Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
’Defcon’ is a cool term, people should say the virus is ”been upgraded to defcon 3”

Son of Rodney posted:

this will never, ever happen because those masks do absolute nothing and are stupid as gently caress

you will continue to look like a psychopath, rightfully so

You sound like one of those guys entering a crowded bus with a hobo lung disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Masks make you look cool like a mysterious ninja, cover up your :wmwink: and all in all are a great fashion accessory. I wouldn't be found dead (from Wuhan Flu) without my mask :colbert:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Wild Horses posted:

’Defcon’ is a cool term, people should say the virus is ”been upgraded to defcon 3”

You sound like one of those guys entering a crowded bus with a hobo lung disease

me, a raving lunatic standing at the corner of the street: "wash your hands people!""don't go outside/to work when sick and there's a risk of infecting anybody!"

you, woke virology genius: "I will hang this thin piece of paper loosely over my mouth. We are safe now."

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Gross daffy duck sounding man: ”pfhwash your hands phfeople”

Me, cool masked guy: ”im going to work in style!”

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

A Russian troll farm posted:

A basic sunrise suit will do okay if you upgrade it with rubberized fabric and combine it with a gas mask, but you're really gonna want to have an sp-99m for the best biological anomaly protection. The basic sp-99 will work, but it isn't as puncture resistant as the military model.

I'll stick with old reliable, my birthday suit.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

man saying a virus is " a 2.6" is the lamest way to classify these things

if you want the average human to take this seriously give it a cool name like "the virus is omega level" or "the virus is dragon class", that sounds dope as gently caress. "This is a 2.6" is for nerds.

The virus has a power level of 2.6.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

It will make a goon out of you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Normal masks do little, N95 masks like for people doing contracting are about 85% effective for other coronaviruses. Add a face shield and get N99 or N99.7 (N100) masks and that goes up more. You need disposable N95 masks or disinfected reusable ones and you need a lot. Of course the space suits are 99.9% effective

Health care peeps in Wuhan itself are hosed cuz they ran out of the ppe. That's where the rumors of the ppe not being effective come from. Don't reuse disposable ppe, try real hard not to run out of ppe

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 25, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Call me when Wuhan Flu is over 9000

dead

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Age distribution of fatal cases that the PRC govt has confirmed

https://i.redd.it/ch0xjjzjsxc41.jpg

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

You know that there is some dismal chinese economist/demographer going "well look at the bright side"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's actually equally deadly across all ages, it's just that the internet generation never leaves the house

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Are those total numbers or mortality percentage? Because 12 percent mortality is uhhh not good.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

This is superb totally awesome!! It will solve two problems at once, Boomers and global climate change.

I don't know about you, but this is starting to prove to me that there is a loving god and he is watching out for us all

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Number of peeps

So far it looks comparable to a weaker SARS. SARS was 0.5% fatal in peeps 20-30 who didn't smoke and like 50% fatal in peeps 80-90 who smoked

Young peeps might still have an ICU stay though

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 25, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Luckyellow posted:

This is superb totally awesome!! It will solve two problems at once, Boomers and global climate change.

I don't know about you, but this is starting to prove to me that there is a loving god and he is watching out for us all

Already posted it to the Boomer thread lol

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Spazzle posted:

2.6? Not great.. not terrible.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
this just in.. people are more likely to die when they get sick over 80

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but it's like 100x, not 1.5x or something

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Why did Obama do this to us?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

So this guy said there's a 95% confidence that it's at a power level of 3.6 to 4.0, and they've already dialed that back to 2.5, and people are still believing anything he says?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
95% confidence level depending upon model assumptions. Health care people can't do math, including epidemiologists lol. To have a frequentist estimate that takes into account the multiplicative uncertainties is real hard and you would get a properly absurdly wide 1.5 to 5 or whatever range after it I would guess

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

isn't any sort of statement about infectivity or whatever extremely filled with assumptions and predictive models and whatever else at this stage?

