reporting each case as it's identified.

On one hand, flu kills tens of thousands each year but that's out of tens of millions of cases. This is like what, 40-50 out of less than a thousand? Yes it's dangerous but no it's not sweeping the loving globe like an unstoppable tide of croupy death.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mlmp08 posted:

Was France also one of the many nations that would involuntarily commit people for being gay or “woman’s hysteria” and other similar supposed mental ailments? Cause that could also help explain it.

Nah, not that I'm aware, but I'm sure someone with a more thorough french history lesson than me could enlighten us.

I mean, early 20th century France doesn't seem like it would be an oppressive place for the time, except those obvious years of occupation. I suspect their looney bins were more full of good old fashioned lead and mercury riddled crazy people, dudes that lived through an earlier war and came back broken, that kind of thing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't the problem that the people that voted the Senators in that will acquit trump are still just going to keep voting for them anyways?

2020 isn't 2018. The Senate is very, very up for grabs and Republicans are playing a shitload of defense. There are a sizable amount of Trumpy senators suddenly running in blue/purple states, so it's all ammunition for the Democratic challengers.

Ernst (Iowa), Gardner (Colorado), Collins (Maine), McSally (Arizona), Tillis (North Carolina) are all up and you only need 3 + presidency to flip it. Four if Jones is (likely) cooked in Alabama.

Gardner's toast. Iowa's pissed about trade war poo poo and went almost completely blue in 2018, McSally looks to be a poo poo candidate, NC is purple-ish, Collins is suddenly unpopular for Kavanaugh and being squishy as gently caress. So, brand them with their acquittal votes as all of the poo poo keeps coming out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah, not that I'm aware, but I'm sure someone with a more thorough french history lesson than me could enlighten us.

I mean, early 20th century France doesn't seem like it would be an oppressive place for the time, except those obvious years of occupation. I suspect their looney bins were more full of good old fashioned lead and mercury riddled crazy people, dudes that lived through an earlier war and came back broken, that kind of thing.

*cough* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair *cough*

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

2020 isn't 2018. The Senate is very, very up for grabs and Republicans are playing a shitload of defense. There are a sizable amount of Trumpy senators suddenly running in blue/purple states, so it's all ammunition for the Democratic challengers.

Ernst (Iowa), Gardner (Colorado), Collins (Maine), McSally (Arizona), Tillis (North Carolina) are all up and you only need 3 + presidency to flip it. Four if Jones is (likely) cooked in Alabama.

Gardner's toast. Iowa's pissed about trade war poo poo and went almost completely blue in 2018, McSally looks to be a poo poo candidate, NC is purple-ish, Collins is suddenly unpopular for Kavanaugh and being squishy as gently caress. So, brand them with their acquittal votes as all of the poo poo keeps coming out.

I'll believe it when I see it. In 2016 you guys elected donald loving truno so don't be surprised I think this.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

FAUXTON posted:

Oh absolutely - the fact that this virus was genome sequenced quite early after identification means that people who'd otherwise be treated as regular-rear end flu patients are being questioned about their travel and then being tested for confirmation which presumably makes the public affairs people more comfortable with reporting each case as it's identified.

On one hand, flu kills tens of thousands each year but that's out of tens of millions of cases. This is like what, 40-50 out of less than a thousand? Yes it's dangerous but no it's not sweeping the loving globe like an unstoppable tide of croupy death.

It's not sweeping the loving globe like an unstoppable tide of croupy death yet.

Edit: Early 20th century France was a nation owned and operated by white nationalist colonialists just like everywhere else in Europe. By today's standards they were pretty poo poo w/r/t human and civil rights

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 24, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't remember what podcast I heard it in, probably a Robert Evans one, about when war broke out in France, they emptied the looney hospitals into the streets, and several of them actually got along fine in the chaos, better than expected.

Crazy times make crazy people feel normal, or something to that effect.

It was an episode of It Could Happen Here so you were right about the Robert Evans part

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Rogan's endorsement will only further alienate the Dems like my sister who hate Rogan (and also said 'the squad' was being too liberal after saying we need women of color in politics) who incidentally re-soured on Bernie when they found out they, as a professional making six figures, won't have their grad school debt forgiven

So basically gently caress anyone who thinks this can't be used for some good grabbing voters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Rogan's endorsement will only further alienate the Dems like my sister who hate Rogan (and also said 'the squad' was being too liberal after saying we need women of color in politics) who incidentally re-soured on Bernie when they found out they, as a professional making six figures, won't have their grad school debt forgiven

So basically gently caress anyone who thinks this can't be used for some good grabbing voters.

