Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If only Pirates! and Assassins Creed: Black Flag could come together to make some sort of super game. Anyone here play the most recent Sea Dogs game? Are those still fun?

Last one I played was the Pirates of the Caribbean one with some sort of huge super mod back in the day. One of my fondest memories from that mod was standing on my ship and accidentally pressing one of them numpad keys, which causes a bunch of skeletons to spawn and just gently caress me up.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If only Pirates! and Assassins Creed: Black Flag could come together to make some sort of super game. Anyone here play the most recent Sea Dogs game? Are those still fun?

Black Flag is like 75 percent of the way there, too. Add some crew management and change the on-land stuff, put in a few mini games, and bam! That’s something I would probably drop 500 hours in easy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Black Flag is like 75 percent of the way there, too. Add some crew management and change the on-land stuff, put in a few mini games, and bam! That’s something I would probably drop 500 hours in easy.
More, I'd say. It's honestly practically Sid Meier's Pirates!: Asscreed edition. I was totally amazed by how complete the pirating experience feels.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

More, I'd say. It's honestly practically Sid Meier's Pirates!: Asscreed edition. I was totally amazed by how complete the pirating experience feels.

Yeah. The more I think about it the more it just needs the storyline removed, that rogue lite structure added in, and some more ship types to use and you’re pretty much there.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I'm reading a random guide which had this to say about it:

I found that the landmarks can still be useful, it's just an issue if you have something such as a map telling you that the treasure is north of a place and located near a particular landmark and then when you go sailing there, north of the port has 2 of the same landmarks spawned in within that 1 to 3 ocean screen distance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll keep that in mind, I just have no desire to waste an hour looking for a treasure that I might not even need.

Which ship should I be shooting for if I want to be the boarding, looting kind of pirate? The sloop is already pretty fast. Is there anything that is at least as fast, but sturdier?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A Ship of the Line is basically the overall best you can get, if I remember it correctly. It's fairly fast, has a ton of guns, and plenty of storage space. Getting expensive goods in small amounts is generally better than getting bulk cargo that sells for a pittance. You'll be tossing it overboard anyway and it just slows you down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

A Ship of the Line is basically the overall best you can get, if I remember it correctly. It's fairly fast, has a ton of guns, and plenty of storage space. Getting expensive goods in small amounts is generally better than getting bulk cargo that sells for a pittance. You'll be tossing it overboard anyway and it just slows you down.

Nah, a sloop is the best by a pretty wide margin. A ship of the line has a lot of guns but it’s pretty slow. A sloop can close in and let you capture a relatively intact ship. You can have like 3-4 galleons follow you to a port, sell all the cargo and spare guns they had, then sell the galleons and make bank. If you gently caress the ships up with guns a lot, then they’ll slow you down and be worth less cash money when you sell them.

Ships of the line are a lot of fun, though, so if you see one, steal it and dick around with it for a while. It’s not optimal but Pirates! Isn’t really a game that requires optimal play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, a sloop is the best by a pretty wide margin. A ship of the line has a lot of guns but it’s pretty slow.
Not that slow, I don't think? Compared to a lot of the other bigger ships, they're pretty as far as I remember it, and the wiki seems to back me up on that. I mean, sloops are definitely faster, but they also have less than half the cargo capacity, way less health, and barely any guns. Ships of the Line are the next best thing to invincible if you play them right and are basically murder on sails. Overall, I'd really recommend them, although I suppose a lot of it is really personal preference.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Indian war canoe is unironically the best for boarding and map movement

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pennfalath posted:

Indian war canoe is unironically the best for boarding and map movement

Isn’t it the best for going against the wind? That’s a super handy feature to have.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ive recently fallen in love with river city girls but there are a couple of QOL things I really wish were implemented. For instance the button to move to the next room and the button to punch are the same thing. So when an enemy appears by a door, you switch rooms rather than engaging them.

Turns out there is a mod to fix this and a ton of other stuff I never even knew I wanted

https://github.com/MoArtis/RCGMod/blob/master/README.md

quote:

UserXpMod is a "quality of life" mod for the beat 'em-up game River City Girls by Wayforward. It allows to tweak multiple small things to fix some issues and improve the user experience on PC.

