Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I'm really curious to see what RedLetterMedia has to say about this. I hope Mike is happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

I hope Mike is happy

I have identified a fatal flaw in your reasoning :v:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What's TDS in this context?

I don't really want to continue this thread too much, because it does not make me laugh, it just makes me sad. This person has very strongly held beliefs, and they're legitimately very upset.

I just want to know why. It's not entirely clear from these if they're politically reactionary, or just reactionary about entertainment that's perceived to be a bit different than what they grew up with.

And I don't want to watch any of their dumb videos to find out.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm really curious to see what RedLetterMedia has to say about this. I hope Mike is happy with it.
What just happened:

I select 'Redlettermedia', right click - find in google. First link is their channel. Clicked on it and found a recent familiar title review. its The Mandalorian.
Clicked on it then clicked right in the middle to pass all the intros and bla bla stuff.
I get a scene of ShutUp Crusher in the Mandalorian review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efskcq_mqv4&t=1407s

LMAO, already like those guys, will definitely watch later.

Eiba posted:

I just want to know why. It's not entirely clear from these if they're politically reactionary, or just reactionary about entertainment that's perceived to be a bit different than what they grew up with.

They are the kind of haters SW and GOT8 defenders refer to in their defences. Overly salty, unreasonably hate-y nerds who base their insinuations only on their expectations and strong views on 'how it should have been'. Also way too much of them to disregard the fact are bigots in one way or another.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 25, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eiba posted:

What's TDS in this context?

I don't really want to continue this thread too much, because it does not make me laugh, it just makes me sad. This person has very strongly held beliefs, and they're legitimately very upset.

Trump Derangement Syndrom. She is mad that popular culture is making fun of her big wet orange god emperor, as pop culture is want to do of people who become President, even when they don't hold monstrously cartoonish worldviews. It does not compute to her that Trek has always been a mirror to its modern real world political landscape, and Picard and Discovery are a mirror to post-2016 Hellworld politics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

LMAO, already like those guys, will definitely watch later.

Be warned though, the only poo poo of theirs worth watching is the stuff that highlights Mike and Rich. Jay is a whiny little poo poo who goes out of his way to poo poo all over anything that isn't a 70's giallo flick. Jay has also gotten increasingly misogynistic over the years. gently caress Jay.

The Star Trek stuff should be fine though, it's almost always just Mike and Rich talking about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The RLM guys love star trek and also love making GBS threads on bad trek. I can't wait for their review.

Also, rich is the kid from the dick the birthday boy picture.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway, viewership numbers are starting to trickle in, and Picard's first episode was the most watched single broadcast in the history of CTV Sci-Fi/Space Channel in Canada. God only knows how well its doing on Amazon Prime and CBS Access if it did this well on a Canadian basic cable broadcast network.

CTV Sci-Fi has a lot of hours to fill in a day and shows endless reruns of Xena, Andromeda, and Stargate Atlantis, so 'most watched' should be taken in context lol.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 25, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

CTV Sci-Fi has a lot of hours to fill in a day and shows endless reruns of Xena, Andromeda, and Stargate Atlantis, so 'most watched' should be taken in context lol.

They're also a first-run primetime broadcaster for shows like Arrow, Supernatural, Discovery, Doctor Who, and The Expanse. Even "in context" this is loving huge for them.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 25, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Trump Derangement Syndrom. She is mad that popular culture is making fun of her big wet orange god emperor, as pop culture is want to do of people who become President, even when they don't hold monstrously cartoonish worldviews. It does not compute to her that Trek has always been a mirror to its modern real world political landscape, and Picard and Discovery are a mirror to post-2016 Hellworld politics.

People like that lady have caused me to quantify "I think Discovery was really bad" with "but I'm not a nazi" whenever it comes up in polite conversation

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The problem with modern Star Trek is political correctness gone mad. Where are the lessons about hard work, drugs and gangs?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

All I can say to finish off the discussion about that red haired weirdo nerdy hater is another 'indirect detail' (she uses a lot of those).

