Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Got a reply from GTOmega. The first shifter mount was correct in that one comes with the kit (so it's not clear why they sell the same thing as an accessory).

E: quote is not reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

a mysterious cloak posted:

When I start the game, I start it from Steam, and then there's a selection box to pick (IIRC) standard PC mode, Steam VR, or Oculus VR mode. I always launch from Oculus mode.

If that's what you're talking about, anyway.

That is what I was talking about. Thanks!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dirt Rally 2.0 is on sale for 70% off on steam right now.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well goddamnit, my T500RS upshift just died on me. Looks like some guy was selling some replacement parts for it but seems to have completely closed up shop so guess I'm boned and going to have to get a new wheel.

edit: And of course I had just bought ACC earlier in the night but hadn't installed it yet.

real_scud fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 24, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Take the shifter body apart on the wheel. My T300RS had upshift problems as well. Some CA glue and a zip tie and it’s been good for like a year now. No issues. Can’t even see the fix as it’s under a cover

E: wait, the t500 has the stationary shifters, no? I’d imagine you could still take it apart and investigate it. Can’t hurt

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IIRC, it also supports shifters on the wheel with the F1 rim for example.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thrustmaster F1 wheel is amazing by the way.

The shifter paddles are one solid chunk of aluminum that pivots in the middle. That means you can push the paddles too, and downshift with the right and up shift with the left.

It’s great for shifting while adjusting the wheels buttons and knobs, or shifting while scratching an itch, or shifting while adjusting your VR HMD.

I love it so much I run it on completely inappropriate cars.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The shifter paddles are one solid chunk of aluminum that pivots in the middle. That means you can push the paddles too, and downshift with the right and up shift with the left.

That's something I actually dislike with something like the Fanatec formula wheels. The typical (of course it depends on the driver, but let's assume the norm) paddle shifters on these wheels can both be pulled and pushed...these things have been known for years as a "Schaltwippe" in german (I tried to find a fitting translation, I always get "rocker switch" but I assume there's a better translation). So you can upshift/downshift on both sides by either pushing or pulling, and the Thrustmaster F1 wheel pulled this off very well.

I have seen in on the Fanatec McLaren wheel, but shifting on that is a topic on it's own. It's been discontinued anyway, and returns in regard to shifting problems seem to be exchanged for the new F1 wheel instead of an actually working McLaren rim.

I haven't sat in my simpit in a lot of months, but actually started again couple of days ago, finally spending more time with the rim I got for birthday last year, and I really miss the opportunty to up- and downshift on the same paddle.

The strange thing is that my two current real life cars have a similar thing. On one, I can up- and downshift on both paddles, but it's the same on both (push => gear down, pull => gear up....for both...wtf????) and the other has it correct as in "pull right" for gear up, "pull left" for gear down...but no push. It's basically the same car, same hardware, but instead of fixing the software (making left paddle push/pull the opposite of right paddle push/pull), they decided to take away this feature and make it restricted.

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 25, 2020

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

tuo posted:

On one, I can up- and downshift on both paddles, but it's the same on both (push => gear down, pull => gear up....for both...wtf????)

I need to know what car has this hosed up arrangement.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, and why do you have two of them lol

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tuo posted:

these things have been known for years as a "Schaltwippe" in german (I tried to find a fitting translation, I always get "rocker switch" but I assume there's a better translation).

Rocker switch is a good description of it, since a rocker switch is a switch that can be pressed in both directions (and typically would perform different functions), but returns to the center neutral position. That sounds like what you're describing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Smirk posted:

I need to know what car has this hosed up arrangement.

BMW. Basically all of the non-facelift/LCI 5-series/X5/X6/3-series from the E65, E70, E90 era. Even my E93 M3 had it. You have this:

you can push with your thumb or whatever on the silver part, which is a downshift (both left and right!), or you can pull on the paddle to make an upshift (both left and right).

I can't find a decent pic of the back of the wheel to explain it better, and I'm to lazy to get out into the cold at the moment.

They replaced this stupid poo poo on all cars with the facelift/LCI versions, and I also modded some cars to use the new "correct way of shift paddles" for some cars. It's bonkers how someone came up with that idea.

e:

maybe this shows it better. Each paddle is basically a paddle like you would think it is, but also has this thing that goes over the prong which you can push with your thumb. And both paddles - left and right - work exactly the same. Push with thumb => down, pull => up.

BTW: you can easily change it with an ODB coder, as the code for the correct way is already inside the firmware, but yeah....someone thought this is good

ee: they also replaced it with a big "+" and "-" on the paddles of the facelift versions, to resocialize BMW-people with the real world

(hard to see, the little things on the top left and right corners of the paddle)

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 25, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My 1er has paddles and the right side goes up and the left side goes down.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

My 1er has paddles and the right side goes up and the left side goes down.

Yeah, that's the current version, which makes sense. Not first iteration of BMW-shift paddles, where they thought they have to reinvent them ;)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
But then my car also has a DCT and not an automatic.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

They also had the stupid-shifters in the first DCT-transmissions, like the E90 M3s etc. But I guess this is going off-topic.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

tuo posted:

IIRC, it also supports shifters on the wheel with the F1 rim for example.
I didn't know that at all, and now realize that the F1 wheel looks pretty loving dope and isn't an insane amount of money, so looks like I might pick that up since I got my T500 for free I'd rather not spend a boatload just to get another decent wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I picked my F1 wheel up for $60 on eBay. They’re out there cheap.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

real_scud posted:

I didn't know that at all, and now realize that the F1 wheel looks pretty loving dope and isn't an insane amount of money, so looks like I might pick that up since I got my T500 for free I'd rather not spend a boatload just to get another decent wheel.