[Menus]

Skip any splash screen, video, dialog with just pressing Start or Escape once.
Start the game from the main menu. (Off by default)
Display progression details in the save selection menu. (Off by default)
Skip the tutorial in New Game Plus.
[NEW] Skip the "Press Start" menu.
[NEW] "Loiter" option highlighted by default after selecting a file.
[NEW] "Next" option highlighted by default in the file settings menu.
[NEW] Preselect a favorite character in the character selection screen. (Off by default)
[NEW] Useables' consumption status displayed for each character.
[NEW] Useables' stat gain displayed in shops.
[NEW] Display moves' inputs in Dojos.
[Settings]

Remap the "interact" action used to pick object on the floor or use doors.
Remapping the “interact” action will change the button prompt accordingly.
Remap the keyboard from the mod’s config file.
Force the game to use XInput to potentially fix the controller related bugs. (Off by default)
Display the PS4 controller’s button prompts instead of the Xbox ones. (Off by default)
Configure the vSync settings.
Use Unity’s frame limiter ("TargetFramerate") or a custom one. (Off by default)
[NEW] Swap the "Recruit" and "Block" buttons on the controllers. (Off by default)
[Game mechanics/Feedbacks]

Unlock the secret characters on every save once they are unlocked on at least one save.
Display the amount of damage on hit like other River City games.
Customize the color and the size of the Damage and XP gain feedbacks.
[NEW] Make Recruits stay and fight for you when summoned. (Off by default) - Code by Muken
[Bug fixes]

Fix a bug that prevented the Book items to work properly when using a character other than Misako.
Fix a bug that prevented the phone interface to display a maxed-out Stamina stat.
[Combo Training Mode]

[NEW] Press F1 to make enemies invincible.
[NEW] Press F2 to force common enemies to spawn as their Nightmare variations.
[NEW] Press F3 to prevent common enemies from attacking the players.
[FUN]

[NEW] Change the size of the enemies. (Off by default)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i thought Travis Strikes Again couldn't get any more self-indulgent but now i'm going on a drat vision quest with the Hotline Miami masks as my spirit guides

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Important thing to know in Pirates!:

If you make enough gold so that it will split 1k between every crew member they will no longer get low morale and demand you split the hoard.

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 25, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's Snake, but a Bus Simulator

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1012560/Snakeybus/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm rich so I spent 30bux on the early access to Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. As far as a Diablolike goes I think it's cool and shows a lot of promise. It feels about halfway between D3 and PoE in terms of the overall complexity and itemization, with some generally good design decisions and ARPG conveniences. The visuals are solid for a budget studio and the monster exploding feels good. It's currently capped at level 20 and only Act 1 is playable, with a lot of systems (crafting, character customization, etc.) still missing. I'm looking forward to when it goes into full release in February.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If it is still that incomplete, how are they planning to be done with it by February?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Xander77 posted:

Wait, can I use the outlook (web) account to sign up for gamepass?

I don't see why not, it's a Microsoft product. Like Hotmail has not been a thing for a long time and mine links to Microsoft Outlook and I sign into Gamepass with it. Try it!

Orv
May 4, 2011

So I'm definitely interested in this but uh, this line of text is preceded by this image.

Bloody Spell posted:

Ten years ago, Yejin and his sister Li went to practice martial arts under the sect of Wanfa. Since then, they have been far away from the complicated human world.

E: Also I love this broken English for explaining "it's a Dark Souls"

The highlight of the level design is the form of random combination, that is, the scenes, monsters, equipment, and configuration of the props that the player is reborn after death are different from before, so that the game presents diverse characteristics, increasing the level variables and The game is fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

But it says the game is fun?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Cardiovorax posted:

If it is still that incomplete, how are they planning to be done with it by February?

Yeah this game has been in EA for a looooong time. Grim Dawn did something similar, releasing an act at a time, and it still took them a year+ to finish it. I bought the game and am looking forward to it being complete, but February just isn't happening.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stokes posted:

Yeah this game has been in EA for a looooong time. Grim Dawn did something similar, releasing an act at a time, and it still took them a year+ to finish it. I bought the game and am looking forward to it being complete, but February just isn't happening.

