Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

There have been some problems, but nothing on the scale of e.g. the d&d rapist endorsement, and nothing that goes specifically to the game designer. Delays in delivering on kickstarter content is one (but everything is actually being delivered, just... late... in the case of some of the final conan supplements, years late) and they quietly employed (but credited under the pseudonym "Michael Brophy") that perennial joke Gareth "far west" Skarka to work on the star trek project because someone was friends with him. Apparently he did what he was asked for and was not a major contributor, but it was shady to try and sneak him a bone given a significant fraction of the customers would have boycotted the product if they'd known, on the reasonable basis that Skarka is a thief who shouldn't be given more chances and people who give him more chances are part of the problem of enabling thieves to operate in the TG industry.

My take when I've asked about this earlier is that the SA TG community has not reached a point of outright cancellation of modiphius, but they have been issued a yellow card and need to be careful. They've handled some things badly, but have generally apologized afterward and are still turning out legitimately good products and mostly the company is good people.

e. I feel like adding, apropos of the last few pages' discussion, that Modiphius also disclaimed Howard's racism and sexism in a fairly mature way and have made a game that extracts the good bits and explicitly leaves behind the awful stuff. Howard was way less of a racist than his pen-pal Lovecraft (with whom he carried out a long-time debate via correspondence mostly over the nature of humanity, civilization, and savagery, which is really interesting to read and talk about if people want) but he was still a white dude writing from rural oil-town Texas in the 1930s for a white male audience, so yeah there's a fair bit of bigotry baked into his stuff.
That's all good to know to begin with, thanks. I don't want to come across like I'm dismissing the political issues surrounding our hobby, and I hope you'll not take this the wrong way, but I was really kind of gunning for "are their existing games any good, do they support the vibes of the specific fiction they're emulating" etc. rather than "what's their standing in our corner of social media". Conan and the 2d20 system sound interesting from your earlier post, I'll be keeping an eye on this (well it's Dishonored, I was gonna anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you can't stand that format (and I don't blame you) the tl;dr is that Lovecraft has such a naive, constricted, and paranoid concept of the unknown that half the time, just honestly assessing yourself leads to the conclusion that you're part of the huge terrifying outside universe looking in on him, and that's not scary, it's just pitiful

Having a fun time imagining what Lovecraft would make of goons tbh

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's all good to know to begin with, thanks. I don't want to come across like I'm dismissing the political issues surrounding our hobby, and I hope you'll not take this the wrong way, but I was really kind of gunning for "are their existing games any good, do they support the vibes of the specific fiction they're emulating" etc. rather than "what's their standing in our corner of social media". Conan and the 2d20 system sound interesting from your earlier post, I'll be keeping an eye on this (well it's Dishonored, I was gonna anyway).

Having read but not played it, Star Trek Adventures looks amazing for genre emulation. Definitely the first Star Trek branded RPG that is actually trying to create an episode rather than "simulate the reality" silliness. There's too many mechanics to talk about that tie into it, but the game basically mechanically encourages you to have normal away missions, examine things and ask questions constantly, builds on teamwork and multi-part solutions to the problem of the weak, act nonviolently and fight in self-defense, and has its own "simulate the scientific method" complex check subsystem. Also has great support for switching to guest characters or temporary crew when your main character is busy in a scene.

And the Operations splatbook has the most vital star trek table:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ettin posted:

Having a fun time imagining what Lovecraft would make of goons tbh

quote:

But Carter preferred to look at them than at his captors, which were indeed shocking and uncouth black things with smooth, oily, whale-like surfaces, unpleasant horns that curved inward toward each other, bat wings whose beating made no sound, ugly prehensile paws, and barbed tails that lashed needlessly and disquietingly. And worst of all, they never spoke or laughed, and never smiled because they had no faces at all to smile with, but only a suggestive blankness where a face ought to be. All they ever did was clutch and fly and shitpost; that was the way of the Night Crew.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Pieces of Peace posted:

The capitalisation of four out of a hundred entries for no apparent reason hurts.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tuxedo that is :perfect:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

I only played the beta but star trek adventures was great genre emulation. Everyone had a tricorder. The mechanical effects of having a tricorder were "You have a tricorder, you can tricorder at things". The standard partial success was "you succeed but break/lose/rip parts out of your tricorder". The mechanical effect of not having a tricorder was "now you can't tricorder at things".

