Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Anyone know if the text on silent hill origins for ps2 meant to messed up and kinda hard to read or is my scaler just loving me around? Its a cheap one but i tested other games like code veronica and silent hill 3 and everything is as fine as it can be?

Text is like it has jpg compression or something on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It was a cheap port from the PSP so it's probably just of dubious quality.

Looking at this video here the text..does look bad, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66DenUN2bt0

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was a cheap port from the PSP so it's probably just of dubious quality.

Looking at this video here the text..does look bad, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66DenUN2bt0

Ah okay, looking at the ps2 in that im guessing its the thinish font my scaler doesnt like. Also lol alessa looks better on psp

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am down to the wire here on needing the USA completed save files for Goldeneye and Smash Bros for my Everdrive 64 X7. I've downloaded them from 10 different websites, none of them worked. I've used stupid "byte swap" programs that supposedly convert Project64 saves to Everdrive saves to no avail. If someone here happens to have, on their Everdrive 64 X7 flashcart, save files for both games that have everything unlocked for the US versions of the games, I'll paypal you $20 for them. Not ones you just googled and downloaded; I've done that already and they don't work. Only ones on your flashcart that you know are working. I am ready to throw this goddamn flash cart out a window. I've never had so many issues with saves before in my life.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Anyone know if the text on silent hill origins for ps2 meant to messed up and kinda hard to read or is my scaler just loving me around? Its a cheap one but i tested other games like code veronica and silent hill 3 and everything is as fine as it can be?

Text is like it has jpg compression or something on it

If you think that's bad, try having played Dead Rising on the 360 back in 2006 on a CRT (when HDTVs were still uncommon) and it was impossible to read anything, and Capcom told everyone who complained to go piss up a rope and they weren't going to fix it

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2006/09/5264/

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm tired of listening to my Dreamcast do whatever the gently caress it needs to do while playing MVC2. Where is a reliable place to get a gdemu? Are they scarce now that the dev went nuts?

Clones can be had on Aliexpress in the neighborhood of $40, but I don’t know how reliable they are - I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I’m not gonna see it for at least a couple more weeks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I am down to the wire here on needing the USA completed save files for Goldeneye and Smash Bros for my Everdrive 64 X7. I've downloaded them from 10 different websites, none of them worked. I've used stupid "byte swap" programs that supposedly convert Project64 saves to Everdrive saves to no avail. If someone here happens to have, on their Everdrive 64 X7 flashcart, save files for both games that have everything unlocked for the US versions of the games, I'll paypal you $20 for them. Not ones you just googled and downloaded; I've done that already and they don't work. Only ones on your flashcart that you know are working. I am ready to throw this goddamn flash cart out a window. I've never had so many issues with saves before in my life.

If you think that's bad, try having played Dead Rising on the 360 back in 2006 on a CRT (when HDTVs were still uncommon) and it was impossible to read anything, and Capcom told everyone who complained to go piss up a rope and they weren't going to fix it

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2006/09/5264/

You can use cheat codes for everything in goldeneye

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You can use cheat codes for everything in goldeneye

I have a ram expansion pack so I can use GameShark codes on the Everdrive with Goldeneye but no exaggeration, when I Google GameShark codes for Goldeneye I get several thousand codes for every stupid thing you can think of and zero of them are "unlock all stages and characters" and they're all for things like "make Doke's shoes blue" and "play upside down"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I have a ram expansion pack so I can use GameShark codes on the Everdrive with Goldeneye but no exaggeration, when I Google GameShark codes for Goldeneye I get several thousand codes for every stupid thing you can think of and zero of them are "unlock all stages and characters" and they're all for things like "make Doke's shoes blue" and "play upside down"

quote:

CHEAT MENU UNLOCKS - 007 GOLDENEYE CHEATS

You should be familiar with the main 007 GoldenEye cheat menu. You can use these button cheats or you can actually learn how to play GoldenEye N64 and peramanently unlock these cheats in the menu. Of couse the choice is yours. What do you choose? My favorite cheat from the menu is the no radar in multiplayer, paintball mode and of course the invincibility cheat. There is no doubt after getting frustrated with GoldenEye N64 that you will want to go through the levels again, but this time kicks the guards butts all over the place!

Paintball cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + Up, C-Up, R + Right, L + R + C-Left, L + Up, R + C-Down, L + C-Down, L + R + C-Down, L + R + Up, L + C-Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Invincibility cheat

At the cheat menu, press R + Left, L + Down, Left, Up, Down, R + C-Left, L + C-Left, L + R + Left, L + R + Right, L + C-Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

GoldenEye DK Mode cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + R + Up, C-Right, R + Left, R + Up, Up, R + Right, Up, L + R + C-Down, L + R + Down, L + R + C-Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

2X Grenade Launcher cheat

At the cheat menu, press R + Down, R + Up, Right, L + R + C-Down, L + Right, R + Left, Left, Down, Up, R + C-Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

