Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

if anything i think they should have made jeritza only romanceable by mbyleth, itd fit him

:hmmyes: those supports are astounding and absolutely do not have the same vibe for Jeritza and FByleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

ultimately id say that poaching should have been limited to like two students before the game put a hard cap on it

Eh, I think it's best to just leave it up to the player instead of having a hard limit. Claude has supports with 3 students from other houses, and 2 church people. The deploy limit is low enough that you are not at all pressured to get extra people, nor do you especially benefit from it. It just lets you see more conversations in fewer playthroughs. I'd hate to see them limit cross-house supports either; if anything I'd like more of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah for all the limited deployment is a thing, I still feel I got more out of the various poached units than I would from other Fire Emblems with their massive rosters. Having non battle ways to raise support is good, and just the monastery being a thing and people having plot relevant new dialogue means I can get a lot of say Ignatz even if I never once put him on the field. Also I'm totally someone who wants to save as many of the war children from death as possible.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In one of the early VW maps (I think 14, the one that’s just chapter 12 again), you can guide an NPC to a capture point, and if you do Claude will set half the map on fire.

It’s also one of two schemes you actually see happen.

It is, but on the other hand that literal plot of setting the hill on fire is always executed by edelgard. If it was claude torching the hill on both versions of that map it would have done so much to help the claude is a schemey schemer thing the game keeps saying

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Endorph posted:

the difference is that these developers have yet to say 'playersexual' or have a character's sexuality change based on the player's gender, so imo its way better.

as for poaching, on the one hand i agree ith as rough mechanical implications, on the other i love lysithea and edelgard's interactions. ultimately id say that poaching should have been limited to like two students before the game put a hard cap on it

poaching should have been not possible in the first half of the game

you should have been only allowed to do it in the second half of the game, when you meet those characters in battle and have a sufficient support rank (B to A rank?) and then in true classic FE style, either talk to them/convince them through a difficult dialogue tree (for some chars) or by straight up beating them in battle

fire emblem fates had a kinda interesting implementation with the capture and jail mechanic, but it was pretty one note and you could only use it for like non-unique characters. however, i've always thought that this mechanic had weird implications, considering that capturing someone and forcing them to fight for you is kinda hosed up and pretty difficult to do (that's why historically most POWs were detained indefinitely or executed)

hell, you can take this system one step further and have other characters, besides the player character be able to recruit chars, based on their support levels (like the lysithea and edelgard interactions you mentioned)

however, since the fan base for this series has become increasingly more attached to the characters (this is not inherently unique to fire emblem, fandom and attachment to individual characters has grown for basically everything in popular culture), they were put into this difficult situation of trying to appease fans who would probably not like the fact that, you might have to fight and kill characters that you've grown to like (the inherent drama that three houses is trying to highlight)

i think a hard limit to how many characters you can recruit would seem somewhat arbitrary and would make more people angry. i agree that being able to poach as many characters from the other houses does seem to dampen and lessen the inherent drama and tragedy that is supposed to be highlighted in the second half, but i think that it just being left up to the player's choice is probably the best choice at appeasing the fans.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

General Morden posted:

fire emblem fates had a kinda interesting implementation with the capture and jail mechanic, but it was pretty one note and you could only use it for like non-unique characters. however, i've always thought that this mechanic had weird implications, considering that capturing someone and forcing them to fight for you is kinda hosed up and pretty difficult to do (that's why historically most POWs were detained indefinitely or executed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHEV8ETTaA

The bosses from paralgoues there were obviously cut units are neat, but gently caress Fates already has too many characters I didn't need more.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

big boss was a war criminal and morally reprehensible mad man who used child soldiers

in three houses we are a war criminal and morally reprehensible teacher who trains and uses child soldiers

coincidence?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Genovera posted:

I'd hate to see them limit cross-house supports either; if anything I'd like more of them.

everyone should have supports with everyone imo. there's no reason Hilda and Dorothea or Raphael and Lindhart shouldn't be interacting

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Honestly, I would really like it if you had to have a character that was B-rank Support or better use the Talk action to get the other former students to switch to your side. That would put some stakes on it.

But yeah, I started burning all my Renown on recruiting the entire school to my team just because I can't bear to kill the little bastards during the war. It KILLED ME when I struck down Bernie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I'm just gonna say this is your personal bias since looking at the fandom at large, Edelgard and Dorothea are fan favorites, Mercie is also very well liked. Rhea has her own niche of the fandom and while people hopefully aren't getting too romantic over Sothis who doesn't love our gremlin goddess?

There's a reason why I said "in my opinion." I cannot stand Edelgard, Rhea's not much better, Sothis is OH JESUS NO, and Mercedes and Dorothea are barely tolerable in my book.