When did bernie change his plans, I thought all student loan debt was being forgiven, not up to $50k like Warren's.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. In 2016 you guys elected donald loving trump so don't be surprised I think this.

Very fair!

But they've spent every minute since huffing their own farts and not even bothering trying to expand their reach, which led to a 2018 blowout (and a quirk in Senate election scheduling kept that Republican).

And they're still huffing those farts.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1220775900003946496?s=19

By the way, the Rogan poo poo won't matter. The asshead has a big enough audience that anyone Bernie loses will be gained, so it's all a wash.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

When did bernie change his plans, I thought all student loan debt was being forgiven, not up to $50k like Warren's.

He didn't. People like my sister are reactionary FYGM folks looking for any way to feel like they're morally superior while others suffer

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I paid off my student loans in like four years, my wife had none because her parents paid for her in full.

So I look forward to my father-in-law complaining about this while telling me I'm stupid because I'm not joining the FYGM club despite having no student loan debt.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My student loans are about to be wiped clean because I'm now 100% by the VA.

You too can erase them, you just have to be disabled for life. Bing bong, so simple.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lmao

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1220785065648480256?s=19

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That reminds me I need to file for an increase because they decided having panic attacks triggered by DLI flashbacks wasn't a disability the first time I applied

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

maffew buildings posted:

I mean gently caress your sister if she wont vote Bernie just because someone she dislikes also supports him.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

She'll vote whoever the Dems put out there, she's one of those folks who tells Californians who vote third party they're wasting their vote if they don't vote Dem because blah blah blah gently caress how democracy actually works. I just threw this story out because there is unfortunately not an insignificant amount of brain geniuses who think this way. They seem to be overwhelmingly young white professionals in my experience. Go figure.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/revealed-the-true-identity-of-the-leader-of-americas-neo-nazi-terror-group

quote:

The Guardian has learned the true identity of the leader and founder of the US-based neo-Nazi terror network the Base, which was recently the target of raids by the FBI after an investigation into domestic terrorism uncovered their plans to start a race war.

Members of the group stand accused of federal hate crimes, murder plots and firearms offenses, and have harbored international fugitives in recent months.

The Base’s leader previously operated under the aliases “Norman Spear” and “Roman Wolf”. Members of the network do not know his true identity due to the group’s culture of internal secrecy.

But the Guardian can reveal that “Norman Spear” is in fact US-born Rinaldo Nazzaro, 46, who has a long history of advertising his services as an intelligence, military and security contractor. He has claimed, under his alias, to have served in Russia and Afghanistan.

The revelation of his identity comes after a months-long investigation by the Guardian into Nazzaro and the activities of the Base.

While Nazzaro’s most recently used address is in New Jersey, there is evidence supporting his claims of being based in Russia, where he lives with his Russian wife.

The Base – which is an approximate English translation of “al-Qaida” – began recruiting in late 2018. The white supremacy group, which has regional and international cells, extols the virtues of an all-out race war while specifically targeting African Americans and Jewish people.

Using encrypted apps, members of the highly organized group planned terror campaigns; vandalized synagogues; established armed training camps and recruited new members.

The US attorney for Maryland, Robert K Hur, speaking after the recent arrest of three members of the Base, said that they “did more than talk – they took steps to act and act violently on their racist views”.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51236915

quote:

The American founder of US-based militant neo-Nazi group The Base is directing the organisation from Russia, a BBC investigation has found.

Rinaldo Nazzaro, 46, who uses the aliases "Norman Spear" and "Roman Wolf", left New York for St Petersburg less than two years ago.

The Base is a major counter terrorism focus for the FBI.

Seven alleged members were charged this month with various offences, including conspiracy to commit murder.
Paramilitary training

Court documents prepared by the FBI describe The Base as a "racially motivated violent extremist group" that "seeks to accelerate the downfall of the United States government, incite a race war, and establish a white ethno-state".