2X Rocket Launcher cheat

At the cheat menu, press R + Right, L + Up, Down, Down, R + C-Down, L + Left, L + C-Left, R + Up, R + Down, R + C-Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Turbo Mode cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + Down, L + C-Down, L + R + Up, R + C-Down, Left, R + Down, L + C-Down, Up, R + Down, L + Right. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

No Radar Multi GoldenEye cheat

At the cheat menu, press R + Up, C-Down, C-Left, C-Up, L + Down, R + Up, C-Left, Right, R + Left, R + Right. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Tiny Bond cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + R + Down, R + Down, L + C-Down, Left, R + C-Left, L + R + C-Down, Right, Down, R + C-Down, R + Right. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

2X Throwing Knives cheat

At the cheat menu, press R + C-Left, L + Left, Up, L + R + Right, Right, L + R + C-Left, L + R + C-Left, R + Down, R + Left, R + C-Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Fast Animation cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + C-Down, L + C-Left, C-Down, C-Right, C-Left, L + R + Right, C-Right, L + R + Up, R + C-Left, L + Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Bond Invisible GoldenEye cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + R + C-Left, L + R + C-Down, L + C-Left, R + C-Left, R + Right, L + R + Left, L + Right, Left, L + R + C-Left, L + Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Enemy Rockets cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + R + C-Down, C-Left, R + C-Down, C-Down, C-Down, L + R + C-Down, L + R + Up, C-Down, R + Up, L + Up. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Slow Animation cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + R + Left, L + R + Left, L + R + Down, L + R + Left, C-Right, L + R + Down, L + R + Down, L + Down , C-Left, C-Up. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Silver PP7 cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + Left, L + R + Up, L + Right, L + R + Up, L + R + C-Left, L + R + Left, L + R + Down, C-Down, L + R + Right, L + R + Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

2X Hunting Knives cheat

At the cheat menu, press R + C-Down, L + Right, R + C-Left, R + Right, L + R + Right, L + R + Up, L + Down, R + Left, L + Right, L + C-Left. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Infinite Ammo cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + C-Left, L + R + Right, C-Right, C-Left, R + Left, L + C-Down, L + R + Left, L + R + C-Down, L + Up, C-Right. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

2X RCP-90s cheat

At the cheat menu, press Up, Right, L + Left, R + Down, L + Up, L + C-Left, L + Left, C-Right, C-Up, L + R + Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

Gold PP7 cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + R + Right, L + R + Down, L + Up, L + R + Down, C-Up, R + Up, L + R + Right, L + Left, Down, L + C-Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

2X Lasers cheat

At the cheat menu, press L + Right, L + R + C-Left, L + Down, R + Left, R + Down, L + Right, C-Up, Right, R + Right, L + R + Up. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

All Guns cheat

At the cheat menu, press Down, Left, C-Up, Right, L + Down, L + Left, L + Up, C-Left, Left, C-Down. If you entered the code correctly, you will hear a sound. Exit, then return to the cheat menu to access the unlocked option.

http://www.goldeneyeforever.com/cheats/007-goldeneye-cheats.php

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really appreciate it but I don't want any of those things. Just all of the characters unlocked and every stage available for multi-player.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

Clones can be had on Aliexpress in the neighborhood of $40, but I don’t know how reliable they are - I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I’m not gonna see it for at least a couple more weeks.

Yes, but don’t do this. The same clones are on amazon and eBay and in your country ready to ship fast.

As the OP mentioned, the original dev went off the deep end, so the clones are your best bet these days

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I really appreciate it but I don't want any of those things. Just all of the characters unlocked and every stage available for multi-player.

quote:

All-Characters Code:

Enter this on Multi-Player mode on character select screen. Start at the very

end character on the right…(Mishkin or Moonraker Elite)

1. Hold the L and R buttons and press C-left
2. Hold L and press C-up
3. Hold L and R and press left on the control pad
4. Hold L and press right on the control pad
5. Hold R and press down on the control pad
6. Hold L and R and press C-left
7. Hold L and press C-up
8. Hold L and R and press right on the control pad
9. Hold L and R and press C-down
10.Hold L and press down on the control pad
Your game will not save this code, so you’ll have to re-enter it every time you

want to use the extra characters…

https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/28861-goldeneye-007-n64-cheats

quote:

"The world is full of lies."

There are button codes to unlock all stages and all in-game cheats, besides just the special feature ones. You usually don't find these last two listed though, since Rare only officially released codes for the other stages.

Note these work a little funny. To unlock Aztec you have to have unlocked Cradle at last on "secret agent", and to unlock Egypt you'll need to unlock all the others on ""00 agent" difficulty.

code:
Code:
Unlock Aztec:
	R, c down
	R, + left
	L, + right
	L, R, c right
	L, + down
	L, R, c up
	L, + left
	L, R, c up
	L, R, + right
	L, c left

Unlock Egypt:
	L, R, + up
	L, R, c right
	L, + down
	R, + right
	R, + up
	L, + down
	L, + left
	L, c right
	L, R, c right
	L, + left
To unlock the multiplayer stage you'll need to finish Egypt successfully, which takes virtually no time at all if you get used to it.

