Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bad opinionhavers itt. I didn't play Layers of Fear and thought Blair Witch was mediocre but liked Observer a lot. The atmosphere was excellent and Rutger Hauer did a good job channeling someone who was Tired of this poo poo (probably because he was in real life) in what was tonally a very depressing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I liked Observer a bunch, apart from maybe the endings, I just thought that was funny

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat White Day. Got two different endings based on a final choice after the last boss, which we replayed once.

Man, I would've loved this game if it was just a 'ghosts are all around, find out how to avoid them or defeat them to proceed without dying,'. The story of the school, and the various ghosts and stuff, is pretty cool. I like the amount of stuff that's just hidden in the environment, coins and ghost items and stuff, that's completely unnecessary to pick up but still there if you've got a good eye. This of course is a bit of a problem when the devs have no idea how to highlight items that are required to pick up, leading to me stumbling around in a darkened room trying to find a single valve as someone approaches to stab me in the back.

But those loving janitors just suck the fun out of every single moment that they're in the game. At one point I realized I was in a room that the janitor was coming to due to an open door, and hid behind a desk. The rear end in a top hat then happens to walk into the room (which they never do), patrol around the desk (which they never do) as I circle it keeping it between me and him, and only then leave the place. Like, gently caress off game, don't have this bullshit near-omniscient AI in a chase game. As bad as the guards in the original Thief that would just happen to know where to walk to in the pitch-black darkness to bump into you, but at least you can take those guys out.

And of course after finishing the pool, the janitor was right on the fourth floor (which he never goes to, of course) waiting for me to open the door and chase me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Observer 2: Write-Up

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Observer is one of those games that a lot of people recommended at the time for being CYBERPUNK HORROR and it ended up being not a lot of either, and now way fewer people chime in to mention that they recommended it.

Honestly it's a bad game except for Rutger Hauer, who is always great to listen to, and a couple of the sidequest scenarios in the game. The crime scene investigation "puzzles" are ok but less involved than the ones in Condemned, from 2005.

As I was joking earlier, the devs have said in interviews that they consider Observer and Layers of Fear to be "hidden horror" and "Catharsis 2.0" which basically means that the actual horror content is turned way down, and a lot of the story beats will be "realizing" that your character is a bad guy in a way that you, the player, haven't really had meaningful input into during the course of the game. Observer, for me, came off like a guilt trip for something I didn't do.

I feel like they could just make Observer 2 good by abandoning their house storytelling style and just making a scary version of Psychonauts or The Cell.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just finished playing AI: The Somnium Files which is totally scary Psychonauts. At first I was annoyed there were so many goofball anime moments but the game dips into super dark territory effortlessly and I was just begging for them to bring back the pratfalls and boob jokes.

It also does "you were the villain all along" better than literally every horror game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Scary Psychonauts? Have you played Psychonauts? That game could be pretty goddamn unsettling.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

I just finished playing AI: The Somnium Files which is totally scary Psychonauts. At first I was annoyed there were so many goofball anime moments but the game dips into super dark territory effortlessly and I was just begging for them to bring back the pratfalls and boob jokes.

Ah shouldn't have read the spoiler in the quote. Still, cool! I saw that and it looked very, uh, anime, but the idea that it was a horror game wasn't obvious at first glance.

Morpheus posted:

Scary Psychonauts? Have you played Psychonauts? That game could be pretty goddamn unsettling.

Oh, fair enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been watching a few streams of it and it's surprisingly solid. It's an incredibly anime game, but in a good way I guess? It doesn't rely on genre tropes to replace writing and an interesting plot. It's more stylistic than anything. The story it tells is genuinely pretty engaging.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Ah shouldn't have read the spoiler in the quote. Still, cool! I saw that and it looked very, uh, anime, but the idea that it was a horror game wasn't obvious at first glance.

Oh, fair enough.

It's not horror but definitely psychological thriller like Se7en. And don't let the spoiler turn you off the game, it has good writing and fun surprises.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

It's not horror but definitely psychological thriller like Se7en. And don't let the spoiler turn you off the game, it has good writing and fun surprises.

Oh, for sure, it sounds like the anime version of se7en. Hey, as long as I've stumbled my boring rear end into the Horror Games thread, I wanted to say, I ended up watching the LP of Saya no Uta at this thread's advice, and I liked it more than I expected! Are there any other good horror VN's, ideally without the kind of pedo poo poo that Saya no Uta did?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, for sure, it sounds like the anime version of se7en. Hey, as long as I've stumbled my boring rear end into the Horror Games thread, I wanted to say, I ended up watching the LP of Saya no Uta at this thread's advice, and I liked it more than I expected! Are there any other good horror VN's, ideally without the kind of pedo poo poo that Saya no Uta did?
Kara no Shojo fits that description.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's something that came out recently I've been meaning to check out called Raging Loop. It's a VN based on the Werewolf social game where you're trying to deduce who becomes a monster at night but you're stuck in a time loop so you carry knowledge between playthroughs.

I haven't engaged with the property at all but Higurashi is pretty well regarded.

And if you want to deep dive into IF then Anchorhead is really good but keep a guide on screen because it's tough. A commercial version came out last year with creepy art.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skyscraper posted:

Raging Loop is basically a horror VN version of Werewolf and it's pretty great, consistently one of my favourite VNs.

