Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Seriously. The existence of Clone Wars almost redeems the prequel trilogy.

Still waiting on the sequel trilogy to do the same. I used to be a tremendous star wars fan, we're talking PC games a pile of novels RPGs and crap. Haven't even bothered seeing the current movie in theaters because I just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My cat just tried to walk over the firewall I entrenched him in (for science), smelled at some bricks, and continued to walk over it like "nah, I've seen worse". On the way back, he jumped over it. I think I need some mindstorms-stuff and stud shooters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Prequel designs are redeemed due to the amazing Clone Wars series (new episodes coming next month!).

I think they were just good designs to begin with because they were maybe made with toys in mind. But the Clone Wars series probably resulted in the one instance in which I bought a set for a minifig. (I wanted an Ashoka)

Meanwhile the Sequel trilogy feels almost completely devoid of fun new ship/vehicle design and it's really kind of a bummer!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Meanwhile the Sequel trilogy feels almost completely devoid of fun new ship/vehicle design and it's really kind of a bummer!

I think the TIE Dagger is a cool design but at the price point they set I'm not going near it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Extremely cool that I redeemed my VIP points for a $20 online code that immediately doesn’t work on the store.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Extremely cool that I redeemed my VIP points for a $20 online code that immediately doesn’t work on the store.

I almost did that. After refreshing the page I saw the two different sets of points redemption. I'm guessing a lot of people have wasted points in this manner. :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zodack posted:

I think the TIE Dagger is a cool design but at the price point they set I'm not going near it

Cripes! 109$ CAD. How in the world?! I thought the 69$ price point for the Speed Champions Lambo pair was kinda lame given the other 2 car set is 30$ cheaper, but the Tie has less pieces then both.

It also looks just kinda flimsy? Like the cockpit and bits that attach to the wings seem just way lamer then previous designs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Waltzing Along posted:

I almost did that. After refreshing the page I saw the two different sets of points redemption. I'm guessing a lot of people have wasted points in this manner. :(

No, I double double checked that I was redeeming for the Lego.com voucher. I have the email with the code also. But it doesn’t work when I try to check out in the online store.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

No, I double double checked that I was redeeming for the Lego.com voucher. I have the email with the code also. But it doesn’t work when I try to check out in the online store.

Weird, are you putting it in the right spot? You need to enter the code after you hit check out.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Waltzing Along posted:

Weird, are you putting it in the right spot? You need to enter the code after you hit check out.

Yup. I’m doing everything right but keep getting an error. I’ll have to call customer service after work. Their “email us” link isn’t working either.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Ineptitude posted:

Theres a goon that frequents or at least used to frequent this thread that bought like 50 UCS B-Wings at some point. He has been selling them occasionally in this thread. I don't remember who it was though.

I bought one from Capt Invictus for a reasonable price - No Box, Zip lock bags + instructions a few years ago. Not sure if he still has stock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The updated VIP system is an absolute shambles. The staff in store know it too. Every transaction I’ve done, I’ve asked them about it, and there’s this general grumbling of discontent.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

The_Doctor posted:

The updated VIP system is an absolute shambles. The staff in store know it too. Every transaction I’ve done, I’ve asked them about it, and there’s this general grumbling of discontent.

Extremely same. I almost think that Lego corporate are deliberately making VIP non-functional. I ask if I can apply my rewards at my local Lego store every time I check out, just hoping that it will have been fixed.

The poor retail workers there clearly get a ton of poo poo from angry customers about it all the time, so I bend over to be polite about it and let them know I don’t blame them.

It’s remarkably customer unfriendly by policy, for Lego.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I actually did do that and got the in store points and not the lego.com one. Thankfully I contacted customer support and they just reversed it and redeemed the points.

As to sequel trilogy talk, the only good ship design I liked was the resistance bomber. Rogue One had some great sets though. I love the U-Wing design as this sort of Huey Copter in space. I'd love a UCS minifig scale of that actually.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For Lego it is just $$$ out the door. Why give free $$$ to people? It's just a matter of time before it goes away.

The question is, how much longer will GWPs stick around? Probably not much longer. If Lego were a US corp this stuff would have been shelved long ago.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m kinda pissed about my order now too because it put both the New Year Rat and the Drag Racer GWPs in my cart. Wondering now if that’s part of the problem I’m having checking out.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

For Lego it is just $$$ out the door. Why give free $$$ to people? It's just a matter of time before it goes away.