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

I've got a new itch bundle/sale on! It's my Last Quarter Moon Sale (covering the time between the last quarter moon and new moon, every moon phase cycle). Normally it's just for Over the Moon, my 2-player PbP dating comedy-horror game, but this time it also includes From Sea to Shining Sea, my GMless game of sci-fi gonzo journalistic trips on the dark side of the moon! They're 25% off individually ($3.75 and $7.50 respectively), or 33% off in the $10 bundle.

FStSS also got a hell of a review for the Sandy Pug Game Awards:

https://twitter.com/AdiraSlattery/status/1217843001621450756

The sale will end on the new moon, so approximately a week from now.
Last 12 hours or so to get either or both of these games on sale!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The capitalisation of four out of a hundred entries for no apparent reason hurts.

I had the exact same reaction.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny that he wrote some well-regarded regional fiction, but he'll only be remembered as the bad, scummy mythos author.

CoC unfortunately reflects too much of Derleth's take, because it was easy. He gave Lovecraft's creations the Deities & Demigods treatment, organizing them into a pantheon with most gods having a "servitor race," decades before D&D was a thing.
It feels like that's truer of older editions than newer, though, or at least it's certainly downplayed a lot. It helps that generally speaking it seems to have become accepted best practice to have any particular scenario focus on one particular entity or related group of entities, rather than trying to fit the entire span of the Mythos into your campaign, which means that a lot of the Derlethian superstructure simply never becomes relevant in any meaningful way.

CoC's categorisation of major entities into "Great Old Ones" vs. "Outer Gods" I will actually defend on the grounds that Lovecraft used the term "Old One" to mean something slightly different in more or less every story he used the term, and there's definitely a divide between stories where the major entities are weird but basically materialistic aliens and stories where they're more abstract cosmic phenomena, which that division does quite a good job of underscoring.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I Imagine Hastur's play would end up like the play in Synechdoche where it consumes the lives of everybody involved for years and constructs plays within plays that are forever rehearsed but never actually performed
Jacques Rivette's Out 1 is a bit of a commitment to watch (it's a 13 hour movie, though it's divided into episodes so really you can treat it like a TV series and it arguably works much better in that form) but I am reminded of how the plot in that revolves around these two art groups constantly workshopping two different Greek plays and how that seems to be a front for secret society shenanigans.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hastur is incredibly frustrated that humans don't have the will/organs/magic to complete his play, that's why he keeps trying. He's just a catty Broadway director.

"No, no, no, what is this? You're not supposed to have your head explode until Lady Yquotha comes on! Ugh, someone get me a new lead."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The real tragedy of Weird Fiction is that Arthur Machen and C. L. Moore aren't household names.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, that all sounds pretty promising for the Dishonored game! Kinda wondering now how they're gonna swing it into a group-based one, but I'm sure that's the least problem.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hostile V posted:

I just want to second "if you want to do indie cosmic horror poo poo" please for the love of God just get Silent Legions and play with some random roll tables. It's great and you can interpret your rolls to see how they make sense and build a whole thing out of that.
I've been doing it for fun. I was extremely skeptical of translating CoC into an OSR system, because WHY? But this is Kevin Crawford we're talking about.

(One thing I do think some of his games need is to collapse STR and CON together. STR as D&D defines it just isn't very useful in a lot of genres that aren't Megadungeon-style D&D. Hell, combining STR and CON is practically a little flag letting you know the designer is competent, nowadays.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

(One thing I do think some of his games need is to collapse STR and CON together. STR as D&D defines it just isn't very useful in a lot of genres that aren't Megadungeon-style D&D. Hell, combining STR and CON is practically a little flag letting you know the designer is competent, nowadays.)
Infinitely same

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

combining STR and CON into one stat is miserable centrism that shows you're smart enough to know that ability scores are broken but too cowardly to destroy them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Left-Wing Narrativism: An Infantile Disorder

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Left-Wing Narrativism: An Infantile Disorder

new thread title

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that’s just peanuts to space."

"iaaa! iaaaaaaaa! iaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

combining STR and CON into one stat is miserable centrism that shows you're smart enough to know that ability scores are broken but too cowardly to destroy them
DTAS is a truism for D&D due to all the other aspects of the system, but ability scores have their place in other games. The trick is working out what ability scores are right for your system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

DTAS is a truism for D&D due to all its replacements, but ability scores have their place in other systems. The trick is working out what ability scores are right for your system.

