Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean I knew just from the trailers about how the scale of the cats would change regularly but my brain still wasn't prepared to process this one part where some appliances are off in scale like they're on a kitchen counter and there's like three or four different scales happening in one shot. Like this movie has literally mindblowing content in it, just in the worst ways possible.

I just remembered the human-sized top hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Neo Rasa posted:

I was lucky, blessed enough to see the "you see human legs/sneakers now and then and Judi Dench's human hands regularly" iteration of this movie. I keep coming here to post about it because holy poo poo but then not because, like holy poo poo. This fuckin' movie.

I feel the first major challenge faced by the newly-formed cult of CATS will be locating, preserving and making available the original pre-patch version of the film. Hopefully Universal won't make this a Star Wars Special Edition scenario.

I know I won't rest easy until I'm confident every man woman and child is guaranteed equal access to the shittiest possible version of CATS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I feel the first major challenge faced by the newly-formed cult of CATS will be locating, preserving and making available the original pre-patch version of the film. Hopefully Universal won't make this a Star Wars Special Edition scenario.

I know I won't rest easy until I'm confident every man woman and child is guaranteed equal access to the shittiest possible version of CATS.

Speaking of which the lion sculpture at the end was about PS3 quality, please tell me that wasn't final.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Indie Rocktopus posted:

It exists.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which the lion sculpture at the end was about PS3 quality, please tell me that wasn't final.

The trafalgur square lions just kinda look like rendering artifacts irl

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

josh04 posted:

The trafalgur square lions just kinda look like rendering artifacts irl

Incredible how the “this cgi sucks rear end” followed immediately by “it’s a set/location” has spread beyond prequel chat. We’re losing the ability to tell the difference

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DeimosRising posted:

Incredible how the “this cgi sucks rear end” followed immediately by “it’s a set/location” has spread beyond prequel chat. We’re losing the ability to tell the difference

It looked waaaay worse than that in the movie somehow. :wtc:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neo Rasa posted:

It looked waaaay worse than that in the movie somehow. :wtc:

Most of the time a practical set or prop reads as bad CG, it's due to the lighting.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I know I will not rest until the pre-patch version is available to the masses. Seriously, Universal should just accept what CATS has become, and make all versions available for its fans.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Indie Rocktopus posted:

SHATS: The Musical

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sethsez posted:

Most of the time a practical set or prop reads as bad CG, it's due to the lighting.

Yeah, the lighting's really weird in that scene which is meant to be a sunrise.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Did Korea release the pre-patch version??? The other thread thinks so

Is there even a pre-patch version at all? Is it just a PR trick? Did the studios lie about patching anything at all after the bad trailer, just like they seemingly lied about patching out the most embarrassing errors post-release (seeing as how despite that EVERYONE reports that they saw Dench's wedding ring)?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I kind of wonder how the actors felt when they saw that trailer, and the ensuing reaction.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qhdshnmOXE

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I went to a dinky little theater a bit north of Seattle where they charged me only $4 to see the unpatched version of Cats. It was definitely unpatched because it looked way worse than the first time I saw it. A notable issue was that the soundmix was also hosed. This wasn't the theater because everything before the movie was fine.

So yes, bring back the pre-patch visuals but keep the post-patch audio because it's nice to hear what makes Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat the cat of the railway train

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

People wanted to see what a dog looked like and an image occurred to me.

...I might try putting that head onto an LOTR Cave Troll?

Mickey Rourke + Insanity Wolf + Cave Troll seems like the ideal Platonic form of the CATS version of a dog

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 25, 2020

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Dare we dream of a Digital Fur Technology(tm) Photoshop Friday

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 25, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

TTBF posted:

I went to a dinky little theater a bit north of Seattle where they charged me only $4 to see the unpatched version of Cats. It was definitely unpatched because it looked way worse than the first time I saw it. A notable issue was that the soundmix was also hosed. This wasn't the theater because everything before the movie was fine.

So yes, bring back the pre-patch visuals but keep the post-patch audio because it's nice to hear what makes Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat the cat of the railway train

Yeah the mix was insane, channels would just suddenly drop in volume seemingly at random

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

I said the titular line in Cats

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Did Universal even bother sending the patched version out to most theaters? I know the theater I saw it in had the pre-patch version both times I saw it. I assumed that they cut their loss and didn't bother after the first weekend.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
What's the difference between the two versions? Why is the pre-patch better?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Gianthogweed posted:

What's the difference between the two versions? Why is the pre-patch better?

It has multiple unfinished CGI things, like Judi Dench's hands being wholly human and wearing rings, floating bits of animation, human legs, sneakers where (maybe????) there shouldn't be sneakers. It's better because an overall sense of failure is intrinsic to Cats being Cats.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You are seriously over estimating how much can be done with an extra week of work.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Those breakdancing cats were absolutely supposed to be wearing sneakers.
it's like saying Macavity's hat or Skimbleshanks' overalls were oversights.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

If you're talking about the lion sculpture Old Deuteronomy sat on during the "Ad-Dressing of Cats", that was actually built to scale on set, as was most of the set dressing around Cat London.

EDIT: The closeups of Judi Dench in that song were almost certainly greenscreened; given her eyesight issues there's no way she'd be allowed on top of something that precarious.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 25, 2020

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

wyoming posted:

Those breakdancing cats were absolutely supposed to be wearing sneakers.

New thread title?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Les Twins were always supposed the have sneakers yes

It is entirely unknown which other cats were meant to have shoes

Some do some don't that's Cats

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

theenglishman posted:

EDIT: The closeups of Judi Dench in that song were almost certainly greenscreened; given her eyesight issues there's no way she'd be allowed on top of something that precarious.
oh no, that must be how it happened

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

theenglishman posted:

If you're talking about the lion sculpture Old Deuteronomy sat on during the "Ad-Dressing of Cats", that was actually built to scale on set, as was most of the set dressing around Cat London.

Hahaha, I love this Rail Way Wreck of a movie

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Can you ride on a broomstick to places far distant?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

nankeen posted:

oh no, that must be how it happened

Dame Judi Dench suffers from macular degeneration, to the point where scripts need to be read to her and some of her recent roles (see Murder on the Orient Express) have most of her screentime sitting down or not moving.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

TAG TAG TAG TAG

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewCorQyGGo

IT LIVES

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

theenglishman posted:

Dame Judi Dench suffers from macular degeneration, to the point where scripts need to be read to her and some of her recent roles (see Murder on the Orient Express) have most of her screentime sitting down or not moving.
omg imagine her friends delicately trying to describe to her how cats ...turned out

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
"we're not saying it looked... bad, exactly"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

my boy skimbleshanks has a black belt in tap dance fighting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It looks even worse than I remember.

Ror posted:

my boy skimbleshanks has a black belt in tap dance fighting

And it's the most believable part of the scene.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It looks even worse than I remember.

And it's the most believable part of the scene.

i honestly forgot most of it, albeit i was drunk, but still god when you remove the elements back into video form its just so hideous

god its great

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh boy. I hope that’s the unfixed version...