Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Xander77 posted:

Homosexuality. I think you're conflating two separate issues he has.

No, that's something different. I only got the other one on one of my runs, I think you have to start arguing with him about the legitimacy of the commune or something. Might require high encyclopedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oxxidation posted:

you are not. you can attempt to leave during the dream, and Volition, like all of your other skills, fail you

You can get out with minimal interaction. If you try to leave immediately, you can't, but you don't have to kiss her or keep pleading with her over and over, etc.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Broken Cog posted:

No, that's something different. I only got the other one on one of my runs, I think you have to start arguing with him about the legitimacy of the commune or something. Might require high encyclopedia.

What I got from that was when he says 'pederasty' he actually means homosexuality. Conflating the two is not only common in homophobic circles (old-timey ones in particular), 'pederast/pedophile' is literally the go-to slur against gay people in a lot of France, which is what Revachol is mostly based on. The commune legalizing 'pederasty' would match the historical equivalent of the bolsheviks decriminalizing homosexuality. The deserter is a really interesting character, but he's also kind of a bigoted piece of poo poo. He hates capital, as we all should, but he also hates women, gay people, young people, old people, foreigners, Revacholians, and anyone who kept living as he had to deal with his entire world being artillery-bombed into a mass grave while he slowly steamed in his own guilt, grief and bug drugs.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

SexyBlindfold posted:

What I got from that was when he says 'pederasty' he actually means homosexuality. Conflating the two is not only common in homophobic circles (old-timey ones in particular), 'pederast/pedophile' is literally the go-to slur against gay people in a lot of France, which is what Revachol is mostly based on. The commune legalizing 'pederasty' would match the historical equivalent of the bolsheviks decriminalizing homosexuality. The deserter is a really interesting character, but he's also kind of a bigoted piece of poo poo. He hates capital, as we all should, but he also hates women, gay people, young people, old people, foreigners, Revacholians, and anyone who kept living as he had to deal with his entire world being artillery-bombed into a mass grave while he slowly steamed in his own guilt, grief and bug drugs.

Yeah I honestly think he's pretty sympathetically portrayed but he's also a broken man who could never get past the failure of the revolution and stewed in prejudices that he never shook or properly examined (for all that he talks about self-criticism).

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Xanderkish posted:

The most loyal and "idealistic" person in the game is a direct cause of the game's problems.

Mr. Dick would contend that the direct cause of the game's problems was Wild Pines sending a death squad in to break up a strike.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

What kind of build would be best for a hardcore run?

I was thinking 2 4 4 2 with my focus in encyclopedia in order to get the extra exp from Wompty Dompty Dom Center as soon as possible and without talking to Joyce in the meantime. Also those stats a good buffer for health and moarale, and pick other thoughts to increase my PSY, INT, MOT and END through their respective paths.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'd go 5 3 2 2 - Having a high base int lets you go for early Art Cop then Womp for maximum nerd power. That + communism will get you the most xp, but Ultra-Liberal will get you money so that's worth considering. With the xp bonuses you can pump up your weaknesses. If you invest early in Volition and Endurance you'll be fine.

Not sure what I'd make signature. Maybe volition or endurance, but I'd also see just tagging Conceptualization so it's at 6 to start for maximum art power.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mr. Dick posted:

Mr. Dick would contend that the direct cause of the game's problems was Wild Pines sending a death squad in to break up a strike.

I would say its the Union using the drug trade to fund a hostile takeover disguised as a labour strike.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's the Moralintern's fault for not securing self-governance, prosperity, and effective law enforcement in Ravenchol

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Folks, it's obviously Dolores Dei's fault.

Or possibly Franconegro's...? I don't know. That book test was hard.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Any communist born after '02 can't do revolution, all they know is how to join homosexual underground, eat salami and lie

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Skellybones posted:

Any communist born after '02 can't do revolution, all they know is how to join homosexual underground, eat salami and lie

They can have a little salami, as a treat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is Harry a Himbo?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Harry is sometimes extremely intelligent, so no.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Nah, even if you go 1 1 5 5 idiot savant his hands, dick, and the alien presence are all pretty smart.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you go 1/1/1/1, then Harry can barely recognize his keys.

Also, who are the people who think Harry is handsome? Lena, for sure. Measurehead, hard maybe?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Caufman posted:

Also, who are the people who think Harry is handsome? Lena, for sure. Measurehead, hard maybe?

Lilienne at the very least is willing to give Harry the time of day, and the balcony smoker seems to be partial to Harry in a "meat deli guy to Bob Belcher" kind of way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

They can have a little salami, as a treat.

