Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This made me think back to watching people cast Dead Ringers in flashback drafts and I let out a hearty chuckle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Oh no, my Phantasmal Image!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pre:
rear end             Trophy

Instant

f            a   a        a     ar          t

A power vacuum for the Azorius. A keepsake
for Vraska.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

As someone who's favorite card ever is Vindicate. I am at the same time incensed and enamored.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It should probably cost 1 less and be instant speed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1220754147596738560?s=21

Everybody is playing with Gary. He is strong, and handsome, and dead... and he is my friend.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1220754147596738560?s=21

Everybody is playing with Gary. He is strong, and handsome, and dead... and he is my friend.

Gary is cool, and good, but for the life of me, I have not gotten the deck to work.

Once again, Dance Manse Revolution rises from the ashes with that list posted above, and it feels very very well situated for the current format. The new sagas help out the deck a ton, and Birth of Meletis t2 + Teferi T3 is backbreaking for most aggro decks, as it gives you the breathing room necessary to start setting up the woodchipper that is Doom Foretold. I'm very happy with the deck in a format where I've been aimlessly bouncing around a bunch of decks.

(then something like cat oven or other recursion based deck will become a t1 deck, and this will have to slink back into dust :negative:)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Gary is my homie. He has saved my stupid rear end countless times and won me even more games. He is the best.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The black deck works like this: You get cat or knight on turn 1 and become an aggro deck, and then at some point you get an oven, a midnight reaper, and Ayara and start draining them for 2 and drawing a card per oven after they find blockers and try to stabilize. If they clear your board, you've drawn half your deck so you just play the exact same board state again.

Or sometimes you start attacking, but can't go full aggro, because they put down a good midrange creature. So you sit back, them not wanting to leave themselves open by attacking, and then you play Gary and drain them for half their life, and then a nightmare shepherd and finish them.

and sometimes you just end up with a 5/6 knight that they just never dealt with and you win without them doing basically anything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't even run catoven. It's just black aggro/midrange with the main wincon being Gary. Nightmare Shepherd lets me just kill my own Garys over and over ftw. It's loving hilarious.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think there's going to be two close but different black devotion builds, one that's faster with catoven and one that's slower with strider and shepherd and the like. both use gary as their finisher, it's just that one gameplan is flooding the board early, hoping for no boardwipes, and dropping gary on t5 or 6 to hopefully kill & the other stalls with slow drains early without overcommitting and then plays gary and then sacs it to recur with shepherd. I dunno which one is going to be better and I definitely don't think decklists are refined enough to really go either way yet

(and honestly you can probably just sideboard into one from the other, but I think the opening gameplan is important still to be different)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I run Woe Strider over Oven and don’t think cat is good in this meta going forward. Cutting cat and just going in with Agonizing Demise feels so good.

It’s a monoblack DEVOTION deck and the only devotion payoff in the deck is Gary. Tymmy’s butt doesn’t really count as a payoff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I run 3 Drag to the Underworld. It's good.

Also 2 Libations because making people sac their gods is awesome.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think catoven is still going to be fine, it's just a lot less free with so much incidental graveyard hate in the set and probably should stick to a build with red in it for mayhem devil, even if it's just a splash

that reminds me, though: has anyone else been toying with cling to dust in their black decks?

I think it's been slept on but it ends up being pretty useful in practice as primarily a draw spell that fucks over escape and cat in a pinch while helping stabilize

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Woe Strider and Citadels good as heck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I agree. Citadel + Woe Strider means you really just cannot lose.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’ve just been playing Rakdos Knights and cleaning up. Turns out people trying to durdle around ramping or endlessly cycle tiny chump blockers just eat poo poo to embercleave on turn 3 or 4

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

StabMasterArson posted:

Way too slow, way too much stuff to keep track of on each card now since everything is an enchantment, constellation is boring and slow, 90% of cards just seem bad in comparison with the rest of Standard, nothing fits with our standard decks because the new cards are way too specific, devotion is boring and slow, and so on and on. Our first game we played 4 player free for all and it took 2 loving hours +.
lol the problem here is trying to do 4-player games, that's going to be slow as poo poo in almost any format.

I mean it enables Heroic

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’ve just been playing Rakdos Knights and cleaning up. Turns out people trying to durdle around ramping or endlessly cycle tiny chump blockers just eat poo poo to embercleave on turn 3 or 4

You stick anything new in it?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kjermzs posted:

You stick anything new in it?

absolutely not

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This is so stupid but I can't stop laughing

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

absolutely not

I’ll have to take it back out for a spin until ranked draft hits. I spent a successful week prior grinding the standard event queue until the set dropped.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Drafted tonight, ended up in UB control splashing Dream Trawler (pack 2 pick 3, tried to hard pivot into white but white dried up up fast pack 2 and was nonexistent pack 3 - had 3 unknown shores, a plains, and a lot of scry/draw). Easily won each game I cast it, what a bullshit card. Format seems really grindy. Black and green both seem pretty deep, red seems kinda bad as a primary color. Would paper draft again

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've been doing well in Arena using a Cavalcade variant that runs nothing >3 CMC and abuses the land fixer by only having 16 mana. Decks are generally pretty slow and there being a viable aggro variant has breathed so much life into things so it's no longer all mid-range all the time.

Some of the new Theros based decks are neat though. Black devotion variants seem like a less annoying/tedious version of Cat Oven because it kills you much faster, Dance Mance is a neat stax variant, white is actually playable thanks to Daxos and there's a fun Selesnya deck that just sticks a million auras on dudes and makes them hexproof so you've got base 1/3s that are suddenly absurd 10/13 hexproof, lifelink, trample, vigilance atomic bombs.

