Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Medullah posted:

So the data is all in one column? Or are the other columns included?

It is all in one column, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ariong posted:

Okay, I am having another problem with Excel. This one is so baffling and Google simply is not helping. So I have a column full of numbers and I want to make a line chart. Every guide tells me to select the column, go to Insert > Charts > Line and pick the chart you want, and you'll get it. Okay, so I do that and...

Why is that even an option???? Anyway if I had to guess I would say that the program is somehow not recognizing the numbers as numbers, but I already used Format Cells to change all these cells to the Number format. So I'm at a loss. Again, Google isn't helping. The search "excel chart all numbers go in title" or similar only turns up results for how to give a chart a title. Has anyone dealt with this before? Also, let me know if this isn't the right place for this.
Excel's "I automatically fill out everything for you" system behaves a bit weird at times.

If you just want to create a line chart. Under Insert, select a Line chart. You'll get an empty chart field in your sheet.
Right click on the empty chart. Go to Select Data and add a new series.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i feel like this is effectively asking to DL a computer virus but..

is there a task manager that i can use that, idk, scales w my screen resolution?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What does "scales with my screen resolution" mean? The regular task manager does that.

Alternatively, there's stuff like Process Monitor: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

i feel like this is effectively asking to DL a computer virus but..

is there a task manager that i can use that, idk, scales w my screen resolution?

click the more details button?

there are alternatives that can replace the built-in task manager but IMHO that's a bad idea. task manager has special fences around it in modern windows and I wouldn't trust a replacement to have the same level of protections.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cleaning and consolidating my music collection and I have some .m4p files from way back in the days of iTunes that don't play nice with other cloud services. What's the best way to convert those into .mp3 or something more usable that won't secretly turn my computer into a bitcoin mining rig?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I always use foobar2000 to convert and tag files; it's a music manager, but works great for that purpose as well. Also, the only thing you should ever rip and convert music to is FLAC (well, unless you're into apple devices).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lambert posted:

I always use foobar2000 to convert and tag files; it's a music manager, but works great for that purpose as well. Also, the only thing you should ever rip and convert music to is FLAC (well, unless you're into apple devices).

Apparently Foobar2000 doesn't support .m4p!
E: Neither does VLC, not sure why I didn't try that first.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 25, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

Apparently Foobar2000 doesn't support .m4p!

.m4p is copy-protected AAC; they should play in foobar2000 if you've played them in itunes on the same PC before. No clue whether it can convert them, though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Breaking m4ps open is a bit of a pain these days. If you can redownload them with iTunes/ have access to the iTunes account that purchased them, there is a way to use an older version of iTunes (10.7 I believe) with a Windows app called Requiem to redownload and strip the DRM off.

If you don't have access to the iTunes account that purchased them and you just have the m4ps themselves, you might be screwed. I believe those files were tied to the device + account somehow and they may be unrecoverable on a different machine.

e: comedy 2003 option - burn them to a CD and re-rip :D

e2: or use line-out?!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

Breaking m4ps open is a bit of a pain these days. If you can redownload them with iTunes/ have access to the iTunes account that purchased them, there is a way to use an older version of iTunes (10.7 I believe) with a Windows app called Requiem to redownload and strip the DRM off.

If you don't have access to the iTunes account that purchased them and you just have the m4ps themselves, you might be screwed. I believe those files were tied to the device + account somehow and they may be unrecoverable on a different machine.

e: comedy 2003 option - burn them to a CD and re-rip :D

e2: or use line-out?!

Last time I had iTunes installed was one, maybe two machines ago. Beans.

What's line-out?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

C-Euro posted:

What's line-out?

Using the line out port of your soundcard to output an unamplified signal into the line in port, play the track, and record it with your computer.

Basically rerecords the audio at 1x speed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So does Apple not let people who bought music from them re-download in whatever format they currently support?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Klyith posted:

So does Apple not let people who bought music from them re-download in whatever format they currently support?

You had to pay, and eventually they removed the option to pay. Now the only way is to subscribe to iTunes Match.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

Yes, if you've purchased music from Apple at any point you can access the purchased songs in Music.app (or iTunes on Windows/older macOS versions) as part of your library if you sign in. If they aren't in your library for some reason, they're in a "Purchased Music" section in the iTunes Store, which still technically exists even on Catalina and you can download them from there.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lambert posted:

What does "scales with my screen resolution" mean? The regular task manager does that.

Alternatively, there's stuff like Process Monitor: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I assume you mean process explorer? Process monitor is an event logger. Process explorer is task manager but with much more info.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

So does Apple not let people
Usually.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dylan16807 posted:

I assume you mean process explorer? Process monitor is an event logger. Process explorer is task manager but with much more info.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Yep, Process Explorer, not Monitor.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I just got a fancy new keyboard and it has a set of keys in the top right that control volume and launch the calculator. However, I use desktop speakers, so I control the volume with a knob, so I don't really have a use for a few of these.

I'd like to rebind the volume keys to do something useful, like lock the screen. I have a Razor mouse, so I have their software installed. Is there a straightforward way to do this with that software or something built in? I know some people on Steam are having ban issues with remapping and automation software, so I don't want to end up in that bucket.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SharpKeys is a front end for the native way, which otherwise would be manually editing the registry.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FunOne posted:

I just got a fancy new keyboard and it has a set of keys in the top right that control volume and launch the calculator. However, I use desktop speakers, so I control the volume with a knob, so I don't really have a use for a few of these.

I'd like to rebind the volume keys to do something useful, like lock the screen. I have a Razor mouse, so I have their software installed. Is there a straightforward way to do this with that software or something built in? I know some people on Steam are having ban issues with remapping and automation software, so I don't want to end up in that bucket.