I had a lot of fun with mine and modded the hell out of it (adding shift lights, rotary switches etc.). It's good rim, imo!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

tuo posted:

Yeah, that's the current version, which makes sense. Not first iteration of BMW-shift paddles, where they thought they have to reinvent them ;)

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's how the paddles in Formula 1 cars work. That system was probably developed while BMW was still racing in F1, so it makes a certain amount of sense that they maybe have just basically copied their own F1 setup.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The pull to up shift, push to downshift was also in WRC before they disallowed it (it was a ring that floated behind the wheel instead of paddles) and made all sequential shifters use a center console mounted lever.

My old automatic RX8 had paddles like that too, as did many of the BMW produced minis.

Cojawfee posted:

Still an automatic. Own it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Q_res posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's how the paddles in Formula 1 cars work. That system was probably developed while BMW was still racing in F1, so it makes a certain amount of sense that they maybe have just basically copied their own F1 setup.

Paddles in F1 are right/left for ups/downs I believe, but they were a push/pull system when the semi-auto gearboxes first came in so it still tracks with that just being what BMW designed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

The pull to up shift, push to downshift was also in WRC before they disallowed it (it was a ring that floated behind the wheel instead of paddles) and made all sequential shifters use a center console mounted lever.

My old automatic RX8 had paddles like that too, as did many of the BMW produced minis.

An automatic has planetary gears and a torque converter, my dude.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Q_res posted:

There is no way to tell how the paddles in an F1 car work because it's up to the driver.

There is the basic paddle shifter how most cars work: pull right to shift up, pull left to shift down. As soon as you connect the to, you can do both. Like push on the right to shift down, and pull on the right do shift up. That's what's the norm with cars (and which BMW completely changed, and no one liked, so they changed it pretty quickly to the norm).

In regard to how the actual F1 car works, that's totally up to the driver. Some have the connected paddles, some don't. But in every car I ever had the pleasure to sit in or drive which had paddle shifters, right was up, left was down, and only race setups had connected paddles to do the opposite on each paddle (pull / push).

The only car that had it totally mixed up was the BMW era I mentioned, and which they got rid off within the shortest time possible.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The podium shifter module has a hand clutch and two paddles on each side and the shifter paddles all work independently so you can set it up however you like if you prefer one handed shifting or two. It's not exactly cheap though

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I heard they finally managed to make it work like it should? (one lever max beeing the clutch bite point, the other beeing the full clutch travel, the former overruling the later)?

I check it out the first time they said it was like that, but it wasn't, and kinda lost interest in their explenations why it wasn't how it should work, but would be soon. Is it good now?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I don't use the dual clutch at the moment for any of the cars I drive regularly so I've not actually tried it out, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it works on the podium.

On the macca rim you held one clutch at the max traction/bite point and pulled the other in then drop the second one at the green light so you get instant bite point

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NtotheTC posted:

I don't use the dual clutch at the moment for any of the cars I drive regularly so I've not actually tried it out, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it works on the podium.

On the macca rim you held one clutch at the max traction/bite point and pulled the other in then drop the second one at the green light so you get instant bite point

Yeah but you have to find the bite point first and hold it there manually instead of being able to just set it.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but you have to find the bite point first and hold it there manually instead of being able to just set it.

Ahh I'm with you, yeah the macca rim definitely doesn't work that way right now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

I’d argue a sequential gearbox is not automatic in any conventional sense. If you want to argue that they are then you also need to argue that all motorcycles are automatic as well

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

An automatic has planetary gears and a torque converter, my dude.
If it can clutch and shift on its own, it's an automatic, regardless of how it does it internally.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’d argue a sequential gearbox is not automatic in any conventional sense. If you want to argue that they are then you also need to argue that all motorcycles are automatic as well

Weren't talking about sequential though.

They were talking about planetary and DCT, both of which ARE automatic, along with SVT. All types of auto.

Sequential is different if you have a clutch.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I thought there were semi-auto and semi-manual types, too, leaving automatic for planetary gears and torque converter, semi-manual for DCT, and semi-auto for ... not sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Powers posted:

I thought there were semi-auto and semi-manual types, too, leaving automatic for planetary gears and torque converter, semi-manual for DCT, and semi-auto for ... not sure.

At the end of the day its all semantics so just a question of how pedantic you are.

But to me, clutch means manual.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

At the end of the day its all semantics so just a question of how pedantic you are.

But to me, clutch means manual.

So, clutch means manual, unless there are two clutches, then it's an automatic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

So, clutch means manual, unless there are two clutches, then it's an automatic.

... human operated clutch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

... human operated clutch.

But what about the dual clutches that need a human to get going from a stop but then just use ignition cuts to shift after that?

It’s splitting hairs and pedantic but there is definitely a blurry line between auto and manual in 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

People will literally rage and say if theres no clutch pedal its not a manual. Which then gets weird in racecars for sequential cars with clutch pedals that most people dont clutch to shift in (like Aussie Supercars).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The same people claim that, after a while, shifting in a manual becomes an automatic thing that they don't have to think about. It's only a manual if you have to to consciously think about what gear to select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

That was the first implementation which made totally no sense whatsoever. A lot of people pointed that out to them, and they actually changed it, it seems (I also missed it, but just found out). You can set it up now how it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au5IAe2WdxI