Dorothea especially. She's a good foil for some characters, but I find her whole concept incredibly sexist much as I do Manuela. Why can't she be happy as a successful independent woman? Why does she have to be desperate for a rich/powerful spouse?

Mercedes is just boring and has a godawful VA.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

indigi posted:

everyone should have supports with everyone imo. there's no reason Hilda and Dorothea or Raphael and Lindhart shouldn't be interacting

The writers sanity is a reason. The supports in this game are meaty and really good so I'll trade limiting who supports who for quality.

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly, I would really like it if you had to have a character that was B-rank Support or better use the Talk action to get the other former students to switch to your side. That would put some stakes on it.

But yeah, I started burning all my Renown on recruiting the entire school to my team just because I can't bear to kill the little bastards during the war. It KILLED ME when I struck down Bernie.

That would be cool and give me a reason to ever approach Hilda in that map cause gods she's terrifying.

Cythereal posted:

There's a reason why I said "in my opinion." I cannot stand Edelgard, Rhea's not much better, Sothis is OH JESUS NO, and Mercedes and Dorothea are barely tolerable in my book.

Dorothea especially. She's a good foil for some characters, but I find her whole concept incredibly sexist much as I do Manuela. Why can't she be happy as a successful independent woman? Why does she have to be desperate for a rich/powerful spouse?

She grew up literally on the streets and wants to be taken care of. It's a reasonable desire.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

indigi posted:

i agree but in a game like this one with a bajillion characters that's so much writing and VA work. I think you can either have a wide and varied character group or characters who have interactions with all of the other characters in the game, but not both, unless you want a 100GB Switch cart that takes like, 4 years to make.

Tired Moritz posted:

Theres like 50% of his fans that want to be his tool. The translators keeps loving up!!!

no no they don't want to be his tool, they just want his tool. big difference.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Still want to see a game where a gay character is gay, and not whatever based on the whims of the player.

i've gotta say now that i've spent 6 months looking at way too much fan art and forum discussion it is deeply weird whenever i am reminded that Edelgard has romantic endings with any male characters.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eimi posted:

The writers sanity is a reason. The supports in this game are meaty and really good so I'll trade limiting who supports who for quality.

DC Murderverse posted:

i agree but in a game like this one with a bajillion characters that's so much writing and VA work. I think you can either have a wide and varied character group or characters who have interactions with all of the other characters in the game, but not both, unless you want a 100GB Switch cart that takes like, 4 years to make.

at least have all the students have interactions with each other as part of the DLC imo. it's not like they all have to be Oscar worthy writing, I just want to see ppl hanging out :shobon:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

i've gotta say now that i've spent 6 months looking at way too much fan art and forum discussion it is deeply weird whenever i am reminded that Edelgard has romantic endings with any male characters.

:hmmyes: any time I see Edelgard or femByleth in any other ship, regardless of who it is I do a double take. Fortunately 90% of the fanart artists seem to support this notion that they should only be together.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

whatever, Edelgard is Mbyleth's wife too :colbert:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Holy poo poo how do your takes keep getting even worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

she *IS* happy she just wants financial security. the entire point is that her situation doesnt allow her to be financially secure because despite being successful in her field, she is a commoner. she wants a rich spouse in order to be able to pursue her career freely. thats the entire idea of her character. it is a criticism of her having to find a spouse like that, and she never settles for someone who treats her like a trophy and never takes anyone's crap if she doesn't want to, just look at her supports with ferdinand for an example.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Endorph posted:

she *IS* happy she just wants financial security. the entire point is that her situation doesnt allow her to be financially secure because despite being successful in her field, she is a commoner. she wants a rich spouse in order to be able to pursue her career freely. thats the entire idea of her character. it is a criticism of her having to find a spouse like that, and she never settles for someone who treats her like a trophy and never takes anyone's crap if she doesn't want to, just look at her supports with ferdinand for an example.

yeah sometimes it seems like Cyth hasn't even played the game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

the entire point is that her situation doesnt allow her to be financially secure because despite being successful in her field, she is a commoner. she wants a rich spouse in order to be able to pursue her career freely

Her being a commoner is only a restriction because the game's writers chose to write it to be one.

I'll also note that she only has one non-noble paired ending, and it's with someone who's also fabulously wealthy and successful (and incidentally, just as driven to find a husband to take care of her).