Death Mark is interesting too, it pretends to have gameplay but it's 100% scripted, biggest problem is slow rear end text. There's a sequel but I haven't played it yet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's this Doki Doki Literature Club thing that people seem to like a lot. It's more psychological horror from what I hear, but I haven't played it myself.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

woodenchicken posted:

Kara no Shojo fits that description.

Thanks! The screenshots look promising.

al-azad posted:

I haven't engaged with the property at all but Higurashi is pretty well regarded.

And if you want to deep dive into IF then Anchorhead is really good but keep a guide on screen because it's tough. A commercial version came out last year with creepy art.

I'll be honest, part of the reason Saya no Uta really worked for me is that it was on youtube and therefore accessible at my job.

As for Higurashi, is that still good if I've already seen the anime? Is there content after the anime? I was wondering recently whatever happened to that show, and I found out that now it's also about a murder mystery on an island and world war 4.

Sakurazuka posted:

Raging Loop is basically a horror VN version of Werewolf and it's pretty great, consistently one of my favourite VNs.

Death Mark is interesting too, it pretends to have gameplay but it's 100% scripted, biggest problem is slow rear end text. There's a sequel but I haven't played it yet.

Is Raging Loop about a literal werewolf or just the concept of the game Werewolf? I feel like it could be both.

Death Mark looks real good.

Cardiovorax posted:

There's this Doki Doki Literature Club thing that people seem to like a lot. It's more psychological horror from what I hear, but I haven't played it myself.

DDLC is very good! And it's free! I'd probably go back and watch a silent LP of it, but either way, it's solid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Potentially both

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sakurazuka posted:

Potentially both

Oooh!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i liked ddlc a lot for what it was, i’m glad it is the only visual novel thing i have ever touched and that he’s making new content for it to come out this year. two things i’m glad for

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's neat but yeah, for better or worse it's pretty much exactly what you'd imagine a VN to be surrounding its gimmick. I'm not sure I would've gotten through it on my own but it was fun as part of a rowdy drunk stream online.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I've had Observer downloaded and waiting to be played for a while and I was feeling guilty about it - not anymore!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Psychoanauts has a hidden room in one mind that's filled with the screams of dying children. The level is otherwise a light-hearted and party themed but go into that room and you realise that it's a facade.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did moons of madness end up being okay? I really like the secret world setting but The Park was a bad take on it but nobody really talked about MoM

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Just finished Silent Hill for the first time. Pretty good game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Len posted:

Did moons of madness end up being okay? I really like the secret world setting but The Park was a bad take on it but nobody really talked about MoM

It got delayed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I watched a playthrough of Moons of Madness and it seemed pretty okay for the first two hours, but the later half of the game was pretty forgettable - so much so that I don't even remember how it ended.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Moons of Madness started strong-ish, but then got progressively more boring when I realised it was going to keep throwing dumb puzzles at me with no real payoff, and reading all the log things was mind-numbing. Didn't even play 2 hours.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Frictional is definitely getting ready to announce a game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ooh, I am so ready for something new from them. I hope it's an entirely new IP.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I actually finished Moons of Madness, and I'd rate it as pretty much the platonic ideal of "Eh it's okay." It's a pretty slow paced walking simulator with some jump scares and a few really tedious puzzles, and it does have some pretty good set piece moments, but overall it wasn't anything special.

Even it's ties into The Secret World don't really bring a lot to the experience; you can practically see the seams of where they took whatever it was they were originally working on and just bolted the TSW lore onto it, because some of it just doesn't quite fit into the game, and it also doesn't really take the lore anywhere interesting either. None of the characters or writing are even particularly interesting, which is probably the biggest crime if you're going to associate yourself with TSW.

It reached the low bar of being better than The Park, but I wonder if it might have been better off being it's own thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Only thing that really bummed me out about SOMA is how much weirder the original teaser looked.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Only thing that really bummed me out about SOMA is how much weirder the original teaser looked.

I’d agree with that. Everything leading up to it pointed to a much more interesting game with more compelling visual design at least. It reminded me of being a kid and wanting a toy because of the box, then I open the box an am like “I mean, I guess this is ok, but I feel like I was promised more ninjas backflipping through exploding buildings”. Soma is fine when taken as it’s own thing, but placed in context of the media heralding it’s arrival it could be seen as a disappointment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The teaser for those curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHVkMIP1b8

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Count me as also disappointed that SOMA swerved into creepy sci-fi rather than sticking to the true horror vibe of that teaser.

I liked the game but I think Frictional are a lot better at horror. That brain stuff in the teaser genuinely unnerved me, where the game was just a little bit spooky.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Len posted:

Eeeh, it's ok at best but not worth going through, I beat it but I can't remember much of it and I don't see myself every revisiting it again. Not really worth the time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066430/Kwaidan_Azuma_manor_story/ this came out i dunno if its good but its got tank controls :cheers:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

lets hang out posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066430/Kwaidan_Azuma_manor_story/ this came out i dunno if its good but its got tank controls :cheers:

We've reached the point where I can't quite tell the difference between loving send-offs to PS1 horror and just not being able to make it look better.

Oh! Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/HauntedPs1/status/1223029475052544001

Bunch of horror game demos by indie devs coming out the 6th.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Really hoping Frictional has decided on a better health mechanic than "what if you just waddle around at half speed until you find health or die"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

lets hang out posted:

Oh, no, no, no. That's another re-release of Dungeon Lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, no, no, no. That's another re-release of Dungeon Lords.

Is that a bad thing?