Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TheAgent posted:

if that "CIG is completely redoing SQ42 under an entirely new engine" leaks are true I'm gonna lol myself into an early grave

The problem with this is how to they hire the talent required to develop on the new engine without being able to advertise they are using the new engine.

Instead, they are totally selling SQ42 to another company to develop.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Of course lots of fun things fit that redacted template. For example, if the rumors of unusable motion capture are to be believed, it could be read like this:

"Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports that it is rewriting much of the storyline for the game's plot. While it seems far-fetched that any video game developer, who has been working extensively on a game and is pressing toward a release date, would be rewriting the core storyboard, CIG stated this position in a recent verified discovery response."

Either way, whatever was redacted suggested that CIG is delaying the release. Whether it's for an engine switch, a story change, or giving Chris time to get his ill-gotten funds out of the country, the humor is hiding under the black.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Scruffpuff posted:

That's what my own personal Mad Libs insert sounds like.

"Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports to be in the midst of migrating the game engine from Cryengine to Amazon's Lumberyard. While it seems far-fetched that any video game developer, who has been working extensively on a game and is pressing toward a release date, would be changing their game engine, CIG stated this position in a recent verified discovery response."

very postpone

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So are they stalling out the lawsuit to claim that they did not develop Squadron 42 with a new engine, which would not be permitted under the GLA for 2 years after they terminated the contract (which they never terminated)? Are they just hiding the switch behind shifting schedule updates until the lawsuit is over? Are those black boxes covering up a potential release to console?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
who knows, but its a good bet

if they are trying to release sq42 as a standalone console game, that totally fucks with the whole "no see, its accessed through the same launcher so its the same game under the GLA" shtick they've been pushing for years now

it could also be something like "in the early game design and planning stages, with no substantial progress since 2014."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this puts them in a really, really bad position re: the sq42 roadmap

if you're telling crytek and the court "sq42 won't be ready until 2025" but you're telling your investors and backers "its going into beta in 2020" well, gently caress, there's some serious loving problems there and its no longer a bunch of idiots whose money you can use for whatever yachting experience, but a bunch of lawyers, a judge and a billionaire investor

so yeah, chris, good luck with all this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

I mean its gotta be console related poo poo. it has to be.

It's literally the only reason that you could have for a purposeful delay at this point, but I don't know how they square anything with the Sony model. Microsoft, on the other hand...

trucutru posted:

Ahahaha, I can't believe the goddamn theory you fudsters came with was actually right. :drat:

There's a problem with the claim that Amazon has grounds to license source code going *backwards*, no matter what Amazon or Ci!G say. Talk is cheap right up until the point you're deposed.

On the other hand it's really a question of waiting and seeing what the counsel pull out of their rear end on both sides, but lets not lose sight of the fact that CI!G now doesn't want a delay and Crytek doesn't.

Seriously, that's a biggie. Parpticularly given that they want no prejudice.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Of course lots of fun things fit that redacted template. For example, if the rumors of unusable motion capture are to be believed, it could be read like this:

Talk to Transformer posted:

Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports to be the victim of securities fraud. The problem is that CIG does not yet have any game assets that it is a party to, and so a proper motion for a sham relief order can be filed.

Their work in the past year has accomplished nothing besides leading to massive delays, as can be seen on the hundreds of millions of dollars in refunds given already.

CIG is wrong about all the claims about needing to prove legal ownership of their game assets.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

so yeah, chris, good luck with all this

Best birthday present that a Soros apparachick and Star Citizen hate-crimer could have.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm not sure how the Crobbler's Frankenstein poo poo-code could ever pass console certification, even in this, our most ridiculous timeline.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The only significant thing I can think of lately that CIG has purported is the change to Lumberyard. So my guess would be the first line is about them claiming to scrap all of the work with CryTek to swap over at this stage, and the second one is how unlikely it sounds that they would be willing to scrap all their work and start over.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

"Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports that it is rewriting much of the storyline for the game's plot. While it seems far-fetched that any video game developer, who has been working extensively on a game and is pressing toward a release date, would be rewriting the core storyboard, CIG stated this position in a recent verified discovery response."

Either way, whatever was redacted suggested that CIG is delaying the release. Whether it's for an engine switch, a story change, or giving Chris time to get his ill-gotten funds out of the country, the humor is hiding under the black.

Wait, what?

