Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Still sexy as h*ck

it's sooo fast too. I've had a couple of super fast cars but it's so much more scary on a bike.

I haven't even taken it out of standard mode yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just fyi if you want a header don't let noise concerns stop you. The can on the end is the only relevant factor when it comes to noise, you can muffle basically anything with a $20 db killer, and a good aftermarket pipe + db plug will still work better than the factory pipe, provided you do some kind of tune. Just chucking a can on there will increase noise at the expense of performance.

E: wait is this your first bike????

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Just fyi if you want a header don't let noise concerns stop you. The can on the end is the only relevant factor when it comes to noise, you can muffle basically anything with a $20 db killer, and a good aftermarket pipe + db plug will still work better than the factory pipe, provided you do some kind of tune. Just chucking a can on there will increase noise at the expense of performance.

E: wait is this your first bike????

first bike that moves out of its own way lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I have a little over 1000 miles on my 99 honda shadow VT750. So far I'm loving riding, I've been riding it the 25 miles to work every day it's not supposed to be raining. I have gotten caught in the rain once and it wasn't too bad. I've been looking at other bikes and I really like the look of the 2018+ Honda CB1000R but I can't afford it right now (and it has more power than I have skill) so that gives me a couple years to save up, prices to drop on used models, and my skills to sharpen in the meantime.

this was from september. how many more miles did you put on before you got the CB1000?

on an unrelated note, what happened to that guy who bought an EX250, rode it like 500 miles and complained the whole time, bought an I4 600 claiming he finally had the power he needed, and then disappeared? i can't remember his name but I think his second bike was a yellow F4i

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

on an unrelated note, what happened to that guy who bought an EX250, rode it like 500 miles and complained the whole time, bought an I4 600 claiming he finally had the power he needed, and then disappeared? i can't remember his name but I think his second bike was a yellow F4i

This was all ringing a bell up until the yellow F4i because it seems to happen a lot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

this was from september. how many more miles did you put on before you got the CB1000?

revmoo or something, i think that was also the guy who said he could handle it because he had a mustang or something

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Razzled posted:

revmoo or something, i think that was also the guy who said he could handle it because he had a mustang or something

There were at least two people making that particular claim.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I really wish we didn't scare these people away so we could enjoy the aftermath.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

about 4000, then another 1000 or so on a '15 cb500f

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In that case, buy a GoPro and :rip:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Somewhat warm day so I popped into the shed to pull the carbs on my Ninjette. Shifting the airbox was about as annoying as I’d expected, plus “warm day” is still subjective so cold hands made it hard to do fiddly things.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

is that Delaware registration good till 2025?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Somewhat warm day so I popped into the shed to pull the carbs on my Ninjette. Shifting the airbox was about as annoying as I’d expected, plus “warm day” is still subjective so cold hands made it hard to do fiddly things.

I used a hair dryer to get the air intake ducts back on my carbs - it worked quite well in our canadian weather to soften the rubber and get them malleable enough to stretch on to the intake

e: I've got the cheapest portable hair dryer that canadian tire sold at the time because I originally bought it to put up window film and contract it to get rid of wrinkles

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I use a heat gun on low but yeah, softening them up is everything, ideally you want to heat them before fitting as well so they harden after you do the clamps up for a perfect seal.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

GriszledMelkaba posted:

is that Delaware registration good till 2025?

yeah on brand new stuff you can get 5 year registrations and then it's every 2 years after that. I think on current model year brand new cars you can even get 7 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mewse posted:

I used a hair dryer to get the air intake ducts back on my carbs - it worked quite well in our canadian weather to soften the rubber and get them malleable enough to stretch on to the intake

e: I've got the cheapest portable hair dryer that canadian tire sold at the time because I originally bought it to put up window film and contract it to get rid of wrinkles

Slavvy posted:

I use a heat gun on low but yeah, softening them up is everything, ideally you want to heat them before fitting as well so they harden after you do the clamps up for a perfect seal.

Never considered I’ll need to do this, and I bought a heat gun for shrink wrap on the ninjette earlier this year so that’s a great idea. Thanks!

Starting small engine repair course Monday, hope to learn all the fun things including cleaning my carbs. Making that my winter project.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Never considered I’ll need to do this, and I bought a heat gun for shrink wrap on the ninjette earlier this year so that’s a great idea. Thanks!

Starting small engine repair course Monday, hope to learn all the fun things including cleaning my carbs. Making that my winter project.

Stressing very cautious use of the low setting on a heat gun. Even hot water from the tap can be enough to soften them up, and a heat gun can get rubber hot enough to cause structural changes, e.g., bubbling and rapidly getting rock hard and cracking when it cools. The gun will work great but it’s easy to gently caress up real fast.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve definitely learned to keep heat guns at arms lengths. Not for bike mishaps, thankfully, but the gun has claimed some plastic before. Thanks for the reminder!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I managed to simultaneously burn and shrink wrap my finger once and it stuck with me :haw:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I got the pistons out finally. Turns out my box of random/free GL1000 parts had a complete brake system, so I hooked that up to my calipers on the bench and pumped the pistons out. Except for being extremely dirty and with gunk stuck to them, as well as crystallized fluid, they're in not bad shape. They took a lot of pressure to move, I don't see how compressed air would have gotten this done. The inside of the caliper doesn't seem damaged. Probably the worst thing is the brake fluid crystals in the o ring channels; that will take some scraping. I have a set of nylon picks and scrapers now that should take care of it.

The real problem now is getting the broken screw out of the master cylinder assembly.

[edit] The screw is out. Not elegantly, but it's out. Carbide dremel bits are the poo poo. Diamond dremel bits are just... poo poo. For this kind of brute force drilling, anyway. I chased the threads about 100 times, and rinsed them with alcohol and compressed air. I think it's good now.

