Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Although it doesn’t help clarity when third parties step in to carry support forward. See the Python 2 situation, where companies like Red Hat and Amazon (for Lambda) are going to keep supporting the dumb thing for the foreseeable future. Even though it’s been deprecated for ages and is officially “EOL” this year according to the core developers and community.

The term has a defined meaning but there are enough exceptions you can’t entirely take it on its face every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
End of life is when I'm gonna put my boot to your lip

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
End of Life (unless you pay us a ridiculous amount for renewals)

My company did this for a bank. There was an old feature that we were dropping but they complained. We threw a high 6 figure, maybe 7, at them thinking that would be that but no. They sent payment within 30 days.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Welp work from home got axed by senior management. Cool

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Woof Blitzer posted:

something something coronavirus

it's actually shocking how much less effective i am in the office

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Woof Blitzer posted:

They say why?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

skipdogg posted:

They say why?

8. Effective Monday January 27 , we will cease doing Work From Home days. We need all of our staff and managers to be in the office so we can drive Service. I know this change will be unpopular, but it is being enacted across the board to include Incident Managers, Application Service Managers, etc. Any exception to this rule (i.e. emergencies & coverage) needs to be approved first.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Drive Service?

Get hosed. Drive people to look for other employment more like.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Woof Blitzer posted:

8. Effective Monday January 27 , we will cease doing Work From Home days. We need all of our staff and managers to be in the office so we can drive Service. I know this change will be unpopular, but it is being enacted across the board to include Incident Managers, Application Service Managers, etc. Any exception to this rule (i.e. emergencies & coverage) needs to be approved first.

quote this, reply all with just a single ?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Woof Blitzer posted:

"Middle managers are not spending their time managing their employees. Sr Managers want to step in and micromanage for a while."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This is because of the change freeze for Christmas which led to groups blowing their wads on a stream of changes in January which destroyed SLAs. Extreme self-ownage. Too bad because our director and my manager had no say in the decision.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

lol

Someone wrote that and thought it was good messaging.

Goon luck in your job search.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yep. If you've never had WFH at a position, it sucks not getting it.

Having WFH and then having it ripped away is much, much worse. That would be the tipping point for me to start looking for new employment, on principle.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, it's one thing to never have had work from home to start. But to have it then management takes it away? Fuuuuuuck that.

Happy Friday thread. Developers are idiots. God bless.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My ex has been wfh for 20 years. She said they'd need to give her a cash bonus just to buy all the clothes she'd need to have to go back to an office.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GreenNight posted:

My ex has been wfh for 20 years. She said they'd need to give her a cash bonus just to buy all the clothes she'd need to have to go back to an office.

I'd need an intensive course on how to behave in public.

e.g. "The importance of wearing a belt with a kimono when the Amazon man delivers" would be the first lesson.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, it's one thing to never have had work from home to start. But to have it then management takes it away? Fuuuuuuck that.

Happy Friday thread. Developers are idiots. God bless.

You should have seen pen test results I got at the beginning of the week. A website that has only existed for 18 months has tls 1.0 enabled as well as little to no input validation. I sat in the meeting with the dev team and when the subject of input validation libraries was brought up, too many folks didn't know what the gently caress was being discussed.

Developers are idiots.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Woof Blitzer posted:

Dang, no warning either. Told on Friday, starts on Monday.

These kinds of changes are usually to reduce headcount, in my opinion. That's why, for most of you who are like "oh my god, don't they know?", I just say, yes they know. It's intentional.

The Iron Rose posted:

something something coronavirus

it's actually shocking how much less effective i am in the office
Absolutely. The only thing I do better in the office is point at various printouts in a conference room. Anything else is best done without interruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9EUDn8sLrs

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 24, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

You should have seen pen test results I got at the beginning of the week. A website that has only existed for 18 months has tls 1.0 enabled as well as little to no input validation. I sat in the meeting with the dev team and when the subject of input validation libraries was brought up, too many folks didn't know what the gently caress was being discussed.

Developers are idiots.

I just found an unsecured rest endpoint and pulled an entire prod database from a dev API call. Bless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But in the cloud somebody else handles the security for you, look at all the pictures of the badge readers on the data centre providers website

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

But in the cloud somebody else handles the security for you, look at all the pictures of the badge readers on the data centre providers website

What’s a shared responsibility model?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just found an unsecured rest endpoint and pulled an entire prod database from a dev API call. Bless.

Sweet Jesus. God bless.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

:stare:

Does a dev environment have access to production resources, or did the data get cloned over and not sanitized? Neither one is good, but one is worse than the other!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nullfunction posted:

Does a dev environment have access to production resources

Yes. Lmao.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My money is on dev endpoint not being disabled in production

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes. Lmao.

lmao indeed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey at least it's me finding this rather than am actual bad guy....right? Right???

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey at least it's me finding this rather than am actual bad guy....right? Right???

nobody suspects the security guy to be the insider threat all along

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

nullfunction posted:

Does a dev environment have access to production resources

Is this wrong? No reason just asking.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Woof Blitzer posted:

Network isolation between different environments is generally good practice. It shouldn't be possible for a dev resource to access a prod resource even in the event of a human error or configuration error otherwise.

At my last company at least twice there had been an accident of somebody flushing a very important prod redis instance when they thought they were working in another environment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

It's very very wrong. I can go into more detail later as I am phoneposting.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I know, it was just a bit!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I got that beat but I’m signed to a NDA.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Google wave

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

I know, it was just a bit!

Look I am 4 hours into a prod issue on a Friday night, my sense of humour has been taken out back and shot with a flamethrower

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

For the first decade at my current job we had no prod/dev for development. It was all prod.

We still don't have version control or check in/out capabilities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

For the first decade at my current job we had no prod/dev for development. It was all prod.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Look I am 4 hours into a prod issue on a Friday night, my sense of humour has been taken out back and shot with a flamethrower

You can’t get shot with a flamethrower. That makes no sense. If you’re gonna do gun talk let us Americans do it. loving Canuck

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

GreenNight posted:

something I've learned a lot over the past couple years is that you can have really bad technical tooling, processes, you can even have really bad opinions, and it doesn't have that much of an impact on the success of the business overall

if your job lasted a decade without version control someone was still doing the important parts right

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well I’m at the networking/pc side and not the AS400 side. I just watch the festivities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

actually, it was all dev