Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

I am embarrassed to see something so pathetic on DoS letterhead

I bet there are some real howlers from when he was at CIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He just named the first random country he could think of, didn't he? Does he even know where Bangladesh is? This administration is so hosed up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

He just named the first random country he could think of, didn't he? Does he even know where Bangladesh is? This administration is so hosed up.

At least if you are going to lie make it believable. Like, if he said Georgia or Romania I wouldn't believe it but at least it is on the Black Sea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bangladesh is probably what he was looking at when she picked Ukraine

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We're all idiots on some scale.

Don't steal my email signature thanks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait, is this the reporter that was born in europe, and has advanced degrees in european studies?

Edit: It is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Louise_Kelly

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Based on the statement and without context, they were going to run away to Bangladesh one day. But they were just kids then and things are different now.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

not caring here posted:

Wait, is this the reporter that was born in europe, and has advanced degrees in european studies?

Edit: It is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Louise_Kelly

God drat, so she 100% knows more about international relations than the Secretary of State. Cool cool cool.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
According to the comments she had a masters in EU studies from Cambridge, so yeah she’s not picking a country in Asia

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Casually ignoring the fact that the Secretary of State had an underling print off a blank map to interrogate her with in response to asking a question about an ongoing news story.

Pompeo is reportedly interested in running in the Republican Presidential Primary in 2024 and I would pay good money for that sort of entertainment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Pompeo is reportedly interested in running in the Republican Presidential Primary in 2024 and I would pay good money for that sort of entertainment.

Remember when we said poo poo like that about Trump?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

Remember when we said poo poo like that about Trump?

He’s not a bigely rich big businessman.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/status/1221091910078664705

Okay Mike, I believe you that the reporter picked the wrong country a continent and couple bodies of water away.

quote:

Kelly graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University in 1993, with degrees in Government and French Literature. As a senior editor at The Harvard Crimson, she covered the 1992 Presidential election, including Bill Clinton's inauguration.[3]

In 1995 she completed her masters in European Studies at Cambridge University (Emmanuel College) in England.

What a tool.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://twitter.com/gaywonk/status/1220867293510541317?s=19

Nailed it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah joking about seemingly idiotic Republucan types running for office dismissively has historically not worked out and may be shouldn't be viewed as side show, especially considering Pompeo would get on his end times kick and lock up 40% of the country based on their ideological approach to foreign policy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah joking about seemingly idiotic Republucan types running for office dismissively has historically not worked out and may be shouldn't be viewed as side show, especially considering Pompeo would get on his end times kick and lock up 40% of the country based on their ideological approach to foreign policy

But how will he differentiate himself from Pence?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Well the recent report doesn't say anything about his wife in the room during the NPR interview

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Vasudus posted:

I mean maybe I'm just an idiot but usually the government does whatever action out of "an abundance of caution". Like giving people reduced price flu shots, or setting up hand sanitizer stations in public transport hubs. That's what you do when you say "an abundance of caution" and actually mean it.

You don't quarantine a city, let alone at least ten cities. You don't build two dedicated hospitals specifically to handle this event if everything is fine, nothing to see here.

Normally you don't quarantine cities at all for public health epidemics, because it fosters distrust of the government and makes the clear transfer of information and resources more difficult as you have the majority of the population who aren't sick fighting to get out, rather than effectively assisting in dealing with the public health crisis.

Taking two weeks to set up some kind of containment hospitals is also real loving dumb. This whole thing is a mess and the government response seems to be making it worse.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s almost like this is a test run for something bigger some day.

*Stares across the straights in Winnie*

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Am I reading that right that China is building two 1,300 bed hospitals in... about 3 weeks??

Those are monstrous hospitals. Like Mass Gen is 1,000 beds. I realize they’re probably just floor after floor of open space for death cots but still they are throwing a loving rediculous workforce at these things to scream through their construction. I couldn’t even pull this in FrostPunk let alone Starcraft.

I have to assume they the Chinese government is withholding numbers of cases. The WHO has been using case # to calculate the R0 (R-“naught”) which is the rate of infectivity. How many people one person will infect. So far it’s like 1.4-2, SARS was near 5. Its way too low for this type of response.