I was like 99.99% positive it went like this:

"Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports that procedural birds and feather tickling are integral to the player's experience. While it seems far-fetched that any video game developer, who has been working extensively on a game and is pressing toward a release date, would be perfecting duck-plucking mechanics in zero-G, CIG stated this position in a recent verified discovery response."

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
CIG's hail mary move to save Star Citizen is to release Squadron 42 to console and hopefully raise enough cash to pay off Calders and keep the company afloat, all they need to do is navigate the lawsuit and maybe the plan will work. Oh, but what's this? Crytek want to wait until you actually release the game before they continue litigation. They're waiting for you at the end to take a big wet bite out of your SQ42 windfall. They're double dog daring you to release it to consoles so that 1. everyone will see that you're using the same old junky engine that you said you stopped using, 2. You were purposefully delaying the game to skirt around the lawsuit, 3. They know the game is poo poo and want to see you judged for the hack you are, chris.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
"Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports that releasing a Chris Roberts game will ruin the company's funding model, leading to insolvency. While it seems far-fetched that any video game developer, who has been working extensively on a game and is pressing toward a release date, would be delaying release to milk whale backers of funds, CIG stated this position in a recent verified discovery response."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3v4Bqzt.png[/img]"]Of course, the reverse is equally true, i.e., CIG does have an obligation to credit Crytek if it has not switched away from the CryEngine. As detailed in Section I.A.2, CIG has already stated that it continues to rely on the same CryEngine code covered by the GLA—there was no switch

Come onnnnn, Cryengine splash screens :crobear:

(I know it's a timeline too far, but this would just be hilarious)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Star Citizen: While You Were Funding, I Studied the Yacht.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

Star Citizen: While You Were Funding, I Studied the Yacht.

:five:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That loving roadmap lmfao.

Jesus christ what must it be like to be the kind of person who has spent the last five years being certain that any loving day now CIG is gonna prove the haters wrong, and then just keep reading this poo poo every month.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This seems like the biggest unknown of 2020 — did Chris con Calder in 2018 or not? Did he knowingly mislead him about the true state of Squadron, or did he sell him on something else and they just publicized the deal as a Squadron-centric investment?

I can’t believe he’d be stupid enough to deliberately mislead a guy like Calder. But it sure feels like he must have.

Doesn’t it feel like it finally sunk through to Chris last year that he was completely and totally screwed?

Chris is the best salesman they have — so why has he gone silent? Is he afraid of saying something that will come back to haunt him? Has he already been sidelined and his projects turned over to outsiders? If you’re Calder, do you see Chris as a liability? He presumably does, otherwise why let the guy backers love most opt out of proselytizing to them?

2019 and 2020 still don’t have an explanatory narrative yet. Our last big narrative change was “Clive Calder invests $46 million to market Squadron 42 for a 2020 release.” That narrative has collapsed. It was pretty obvious long before Crytek made their provocative suggestions about the uncertainty of Squadron’s release. Now it’s crystal clear and with 300% magnification.

But what exactly are the ramifications of that?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm wondering, how big a straight slice of the yearly backer funding, for how long, would the Calders have needed to get for their investment to simply be profitable that way?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

G0RF posted:

I can’t believe he’d be stupid enough to deliberately mislead a guy like Calder. But it sure feels like he must have.

You mean the same guy who took Microsoft millions intended for Freelancer and spent it on Wingcommander VS The Muppets The Movie and ostensibly got away with it? Never I say!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pixelate posted:

How could the NPC even drag you into ship if they can't transition physics grids?

Not that it matters, because it won't work/happen. But I can imagine him sitting on rock waiting for it.

e:

Lol, this did alright on the sub

And that was before the roadmap update...

Im the ship with two tail engines that, in no way, shapr, or form, could prevent itself from flying rear end over end because of newtonian physics.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I keep unconsciously hovering my mouse over the redacted bits expecting the text to pop up like it was spoiler tag.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Quavers posted:

"Crytek filed its motion for the simple reason that CIG, as unbelievable as it sounds several years into game development, purports that releasing a Chris Roberts game will ruin the company's funding model, leading to insolvency. While it seems far-fetched that any video game developer, who has been working extensively on a game and is pressing toward a release date, would be delaying release to milk whale backers of funds, CIG stated this position in a recent verified discovery response."

