Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Is that a linoleum-floored living room? My god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

If ever a bike deserved to be in a basement goonhole it's the SV.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FBS posted:

my brain is desperately trying to date this image and failing

Hurricane Irma, so September 2017 :v:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Is that a linoleum-floored living room? My god.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If ever a bike deserved to be in a basement goonhole it's the SV.

I wanted my own house but I'm single and I don't make a lot of money. Sacrifices had to be made :colbert:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 16, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If that's 2017 how do you explain that tv :colbert:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

If that's 2017 how do you explain that tv :colbert:

One of those sacrifices is keeping hand-me-downs instead of buying newer things.

Plus I'm a computer nerd so I watch most stuff at my desk.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 16, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So yesterday I got merged into by a dumbass who didn't signal or look before making their move. I saw it happening and almost managed to brake/swerve out of the way, but their mirror clipped my handlebar and that was enough to knock the bike over and also rip off their mirror. Hell yeah. I got my legs pinned under the bike in the crash but possibly thanks to my rigid armored Dainese boots I have no injuries to my feet or ankles. Nothing anywhere other than a scraped knee and general soreness, in fact. Wear your gear. Lots of passersby saw it happen and some guys helped lift the bike off and stand it up.

The driver actually left the scene before the police arrived because they had to get to work!!! lol get hosed. but they left their passenger behind to repeatedly tell me it wasn't a hit and run because she was right there, she was staying, it wasn't a hit and run!!! The cops were not super impressed by this move. They asked for the driver's information and she said she didn't know his last name because he was a coworker. Oh and it was her car, but he was driving it. Cops raise their eyebrows and say alright, give me your information and we'll look you up at least. She says oh ahahahahaha if you look me up you'll see why I wasn't driving ahahaha!!!! so I assume she had a suspended license or a bunch of DUIs or something. There's a police report, maybe they'll track down and charge the other guy with leaving the scene, I don't know, gently caress it.

Bike needs about 200 bucks of new parts I think, mirrors and pegs and poo poo, and has some new dents and dings but I was able to ride it home fine. Ugh.

America.txt: I was standing up and lucid and the paramedics took a look at my rashed up knee and asked if I wanted them to clean it up. My automatic response was "is there a charge?" :911:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 17, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

So yesterday I got merged into by a dumbass who didn't signal or look before making their move. I saw it happening and almost managed to brake/swerve out of the way, but their mirror clipped my handlebar and that was enough to knock the bike over and also rip off their mirror. Hell yeah. I got my legs pinned under the bike in the crash but possibly thanks to my rigid armored Dainese boots I have no injuries to my feet or ankles. Nothing anywhere other than a scraped knee and general soreness, in fact. Wear your gear. Lots of passersby saw it happen and some guys helped lift the bike off and stand it up.

The driver actually left the scene before the police arrived because they had to get to work!!! lol get hosed. but they left their passenger behind to repeatedly tell me it wasn't a hit and run because she was right there, she was staying, it wasn't a hit and run!!! The cops were not super impressed by this move. They asked for the driver's information and she said she didn't know his last name because he was a coworker. Oh and it was her car, but he was driving it. Cops raise their eyebrows and say alright, give me your information and we'll look you up at least. She says oh ahahahahaha if you look me up you'll see why I wasn't driving ahahaha!!!! so I assume she had a suspended license or a bunch of DUIs or something. There's a police report, maybe they'll track down and charge the other guy with leaving the scene, I don't know, gently caress it.

Bike needs about 200 bucks of new parts I think, mirrors and pegs and poo poo, and has some new dents and dings but I was able to ride it home fine. Ugh.

America.txt: I was standing up and lucid and the paramedics took a look at my rashed up knee and asked if I wanted them to clean it up. My automatic response was "is there a charge?" :911:

That fukkin blows. Glad you're okay and it sounds like it's only superficial bike damage but dealing with insurance is a pain.
Was there a charge for some emergency response bactine and a bandaid?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sagebrush posted:

As always, good job not dying. Is the display on the hawk ok? This is important.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

As always, good job not dying. Is the display on the hawk ok? This is important.

Just to clarify, the display is the important bit.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The driver leaving the scene is sketch as hell, aren't they supposed to check if they were impaired if there's an accident causing injury?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Glad you're OK Sagebrush, that sucks rear end. "I'm leaving because I have to go to work" JFC.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aw jeez sage thats awful. Wonder how drunk that driver was to ding and ditch. I'm so glad you are ok, and that the bike is (mostly) unscathed. Good job reacting in time to mitigate the incident.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just to be clear, we all know that’s the boyfriend, not her coworker, right? I can’t imagine just letting a coworker take my car and run.

E: putting money now on him having something open that means he’d have been arrested.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Glad youre still with us Sagebrush, im sorry for what happened :(

Yeah, i think most likely the guy had a warrant or was driving under influence, makes my blood boil.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thanks for the best wishes!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Was there a charge for some emergency response bactine and a bandaid?

nah, honestly I've had worse scrapes from tripping as a kid so I just turned down treatment. I know there's the whole delayed-reaction thing and there was a risk that I'd end up with a knee the size of a grapefruit today but turns out it's fine.

again, wear all your gear -- i noticed today that the toe of my boot and the palms of my gloves are also newly shredded, so, you know.

Slavvy posted:

Just to clarify, the display is the important bit.

luckily the display is fine. the screen got knocked out of alignment and there are some dead pixel rows now but i've been working on version 2 anyway so it's gonna get replaced sooner or later :ssh:

MomJeans420 posted:

The driver leaving the scene is sketch as hell, aren't they supposed to check if they were impaired if there's an accident causing injury?

