Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bomb posted:

Moving to Montana just south of Glacier to live this out up in my uncle's sweet 100 miles off-the-grid cabin-mansion that uses natural springs to generate electricity.

Also we all hunt so we should be fine.

gonna use drones to drop infected pigs on your uncle's haunted mansion

we're in this together friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC they don't do that much normally.

Like for an N95 mask to work well it needs to have a properly measured fit and it's not exactly comfortable to breathe through when it has a good seal.

Also god help you if you have a beard other than one on the CDC approved mask fittable list!

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2017/11/02/noshave/

I bought a few respirator masks with filter replacements and am fine with saving if it means I don’t die making GBS threads out my guts on some street in China

numberoneposter posted:

seriously its tempting fate and the hubris will get the better of them

like when a guy is gonna propose to his wife by sky diving

god, the universe, whatever hates that poo poo

This is true; I know of someone who took his gf to a hotel with underwater rooms and then he freedived down in front of their room’s window and proposed to her. Then he drowned.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 25, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So went from 830 to 1287 cases and 26 to 41 deaths. That's increases of 55 and 57 percent.

At that rate, in 30 days 659,978,050 will be infected and 30,886,836 will die

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

i am harry posted:

I bought a few respirator masks with filter replacements and am fine with saving if it means I don’t die making GBS threads out my guts on some street in China

This is true; I know of someone who took his gf to a hotel with underwater rooms and then he freedived down in front of their room’s window and proposed to her. Then he drowned.

That was on tv in the news. You knew that guy?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's not good enough I want to see at least 2 more zeroes added to that number on my table, tomorrow :bahgawd:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Guys, I've got some bad news.

Oh stop that you tease

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Guys, I've got some bad news.

This seems like good news?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I've bragged too much about not getting sick yet this winter so I'm definitely getting karma's kiss with this one.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the pig gently caress curse

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shneak posted:

I've bragged too much about not getting sick yet this winter so I'm definitely getting karma's kiss with this one.

gently caress that. Told the pharmacist I worked with the elderly and got the jab for free.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The flu shot should just be free for everyone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

Oh stop that you tease

Well I ran through the scenario in this very complex and expensive virus supercomputer and boom. Them's the results. See ya everyone!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Usually the real complicated dealios have more semantics than just "it's a graph and edges are like ports and stuff". They model the whole spatial effects. The biggest dealios basically look like diffusion limited aggregation in affected peeps, with the aggregations in cities

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1220876309217280005

Latest figures from Chinese state media. 1287 cases, of which 237 in critical condition.

If only a third of the critical cases die, then together with those that are already dead that would give a 10% mortality rate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Usually the real complicated dealios have more semantics than just "it's a graph and edges are like ports and stuff". They model the whole spatial effects. The biggest dealios basically look like diffusion limited aggregation in affected peeps, with the aggregations in cities

That's absolutely not true. The CDC's got a map of the world painted on a gymnasium floor with thousands of mice running about. They infect one watch how it spreads and release the virus in the countries the mice get sick in. It's scientific and poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

facebook is the other tab grandpa

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Definitely don't want to eat burritos before getting a deadly virus.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i’m watching the lunar new year show they air in china on tv with my family and they just went from a pop boy and performance to some sort of segue about the coronavirus. i wish i understood chinese better so i knew what they were saying but the presenters keep saying inspirational sounding things and people keep clapping. some lady just did a fist pump. people clapped.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Doom?
https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDi...mber%3D4%23pti7

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005

Philonius posted:

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1220876309217280005

Latest figures from Chinese state media. 1287 cases, of which 237 in critical condition.

If only a third of the critical cases die, then together with those that are already dead that would give a 10% mortality rate.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

Out of the first 41 confirmed cases 100% had pneumonia and 15% died despite all being hospitalized.

CBT Time fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 25, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
WHO estimate of R0 is 1.5 to 2.5. I think it's just one the upper end of scale. Incubation of 9 days instead of the 4 days the scary R0 paper changes math quite a lot

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CBT Time posted:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

Out of the first 41 confirmed cases 100% had pneumonia and 15% died despite all being hospitalized.
Links hosed.

Also, I hope that ain't true, Christ!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

WHO estimate of R0 is 1.5 to 2.5. I think it's just one the upper end of scale. Incubation of 9 days instead of the 4 days the scary R0 paper changes math quite a lot

The WHO also endorsed TCM.

I don’t really have any faith in the WHO at this point.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
My understanding of that episode was they got successfully bullied into doing it because they don't really care that much, but this is basically their core function. Usual Chinese MO for Taiwan bullshit, but the modeling assumptions are guesses either way

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm not a scientist but gently caress. When a Harvard scientist is like hold on to your pants boys this is gonna be a wild ride, you kind of are inclined to pay attention.

The part where he's like containment will fail is not very reassuring.

He apparently is going off of a dates model that is being revised down to an R0 of 2.5 as more information comes in. That being said that seems far more infectious to that of the regular flu or any other epidemics in the past 100 years.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 25, 2020

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220944303880577024

This would be especially bad since it sounds like people traveling from Wuhan to other countries are basically just checked for symptoms on arrival before being let through.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
This surely won't have any effect on our increasing anti-immigration racism:

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1220876428549296128

He came back to Australia a week ago, I hope his "I just stayed at home with the family" is true.

edit: The article is https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-25/first-confirmed-coronavirus-case-australian-as-china-toll-rises/11900428 but there's not much new in it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220921816279134209

I don't know who this guy is but he seems pretty smart. I try not to be a reactionary but uh... this isn't looking well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm skeptical, people were freaking out about Ebola too and it wasn't that bad outside of Africa. This is also like one dude with 3k followers and doesn't have a checkmark.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm skeptical, people were freaking out about Ebola too and it wasn't that bad outside of Africa. This is also like one dude with 3k followers and doesn't have a checkmark.

Ebola is/was nowhere near contagious as anything flu related.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

TOOT BOOT posted:

I got Ebola and it was pathetic just so weak. I owned the Ebola and moved on. I'm ready to freak the crap out of this one too my tickets for China are ready

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Despera posted:

Ebola is/was nowhere near contagious as anything flu related.

Wasn’t Ebola fluid, not air transmission, and in an isolated poor area?

I’m not freaking yet, but it could be bad for a while for millions of Chinese and others.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ebola was mostly body fluid to body fluid. Smallpox the OG could be caught from someone 300 feet away. Infection rates will vary

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Phew that's a relief good luck everyone else

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

TOOT BOOT posted:

doesn't have a checkmark.

:lol:

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

No checkmark? He may as well be raving in the street then

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Another Bill posted:

Phew that's a relief good luck everyone else

He means ready to die hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Can you really trust someone who doesn't spend all day every day on Twitter and probably spends his day doing science doctor stuff instead?