Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't have the issues in front of me but is there any non-political reason that the 5 couldn't bring back humans as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It feels like it could if there's a way for Cerebro to store a human's mental state or whatever the whole soul-y thing was, but that's just me spitballing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I hope we see Namor killed in another book and find out he's a priority resurrection.

I feel like I haven't seen him since Aaron introduced his new team in Avengers. But he's one of the coolest mutants

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Nevvy Z posted:

I hope we see Namor killed in another book and find out he's a priority resurrection.

I feel like I haven't seen him since Aaron introduced his new team in Avengers. But he's one of the coolest mutants

Was Zdarsky's Invaders before or after that? He was pretty darn central to that title, at least while I was still reading it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A Grek Pak Atlantis Attacks thing just came out this week! It's pretty good if you're a Grek Pak fan but if you're not it does use a lot of his favorite characters and is kind of an insular thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't have the issues in front of me but is there any non-political reason that the 5 couldn't bring back humans as well?

I don't think Hickman ever explicitly said they couldn't. I've been wondering if that's going to be a plot point once somebody outside of Krakoa figures out the whole resurrection thing.

Nevvy Z posted:

Namor's recent behavior isn't gonna to mesh too well with Krakoa's no killing humans law.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

graybook posted:

Was Zdarsky's Invaders before or after that? He was pretty darn central to that title, at least while I was still reading it.

That was actually the first book to mention Krakoa outside of House of X/Powers of X.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Xavier/Cerebro isn't actively backing up human brains. But if Xavier decided to pick a few humans to do that to, I don't see why they couldn't bring one back.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It's possible that since Cerebro has always been designed to find - and it's now been revealed/retconned to record as well - mutants that there could be some comic book handwavium bullshit reason why it can't create perfect copies of human minds.

No, I don't know why that would be, but then I don't know how it could be a Perfect X-Gene Detector That Also Copies Brains either, so who the hell knows

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It's hard to imagine there being a technical reason, it makes sense for it to "just" be an ideology thing. And something that could be questioned by even Krakoan citizens at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Laughing Zealot posted:

It's hard to imagine there being a technical reason, it makes sense for it to "just" be an ideology thing. And something that could be questioned by even Krakoan citizens at some point.

I don't want to say Hickman planned for everything, but one of the new books has Northstar on the team and in interviews the writer mentioned he's got his human husband living in Krakoa with him and the resurrection protocols don't apply to humans.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

He popped up in Immortal Hulk recently, that would be good a place as any for him to get smushed

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine you could extend the project out to humans, but it seems like the Krakoan population now is in the tens of thousands, and their goal is to leverage this to bring back about sixteen million, so humans would probably be several stages outwards. I could totally see humans complaining that they didn't immediately prioritize humans and using that as an excuse for the next murder fiesta, though!

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It would be funny if Nova/Richard Rider showed up out of the blue on Krakoa absolutely livid and screaming about his experience dealing with unlimited life.

Gymer
May 30, 2012

IUG posted:

I don't remember the exact way that mutants are brought back, but I thought it was just the 5's powers, starting with Goldballs' balls. I didn't think there was any Krakoa involved.

Krakoa is indeed uninvolved in the actual resurrection process other than providing the storage facility for the eggs in the Arbor Magna as far as I know. IIRC Egg makes the eggs, Proteus makes them viable, the mutants genetic material is injected for Elixir to form into a new body, Tempus uses her powers to fast forward the growth of the new body and Hope synergizes all of their efforts and powers so that the process is actually successful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did Goldballs change his name?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Did Goldballs change his name?

I mean, yes technically but c'mon Fabio, you're Goldballs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Egg is literally the first thing I would come up with if someone asked me for a worse name than Goldballs.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gymer posted:

Tempus uses her powers to fast forward the growth of the new body

Didn't really think about it before, but I wonder if Tempus is really technically necessary for the process to work? Without her, would it just take a long time, or would the genetic material spoil or fail to come together?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Didn't really think about it before, but I wonder if Tempus is really technically necessary for the process to work? Without her, would it just take a long time, or would the genetic material spoil or fail to come together?

