Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thumposaurus posted:

Walmart sells slip resistant shoes as well. Also everytime I've ordered shoes from zappos they've been on my porch the next day.

I heard they were going out of business, but I used to get cheap (~$25) non-slips at Payless, if they still exist. When you're living paycheck-to-paycheck as a dishwasher, that was a good deal.

I always have to buy shoes in person, because once you get to size 10 women's shoes, it's like all bets are off, sizing is a crap shoot. Fat bottomed girls may make the rockin' world go 'round, but flat footed girls gotta try that poo poo on in person. I envy those who can buy shoes online. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I heard they were going out of business, but I used to get cheap (~$25) non-slips at Payless, if they still exist. When you're living paycheck-to-paycheck as a dishwasher, that was a good deal.

I always have to buy shoes in person, because once you get to size 10 women's shoes, it's like all bets are off, sizing is a crap shoot. Fat bottomed girls may make the rockin' world go 'round, but flat footed girls gotta try that poo poo on in person. I envy those who can buy shoes online. :(

I am a men's 14EE, and I have the opposite problem. Sizing is consistent enough but nobody actually carries them and I have to buy all my shoes online.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ya ever try men's sizes? I'm out of luck on the women's shoe front generally, being a size 13 in men's. But I can buy online and have little issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Ya ever try men's sizes? I'm out of luck on the women's shoe front generally, being a size 13 in men's. But I can buy online and have little issue.

And don't get me loving started on pants. I have a size 34 belt that I have to use the last hole on to hold up my size 30 pants and two pairs of size 32 pants that are way too small.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Living in Japan I'm glad I have little feet for a guy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm a guy with small feets (6-7 depending on brand) so most of the time I have to get really lucky while shoe shopping or order online.
One good thing about ordering from zappos is that if the shoes don't fit you can exchange them free of charge.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Interview this afternoon. Never gotten to this stage and not gotten hired so here's hoping I keep that streak going.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 21, 2020

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I also have giant ladyfeet, being a 10.5. I almost always wear men's shoes since not only are my feet long, but they are also narrow (AA). Basically I have cross country skis instead of feet, and once you get up to about a 10 in women's they assume you are also like an E width. The only company that I can buy women's shoes from that actually fit are New Balance.

If you are ordering men's shoes online 9.5 in US sizes seems to be just fine, you could probably get by with a 9.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Shooting Blanks posted:

You don't want to do this, Vox.

I was going for "umami", alas.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Chili name: Suck This Chili Right Outta That Hole

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Oh, when you put it like that

My restaurant pays all stages in cash and has for 20 years.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My restaurant pays all stages in cash and has for 20 years.

grats on being the first place i’ve ever heard of that pays stages at all

that’s not an endorsement of every other place i just have never heard of that being a thing and i wish it was an industry standard

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Welp, did my own unpaid stage yesterday. Reporting in on my "getting back into the kitchen after 15+ years" posts.

Had a blast. Really cool place, really great food, exec and sous both awesome and very chill. This chillness remains even though it's currently just the two of them up front getting slammed, so good on them. Definitely going to need to get my feet back in shape though. 9 hours of standing was not exactly what my cushy tech job got me ready for.

I was very prepared both attitude and equipment-wise thanks to all of your advice here, so thanks a million for that. I was on prep the whole time since they had another stage on his 2nd day who was on the line with them, but the sous checking back in regularly. I had to ask a bunch of questions about where to put stuff away at times, because their station separations were a little weird to me, but that was about it.

They advertise as no experience necessary, so they're used to low/no cooking experience 18-24 year olds. They seemed super happy that they could just toss me a portion of something and say "make more of these" and I would knock it out. "Can you fab a case of chickens?" "Do you know what I mean when I say a 3% brine?" "Can you run a chamber vac?" All knocked out with results approved by the sous.

After flooding, scrubbing and squeegeeing they sat me down to talk about how it went. The exec's first words were "Holy poo poo. What a breath of fresh air to have a mature professional come in." They offered me the job, with the salary pegged to the very top end of the range the ad advertised and asked me what I wanted my schedule to be. My wife works as an architect literally next door, sharing a wall with the restaurant, so said that matching her 8a-5p Monday through Friday would obviously be ideal, but have two cars and can be flexible. Nope, Mon-Fri 8a-5p it is.