Couldn't it be a case of the other acts being worked on but not released for the EA costumers? The Divinity: Original Sin games both had EA with only the first act available and came out of it with all acts done.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I'm stuck between four mostly disparate games for the leftover funds for this sale and I could use some help to decide.

Outward - I have people I can scare up to play it with me especially with remote play and that seems to be the major point against this one. The old-school RPG jank doesn't scare me off.

Transport Fever - The railroad tycoon LP is bringing back some memories but I want to play something a bit more modern and this looks like it might do it.

Starcom Nexus - I like space games but no two reviews seem to agree on just what this game is? Twin-stick shooter? RPG? Very deep? Very shallow? It has trading, but the previous review says that, no, it doesn't?

Starpoint Gemini: Warlords - This looks to be more solid in terms of description: A lighter X3-like experience, "M&B in space". A ton of DLC that would match up roughly to the price of the above games is available, are they worth it?

Any opinions on the above would be great!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really enjoying starcom, fwiw

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Middle Earth Shadow of War

They removed all the micro transactions and the grind points online to unlock single player stuff right?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I just noticed I'm sitting on a bunch of packs of cards. Are trading cards still A Thing or did the bottom drop out on that market completely? I haven't PC gamed in about two years, in case you're wondering the magnitude of my confusion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sighence posted:

Starcom Nexus - I like space games but no two reviews seem to agree on just what this game is? Twin-stick shooter? RPG? Very deep? Very shallow? It has trading, but the previous review says that, no, it doesn't?

Top-down spaceship RPG, in the vein of Star Control II. Explore space, send away teams to die land on planets, talk to aliens, shoot at aliens, gather minerals and science points to upgrade your ship from a tiny scout shuttle to a big-rear end dreadnought. It's pretty good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Plastik posted:

Hey, I just noticed I'm sitting on a bunch of packs of cards. Are trading cards still A Thing or did the bottom drop out on that market completely? I haven't PC gamed in about two years, in case you're wondering the magnitude of my confusion.
It is about boosters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

Middle Earth Shadow of War

They removed all the micro transactions and the grind points online to unlock single player stuff right?

It was never that much of a deal but yeah.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Plastik posted:

Sell them for 10-20c apiece and finance an indie game on sale, or open them for the foil card lottery

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I wasn't sure if foil cards even still existed. I haven't seen one in years.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Foils are definitely still around but I very much wonder if they've adjusted something about them/if some people hoarding them or failing to sell them is adjusting the rate of new ones down. I see a lot less than I once did and I get a few boosters a week.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

So I'm definitely interested in this but uh, this line of text is preceded by this image.

E: Also I love this broken English for explaining "it's a Dark Souls"

The highlight of the level design is the form of random combination, that is, the scenes, monsters, equipment, and configuration of the props that the player is reborn after death are different from before, so that the game presents diverse characteristics, increasing the level variables and The game is fun.

quote:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

This is an action adventure game where players use swords, sticks and sickles to kill enemies in melee combat. Players also use executions (eg, backstabs) to cautiously assassinate enemies. A large amount of blood splattering occurs when an enemy is killed.
Equipped with a cool apron or zombie role playing in the jewelry bar, the character's appearance will change to a girl, there will be more exposed parts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I bought that thing and I'm not even in game yet and it's more Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

E: Oh my god. :allears:

Semi-NFSW for extremely unnecessary menu.

Also it just straight up has a mode called Bloody Palace and your jump has i-frames. What the hell is this thing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 26, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dark Souls with titties.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dark Souls with titties.

So Dark Souls then?

Orv
May 4, 2011
But also you can revive like Sekrio? I don't know what the hell is going on but I can't stop laughing at it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dark Souls with titties.

Gwynevyre exists

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dark Souls with titties.

This is a pretty apt description of Code Vein, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It also has action game skill/combo buying and a magic system. I'll stop posting but I dunno, it seems like it could be a lot worse for the price and how insane it is.