Dunno about Razor stuff, but this just applies keyboard mappings to your registry, so you run it only one time: http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html

The keys must send plain ol' keyboard signals for this to work. If it needs a special driver or something, probably won't work.

e:fb

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it says the keyboard is sending a key combo it doesn't understand. Weird, since there was no driver for this keyboard and Windows 10 seems to understand what to do natively. Razor apparently wont do any thing unless I bought a Razor keyboard or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Razor's software is terrible.

The best way to make keys to do anything with media or advanced functions is with autohotkey. Here is a script to do what you want:
code:
#InstallKeybdHook
Return
Volume_Mute:
Sleep, 200
DllCall("LockWorkStation")
Return
Rebinding the windows keyboard map like that registry tool is good if you want to have a dvorak layout from a normal US keyboard, or remap the caps lock to something useful. But they can't do something like remap a media key to ctrl+shift+\ or something to be a useful shortcut key.

FunOne posted:

I know some people on Steam are having ban issues with remapping and automation software, so I don't want to end up in that bucket.

Steam itself does not care about macro software or anything else you run on your PC. Some games on steam do. Some types of crappy cheat-detection straight up ban for running autohotkey because if you really want to you can make a bot in autohokey. (It's incredibly stupid compared to writing a piece of real software, but it can work.) Blizzard has been known to do this, so if you need another reason to avoid bliz these days...

VVV e: oh good. at one point they were doing that, but they were also scanning your pc for installed cheat software as well. glad they've reigned it in.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 25, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You won't be banned for regular autohotkey scripts by Blizzard, but if you're running advanced macros that automate playing the game, that's a risk. Don't know how it is with other games.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 25, 2020

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help. I'm still paranoid that this is going to cause issues with games like PUBG. I ended up remapping the calculator to lock and using volume up and down to change virtual desktops. I then replaced the clunky Razor software keybinds for switching desktops with mouse listeners.

code:
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook
Return

Launch_App2::
Sleep, 200
DllCall("LockWorkStation")
Return

Volume_Down::#^Left
Xbutton2::#^Left

Volume_Up::#^Right
XButton1::#^Right

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Following from last pages AV chat:

Is Malwarebytes still a thing people use, or is it like every other AV?

C-Euro posted:

Cleaning and consolidating my music collection and I have some .m4p files from way back in the days of iTunes that don't play nice with other cloud services. What's the best way to convert those into .mp3 or something more usable that won't secretly turn my computer into a bitcoin mining rig?

Can you not just download them in mp3 format from somewhere. legally, of course.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 29, 2020

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Quick question for the windows gods: can a windows server 2012 r2 key be used to activate a windows server 2019 fresh install? The 2012 key has never be used to activate anything. On that note, I also have another 2012 r2 key but that one has been used, can it be used to activate anything else if I migrate that server over?

Thanks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Quick question for the windows gods: can a windows server 2012 r2 key be used to activate a windows server 2019 fresh install? The 2012 key has never be used to activate anything. On that note, I also have another 2012 r2 key but that one has been used, can it be used to activate anything else if I migrate that server over?

Thanks.

No, those keys are for the specific release of windows server they came with. You need an enterprise support agreement with Microsoft for an old license to give you an upgrade entitlement to the current release, and at that point your licensing is handled by a KMS server that you load your licenses on and the servers get the dummy KMS client activation key.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Thanks!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

A Grand Egg posted:

Following from last pages AV chat:

Is Malwarebytes still a thing people use, or is it like every other AV?

I'd only use it if I thought that a device was actively infected with something that Windows Defender didn't catch, then uninstall it after running a scan.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If the device is actually infected with something, you should set it up fresh. No way to ever trust an installation that was infected with a virus.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just installed Win 10 Pro yesterday. Are there any adjustments I need to make to optimize it?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Professor Shark posted:

I just installed Win 10 Pro yesterday. Are there any adjustments I need to make to optimize it?

Not really. But some things I always do (use the group policy method on these things, not the reg files):

Disable the lock screen (the slide-up thing, not the password entry screen)
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6567-enable-disable-lock-screen-windows-10-a.html

Disable aero shake (shaking a title bar minimizes all windows, easy to activate accidentally):
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4417-enable-disable-aero-shake-windows-10-a.html

Detect and block potentially unwanted applications
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus

Enable network protection
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-network-protection

And, most important of all, increase the mouse cursor size. Larger cursor = increased happiness.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 30, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

There's some sort of Win10 decrapifier program I remember using a little while back to turn off the annoying poo poo and telemetry but I forget the name of it. Maybe someone else will chime in with that

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Don't use any of those programs, go through the privacy settings manually and uninstall all the programs you don't want in the start menu. Using "decrapifiers" can only cause problems down the line.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Lambert posted:

Don't use any of those programs, go through the privacy settings manually and uninstall all the programs you don't want in the start menu. Using "decrapifiers" can only cause problems down the line.

Even Shutup10?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

namlosh posted:

Even Shutup10?

I remember an earlier version of Shutup10 accidentally disabling Windows Update completely on Enterprise versions of Windows 10 (it changed a setting disabling telemetry - including updates - that was ignored on Home and Pro). I really don't trust any of these programs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lambert posted:

Cool, I did this. I can't believe how many backgroud apps and stuff were set to run in the background

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

cage-free egghead posted:

There's some sort of Win10 decrapifier program I remember using a little while back to turn off the annoying poo poo and telemetry but I forget the name of it. Maybe someone else will chime in with that

O&O ShutUp! 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My folks are on Windows 8.1 and their SSD is running out of space.

I'm going to upgrade them to larger storage at some point but for now is there a program that I can run that will tell me what folders/items are eating up all the space? Something that helps me easily identify what I can delete to free up more room for now.