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

i think ignatz and leonie are cool characters but some people do not like those characters and that is fine and i respect their opinion

:)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Eimi posted:

:hmmyes: any time I see Edelgard or femByleth in any other ship, regardless of who it is I do a double take. Fortunately 90% of the fanart artists seem to support this notion that they should only be together.

i understand this perspective but also fByleth/Dorothea was my pairing in game so that's the one i'm most partial to.

but Doro/Petra is also good

https://twitter.com/denimcatfish/status/1220575324829650944

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All characters in this game are good, especially the bad ones.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hellioning posted:

All characters in this game are good, especially the bad ones.

except cyril

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Her being a commoner is only a restriction because the game's writers chose to write it to be one.

How dare a game try to be somewhat realistic with the time period.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

I'll be standing over here next to the pegasi, mages, magitek robots, and dragons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I'll also note that she only has one non-noble paired ending, and it's with someone who's also fabulously wealthy and successful (and incidentally, just as driven to find a husband to take care of her).
i really, really like that youve somehow managed to make two successful women relying on each other and getting married into male-focused sexism

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cyril dunks on Manuela the hardest, and for that he is good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

i really, really like that youve somehow managed to make two successful women relying on each other and getting married into male-focused sexism

I was citing that as the only one of Dorothea's paired endings (and, for that matter, Manuela's) that I feel doesn't play into the sexist design of the characters.

Though I suppose Edelgard in both cases is an edge case.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

eh I agree with your larger point but this is a fake universe and the time period isn't real. I think it's more that they tried to be realistic with noble/peasant relations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That relationship is one of the cores of both their characters, even if you don't get that paired ending its what a lot of their characterization is built off of.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what clothes does everyone use. I put almost everyone in their formal winter wear, but Hubert is in the lounge clothes cause it's hilarious watching his supports with him dressed like that

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hubert is permanently in butler mode for me.

Also Dorothea is my favourite character so I am biased here, but the conflict at her core between finding financial security and also finding love and whether she can find happiness with both is incredibly compelling to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nearly every woman ive seen absolutely loves dorothea. she's a confident, openly bi woman who's free with her affections and flirting but never portrayed as like, hypersexual and has clear boundaries she doesn't allow people to cross. you're free to not like the character but i think saying shes a sexist depiction of a woman is just an insane misread.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I can't believe Little Women is so sexist for having its heroes torn between love, financial security and independence

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

My favorite bit of subtle commentary re: the class divide in 3H is, uh, the literal class divide between Noble and Commoner for tier 0. Ashe, an adopted son of a noble house, is still a Commoner in terms of gameplay; meanwhile Hanneman, who has formally renounced his title, nevertheless remains a Noble. This would suggest that birth is all that matters, but then you have Petra, a foreign princess/political hostage, and Mercedes, who broadly speaking is in the same situation as Hanneman, albeit less voluntarily; both Commoners. Essentially, it's all arbitrary and the rules are made up for the benefit of those in power.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dorothea also low key despises herself and a lot of her supports are about her letting go of just that desire for immediate security and to actualize herself and actually love herself. But yes it's telling that she NEVER marries anyone who'd see her as just a trophy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Dorothea and her conflict also heavily ties into Edelgard's route by showing some of the major conflicts in Fodlan's current society, one of the reasons Edelgard wants to smash the social order and why the Black Eagles would follow her

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Anyway this is why you should all read my fanfiction where Leonie and Dorothea talk about their similar motives but disparate methods to escape poverty, and also they get married and adopt lots of children.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really like Dorothea's supports with Caspar since he not only does he not judge her for her goals, he actually appreciates her efforts and dedication and sees it as a parallel to himself, also working hard to prove himself to the world and to get what he couldn't get by birth.

It's a really unique interaction since usually someone like Dorothea would be despised by the writing and told she's wrong no matter what, while Caspar's attempts at proving he's worth his place in spite of being the second son would be elevated by the writing as, well, noble. Here, the writing puts both of them on the same level, and in fact sees no difference whatsoever: both are putting their absolute best into getting what they want, and we should not see them with different eyes.

Add to that that Dorothea has clear limits to what she's willing to accept (she rejects Ferdinand and despises Lorenz, despite both of them being rich, since she refuses to be with someone that looks down on her), and even in that the game's willing to point out when she's going too far (Ferdinand was a far better person than she gave him credit for, far more of an idiot than an rear end in a top hat, and her preconceptions of him didn't allow her to see that) and overall it's clear that Dorothea is a character the writing sees in a positive, if nuanced, light - a far cry from a simple gold digger character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

due to the koei tecmo connection a lot of the game's writers are either women or have experience writing for stuff with huge female fanbases, and, well, you can tell in a lot of ways. fire emblem's always been popular with women but there were a lot of points where that felt more accidental than designed, especially during the kaga era. Like the marketing always seemed aware of it, look at the manga, but Kaga seemed insanely oblivious based on interviews, at least in terms of why it was popular with women.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 24, 2020