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Yeah, i think most likely the guy had a warrant or was driving under influence, makes my blood boil.

the more i think about it the more this is probably the case, lol. the driver did get out, and he picked up the hubcap from his her own car and wordlessly handed it to me like it came off my bike somehow? i was still full of adrenaline and pissed off so i just said "this isn't mine!" and spiked it on the ground but in retrospect why would you do that unless you were drunk or stoned? it was obviously a car hubcap.

also the lady kept repeating "do you want to exchange information? cause i have to get to work, do you want to exchange information? i can't stay here, i have to work" while i was still in shock so i snapped "i don't loving care" meaning like, just leave me the gently caress alone for a minute, but then she started badgering me about "okay will you say that on camera?? i need to get that on camera if you don't wanna do anything, so you don't act like it was a hit and run later, i need to film you and your driver's license" etc. i didn't, obviously, and the cops came and took all the statements and information, but again, in retrospect, yeah probably something not totally above board was going on.

oh well, it pisses me off but not enough to try and press charges or whatever, i just hope that guy gets what's coming to him. karma

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 17, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i was still in shock so i snapped "i don't loving care" meaning like, just leave me the gently caress alone for a minute

Shock or not, this is probably the correct answer to someone acting like that.

I made several incredulous faces in the process of reading your story. I'm glad you're ok.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Glad to hear you and the bike are mostly ok.

vaporwave dash for sale when

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat, Sagey, glad you're OK.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Holy poo poo man, I'm glad you made it out of that ok, sorry about the experience and the damage to the bike.
That poo poo makes me really angry just reading it. I know you seem to be done with it, but I wish you'd press charges or file a report. People don't need to be allowed to get away with that kind of behavior. They need to lose their license for a very long time and have to be off the road. The driver needs to be able to appreciate that they actually CAN drive themselves to work, much less leave the scene of an accident early. And now they need to be in a situation where they have to take transit to work or ride a 49 cc scooter.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

They'll do neither of those things and instead drive a car unlicensed and uninsured because people suck.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

They'll do neither of those things and instead drive a car unlicensed and uninsured because people suck.

Sadly yeah, they are probably on the road right now, neither of them licensed or insured and have totally forgotten about almost maiming someone. I don't blame you for not pressing charges or pursuing it, because what's the point, but if I were the police I would crack down on this kind of stuff so hard. It's one thing when people make mistakes it's another when they lie to cover it up. If I were the cop I would have called her on her bluff and driven her to "work" to find her "co-worker".

Glad you're ok, and good thing Hawks never die their riders just get very very old.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Dumb thing I just realized - I got new tires 6 months ago, planning on doing a track day, but since then I've just been commuting and haven't even hit up the canyons. I was looking at my chicken strips and the right side is about half the left side, which I was taking to mean I'm more comfortable turning right, but after paying attention I realized for some reason I naturally hang off the bike a lot more on left turns, and I'm not as comfortable hanging off on right turns. Which means I'm using more of my available lean angle to turn right, so I'm actually better at left turns (or at least making them with more "room" to spare grip wise). It wasn't even a conscious thing, so now I'm trying to make myself hang off more on right turns, but it doesn't feel as good for some reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I get that too. I'm much better at going left and usually feel like I'm absolutely railing poo poo only to find a few mm of unused tyre whatever I do, whereas turning right I can feel like I'm taking it easy staying well within my limits and the rubber will be worn right to the edge.

It's definitely a factor of leaning off less, I often struggle to lean off on the right because I find it difficult to maintain fine control of the throttle with my elbow all scrunched up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IF👏YOU👏REMOVED👏YOUR👏CHICKEN👏STRIPS👏ON👏THE👏STREET👏YOU👏HAVE👏hosed👏UP👏

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You're not my mum

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This nearly got me kicked out of the local motorcycle Facebook. Then like a month later the street rossi admin got himself killed hooning around a local "circuit" and they're all ATGATT and "Be Safe" and organizing tribute track days.

It's a loving shame someone had to die for them to get sensible.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Getting rid of them on the street is easy on a sumo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

You're not my mum

Well not with that attitude

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Getting rid of them on the street is easy on a sumo

On any bike with a fat tyre you can make them stop existing using a roundabout, they don't really mean anything except when they're embarrassingly huge on a really sporty bike, and all they mean then is that the person bought the wrong bike.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

This nearly got me kicked out of the local motorcycle Facebook. Then like a month later the street rossi admin got himself killed hooning around a local "circuit" and they're all ATGATT and "Be Safe" and organizing tribute track days.

It's a loving shame someone had to die for them to get sensible.

It won't last. They'll be back to squidding it up in no time

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What if it's a lovely dot knobbie?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

What if it's a lovely dot knobbie?

Then that means you removed your chicken strips via siiiiiiiiiiiick drifting.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

YET ANOTHER reason to "dark side" it, no chicken strips.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gorson posted:

YET ANOTHER reason to "dark side" it, no chicken strips.
Wrong, the entire sidewall is a chicken strip in that case.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That's right you vulvas I removed the chicken strips on this detomaso pantera tire I had installed on my busa

mewse
May 2, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

That's right you vulvas I removed the chicken strips on this detomaso pantera tire I had installed on my busa

drat... this guy is a bad rear end...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

What's it like having a turning circle bigger than Earth's diameter?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops have I been removing them wrong?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Goofus argues on the internet about chicken strips while Gallant enjoys riding his new CanAm Spyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dad went to go take delivery on his new africa twin at the dealership... they forklifted the case :wtf:

same guys regularly forget to do things like reconnect vacuum hoses, tighten oil plugs, etc etc. unfortunately they are also the largest dealer network in GA

i think i'd rather buy a bike out of state at this point though