Everyone here knows Patrick Stewart, right? And can google a bit feedback from another actors, his award nominations and all that.
Now, summing up and knowing how pure and open hearted he is, how he is a decent human - could he, for any amount of money or else, invite his long time friend Whoopi Goldberg into s2 of Picard, if it got canceled due to bad performance or else lovely reason from anon 'insider'? No way he would.

Cojawfee posted:

The RLM guys love star trek and also love making GBS threads on bad trek. I can't wait for their review.

I won't judge until I see the full season. I just can't. Its not a trek way to do things right in first season :D
That goes for Discovery s1 too, no matter how much I liked Jason Isaacs' performance.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Be warned though, the only poo poo of theirs worth watching is the stuff that highlights Mike and Rich. Jay is a whiny little poo poo who goes out of his way to poo poo all over anything that isn't a 70's giallo flick. Jay has also gotten increasingly misogynistic over the years. gently caress Jay.

The Star Trek stuff should be fine though, it's almost always just Mike and Rich talking about it.

:-( I really like Jay, and the Mike and Jay combo is my favorite. His taste in movies tends to line up decently with mine. How has he been misogynistic?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

:-( I really like Jay, and the Mike and Jay combo is my favorite. His taste in movies tends to line up decently with mine. How has he been misogynistic?

The Half in the Bag review of Captain Marvel is basically Jay going "Brie Larson should smile more" and Mike awkwardly going uhh.

It was bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I won't judge until I see the full season. I just can't. Its not a trek way to do things right in first season :D
That goes for Discovery s1 too, no matter how much I liked Jason Isaacs' performance.

It’s practically a Trek tradition at this point to have a wonky first season.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The Half in the Bag review of Captain Marvel is basically Jay going "Brie Larson should smile more" and Mike awkwardly going uhh.

It was bad.

Which is also bizarre because half the movie is her smirking cockily... y'know, like a hotshot Air Force pilot would.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Which is also bizarre because half the movie is her smirking cockily... y'know, like a hotshot Air Force pilot would.

He meant in real life :ssh:/:yikes:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Brie Larsen's lack of charisma in that movie is a genuine criticism. She's been in other stuff where she was good, but I'm not sure if a Grrrl Power superhero is her forté.

The screenplay doesn't help either. Is she supposed to act like a hot-shot fighter pilot or a weird brainwashed alien warrior?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Hmm, I never watched the Captain Marvel review, but that's sad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Hmm, I never watched the Captain Marvel review, but that's sad.

It came up again in their Dark Fate review and he went off on a tangent about the Ghostbusters reboot as well. Jay is like two years away from saying the quiet part out loud.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It came up again in their Dark Fate review and he went off on a tangent about the Ghostbusters reboot as well. Jay is like two years away from saying the quiet part out loud.

This is why I stick to Best of the Worst. Stuff like Rich Evans laughing at absurd poo poo/self-owning with his inept turns of phrases, and Mike laughing at old people and being genuinely righteously outraged at animal cruelty are all great.

Surviving Edged Weapons is like one of the best 20 minutes of material they’ve ever done.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Brie Larsen's lack of charisma in that movie is a genuine criticism. She's been in other stuff where she was good, but I'm not sure if a Grrrl Power superhero is her forté.

The screenplay doesn't help either. Is she supposed to act like a hot-shot fighter pilot or a weird brainwashed alien warrior?

She's supposed to act like the complex person Carol Danvers / VERS rather than a simple archtype and I never saw a problem with her acting

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I stick to Best of the Worst. Stuff like Rich Evans laughing at absurd poo poo/self-owning with his inept turns of phrases, and Mike laughing at old people and being genuinely righteously outraged at animal cruelty are all great.

Surviving Edged Weapons is like one of the best 20 minutes of material they’ve ever done.

:same:

They’re better as an ensemble anyway, plus you get the Canadians every now and then on BOTW.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Jay's replaced by Home Alone kid most of the time now.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

People like that lady have caused me to quantify "I think Discovery was really bad" with "but I'm not a nazi" whenever it comes up in polite conversation

Yeah. I didn't like Discovery or Last Jedi or GoT S7 or 8 but it pains me to be grouped in with these people.