LITTLE A GODDAMNIT IT'S LITTLE A SALAMI I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS MAKES ME SO MAD BUT IT DOES

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
But it's supposed to be in the tone of an advice columnist and not an Italian stereotype?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Entorwellian posted:

What kind of build would be best for a hardcore run?

I was thinking 2 4 4 2 with my focus in encyclopedia in order to get the extra exp from Wompty Dompty Dom Center as soon as possible and without talking to Joyce in the meantime.
Not at all. You want to get both thoughts from Joyce without exploring the rest of her dialog options asap.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Dick posted:

But it's supposed to be in the tone of an advice columnist and not an Italian stereotype?
The typo is what made it memorable... it sticks out in your mind.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caufman posted:

me

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Lilienne at the very least is willing to give Harry the time of day, and the balcony smoker seems to be partial to Harry in a "meat deli guy to Bob Belcher" kind of way.

I have this shivering feeling that there exist Harry people, Kim people, and Harry-Kim people.

And Harry Kim people.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Caufman posted:

And Harry Kim people.

Electrochemistry: THERE'S COFFEE IN THAT NEBULA!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly, with the extra exp rewards, Hardcore might be the way to play this game - so far, it doesn't seem like the passive tests are increased, though I only played Whirling-in-Rags. This means you'll be getting more points overall, and can invest in more skills. Which are most of the content in the game.

What are the fastest ways to get Art Cop and Wompty Dompty?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

dex_sda posted:

Honestly, with the extra exp rewards, Hardcore might be the way to play this game - so far, it doesn't seem like the passive tests are increased, though I only played Whirling-in-Rags. This means you'll be getting more points overall, and can invest in more skills. Which are most of the content in the game.

Wompty Dompty: You get that talking to the guy and his kid at the Feld Building, so it's post-bridge repair

Speaking of Wompty Dompty, (endgame spoiler) Given that the guy who tells you about it knows you've got amnesia, I do wonder if he just made it up to gently caress with you.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

dex_sda posted:

Wompty Dompty can't be done until day 3, when you can beeline it to the abandoned factory, west of the map Art Cop you just have to keep saying art responses when they come up in dialogue.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah I was hoping to see where best to go to get the art responses. Probably the statue, the wall, Cindy, try to do poetry with the truck driver... struggle to think of more.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I've never played Planescape Torment, but this thread has brought it up loads, and I just found out that it's on the Switch, along with Icewind Dale, which I've never heard of. Is it worth playing now, having never played it, or any old RPG like that? Obviously I love Disco Elysium, but yeah, I'm looking for stuff like it now that I've beaten Disco Elysium. Edit: Oh and there's Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but again, haven't played them, have no idea what any of them are like.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Imhotep posted:

I've never played Planescape Torment, but this thread has brought it up loads, and I just found out that it's on the Switch, along with Icewind Dale, which I've never heard of. Is it worth playing now, having never played it, or any old RPG like that? Obviously I love Disco Elysium, but yeah, I'm looking for stuff like it now that I've beaten Disco Elysium. Edit: Oh and there's Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but again, haven't played them, have no idea what any of them are like.

Planescape Torment is closest to Disco Elysium. Icewind Dale does have a good story but it's less about choice and all about combat, and you probably wouldn't like it as much.
The Baldur's Gate series is half and half.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Imhotep posted:

Planescape is compared continually to Disco Elysium for very good reasons. That being said, it is bogged down a bit by some outdated RPG mechanics, primarily with combat. For me, it's not a deal breaker, and I've played it several times already.

It's also less about topics like politics and mental illness and more about subverting RPG tropes, but I still think the quality of writing is top-notch and gripping.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Arcanum is also worth touching, if only for the labour disputes. Donn Throgg is a hero of the working class, death to the borgoise Gilbert Bates!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Caufman posted:

I have this shivering feeling that there exist Harry people, Kim people, and Harry-Kim people.

And Harry Kim people.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caufman posted:

And Harry Kim people.

https://twitter.com/theyoungdoyler/status/1216602797287841793?s=19

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

(frankly I think Kim deserves better though. even if you do everything right Harry's still a big hot mess who probably needs to work on himself for a while before getting involved with anyone. Fisherwoman has the right idea)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Also it would be highly inappropriate for a superior officer to date a subordinate.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Professionally, Kim's doesn't seem to (potentially) have had a better partner in a while.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Harry X Getting His poo poo Together OTP

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Fascist Harry clearly only has eyes for one love, and that is the racist mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Did anyone else keep the racist mug?

If you have it when you talk to Racist Lorry Driver, Measurehead, or Gary you can ask them "Hey, is this your mug?" and they get all mad, it's hilarious. You can also discover that it fits in perfectly in a empty spot in Gary's apartment, I think he does eventually admit that it's his.