Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's the deal with time traveling while naked, Kyle reese said only living things could travel through time but the t1000 didnt have any living tissue right?

Misplaced orthodoxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What's the deal with time traveling while naked, Kyle reese said only living things could travel through time but the t1000 didnt have any living tissue right?

Maybe since he came through as a human, it somehow fakes out the machine? Like a microscopic layer of flesh?

I don't know....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFkNvdAZ5Vs

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Reason why I ask is because in Dark Fate, Grace didnt really have a plan for the terminator, she didn't bring any weapons, and she time traveled naked so I guess the rule applied to her? But she knew her power source could kill the terminator. If I were in her shoes you could be drat sure I'd shove like 3 or 4 of those things up my rear end if I knew they'd kill it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's because the concept of a Terminator doesn't really hold that much water outside of an 80s/early 90s context

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I just watched the first terminator a week ago, it still holds up. Then I watched Dark Fate...i though it started out good, but man it really went downhill hard.

Liquid metal was alive. loving gross, but alive

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that is has to be alive is only the understanding that kyle reese had and he admitted he didnt know much about it. plus better terminators probably developed alongside better time displacement equipment

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah Reese didn’t do “tech stuff”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I just watched the first terminator a week ago, it still holds up. Then I watched Dark Fate...i though it started out good, but man it really went downhill hard.

Originally the T-1000 was actually going to be sent through time in some kind of artificially-grown flesh-sack as a way to explain that, the post-hoc handwave is that the nanomachines that make up the T-1000 and other similar Terminators are able to "mimic" the field generated by living tissue and can fool the time machine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Eh, I was close.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Here's my take: Terminator is a good-rear end movie, everyone

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Shocking the entire crowd here by leaning in close to the microphone and saying "I like Terminator 2"

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I saw this movie called "Aliens" yesterday, anyone had a chance to see it yet? If you have, thoughts?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I wanna play the bad aliens video game with goons, we really oughtta set that up some day

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beet Wagon posted:

I wanna play the bad aliens video game with goons, we really oughtta set that up some day
poo poo, I'm down.

There's a fan-overhaul mod that apparently radically alters the game: https://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

:same:

I was asking about it quite a while ago and there were like 2 other people that were down. I don't remember who though.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So what's the opinion of folks about the derelict or others of it's kind being either constructed, grown or a little of both? We know it's tough, if one takes Prometheus into account the drat thing can take another ship crashing into it at great speed only to explode and the alien craft will show no outward damage. It got knocked back planetside but if actually damaged or not isn't exactly clear.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think the nature of Giger’s artwork implies a mixture of both grown and constructed, on some level. Like it’s an inherent contradiction, but I think that’s kind of the point (and what makes the Derelict and Alien so weird and unearthly).

As for durability, the Derelict has taken visible damage between ‘Alien’ and ‘Aliens’ - the right side prong is snapped. According to James Cameron this was supposed to have been caused by a lava flow, and was his way of explaining why the Derelict’s signal stopped broadcasting between the two movies.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I thought I read somewhere that the derelict is built out of fossilized Alien corpses in some way? They used their bodies to construct the walls

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Xenomrph posted:

I think the nature of Giger’s artwork implies a mixture of both grown and constructed, on some level. Like it’s an inherent contradiction, but I think that’s kind of the point (and what makes the Derelict and Alien so weird and unearthly).

As for durability, the Derelict has taken visible damage between ‘Alien’ and ‘Aliens’ - the right side prong is snapped. According to James Cameron this was supposed to have been caused by a lava flow, and was his way of explaining why the Derelict’s signal stopped broadcasting between the two movies.

I had the theory that all the bits that look 'grown' on the derelict are the resin from the xenos, like how they've basically terraformed the reactor in Aliens to be completely made of their grody alien wall textures. like they were part-way through doing that to the Derelict maybe. But I havent like studied the blueprints or w/e, so that could be implausible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was asking about it quite a while ago and there were like 2 other people that were down. I don't remember who though.
Me. I am down

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sjs00 posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the derelict is built out of fossilized Alien corpses in some way? They used their bodies to construct the walls

In the comics, they’ll use Alien body parts in conjunction with their resin to build freestanding hives.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Xenomrph posted:

In the comics, they’ll use Alien body parts in conjunction with their resin to build freestanding hives.

Fuckin metal

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sjs00 posted:

Fuckin metal

It has the added side effect of helping the Aliens blend into the walls of the hive via natural camouflage, for obvious reasons.