On the other hand, some people immediately group you with racist assholes even if you have legitimate criticisms of the above, which is also really bad.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wrong thread

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

pyrotek posted:

Yeah. I didn't like Discovery or Last Jedi or GoT S7 or 8 but it pains me to be grouped in with these people.

On the other hand, some people immediately group you with racist assholes even if you have legitimate criticisms of the above, which is also really bad.

I think the Ghostbusters movie has some okay stuff in it, like Kate McKinnon doing her damnest to keep everything going, and Chris Hemsworth hamming it up. Unfortunately, you can't say that Chris Hemsworth is your favorite part of the new movie, because that leads to all sorts of accusations.

I think Discovery has a lot of issues, but I genuinely like a lot of it.

Season three starts in April, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I think the Ghostbusters movie has some okay stuff in it, like Kate McKinnon doing her damnest to keep everything going, and Chris Hemsworth hamming it up. Unfortunately, you can't say that Chris Hemsworth is your favorite part of the new movie, because that leads to all sorts of accusations.

I think Discovery has a lot of issues, but I genuinely like a lot of it.

Probably a safe guess, maybe May. They haven’t given any concrete date beyond the first half of 2020.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

pyrotek posted:

In the end all the fight for equality, minorities and so on led to people still being judged, grouped and name called by what other people saw, read or heard about them without trying to understand.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Wow why april? I never heard a date from official sources or any leaked stuff

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CBS and Kurtzman are really intent on year-round Trek and Picard should end in late March/early April.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

In the end all the fight for equality, minorities and so on led to people still being judged, grouped and name called by what other people saw, read or heard about them without trying to understand.

I swear I read somewhere a couple months ago that it was coming out in April. No source, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Bloop posted:

She's supposed to act like the complex person Carol Danvers / VERS rather than a simple archtype and I never saw a problem with her acting

I think it is a fair criticism that the whole 'gaslit/brainwashed by the Kree' story is a misstep because it alienates (ha! puns) the audience from the character. Like, I get that the idea was probably to engage people with the mystery element, but considering the marketing and the property itself have really always been about Carol Danvers as a human lady who was in the USAF (and sometimes was a magazine editor... comics are weird) it's very odd to me that they've decided that the once or twice she's had amnesia in the comics is now the Most Important Part of her backstory. It'd be like if Spider-Man Far From Home spent the entire first half with Tom Holland growing two extra pairs of arms because of the one time the character did that in the comics in the 80s.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

I think it is a fair criticism that the whole 'gaslit/brainwashed by the Kree' story is a misstep because it alienates (ha! puns) the audience from the character. Like, I get that the idea was probably to engage people with the mystery element, but considering the marketing and the property itself have really always been about Carol Danvers as a human lady who was in the USAF (and sometimes was a magazine editor... comics are weird) it's very odd to me that they've decided that the once or twice she's had amnesia in the comics is now the Most Important Part of her backstory. It'd be like if Spider-Man Far From Home spent the entire first half with Tom Holland growing two extra pairs of arms because of the one time the character did that in the comics in the 80s.

I mean sure ok but I think that criticism is almost entirely orthogonal to criticism of Brie Larson's acting

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HD DAD posted:

“I don’t like inclusiveness and diversity unless it was in stuff I watched as a literal child. Then it’s okay.”

Yeah it's hilarious how chuds don't notice progressive things in media they watched before they were radicalised. So you get chuds saying Fury Road and Captain Marvel are feminist propaganda, but the Terminator and Alien movies are great and don't have any kind of feminist message at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can you criticize a woman's performance in a role without being a misogynist?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"I don't care if it's good or not" is the summary of summaries for this poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, by providing an actual criticism, and not "she should smile more and show more skin"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MichiganCubbie posted:

I swear I read somewhere a couple months ago that it was coming out in April. No source, though.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

CBS and Kurtzman are really intent on year-round Trek and Picard should end in late March/early April.

I can only get SO erect. Thanks on the info, it seems very plausible

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's like third level meta-commentary. Mad about the producers being mad about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arglebargle III posted:

Absolutely. Have you never seen a Rebel Wilson film?