Everything from now on is scraping brake fluid crust.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 26, 2020

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Put a knockoff sc project exhaust on it today. I liked how it sounded with just the big muffler removed but it looked silly. then took the bike on a ride with a friend who just bought a 2019 mt09

I think I'm done altering except for thoughts of buying different mirrors, all I can see are my elbows.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that looks way better

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

not today but yesterday. wired some different fog lamps cause why not

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Looks good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

That looks like an exceptionally well lit vagina. I'm not being sexist or metaphorical, or even trying to insult you. It's just....just look at that headlight good god.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

right arm posted:

That's a really awesome photo. The lighting and shadows and symmetry are incredible.

What fogs did you get? Do they work well for actually lighting stuff?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

That looks like an exceptionally well lit vagina. I'm not being sexist or metaphorical, or even trying to insult you. It's just....just look at that headlight good god.

I have NOT put my peanus in it just to be clear

Coydog posted:

That's a really awesome photo. The lighting and shadows and symmetry are incredible.

What fogs did you get? Do they work well for actually lighting stuff?

hey thanks. having a garage definitely beats taking photos of it outside in a lot :D

and I just got some cheapo LED ones straight from china and threw a sheet of amber lamin-x off amazon on them. wired the halo to the ACC2 line (1amp that’s only hot when the bike is on) and then tied the central part of the fog lamps to my high beams. that way I won’t annoy people with bright rear end fog lamps 24/7 but can still look ~cool~ with the halos.

idk if they really do all that much. not to talk up the 1290 more than I already do, but the headlights on it are already insanely good. idk if you’d really be able to do much more unless you got a light bar and even I think those are too dorky. I did angle these lamps out to the right and left just slightly though so they can hopefully help search for deer at night when I flip the high beams on

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

I have NOT put my peanus in it just to be clear

My "I have not attempted to gently caress my headlight" t-shirt is attracting a lot of questions that are already answered by the shirt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buddy, they won’t even let me gently caress it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Today in let's fix Austrian mistakes: let's build a dualsport/adv and give it a kickstand from a superduke.

welded a big ol fuckin pad on it. sink in the soft poo poo again, bastard.

Bonus round: Neighbor brought his HD pipe over for some repairs while the welder was out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a fucken Vrod, isn't it.

Also your stand looks factory rn and it took me a little to realise it must've been tiny beforehand.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Good work on that repair to the stand. I'm with slavvy. Couldn't figure out what wasn't factory.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's a fucken Vrod, isn't it.

Also your stand looks factory rn and it took me a little to realise it must've been tiny beforehand.

nah it's a shovel head? mid 80s pile of greasy bolts. said he "blew the pipe open at 120mph" lolllll riiiiiight.

the original pad is still there, the new one is stitched to it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finished up my early 18000mi service regreasing the swingarm and headstock. also went for my first “for fun” ride in awhile as it was ~70° out today :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

nah it's a shovel head? mid 80s pile of greasy bolts. said he "blew the pipe open at 120mph" lolllll riiiiiight.

the original pad is still there, the new one is stitched to it.

Oh it's a shovelhead, that thing must be running super lean. That's also waaay too much pipe for one of those tractors :lol:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Forgive me goons, for I have sinned.

I checked my motorcycle tyre pressure for the first time today, after about 4 months of owning it. It was half of what it should be. Filled up both tyres with my bicycle track pump to the correct stated pressures. (25psi in front, 33 in the back).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

moxieman posted:

Compressed air works too. Put a thin piece of wood inside the caliper to catch the piston(s). Don’t pinch your fingers.

Don't be a pansy.
Disassemble the caliper halves.
Plug any holes.
Screw in a hose attachment directly to where the bleeder screw went.
Aim at anything you want to destroy.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Forgive me goons, for I have sinned.

I checked my motorcycle tyre pressure for the first time today, after about 4 months of owning it. It was half of what it should be. Filled up both tyres with my bicycle track pump to the correct stated pressures. (25psi in front, 33 in the back).
Congrats on your ("oh my god, it feels like an entirely") new bike!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't be a pansy.
Disassemble the caliper halves.
Plug any holes.
Screw in a hose attachment directly to where the bleeder screw went.
Aim at anything you want to destroy.

I'm not a fan of aerosol brake fluid, so I'm happy with my hydraulic method.

Now on the subject of "don't be a pansy": two of the pistons are scratched and will need at least .003" removed to be smooth. I worked on one last night with some 400 grit paper, on my dad's lathe, and got it .001" down. I assume I'm a pansy for ordering some new pistons, because I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do.

However: if anyone has sanded down scratches and then put the piston back into service, I'd like to hear.

Finally- the caliper walls don't seem to be scored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm not a fan of aerosol brake fluid, so I'm happy with my hydraulic method.

Now on the subject of "don't be a pansy": two of the pistons are scratched and will need at least .003" removed to be smooth. I worked on one last night with some 400 grit paper, on my dad's lathe, and got it .001" down. I assume I'm a pansy for ordering some new pistons, because I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do.

However: if anyone has sanded down scratches and then put the piston back into service, I'd like to hear.

Finally- the caliper walls don't seem to be scored.

I've smoothed out a CB750 front brake piston that was scratched but I used fine steel wool and called it a day. It didn't leak after like a year of use so I assume it's still fine.

I meant don't be a pansy and turn your caliper into a piston cannon and blow a hole in some drywall.

Fake edit: you should take some 0000 steel wool to the inside of the caliper and clean it up for good measure.
In and out, not round and round. You're cleaning, not sanding. Also wash it out and blow it out real good after.