We don't really know anything, we don't know how many people have been sick. Any statement now is more about fame/trying to avoid panic/trying to cause panic

am i wrong? that's my feelings about it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah. You can shove the assumptions in the model properly and multiply out the error bars and poo poo but that will look real disappointing in the charts so peeps don't do it

actuallysanta
Dec 23, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Spazzle posted:

2.6 . hmm. not great,but not terrible.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Don't want to be grim and all but high old mortality and no infant mortality seems pretty suspicious.

Unless someone tailor made a virus to fix the job market/economy/political environment/my chances of retiring. I'd like to see their cost benefit analysis 'genetically engineered boomerflu vs guillotine production'.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CassandraZara posted:

So this guy said there's a 95% confidence that it's at a power level of 3.6 to 4.0, and they've already dialed that back to 2.5, and people are still believing anything he says?

You understand that the "" signs mean he's quoting from the paper he's ... you know, quoting from, right?

Rephrase that to "so their paper is saying ther infection rate is 3.6 - 4.0 (at a 95% confidence interval) and they dialed it back down to 2.5 a day later, why is anyone believing anything this quickly hacked together paper hoping to get tons of citations riding on the latest wave of panic says?" and we'll be in agreement.

Outrail posted:

Don't want to be grim and all but high old mortality and no infant mortality seems pretty suspicious.

Well the first rule of reading any official figures or numbers the PRC releases is "don't believe any official figures or numbers the PRC releases".

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
New virus melts your lungs

New virus causes pneumonia

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They half-rear end the faking of the numbers, though, so I deffo wouldn't put it past them to just multiply everything by 1/5, in which case the histogram still looks the same

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fruity no gay posted:

New virus melts your lungs

New virus causes pneumonia

Pneumonia is just lungmelting in Greek

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All these replies tell me that whoever it was who did this analysis really shouldn't have said they had a 95% confidence interval then!

"Oops we didn't take into account the fact that we only had three days of data" doesn't sound like very good statistics!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Really you want a full chained graphical model for one of these dealios but lol at peeps getting taught that and actually remembering it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've heard that DDT is effective in stopping coronavirus

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NOT the Scorpion Death Drop variant though please be careful

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Der Shovel posted:

Well the first rule of reading any official figures or numbers the PRC releases is "don't believe any official figures or numbers the PRC releases".

Well yeah, I'd expect them to only report 10% of cases or whatever but to shift the demographics up like that seems like an odd move.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've heard that DMT is effective in stopping coronavirus

You heard it here first folks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Things looking grim over there. Imagine the US government shutting down all international travel as well as travel in and out of 13 cities over Christmas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/world/asia/china-coronavirus.amp.html posted:

RIGHT NOWThe State Department has ordered all American workers at the United States Consulate in Wuhan to evacuate.

China said on Saturday that it would suspend all tour groups and the sale of flight and hotel packages for its citizens headed overseas, starting on Monday.

The Beijing city government also announced on Saturday that it would suspend all inter-province buses from Sunday, effectively limiting road travel into the capital.

Wuhan also tightened its restrictions further on Saturday with a ban on vehicle traffic in the city center, to begin at midnight.

Travel restrictions in Wuhan and 12 other cities have essentially penned in 35 million people on the country’s biggest holiday, normally a time for traveling to visit family.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They shut down the whole province. Some cities in Chongqing are on deck, travel restrictions in Beijing and Shanghai. Significant number cases in Guangdong province and Hong Kong

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I really hope that's an accurate distribution of ages.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Outrail posted:

Things looking grim over there. Imagine the US government shutting down all international travel as well as travel in and out of 13 cities over Christmas.

did sars cause this kind of restriction or the bird flu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Holyshoot posted:

did sars cause this kind of restriction or the bird flu?

I don’t think SARS had a single city locked down like the dozen or so are right now.