Pretty hard to turn down the literal ideal possible offer, so... I'll be doing a few weeks mirroring exec's 12p-11p starting today before transitioning to the normal schedule.

Seriously goons, thanks again for the advice. Before talking to y'all, I was pretty insecure about my situation, so figured I would need to go in, show off, talk a lot and try to sell myself hard. Your advice of "shut up, ask questions if you have any doubts, and be humble" was exactly what I needed.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The patient count is 170 something with 50 NPO's (nothing permitted orally, ie, people prepping for surgery so they can't eat.) I had 165 orders alone for breakfast. Yesterday I had 80 by 10am.

Pray for MojoRenée

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol that they had a stage working for multiple days unpaid and made you work 9 hours. gently caress that place. But hey congrats, glad we could help.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 22, 2020

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I guess I've been fortunate that all of my stages have been paid. I wouldn't want to work in a place that didn't pay.

As an opposite story to Doom Rooster's I started my engineering internship at the hospital last week and I'm getting paid 50% more than when I was a KM at a fine dining restaurant.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Final interview tomorrow. Weird to have multiple but the first seemed to just be a moron filter so I get it.

Should have a job by this time tomorrow. Here we go again. :getin:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell yeah sis. I'm on day 3 of 4, and feeling a lot better with it consistent in the morning, rather than the 11:30-8 shifts. Those are lame and draining. But I went to the gym after work yesterday and felt good!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Resting Lich Face posted:

Final interview tomorrow. Weird to have multiple but the first seemed to just be a moron filter so I get it.

Should have a job by this time tomorrow. Here we go again. :getin:

Grats! Literally the best thing about being able to cook is you will always, always, ALWAYS be able to find work somewhere.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

9 hours of standing was not exactly what my cushy tech job got me ready for.

After flooding, scrubbing and squeegeeing they sat me down to talk about how it went. The exec's first words were "Holy poo poo. What a breath of fresh air to have a mature professional come in." They offered me the job, with the salary pegged to the very top end of the range the ad advertised and asked me what I wanted my schedule to be.

Seriously goons, thanks again for the advice.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol that they had a stage working for multiple days unpaid and made you work 9 hours. gently caress that place. But hey congrats, glad we could help.

Aight, so the way I've seen this handled in the past is: When you get the job, you ask the stage shift you just work count as your hours worked for the week, so do ask about that.
For me, its always been 'you got the job, the work you just did I'll pay you for'.

Good on you for nailing the first impression!

In postmortem, what was the most useful stuff you made use of as far as advice? What did we miss that might have been nice to bring up ahead of time?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TheParadigm posted:

Aight, so the way I've seen this handled in the past is: When you get the job, you ask the stage shift you just work count as your hours worked for the week, so do ask about that.
For me, its always been 'you got the job, the work you just did I'll pay you for'.

You should never work (or be expected to work, or have anyone work for you) without compensation. The correct thing would have been for Doom Rooster's new boss to tell them "If you get the job it will go on a paycheck. If we don't feel you're going to work out, we're going to pay you in cash at $X/hr so that your time is compensated, but we aren't going to put you on payroll due to the time and expense associated with that."

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

SHVPS4DETH posted:

grats on being the first place i’ve ever heard of that pays stages at all

that’s not an endorsement of every other place i just have never heard of that being a thing and i wish it was an industry standard

CA state law requires it in any circumstance where any “productivity is derived from the labor of the applicant” so if they’re chopping veggies that go into a stock or running drinks to tables, you’re opening yourself to a ton of liability if you aren’t paying a stage.

Yeah, none of what you outlined was a ringing endorsement of that place at all. Demand your time be paid. If you’re in CA, the length of both your stage and the mutliday stagier are definitely illegal based on length of time alone, let alone your productivity during it. The fact that they’re milking 18yr olds for multi day stages is a HUGE RED FLAG. I have a hard time imagining that your tech job was bad enough that this is better.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 24, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

CA state law requires it in any circumstance where any “productivity is derived from the labor of the applicant” so if they’re chopping veggies that go into a stock or running drinks to tables, you’re opening yourself to a ton of liability if you aren’t paying a stage.
Does it require the applicant be put on payroll or is cash acceptable?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does it require the applicant be put on payroll or is cash acceptable?