The group - founded around July 2018 - gains followers online, communicates using encrypted messaging applications, and encourages members to engage in paramilitary training.

The leader's real identity had long been a mystery.

However, multiple images and videos of Nazzaro - taken over several years in both the USA and Russia - show the man known to be The Base founder, who goes by the two aliases.

He has previously used photographs of himself when promoting the group online

Last year Nazzaro was listed as a guest at a Russian government security exhibition in Moscow, which "focused on the demonstration of the results of state policy and achievements".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That...jesus. That's a lot to process.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol of course US nazis would be a Russian plan.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thank you, that was an interesting read. And my american public school dropout education definitely didn't cover more than Napoleon and the Revolution.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit: Early 20th century France was a nation owned and operated by white nationalist colonialists just like everywhere else in Europe. By today's standards they were pretty poo poo w/r/t human and civil rights

I was thinking more compared to other nations at the time, France was one of the more liberal. Obviously compared to today, it holds no water.

Vasudus posted:

My student loans are about to be wiped clean because I'm now 100% by the VA.

You too can erase them, you just have to be disabled for life. Bing bong, so simple.

I made the army pay my student loans when I went in with SLRP, but neglected to pay enough attention to the fact that they didn't cover interest. Two years ago the government vacuumed up my tax return and called it good, not one letter or notice or anything since. Still could've really used the tax return that year, but one less problem.

I need to stop sitting on my balls and get a VA appointment, see the psychiatrist again, and a GP to get my thyroid checked out. Been having a light bit of tightness in my throat below my adams apple. Throw in constant anger issues and the past year or so of ridiculous metabolism, and that's at least something to check out. loving hate calling and going to the VA though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

One would think Russians have the most reason of anyone to hate Nazis. Seems weird that there are Nazi groups originating from there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Whole lotta white people in Russia. Can't say I'm surprised at all. Also lots of anti-lgbtq and minority hatred. And now Putin is pretty much god-king of Russia, so it won't improve.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That guy has the dorkiest fuckin aliases.

So with these outbreaks like corona, sars, bird or swine flu etc, eventually one of them is gonna be devastating right? Human population can't just continue to increase exponentially, theres gotta be like, a critical mass or something right? One of you smarts explain this to me pls.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hekk posted:

One would think Russians have the most reason of anyone to hate Nazis. Seems weird that there are Nazi groups originating from there.

Unless this guy is on the take.

Helps Russia a lot for the USA to have nazi trouble

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

Unless this guy is on the take.

Helps Russia a lot for the USA to have nazi trouble

yeah i mean 'foment discord' is like number 1 in espionage tactics

divide and conquer those bitches

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That guy has the dorkiest fuckin aliases.

So with these outbreaks like corona, sars, bird or swine flu etc, eventually one of them is gonna be devastating right? Human population can't just continue to increase exponentially, theres gotta be like, a critical mass or something right? One of you smarts explain this to me pls.

Millions dying to an outbreak is pretty regular and will inevitably happen again (the 1918 flu and AIDS were both 20th century pandemics). I think the jury is out on whether there could be a pandemic that actually changes the slope of human population growth like the black death. AIDS did that in a bunch of countries, but none with what you would really call a modern medical system.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Flus are always gonna gently caress us up because they're viruses and more prone to change. They're always going to kill the weak, old and infirm, but sometimes healthy people.

Saw something about scientists discovering some viruses in ice somewhere remote that have never been cataloged or identified. Pretty recent, if I find a link I'll put it up.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hekk posted:

It's not Fascism if Russians do it.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/16/ivan-ilyin-putins-philosopher-of-russian-fascism/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Uhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1220806449959489536

Really hoping this is out of context or a hoax or something because if not then :stare:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Uhhhhhh

Really hoping this is out of context or a hoax or something because if not then :stare:

deleted

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Uhhhhhh

Gone already, what was it?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Uhhhhhh

Deleted. Much like my posting speed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It was a video of someone walking down a hospital corridor in full PPE and you can see what appear to be several people wrapped in sheets lying on chairs and such. Unclear if they’re dead or not.

The fact that it was deleted so quickly suggests maybe it’s a fake or someone reported it for being graphic (it really wasn’t but whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Uhhhhhh

Whatever it was, it's gone