If it works without Tempus you either have to wait at least 15 to 30 some odd years or have Cable running a constant daycare service in a post apocalyptic future.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't know if they're getting reborn from a fetus state. I figured it was basically brainless adult clones that get the appropriate memories plugged into them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I don't know if they're getting reborn from a fetus state. I figured it was basically brainless adult clones that get the appropriate memories plugged into them.

Tempus is there to age the body and give them time to process the memories. You want a brand new baby with all of Cyclops powers and memories and poo poo in it. And even then it'd probably take at least 9 months.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They keep husks on hand for some people though. They explained the bottleneck in an issue.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Egg is literally the first thing I would come up with if someone asked me for a worse name than Goldballs.

What, is he funny or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Goldball's name change to Egg will only be good if he's killed, brought back, but something goes wrong.

"No Xavier, what you have here is a BAD EGG!" To be continued!..

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Skwirl posted:

If it works without Tempus you either have to wait at least 15 to 30 some odd years or have Cable running a constant daycare service in a post apocalyptic future.

Take my money.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kingtheninja posted:

I might have missed the discussion but I was a little surprised at how marauders ended. I didn't expect shaw to make a move so quickly, any theories on what our fearless pirate captain will do?

I'm a touch unclear if the vines were blocking her powers entirely, but doesn't Kate explicitly not need to breathe? It's one of the knock-on effects from all the times she's been trapped phased.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Tempus is there to age the body and give them time to process the memories. You want a brand new baby with all of Cyclops powers and memories and poo poo in it. And even then it'd probably take at least 9 months.

Didn't Tempus' powers age her or am I confusing somebody?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

That's Velocidad who has super speed but it ages him using it.

Tempus got older but that was because she went to the future and lived there for a bit before coming back to the past.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

IIRC what happened was she pushed herself too hard while training and was lost in time for several years, so when she came out she was significantly older than when she went in. There was a whole arc I believe about her hopping and bopping around different periods meeting like, the legitimately cool idea of Sorceress Supreme Magik for instance.

I should note that she also had the truly wild ability to go back in time and prevent peoples' parents from meeting, which she used to resolve some issue with a super powerful mutant, and threatened to do to Cyclops of all people. Which seems like a power that would have been of some interest to Moira X but hey, eggs are also important.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 26, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1221634834956603398?s=19

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

Let me offer you one of these in this trying time.

Also when was the last time we even saw Tempus before this The Five stuff? I always thought she was really interesting, but I'm a sucker for a "made the best of a hosed up situation, only to have that all ripped away from me" sort of story. It wasn't that different than TNG's "The Inner Light", what happened with her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So, uhm?

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1221900689573601280?s=19

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Okay, so!

At the end of Gwenpool Strikes Back she has a heart to heart with Kamala about how her meta-powers means she's constantly aware that her existence will end the second she becomes popular. Kamala theorizes she has faked the whole "from the real world thing" accidentally as a subconscious way of dealing with mutant reality-warping powers manifesting. Gwen has a breakdown and agrees with Kamala that, yes, she made it all up. She's really a mutant.

...Except she knows that was bullshit and just wanted to leave Kamala feeling satisfied that she successfully solved all of her problems. As she heads back into her fourth wall space to await oblivion, she finds a Krakoa gate. She accidentally retconned her origin enough to actually make herself a mutant, even if she's aware that she's not.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The fact that it then cuts to one of those HoXPoX infographic pages right after is just perfect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leah Williams (writer of Gwenpool Strikes Back) is going to be the new writer for X-Factor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, fine, I guess I'll buy the last two issues of that series.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I still maintain that her Gwenpool is abnormally bad compared to the rest of her work (which I've otherwise loved) but yeah, the last issue in particular does a fair amount of work to justify the rest of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

I still maintain that her Gwenpool is abnormally bad compared to the rest of her work (which I've otherwise loved) but yeah, the last issue in particular does a fair amount of work to justify the rest of it.

And honestly once the latest issue of Excalibur dropped it made the whole run up click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate that I missed there was a new Gwenpool series. I'm not sure how that happened. I guess I must have missed that previews or something?
And now this? What the hell?

Anyways, why do they keep bring Shaw back into the fold? He always betrays everyone for his own goals. Unless this is some masterful manipulation by Emma.