Honestly, I’d have to clear that with our attorney. We currently pay cash and have the stage sign a receipt outlining hours and rate; we keep it short so it’s rarely more than $50 and that amount is under the cap for cash payments.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
What's the shortest stage you all have seen? Did they quit or get told to leave?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Canuckistan posted:

What's the shortest stage you all have seen? Did they quit or get told to leave?

I've had to stage as a server, those shifts were always less than two hours and I was compensated in cash mostly and usually got the job.

The one time I wasn't paid I also didn't get the job, and they mostly had me do what a busser would do, so I think they really just wanted a free busser for happy hour.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We had a guy stage at the place I was cooking at a few years ago that lasted 15 minutes. The chef walked in on him in the walkin scarfing down a quart of buttercream icing.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

We had a guy stage at the place I was cooking at a few years ago that lasted 15 minutes. The chef walked in on him in the walkin scarfing down a quart of buttercream icing.

I never thought to go for a stage just to eat some ridiculous poo poo for lunch. Next time I'm hungry and on vacation, I'll see if anyone is doing same-day interviews.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Did he finish it?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I have a very mundane job managing a sandwich shop, I would totally bring my knife roll and prep for a couple hours on my day off in return for a meal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Doom Rooster posted:

Welp, did my own unpaid stage yesterday. Reporting in on my "getting back into the kitchen after 15+ years" posts.

Sounds like you found a good opportunity for you at least, even if that is a long stage. Congrats!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 25, 2020

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Serving an adult human woman right now who claims to have never tried sour cream before, and is in fact scared to do so. #WhitePeople

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mezzanon posted:

Serving an adult human woman right now who claims to have never tried sour cream before, and is in fact scared to do so. #WhitePeople

Reminds me of a youtube clip where a woman would only eat cheese fries and has a full on panic attack when her SO tries to give her some steamed broccoli (or something equally inoffensive). It was equal parts sad and disturbing.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I have a friend who eats maybe 25 foods, and only a dozen regularly. He will eat chicken strips/nuggets, french fries, biscuits, cheese pizza, spaghetti-os, brownies, cheesecake, popcorn, a bunch of kinds of candy but I'm lumping all those in as candy (mostly reese's or suckers)... and I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Oh, waffles, and turkey (white meat) on thanksgiving and Christmas.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I always feel bad for folks that have long lists of foods they don't or won't eat. Allergies and intolerances are a completely different topic of course (I'm intolerant of raw tomatoes, for example), but I just can't imagine passing on veggies, fruits, nuts, etc.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I always feel bad for folks that have long lists of foods they don't or won't eat. Allergies and intolerances are a completely different topic of course (I'm intolerant of raw tomatoes, for example), but I just can't imagine passing on veggies, fruits, nuts, etc.

As somebody with a lifethreatening allergy, it drives me up a wall when someone has the ability to eat whatever they want and just chooses not to.
Hell, it's frustrating enough not to just be able to enjoy a meal at a restaurant and having to ask for modifications, seeing if we can remove things - I'd love to eat things the way they were intended by a chef. Folks who just demand changes to everything to reinforce their bonkers food choices are insulting.

Loving this thread, as someone who enjoys eating at restaurants but often can't. 😁

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SageNytell posted:

As somebody with a lifethreatening allergy, it drives me up a wall when someone has the ability to eat whatever they want and just chooses not to.
Hell, it's frustrating enough not to just be able to enjoy a meal at a restaurant and having to ask for modifications, seeing if we can remove things - I'd love to eat things the way they were intended by a chef. Folks who just demand changes to everything to reinforce their bonkers food choices are insulting.

Loving this thread, as someone who enjoys eating at restaurants but often can't. 😁

From the restaurant side of things, it's often not a big deal to accommodate someone's preferences/intolerances when possible. It can be very dumb, and obviously it can be impossible (no, you can't have the tres leches with no dairy), but nobody minds that much - and if it can't be done, then it just can't be done.