The question is, how much longer will GWPs stick around? Probably not much longer. If Lego were a US corp this stuff would have been shelved long ago.

The whole point of a VIP system is to help incentivize buying directly from LEGO, thus cutting out the middle man of other retailers. You would think they would want it functional, as a 5-10% rebate on a future purchase has to be less than the cut a retailer takes.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Extremely same. I almost think that Lego corporate are deliberately making VIP non-functional.

I have literally not bought a single thing on Lego website since they changed it. With this change and the general crappy redesign of the website it just puts me off completely.

And of course can't forget the old trick of only being able to redeem points into fixed amounts which then expire when not used within the next few months and so on.

Also, it's mostly cheaper to just buy sets on Amazon at this point. Since I don't live in an EU country, this adds a nice further discount when EU VAT is removed. There are literally sets which are around half the price on amazon.de compared to what my country's shop.lego.com is selling them for!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

Prequel designs are redeemed due to the amazing Clone Wars series (new episodes coming next month!).

Whaaaaaa

I only just started watching them, and even though it’s aimed at a younger audience, it is directed by Lucas and it’s great background content to build legos to. Plus the clone wars/old republic stuff are my favorite star wars storylines since KOTOR and Shadows of the Empire. Disney’s death star 5.0, 5.1 death star on a planet, 5.3 death star on a star destroyer boogaloo just doesn’t have any appeal for me.

That being said I can’t wait for a Razorcrest set :q:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
VIP is an all or nothing kind of thing for me. 90% of purchases I make are out of print sets so it makes sense to go completely outside the official channels- I save more buying new sets from Walmart or amazon than I would accumulating points to apply to future savings through LEGO itself. The fact that the points system seems to be plagued with technical difficulties affirms this for me.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Robot Hand Luke was a fun movie.
What we've got here is a failure to Force Communicate.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

What we've got here is a failure to Force Communicate.

:eyepop:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

Still pissed I got out of LEGO after the original UCS TIE and X-Wing (both now sold off) and didn't get back in until the Saturn V and missed the loving BWing. It's my favorite ship and the original 7180 is the only SW ship I still have assembled and didn't give to my son.

I need to make the plunge into Lepin for that I guess.

tuo posted:

Missing the UCS B-Wing hurts, yes. I know that feeling :/

None of these sets are too outlandishly priced on the aftermarket. You could probably even score them for around MSRP if you buy used.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CommanderApaul posted:

Still pissed I got out of LEGO after the original UCS TIE and X-Wing (both now sold off) and didn't get back in until the Saturn V and missed the loving BWing. It's my favorite ship and the original 7180 is the only SW ship I still have assembled and didn't give to my son.

I need to make the plunge into Lepin for that I guess.

It’s out of stock now due to the Chinese New Year (and potentially Coronavirus), but the bootlego UCS B-Wing was only like 70$ at yourwobb recently

I feel the same pain though, I only just got back into Legos a few months ago after seeing the Saturn V at an Apollo 11 exhibit, and I come to find out that all these amazing modular and UCS sets have not only been released, they’ve also been retired

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Forgetting ships for a second, I have to say this is my favorite ideas set I’ve come across:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/874084e7-3ecb-410f-a18b-e7451ae5f2a8

Would love to see some more landscape and park stuff!

Holy poo poo that's awesome. Caves are like half of what I built as a child, since I had like nine hundred BURPs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ineptitude posted:

Theres a goon that frequents or at least used to frequent this thread that bought like 50 UCS B-Wings at some point. He has been selling them occasionally in this thread. I don't remember who it was though.

Probably me, I got 10 of them when they were like 70% off, sold'em all years ago though, sorry, they covered a few months worth of medical bills for my mom

w00tazn posted:

I bought one from Capt Invictus for a reasonable price - No Box, Zip lock bags + instructions a few years ago. Not sure if he still has stock.
That was the one someone put a boot through the box during transit. :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

xzzy posted:

Cats are very agile though and walk on their toes. It's not hard for them to avoid things they don't want to step on, so it's gonna have to be a pretty thick carpet of foot murderers.

This did the trick: https://i.imgur.com/SPWhHxw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Sorry for not embedding it but I’m phone posting and incompetent this morning

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That pic reminds me that I should finally build the WEC technic race car. I even bought the power functions kit for it (which IIRC only makes it open up it's trunk, which isn't even powered or hinged in real life, but whatever).