So what will happen is this virus will get a foothold in another country, but one WHO can see into with more clarity. They’ll watch the number of cases spread like a forest fire and the R0 will be 8 or something equally horrific, and they’ll have objective proof China was lying its butt off about the numbers.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 25, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nothing serious going on, just flying our people out of China, no big deal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-plans-to-evacuate-citizens-from-epidemic-stricken-chinese-city-11579951256

quote:

SHANGHAI—The U.S. government is working to evacuate American citizens by air from the epidemic-stricken Chinese city of Wuhan as soon as possible, according to people familiar with the effort.

The operation comes as the death toll from a newly identified coronavirus that originated in Wuhan climbs above 40 and the number of confirmed infections tops 1,300, with many of the cases in and around the central Chinese city of 11 million people.

The fast spread of the disease in recent days across China and around the world, including two cases in the U.S., has raised fears of a deadly contagion.

Roughly 1,000 American citizens are thought to be in Wuhan, and the U.S. consulate there is reaching out to those it knows about to offer a seat on the plane, these people familiar with the matter said.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sorry to DP but

Blind Rasputin posted:

Am I reading that right that China is building two 1,300 bed hospitals in... about 3 weeks??

They're not permanent structure hospitals, that's why they can be built so fast. They're going to be single level structures, think tent hospitals but prefab poo poo light enough to set on barely cured concrete. They will be plowed over, burnt and buried when the outbreak ends. China did this for SARS.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Here is a I think federal run map of cases that is Live Updated and quite useful. Bookmark it.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Some takeaways:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Bangladesh jab is Pompeo at his Pompeoist. It’s clearly inferring she hosed up the countries, but it’s not actually a claim.

So if proof comes out that she did no such thing, he can just smirk and say he never said she confused Bangladesh for Ukraine. He revels in highly misleading words that are technically not a claim.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He should’ve gone with something in Eastern Europe at least

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well maybe after *this* manufactured outrage at "the media" and two-minutes-hate session NPR will figure out that "fair and balanced" is a loving dumb slogan even for Fox in our current fascist-wannabe political climate.

Or, ya know, just....not and be one more group they put against the wall when Republicans get what they want and need a new "enemy of the people" that day. Wouldn't want to upset :decorum: by taking a political party seriously when they say what they want and are going to do. Just wouldn't be polite to believe them.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Here is a I think federal run map of cases that is Live Updated and quite useful. Bookmark it.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Some takeaways:

number...go...up?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Nuclear War posted:

From my friend in Qingdao, northern China

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I forgot that Sec State requires confirmation by the Senate only, not House and Senate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I love this

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/beyondreasdoubt/status/1221101173547184131?s=19

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Lake of Methane posted:

I forgot that Sec State requires confirmation by the Senate only, not House and Senate.

I don't think any confirmation of any position requires a house vote. There is a very real possibility that I'm wrong though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Anecdotal and all that, but this is from FB, a family friend's sister lives in Wuhan.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I would not have cared, but now I really want to listen to this interview with Secretary Pompeo. He must have made a real rear end of himself

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
This is the relevant part that I think a lot of people are missing

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1220837170484797445?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
"Do you think Americans care about Ukraine" is a very odd question to ask considering the president is currently being impeached over it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe I'm off the mark but seems like a lot of the more mainstream Dems, when a GOP cat gets way out of line, they just write it off as "of course they did" and the other side of the aisle is actively stoked on when they haul off on people for no good reason. So yeah, that poo poo should get WAY more traction and we should have a culture that doesn't tolerate politicians that do poo poo like this, but everything is loving broken and also did you know millenials are killing the mortgage lending industry?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Do you think Americans care about Ukraine" is a very odd question to ask considering the president is currently being impeached over it.

Those are separate issues. America cares about the president. America doesn’t care about Ukraine.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

I would not have cared, but now I really want to listen to this interview with Secretary Pompeo. He must have made a real rear end of himself

It’s impressive - she gets the knife in, and he is audibly rattled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I'm glad NPR reporters are finally sick of their poo poo (or whatever allowed them to let loose) and asking harder questions. I remembered complaining about their softballs to the administration a year or two back.