Telling a restaurant you have an allergy when you don't is a massive pain is extremely lovely though, and people do this poo poo all the time. When someone tells a restaurant they have an allergy, most reputable restaurants will immediately assume it's the life threatening kind like you have - say, peanuts or shellfish. They also have a very specific script to minimize risk of cross contamination, effectively taking the dish(es) from order to fork by hand with specific people, equipment, and work station(s) assigned that have all been sanitized and prepped just to make sure nobody dies. It's a challenge, for sure, but it's necessary for any restaurant that doesn't want to risk putting someone in the hospital or killing them. And most restaurants also appreciate when someone with an allergy like that calls in advance to see if they can be accommodated because sometimes it just isn't possible (I'm sorry, but Captain Bob's House of Crabs probably isn't the best place for you if you're allergic to shellfish) - it helps them prep in advance, getting an area ready, and getting the organizational stuff done beforehand. In short, it means a decent amount of extra work for some number of people. But again, it's worth it.

What's supremely frustrating is when someone claims to have a shellfish allergy and so a restaurant goes through all of that to accommodate them, and then you see them taking a bite of the ceviche or the shrimp poboy their friend ordered. "Oh, a little bit won't hurt!" And it makes everything worse for people with allergies, because it makes it just a bit more likely that someone, somewhere will stop paying attention and slip up, and then someone with an allergy will pay the price :(

That said, have you tried calling in advance to see what can be done? Or do you have one of the lesser known severe allergies like soy that can be harder to work around?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sometimes I click through yelp to make myself angry, this woman was mad that her cousin went to some Asian joint, didn’t tell them about a DEADLY peanut allergy, doesn’t carry a loving epi pen with them, ordered noodle dish without asking about ingredients or once again, bothering to mention their allergy, throat starts to swell, THEN they ask if there “are any nuts” on the dish. Server says no nuts, but there is peanut sauce. They then proceed to freak out more (peanuts are legumes, remember, they are not a nut) and threaten to sue. If you have that little care or interest in your own well being, how the gently caress is that the restaurants problem?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yeah, none of what you outlined was a ringing endorsement of that place at all. Demand your time be paid. If you’re in CA, the length of both your stage and the mutliday stagier are definitely illegal based on length of time alone, let alone your productivity during it. The fact that they’re milking 18yr olds for multi day stages is a HUGE RED FLAG. I have a hard time imagining that your tech job was bad enough that this is better.

If it makes you feel any better at all, it was actually 2, 4 hour days for a dude with 0 experience so most of the time was instruction and they hired him. Place seems super relaxed, so I'm gonna let it slide personally even if yeah, work should equal pay.

Disargeria posted:

I guess I've been fortunate that all of my stages have been paid. I wouldn't want to work in a place that didn't pay.

As an opposite story to Doom Rooster's I started my engineering internship at the hospital last week and I'm getting paid 50% more than when I was a KM at a fine dining restaurant.

Tag! You're it. Grats, and enjoy.

TheParadigm posted:

Good on you for nailing the first impression!

In postmortem, what was the most useful stuff you made use of as far as advice? What did we miss that might have been nice to bring up ahead of time?

When it comes to actually processing a food, the best advice was definitely to shut up and learn, but ask questions if you are unsure rather than going ahead and loving it up.

The only thing I can think of that y'all didn't prep me for is an attitude thing super specific to me/the industry I came from, so wouldn't have expected you to cover it. From the tech industry, process is process. Except in startups, literally everything, every detail, has an EXACT way it is supposed to be done. I kept asking stuff like "After I have portioned these bags of brisket, what should I put them in?, and where on the wok shelf should they go?" thinking like "Half hotel pan, far right side of the shelf" and the answer was actually "Whatever pan they fit nicely in, and anywhere there is room on the shelf". I kept/keep looking for ultra-precise directions, when to some extent I should be figuring it out and making something work.

Liquid Communism posted:

Sounds like you found a good opportunity for you at least, even if that is a long stage. Congrats!

Thanks! I'm 4 days in and I have literally not looked at a clock from the time I clock in until I'm told to start cleaning up and go "Whoa poo poo, it's 9:30..." It's all so mundane so far, but so satisfying. Give me a list of poo poo that needs to be done, a recipe book of those things, and I'mma dive in and crank it out.

My feet may already be coming back into shape too. They were only very mildly aching at the end of my last shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm just a home cook that stuck his finger into a caramel last night to taste it (even though a small voice in my head was screaming "That's like 340 degrees dumbass!") but it made me wonder, what's the dumbest thing y'all professionals have done in the kitchen that you knew was dumb in the moment?