"https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/6256484/115/2/crytek-gmbh-v-cloud-imperium-games-corp/" posted:

No. 1 in late November 2019. Crytek intends to re-file its claims after CIG actually releases Squadron 42, not because the release is a necessary precondition to Crytek’s breach claim, but because CIG will no longer have any ability to hide how it has been developing Squadron 42 once it releases it. CIG’s delay games will end, and once CIG releases Squadron 42 as a standalone game (in line with its public statements), it will indisputably confirm that CIG has been developing Squadron 42 as a standalone game in breach of the GLA.

While your post makes sense. The court doc intimates that the ~mystery redactions~ have to do with how the game is being developed. Also while chris is a leech I doubt he is intelligent or self aware enough to realize that the game releasing would kill his income stream.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Armadillo Tank posted:

While your post makes sense. The court doc intimates that the ~mystery redactions~ have to do with how the game is being developed. Also while chris is a leech I doubt he is intelligent or self aware enough to realize that the game releasing would kill his income stream.

:thejoke:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

This seems like the biggest unknown of 2020 — did Chris con Calder in 2018 or not? Did he knowingly mislead him about the true state of Squadron, or did he sell him on something else and they just publicized the deal as a Squadron-centric investment?

Doesn’t it feel like it finally sunk through to Chris last year that he was completely and totally screwed?

I mean, Chris might have tried to con the Calders (that wouldn't be out of character for the scumbag) but those sorts of investors are quite savvy and perfectly happy to pretend to be conned. 'cuz their contracts will protect them and the one with the money makes the contract. In the worst case they lose some money and deduct it from their taxes.

In any case, if some dudes invest fifty million in your company that is living hand-to-mouth they own your rear end.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I for one, cannot wait to see how Crobblers worms his way out of this mess.

Maybe he already has! :iiam:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
*crobbler worms his way out of the mess, easily*

"ah, well, nevertheless!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Crobbler has his mansion and will always have his golden parachute. Everything but his reputation will be fine. The losers were always the backers.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

:reddit: posted:

They really have no loving clue as to what they are doing on anything that isn’t a relatively easy implementation. Nothing with complexity or true innovation has progressed in a year.

No new groundbreaking developments. SSOCS came (in V0), and is gone. Still at 50 players/server, same old bugs, same old poo poo UI, and a bunch of other plaguing problems that we’ve seen for a while.

I’m not trying to be negative, I’m just being honest. IF DEVELOPMENT CONTINUES AT THE CURRENT PACE, THIS GAME WILL STILL NOT BE 50% FEATURE COMPLETE IN 20 YEARS.

Something needs to change. I don’t know what, but something needs to change. I AM NOT KIDDING. Go look at all of the stretch goals and promises. At this pace, 100 systems is over 65 years away.

I’m not telling you to “stop spending money”, or to “ sign petitions to remove C. Roberts from the Project Manager position”, but SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE.

EVERY UPDATE HAS BEEN GUTTED. THIS COMMUNITY NEEDS TO STOP APOLOGIZING FOR THESE CONSTANT DELAYS! CIG NEEDS TO GET IT loving TOGETHER. Stop lying to us and habitually pulling poo poo back. It’s 4 updates now that you all have raped. Time and time again they have pulled everything of substance, and then tried distracting the community with bullshit like new ships for sale, minor improvements, and over promised features.

If this sub cannot get it together, a new community will be needed. Apologists and yes men are killing this project.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm beginning to believe that the Calder "investment" really was a buy out. I'm wondering how much control Chris actually had on paper regarding the Kickstarter money. Was it appropriated to a fund in his name? Or was it more ambigously put into a Corporation?

Perhaps Chris realized he was close to running out of funds and he finally saw the truth that the game was not coming together. The Calders offered an "advertising investment" which really was a buyout of Chris, he gets to stay on as the "head" but is no longer in direct control of CIG or development of the games. This allows him to save face well making his exit, again not unlock Shroud of the Avatar and Richard Garriot but on a larger scale. It would explain the almost complete dissapearance of Chris/Sandy/Erin since the investment.

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 25, 2020

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Popete posted:

I'm beginning to believe that the Calder "investment" really was a buy out. I'm wondering how much control Chris actually had on paper regarding the Kickstarter money. Was it appropriated to a fund in his name? Or was it more ambigously put into a Corporation?