Fun fact: in the original script for Alien, the characters who explore the surface of the planet (ending in Kane getting facehugged) were supposed to visit two locations - the Derelict with its dead pilot, and an extraterrestrial pyramid or “egg silo” that contained the eggs. These got condensed into one location for budget and time purposes, but HR Giger still did concept art for the egg silo before the idea was scrapped.

Later comic books repurposed his concept art and used it to depict what a free-standing Alien hive looks like, as opposed to a hive built into an existing structure like we see in ‘Aliens’.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Code Jockey posted:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

It has the added side effect of helping the Aliens blend into the walls of the hive via natural camouflage, for obvious reasons.

Fun fact: in the original script for Alien, the characters who explore the surface of the planet (ending in Kane getting facehugged) were supposed to visit two locations - the Derelict with its dead pilot, and an extraterrestrial pyramid or “egg silo” that contained the eggs. These got condensed into one location for budget and time purposes, but HR Giger still did concept art for the egg silo before the idea was scrapped.

Later comic books repurposed his concept art and used it to depict what a free-standing Alien hive looks like, as opposed to a hive built into an existing structure like we see in ‘Aliens’.

Its the Harkonnen fortress from Dune

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So, I know a while ago I linked my discord, which goons use for playing Mechwarrior Online and I think at least one or two people joined, but if we wanna try and coordinate an AVP night there's an "AVP Goons" role already people can sign up for and we can make somethin happen

https://discord.gg/7ZEE4eW

(It's a pretty quiet server, no drama/no politics, and I know at least a handful of my IRL friends will play with us cause I bought them all the games and made them play a couple months ago)

If you're interested follow the link, accept the rules, and then click the little alien picture to give yourselves the AVP Goons role

e: AVP 2010 is $2.99 or $4.79 with the DLC for the next 40 hours, get it and let's play this dumbass gamehttps://store.steampowered.com/app/10680/Aliens_vs_Predator/

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 26, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

That was smart anyway. The Derelict is creepy but intriguing. I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to enter that Hive and expect to live long.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I know a while ago I linked my discord, which goons use for playing Mechwarrior Online and I think at least one or two people joined, but if we wanna try and coordinate an AVP night there's an "AVP Goons" role already people can sign up for and we can make somethin happen

https://discord.gg/7ZEE4eW

(It's a pretty quiet server, no drama/no politics, and I know at least a handful of my IRL friends will play with us cause I bought them all the games and made them play a couple months ago)

If you're interested follow the link, accept the rules, and then click the little alien picture to give yourselves the AVP Goons role

e: AVP 2010 is $2.99 or $4.79 with the DLC for the next 40 hours, get it and let's play this dumbass gamehttps://store.steampowered.com/app/10680/Aliens_vs_Predator/

I joined! I just uninstalled AvP again because I have a 250gb ssd on my laptop and I'm too lazy to get another. So if we play I'll have to do some housekeeping. I believe there are 2 other people who mentioned they want to play. And there were others months ago but who knows about that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I joined! I just uninstalled AvP again because I have a 250gb ssd on my laptop and I'm too lazy to get another. So if we play I'll have to do some housekeeping. I believe there are 2 other people who mentioned they want to play. And there were others months ago but who knows about that.

Right on. For anybody curious both AvP 2010 and Colonial Marines are on sale for cheap right now and they both had surprisingly good multiplayer (no promises on the campaign for colonial marines, but I'll totally play through it with someone who wants to do the 4 player co op thing)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Terminator and Terminator 2 were bloody lovely. 3rd, 4th and 5th were poo poo. Haven’t seen the most recent, but I assume it’s utter bollocks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It is arguably the least awful of the sequels after judgement day but just as completely unnecessary.

I do have to just marvel at how hard they went with that cold open, for better or worse.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I haven't seen the last two. I don't think. The ones I've seen are 3, Salvation, only parts of the one with John as a machine while drunk, and that's it. I kinda liked 3 but only after maybe 3 viewings of it while on TV.

One and two were masterpieces.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's a shame Robocop didn't get a proper sequel like Alien and The Terminator, it's watchable but a huge drop-off.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The terminator movie with Sam Fisher and Batman was a little but entertaining but all the others (apart from the first two obviously) fuckin suuuuuuuucked. And I thought of Aliens again

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Might watch aliens later

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Might watch aliens later

You probably should.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

You probably should.

I like but my go to is the thing tbh

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Which game was this?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I like but my go to is the thing tbh

I believe this is an acceptable alternative.

The Thing is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

Which game was this?

AvP 2010. It's just called Aliens vs Predator. I hate when they do that.