To be slightly more serious for a second, ability scores represent two things:

- One is basically just traits / proficiencies; it's a narrative description of who your character is / what they can do that's invoked into the mechanical layer of the game to make you more or less likely to succeed at something. This is totally fine, but it's not really what I'm talking about when I say DTAS.

- The other is almost purely mechanical: it's a way to force the player into a set of exclusive, branching build choices that overlap with but are not identical to class. Feat prerequisites, secondary ability scores, that sort of thing. This is where I'm a hardliner; there is absolutely no reason to use derived math to accomplish this. All it does is obscure the decision you're making with unnecessary complexity.

(The math is necessary for the previous point, but the only reason it's used for this part is because designers overloaded the concept.)

e: Unless abilities scores are extremely fluid, it also means you have to plan these decisions in advance. This doesn't bother me much, I love planning builds out, but there's no reason to cater to me here because the choice doesn't have to be exclusive at all! Give me a system where there's no punishment for making those decisions on the fly, and I can just... do them in advance anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 24, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be slightly more serious for a second, ability scores represent two things:

- One is basically just traits / proficiencies; it's a narrative description of who your character is / what they can do that's invoked into the mechanical layer of the game to make you more or less likely to succeed at something. This is totally fine, but it's not really what I'm talking about when I say DTAS.

- The other is almost purely mechanical: it's a way to force the player into a set of exclusive, branching build choices that overlap with but are not identical to class. Feat prerequisites, secondary ability scores, that sort of thing. This is where I'm a hardliner; there is absolutely no reason to use derived math to accomplish this. All it does is obscure the decision you're making with unnecessary complexity.

(The math is necessary for the previous point, but the only reason it's used for this part is because designers overloaded the concept.)

e: Unless abilities scores are extremely fluid, it also means you have to plan these decisions in advance. This doesn't bother me much, I love planning builds out, but there's no reason to cater to me here because the choice doesn't have to be exclusive at all! Give me a system where there's no punishment for making those decisions on the fly, and I can just... do them in advance anyways.
We're pretty much in agreement. With the first one though, even if you are doing everything else right you can still screw it up by using unsuitable ability scores, and the situations where splitting str and con is actually appropriate are very few and very far between.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Splicer posted:

DTAS is a truism for D&D due to all the other aspects of the system, but ability scores have their place in other games. The trick is working out what ability scores are right for your system.

Ability scores work well in games where the ability score is your broad basis of competence in a large array of tasks. Like the Cardinal system going 'you have a d12 in Mind, you get one of the biggest dice and even if you have no other training or edges, there's a chance you could roll a 12 and win at basically anything Mind related because this is your wheelhouse' is fine, because it's a dicepool system where you take the highest and so having any d12s is a big deal. So that remains significant no matter how many other abilities you stack on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pieces of Peace posted:

Having read but not played it, Star Trek Adventures looks amazing for genre emulation. Definitely the first Star Trek branded RPG that is actually trying to create an episode rather than "simulate the reality" silliness. There's too many mechanics to talk about that tie into it, but the game basically mechanically encourages you to have normal away missions, examine things and ask questions constantly, builds on teamwork and multi-part solutions to the problem of the weak, act nonviolently and fight in self-defense, and has its own "simulate the scientific method" complex check subsystem. Also has great support for switching to guest characters or temporary crew when your main character is busy in a scene.

That sounds super rad.

I can see a lot of roleplaying discussions around the prime directive, lol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I dislike the D&D idea of ability scores where you generate them, then derive a set of values from each, then derive the numbers you actually use playing the game from those. My ability scores in D&D should be Fortitude, Reflex and Will and flow directly into any attacks, defenses and skills there are. Probably rename them to be a bit more broadly applicable, but as far as mechanics are concerned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

That sounds super rad.

I can see a lot of roleplaying discussions around the prime directive, lol.

my last STA game had like half of the time spent with us debating if the prime directive allows us to do the mission at all. It was very trek and good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dislike the D&D idea of ability scores where you generate them, then derive a set of values from each, then derive the numbers you actually use playing the game from those. My ability scores in D&D should be Fortitude, Reflex and Will and flow directly into any attacks, defenses and skills there are. Probably rename them to be a bit more broadly applicable, but as far as mechanics are concerned.
D&D should have no ability scores. You've got races, classes, archetypes, skills, backgrounds, and feats to say how strong, agile, tough, smart, wise, or charismatic your guy is. All the scores do is get in the way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think DTAS is a particular problem for games in the D&D genre, where combat is frequent and there's a ton of derived stats that all plug into combat.