Perhaps Chris realized he was close to running out of funds and he finally saw the truth that the game was not coming together. The Calders offered an "advertising investment" which really was a buyout of Chris, he gets to stay on as the "head" but is no longer in direct control of CIG or development of the games. This allows him to save face well making his exit, again not unlock Shroud of the Avatar and Richard Garriot but on a larger scale. It would explain the almost complete dissapearance of Chris/Sandy/Erin since the investment.

quote:

Citcon 2019
:trustme: "This is, well, this is the end"

He answered the Calder.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

who knows, but its a good bet

if they are trying to release sq42 as a standalone console game, that totally fucks with the whole "no see, its accessed through the same launcher so its the same game under the GLA" shtick they've been pushing for years now

it could also be something like "in the early game design and planning stages, with no substantial progress since 2014."

You're all way overthinking this.

They aren't intentionally delaying anything.

They simply have nothing to release, and won't have for a very long time.

In their quest for fidelity they don't have many basic features even working or even on the roadmap. Half of what they need for SQ42 is on the SC roadmap and not planned for months or even longer.

No idea what the deal is with Calder, but whatever it is, this years i suspect someone is going to be in hot water.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Quavers posted:

The following cards have been added to the Roadmap under the Alpha 3.9 Column:
High Speed Combat: Ship systems will suffer the consequences of traveling at high speed, restricting some of the options that players will have at maximum velocity creating a vulnerability that will push players into engagement at lower speeds.

Does the game perform poorly when dogfighting at high speed?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
maybe they are switching engine for squadron54, aka redo everything, to release on next gen consoles.
and keep lumberyacht/cry for sc.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bumble He posted:

maybe they are switching engine for squadron54, aka redo everything, to release on next gen consoles.
and keep lumberyacht/cry for sc.

That would mean that CIG was flat out lying about Squadron 42 being close to finished for years and they've been squandering tens of millions of dollars jerking off backers since 2015. Would CIG do that? Yes, yes they would

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it really is just a wild guess. but if they did that:

- squeeze the last pennies out of their pu-backers and put it into a complete refactor of squadron 42 on a new engine for the ps5 / xbox-x-one-x 360 (or whatever its called).

- kick roberts out

- then drop the pu

then this could be the calder's cheap entry into the vidjagame market.
but yeah my stuff is not based on any knowledge just blabla.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

I wonder how many characters you can fit in those redacted lines.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Bumble He posted:

it really is just a wild guess. but if they did that:

- squeeze the last pennies out of their pu-backers and put it into a complete refactor of squadron 42 on a new engine for the ps5 / xbox-x-one-x 360 (or whatever its called).

- kick roberts out

- then drop the pu

then this could be the calder's cheap entry into the vidjagame market.
but yeah my stuff is not based on any knowledge just blabla.

If they did that, the CIG name would forever be tainted and they would fail to gain any significant traction because of association with Star Citizen. That would be a dead-end entry into the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

:gbsmith: Keep cool guys. I've seen bigger delays in the last few years, that's harmless. The roadmap is a guarantee for quarter patches, not a feature guarantee. And we get some new features, that's also great. It looks like, SQ42 is still the priority and that's fine.

:gbsmith: Well, it was a big roadmap update... finally got what we asked for. I appreciate you all sharing what you think is possible this year. Don't expect a positive reaction.
I understand your sprint for sq42 causing this major disruption to PU.

:gbsmith: Is this April fools joke or is the company just a joke ?
SQ42 is killing the PU.. simple as that.

:gbsmith: Just ask playerbase if they want the focus on sq42 or PU.

:gbsmith: I rather have no sq42 and have the full force of CIG working on the PU.

:gbsmith: Well there are obviously scrambling to attempt to finish SQ42 this yr for the beta.... Why even bother doing anything with the PU right now. So much stuff removed for who knows how long. Looks like it might be a good year to take a break from SC lol

:gbsmith: sky is falling down because people apparently have forgotten that the priority is on getting sq42 ready and out of the door finally and then being able to just concentrate on the PU but hey. that is what happens if you forget to turn off your selective hearing. at least be entertaining with your rage, will you?

:gbsmith: they said they shifted some resources to sq42 not all of them

:gbsmith: There haven't been any layoffs (that we know of) so I can only attribute this alarming pare down to the possibility that CIG has re-assigned a significant portion of the SC developers to work on SQ42.

:psypop:

Do.. Do they actually think SQ42 is the problem? There were only 2 updates for it and they were both copy/pasted from the PU. There hasn't been progress on chapters in months. Why do they believe this?

The community overwhelmingly voted on a poll to get rid of SQ42, you fudster!