I need more time to reduce my pile of shame

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

I didn't appreciate how long 3000+ pieces would be. After a week of daily building it's still going, there are still 40 more pages of the build manual. This will never end.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Looking through the Lego catalogue for the first half of 2020 and coincidentally there's a used car lot/garage set in there, complete with sleazy looking salesman

Also it looks like they've fully ripped off the book set idea by making a whole new line of disney princess pop up books

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
bought my dad the 10269 Harley Davidson Fat Boy for christmas, and bought one for myself to build with him. We just got started on them today and...I finished mine in about 3.5 hours, while he was still working on the first bag. I think I'm too good at picking out pieces, maybe I should do the One Big Pile method while he goes bag by bag, to make things more even. :v:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I gave my mother the chinese wall set last year at the beginning of december. With the task to finish it before christmas so she gets her actual christmas gift.

Two days before christmas she told me she actually is fine with not getting anything for christmas if she never has to see Lego again. It completely frustrated her. I built it for her...actually had to tear it down and rebuild it in under an hour. I don't know who felt more embarassed...she or I. Thing is, I remember her building Lego with me when I was a kid and enjoying it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm sorry about your mom.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:negative:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tuo posted:

I gave my mother the chinese wall set last year at the beginning of december. With the task to finish it before christmas so she gets her actual christmas gift.

Two days before christmas she told me she actually is fine with not getting anything for christmas if she never has to see Lego again. It completely frustrated her. I built it for her...actually had to tear it down and rebuild it in under an hour. I don't know who felt more embarassed...she or I. Thing is, I remember her building Lego with me when I was a kid and enjoying it.
Aw, that makes me sad.

Back when I first built John Wick's Mustang, I was showing it off to my father-in-law and he got really excited because he thought it was Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds. I told him it wasn't, but I could design that for him if he wanted, and he enthusiastically said "Sure!" I kind of underestimated how much of a pain in the rear end Eleanor would be, and I probably would have given up on it if not for the fact that I'd told him I could do it, so after a few weeks of grinding away at it, I finished my design. I ordered enough pieces to build two, and I brought one over to his house with a copy of the instructions. He had never built or played with LEGO before and was pretty intimidated. We sat down and built it together, with me only jumping in to help if he was having trouble finding a piece or had placed something incorrectly. He ended up loving the whole thing and bought a little acrylic display case to keep the finished model in.

It was a super fun experience, one I would never have with my own dad because he just doesn't really care for this hobby at all. In fact, one of the first cars I ever did was my dad's own favorite car from his youth, his '68 Olds 442, and I kinda figured I'd give him his own copy, but he just really doesn't seem to care at all. Whatever, I guess!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, I later found out what the actual problem was for my mother. I mean she's 72, but totally the same/no terrible illness etc.. But she had huge problems with all the 1x1 pieces in the set, as she had surgery to one of her hands two or three times, and has trouble controlling it. I never knew that it was that severe, and found out through it. She wasn't really able to pick up the 1x1s and got terribly frustrated about it. I gave it to her more as a joke, because the actual gift was a photo book of all the photos I took when we visited china and the actualy wall many years ago.

It still made me pretty sad, realizing how getting old can restrict you from doing stuff you enjoyed back when you had young kids.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 26, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I didn't appreciate how long 3000+ pieces would be. After a week of daily building it's still going, there are still 40 more pages of the build manual. This will never end.

I assume this is the McLaren MoC? I'm eyeing that (either Lego or Non-Lego) for quite some time, as it looks pretty dope once finished!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Oh for fucks sake. I bought my son a robot off of Amazon that’s made from knock off LEGO. It’s kinda cool, rechargeable battery and it zooms around really quick.

What’s the problem you ask? Well, it’s in pieces now. Where did those pieces end up? In the same bin with all of the legit LEGO bricks we have. I feel filthy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7WLPVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_udClEb9462BXC

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

tuo posted:

I assume this is the McLaren MoC? I'm eyeing that (either Lego or Non-Lego) for quite some time, as it looks pretty dope once finished!

It is, a clone kit. Just finished it up. Absolute unit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

IG-88 posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I bought my son a robot off of Amazon that’s made from knock off LEGO. It’s kinda cool, rechargeable battery and it zooms around really quick.

What’s the problem you ask? Well, it’s in pieces now. Where did those pieces end up? In the same bin with all of the legit LEGO bricks we have. I feel filthy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7WLPVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_udClEb9462BXC

I gave up on this long ago. I've had Tyco Super Blocks (this set) mixed in with the real ones since the mid 80s.