This is much better than things were for most of Eldraine. Also got my box in paper and will be drafting with my buddies next month.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hellsau posted:

or how about they don't print unbeatable limited bombs at rare that have nearly no constructed applications

Well it turns out Dream Trawler is busted in Standard because this Standard format is very weird. It has both extremely powerful cards, but the overall format feels weak, and the mana is atrocious for both three-color non-green decks and two-color aggressive decks. Leads to a whole lotta mono-color aggressive decks that fold to a turn 4 Trawler, and a bunch of durdly non-green control decks that die to turn 3 Nissa because they're behind a turn or two because of their manabase coming in tapped.

oh also three mana teferi should never have been printed

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Really enjoying this draft format, loads of great games. Pity they can't upshift or ban dream trawler as it's super dumb, I just played two matches in a row against it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I don't think it makes much of a difference whether Dream Trawler shows up at 1/121 or 2/121. Elspeth Saga is worse in my opinion because it has absolutely no counterplay except for countering the spell outright. Dream Trawler is absolutely busted but at least it really only goes in one deck and you can beat it with a Lyre or Libation.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 25, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't think it makes much of a difference whether Dream Trawler shows up at 1/121 or 2/121. Elspeth Saga is worse in my opinion because it has absolutely no counterplay except for countering the spell outright. Dream Trawler is absolutely busted but at least it really only goes in one deck and you can beat it with a Lyre or Libation.

Libation, sure. But it shuts off lyre with its discard ability.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

berenzen posted:

Libation, sure. But it shuts off lyre with its discard ability.

You plan to ... discard a card every turn and tap down your own guy, just so your opponent doesn't get to tap it down?

Let us know how that works out for you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

axeil posted:

I've been doing well in Arena using a Cavalcade variant that runs nothing >3 CMC and abuses the land fixer by only having 16 mana. Decks are generally pretty slow and there being a viable aggro variant has breathed so much life into things so it's no longer all mid-range all the time.

This deck is an Arena meme, this is not a "viable aggro" deck, it's a manipulation of the Bo1 mana-smoothing algorithm. The deck works fine in B01, and is an effective and inexpensive way to grind daily wins, but it's not a real deck because the main mechanic by which it functions is basically considered 'cheating' in paper.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It works fine in paper as long as you mana weave beforehand.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Well it turns out Dream Trawler is busted in Standard because this Standard format is very weird. It has both extremely powerful cards, but the overall format feels weak, and the mana is atrocious for both three-color non-green decks and two-color aggressive decks. Leads to a whole lotta mono-color aggressive decks that fold to a turn 4 Trawler, and a bunch of durdly non-green control decks that die to turn 3 Nissa because they're behind a turn or two because of their manabase coming in tapped.

oh also three mana teferi should never have been printed
I think it's just a good card? You're getting a lot of upside over Baneslayer Angel for just one more mana.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

I think catoven is still going to be fine, it's just a lot less free with so much incidental graveyard hate in the set and probably should stick to a build with red in it for mayhem devil, even if it's just a splash

that reminds me, though: has anyone else been toying with cling to dust in their black decks?

I think it's been slept on but it ends up being pretty useful in practice as primarily a draw spell that fucks over escape and cat in a pinch while helping stabilize

So you respond to the food sac to bring the cat back with this, right? Otherwise they respond with a food sac and get the cat back.

Hmm if they have more than one food this really isn't very good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having a Tymaret on board is a better anti graveyard proposal

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

This deck is an Arena meme, this is not a "viable aggro" deck, it's a manipulation of the Bo1 mana-smoothing algorithm. The deck works fine in B01, and is an effective and inexpensive way to grind daily wins, but it's not a real deck because the main mechanic by which it functions is basically considered 'cheating' in paper.

Bust Rodd

Cavalcade is fine in paper Standard because regardless of the outcome of game 1, competent players will crush it post board.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went 1-2 in draft last night with RB sac outlets. Just could not get my lands to loving show up in reasonable amounts in two matches; I either got 2 lands or 12. The matches I did get appropriate lands amounts were loving amazing, including beating Dream Trawler with Staggering Insight attached. Portent of Betrayal on his Kunoros to steal his only blocker and swing in for 13 was extremely fun, as was saccing my blocked creatures to Slaughter-Priest to pump it and Blood Aspirant for exactsies. My prize pack had an Ugin the Ineffable and a Shadowspear in it, so that was nice.

Traded a Sai, Master Thopterist for a Doom Whisperer, and Leyline of the Void+Murderous Rider+Rankle for a Scarab God. I feel better about my trades than I did about my matches.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Bust Rodd

Cavalcade is fine in paper Standard because regardless of the outcome of game 1, competent players will crush it post board.

I think (hope) he’s trying to say that that version with 16 lands is not viable without draw smoothing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I skillfully opened a foil showcase erebos for my pack 1 pick 1 last night and then was able to draft an almost monoblack deck. Crushed my first two matches, won a tight third match

I actually don't remember the last time I played magic outside of random edh games, it might have been the WAR PTQ I spiked on 0 reps

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Look Around You posted:

I think (hope) he’s trying to say that that version with 16 lands is not viable without draw smoothing.

Yeah, Cavalcade is a real deck for sure, but anyone claiming their 16 land/24 1-drop RDW is a mastahpiece is just blowing smoke

https://twitter.com/nickvaldeezy/status/1220436542491107329?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Hey bust rodd I'm trying out manaless dredge for the first time in anger tomorrow at a competitive level event. Can't wait to feel massively disappointed in myself for missing a million triggers. I went all in on the balustrade spy plan.