Like, using 3e and 4e as an example: you end up having to patch on whole subclasses with unique abilities, just to let someone play a simple concept like a smart fighter. Or you end up with weird-seeming situations like Divine classes that have the Religion skill but aren't any good at it.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 24, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Or you end up with weird-seeming situations like Divine classes that have the Religion skill but aren't any good at it.

this isn't as weird as you might think :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Splicer posted:

D&D should have no ability scores. You've got races, classes, archetypes, skills, backgrounds, and feats to say how strong, agile, tough, smart, wise, or charismatic your guy is. All the scores do is get in the way.

So all elven rangers are created equal? Not sure I like that.

On the other hand, D&D stats need redesigning and rebalancing for sure. Fewer would be good too. But I think no stats at all is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I would go the other way, do away with races and backgrounds but still have some simple stats. Your race should just be part of your backstory and roleplaying, like we discussed a long time back in this thread, racial stats has issues a plenty.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
While it's more complicated than this, the newest edition of Savage Worlds mostly uses Attributes for resistances, while Skills are used for actions. And while skills and attributes aren't totally separate, their link is a lot more tenuous than it is in most RPGs. A guy without great Agility can be a fantastic shot ... it just takes a few more character resources to get there.

On the other side of the coin, it has Strength as its own stat. SW is multi-genre, and this makes a lot more sense for a fantasy setting than a modern one. (It tries to make it less bad by giving strength minimums for better weapons, but still.) Also, there's the backwards compatibility issue, so it's got some 20-year-old baggage as a result.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're doing point-buy, they basically are created equal already - or close enough for the differences to be irrelevant. This is the DTAS argument in a nutshell.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
DTAS allows you to play your melf any which way you want and still be effective in game. What's more, it's folly to think that ability scores are the only way to differentiate between characters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zaphod42 posted:

All eleven rangers with the Outlander background who took the acrobatics, stealth, and animal handling skills, the dueling fighting style, the Humanoids favoured enemy, and the Horizon Walker archetype would be created equal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

All eleven rangers with the Outlander background who took the acrobatics, stealth, and animal handling skills, the dueling fighting style, the Humanoids favoured enemy, and the Horizon Walker archetype would be created equal.

Okay that's fair

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

My Lovely Horse posted:

2d20 is quite solid. It's a favorite of mine in the crunchier spectrum, though it isn't as refined there (Infinity, etc.). Conan is good. STA is amazingly well-structured in the areas of genre-emulation, but it's a little too light for me (though again, that is solid for emulating genre).

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Do you not know the difference between Quantum and quantum? Surely you understand the distinction between Osmotic and osmotic.

Right?

Pieces of Peace posted:

If you can find a copy of it somewhere, the Adventurer's Guide to Eberron was released in 3.5 but is purely a "visual guide" with no stats that just talks about the locations, nations, and major players of the setting. Very good, probably the only Eberron book I should hold onto.

The recently-released Eberronicon isn't a great primer, but is a fantastic system-less reference.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
While we're on the 2d20 subject, has anyone here played Mutant Chronicles 3e? I got it and a bunch of splatbooks in a bundle and it looks interesting to run, but I get the impression it's trying pretty hard to straddle sci-fi horror with kicking down doors with a big machine gun and shoulderpads.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There's a part of me that does like random generation in character creation, but I am a firm believer that it needs to be for non-essential stuff. Or alternatively, if you're going more OD&D where most of the game is combat, most ability scores have no effect on combat, and there's an intentional churning of PCs in killer dungeons, which allows the strong to rise to the top. In a more character-driven game (either mechanically or narratively), it just doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Splicer posted:

It isn't even just that the scores get in the way, it's that in D&D, most of the 'choices' you can make are a choice between 'be useful' or 'be bad'. Many characters get nothing out of their stats beyond a minor edge case bump to a skill they won't be able to raise to useful levels anyway, and so to maintain the illusion that it's cool to play a Fighter with good Charisma or something, you maintain the ability to put points into stats that will make you bad at everything you're supposed to do.

This is because D&D's design is very constrained by the need to specialize but the desire to pretend you don't have to.