Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Could I get a screenshot of:
- a cloaked figure in on top of the owl cave map (Ep. 26, 15 minutes in)
- a cloaked figure in on top of the moon (Ep. 26, before the last scene), please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
whoa I don’t remember those shots at all

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I want to know where that meme of "rabid weasels that attach themselves to your face" came from and was apparently everywhere in the 90s

Alien (1979)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

whoa I don't remember those shots at all

Yeah, I was surprised, as well. They look pretty rad, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My From Z to A boxset is being delivered today!!!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm not sure why, but "NOT YET ANDY SPIT IT OUT! :argh:" absolutely cracked me up :allears:

I always forget about Earle descending into full-on Adam West Batman villainry, but I really dig everything else going on around it. Catherine's analysis of Josie's character seems fairly accurate and also surprisingly sympathetic, even if it is undercut by the fact SHE was one of the people who exploited Josie. I like the way the various stories are all streamlining into each other, hell even Mike and Bobby ended up back together as a duo again for I think the first time since early season 1?

Gordon Cole kissing Shelley (twice!) in front of Bobby is the best. Less good is Bobby snapping at Shelley to do as he tells her and that he is in charge, it makes him seem far too much like Leo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'd say Catherine drove Josie to her death (she handed her the gun, anyway), but maybe that's just an extension of the exploitation. Let's also not forget that Catherine immediately profits from her sympathetic portrayal by getting Harry to look at the puzzle box.

Yeah, Bobby definitely feels a bit like the old Leo, at times. I don't think it's unrealistic for Shelly to just end up with the same type of rear end in a top hat boyfriend. Bobby doesn't seem the type, though. Unlike Leo, we've seen him actually be very emotional and caring when his tough guy facade slips.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
What?
https://www.netflix.com/title/81226955

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
UPDATE: According to The Playlist's Kevin Jagernauth, What Did Jack Do? is a few years old (The short premiered in Paris in 2017, and later screened at the NYC Festival of Disruption). So maybe this isn't the beginning of a long and fruitful partnership between Lynch and Netflix. Or maybe it is! We don't know! But here's hoping this is the start of something bigger. I mean, after all, Netflix does have billions to spend on original programming this year.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That short absolutely made my morning. What a goofy, delightful thing.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nice surprise, saw this at Festival of Disruption when they screened this and I'm glad it's finally out in the world

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hey, so I searched "David Lynch" on Netflix to watch the short and Twin Peaks seasons 1 & 2 are totally on there. They weren't for a long time I think, but they're on there now, so if you want to watch the last few episodes of season 2 with us, they're on Netflix!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/1219421350156218368?s=21

God this thing is so nice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The certificate is a nice touch :)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The coasters of Lumpy Space Princess, Marceline the Vampire Queen, Finn the Human, and Jake the Dog are an odd inclusion in that box set.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

The coasters of Lumpy Space Princess, Marceline the Vampire Queen, Finn the Human, and Jake the Dog are an odd inclusion in that box set.

Please don't question David Lynch's genius :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah, but the DualShock makes it pretty great value.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

Please don't question David Lynch's genius :colbert:

You know what would be amazing? If you did those Sopranos style write-ups for The Return. ;)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Raxivace posted:

That short absolutely made my morning. What a goofy, delightful thing.

I did not know anything going in and unloved it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

You know what would be amazing? If you did those Sopranos style write-ups for The Return. ;)

It's gonna be a busy year but I was thinking about potentially doing this for the whole run later in the year, since the more general rewatch would be over by that point. Season 2 would be rough but as a teaser here's my entire write-up for S03E08:

Jerusalem posted:

What the fuccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkk :stwoon:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Question for the experts here:

I have a friend that I think would enjoy Twin Peaks but has not seen any of it. He is an avid reader so I was thinking about lending him the Secret History to read first to get him interested. It's been a while since I read it and my geriatric brain can't remember if there are any major spoilers in the book that would ruin watching the show from beginning to end.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I think it would be kind of boring if you weren’t already into twin peaks. Secret diary of Laura Palmer’s a better book which I don’t think have any major spoilers and would work great as a prequel to the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Flyinglemur posted:

Question for the experts here:

I have a friend that I think would enjoy Twin Peaks but has not seen any of it. He is an avid reader so I was thinking about lending him the Secret History to read first to get him interested. It's been a while since I read it and my geriatric brain can't remember if there are any major spoilers in the book that would ruin watching the show from beginning to end.
IIRC it's more of an afterword to season 2 that spoils what happens in seasons 1 and 2, so if he's just planning on watching The Return, it'd be fine (albeit confusing if he's not already familiar with the characters), but if he's aiming to watch from the very beginning then it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'm sure we could recommend some books with a Twin Peaks vibe. I don't think the official books necessarily serve that purpose, though. They kind of lack the lynchian element.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

absolutely zero reason to read the books if you havent watched the show. theyre a supplement not a substitute

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Not as a substitute, just thought that the book would get him interested into watching, that's all. Everyone calm down, I will suggest the typical order of enjoyment. Which is to say he's going to watch it on HIS loving PHONE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

Which is to say he's going to watch it on HIS loving PHONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kudj5vwgGqE

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just watch the pilot haha it's perfect

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Obviously I don't expect the monkey movie to make perfect sense but I really didn't get why Toototaban was there or why it was conclusive evidence that Jack killed Max...what the hell?!!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Nail Rat posted:

Obviously I don't expect the monkey movie to make perfect sense but I really didn't get why Toototaban was there or why it was conclusive evidence that Jack killed Max...what the hell?!!

It was about stereotypes and dancing!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
It's just random monkey cheese, but because it was done by David Lynch we have to fawn over how brilliant it is.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Merkinman posted:

It's just random monkey cheese, but because it was done by David Lynch we have to fawn over how brilliant it is.

Agreed. Imagine gushingly praising any old poo poo that some "renowned" director puts out despite it being obviously loving terrible to any normal human being. Lynch is one of the greatest carnies of all time and everyone unironically enjoying this complete shite is an utter loving rube.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 24, 2020

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Art is good, sorry.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lmao, What Did Jack Do is just a cute little comedy short. lynch likes doing silly little things sometimes. its not supposed to be profound and it certainly doesn't deserve any of that vitriol. It's funny and the monkey looks beautiful with that mouth

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

lmao, What Did Jack Do is just a cute little comedy short. lynch likes doing silly little things sometimes. its not supposed to be profound and it certainly doesn't deserve any of that vitriol. It's funny and the monkey looks beautiful with that mouth

'Funny' as in: laughably lovely like all of the SFX in this short film as Lynch tries to spend as little as possible so he can pocket the rest for his retirement.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/music/david-lynch-jack-cruz-true-loves-flame/

hahahahaha this is such a troll

“just in time for the Grammys”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imagine getting mad at this silly little monkey short

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Tbf, the single pretty much sounds like Lynch's other musical output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkZa8kwzWg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of the hardest times I ever laughed in my life was when my friend and I listened to his song “Good Day Today” for the first time while completely stoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

😂