-Zoinkity

https://www.therwp.com/forums/showpost.php?s=89b983ca55f3d9d8f3f75bb5ce4d7709&p=674552&postcount=3

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

edit: oh beaten, ah well!

i dont have a completed save file or a flash cart but try these for the levels and characters. i actually couldnt remember if you could unlock extra characters in goldeneye, i think i've gone this whole time without realizing or i've completely forgot. i half remember all the bonds but i dont know i actually did that back in the day through cheats or i made the memory up in my head lol. i do remember first reading about the button codes after spending so long to unlock everything naturally and for peoples copies at school and it was like whaaaat. kinda deflating, but i still got the memories at least

http://www.goldeneyeforever.com/cheats/007-goldeneye-cheats.php

OTHER GOLDENEYE N64 CHEATS AND UNLOCKS

These other 007 GoldenEye cheats should keep you interested and playing GoldenEye for a long time. Replay value increases because of the number of cool cheats in GoldenEye that hasn't been seen in many other video games.

Extra characters

Enter the multiplayer mode character selection screen and display the last available character (Mishkin or Moonraker Elite). Then, press the following controller combinations: Hold L + R and press C-Left. Hold L and press C-Up. Hold L + R and press Left. Hold L and press Right. Hold R and press Down. Hold L + R and press C-Left. Hold L and press C-Up. Hold L + R and press Right. Hold L + R and press C-Down. Hold L and press Down. An additional thirty-one characters will now be selectable.

Note these work a little funny. To unlock Aztec you have to have unlocked Cradle at last on "secret agent", and to unlock Egypt you'll need to unlock all the others on ""00 agent" difficulty.

Unlock Aztec:
R, c down
R, + left
L, + right
L, R, c right
L, + down
L, R, c up
L, + left
L, R, c up
L, R, + right
L, c left

Unlock Egypt:
L, R, + up
L, R, c right
L, + down
R, + right
R, + up
L, + down
L, + left
L, c right
L, R, c right
L, + left

UNLOCK GOLDENEYE LEVELS - 007 GOLDENEYE CHEATS

The fantastic part of GoldenEye N64 is the fantastic levels. Nintendo has made it easier for all the cheaters out there (you) and given you button codes so that you can see what the game is all about without having to *gasp* learn how to play it! Fantastic!

Unlock Facility level

At the mission selection screen, press L + R + C-Up, R + C-Left, L + Left, R + C-Up, L + Left, R + C-Down, L + C-Right, R + Right, L + R + C-Up, L + Right.

Unlock Runway level

At the mission selection screen, press L + R + Left, R + Left, L + C-Up, L + Left, R + C-Up, R + C-Down, R + C-Right, R + Right, L + Down, R + C-Left.

Unlock Surface 1 level

At the mission selection screen, press R + C-Left, L + R + C-Up, L + Left, R + Up, R + Left, L + Up, R + C-Down, L + Right, L + C-Right, L + R + Down.

Unlock Bunker 1 level

At the mission selection screen, press L + C-Down, R + Right, L + C-Right, R + C-Left, L + C-Down, L + R + Left, L + C-Right, L + R + Up, R + C-Right, L + Up.

Unlock Silo level

At the mission selection screen, press L + Up, R + C-Down, L + Left, R + Down, L + C-Left, L + R + C-Right, L + C-Up, R + Right, R + Right, R + C-Right.

Unlock Frigate level

At the mission selection screen, press R + C-Up, L + Down, R + C-Right, L + Left, L + R + Up, L + R + C-Down, R + C-Right, R + Up, L + R + C-Down, R + Up.

Unlock Surface 2 level

At the mission selection screen, press L + C-Down, L + R + C-Right, R + C-Right, R + C-Up, R + C-Left, L + Right, L + R + C-Up, L + C-Up, L + R + Down, L + C-Right.

Unlock Bunker 2 level

At the mission selection screen, press L + Down, R + Down, L + R + C-Up, L + Left, L + R + Right, L + C-Left, R + Right, L + C-Up, L + Left, L + C-Down.

Unlock Statue level

At the mission selection screen, press L + R + C-Down, L + R + C-Down, L + Right, L + R + Left, R + Left, R + C-Right, L + R + Left, R + C-Up, R + C-Down, R + Right.

Unlock Archives level

At the mission selection screen, press R + Left, L + R + Up, L + R + C-Down, R + Left, L + R + C-Right, L + Left, L + R + Right, L + R + C-Down, L + Up, R + C-Down.

Unlock Streets level

At the mission selection screen, press L + R + C-Left, L + C-Right, L + Up, L + R + C-Down, R + C-Right, R + C-Down, R + Left, R + C-Down, R + C-Up, L + Down.

Unlock Depot level

At the mission selection screen, press L + Down, L + Down, R + C-Down, L + C-Right, L + R + Right, R + C-Left, L + Down, L + C-Left, L + C-Right, L + Up.

Unlock Train level

At the mission selection screen, press R + Left, R + C-Down, R + C-Right, L + R + Left, L + Right, R + C-Down, L + Left, L + R + C-Left, L + Up, L + C-Up.

Unlock Jungle level

At the mission selection screen, press R + C-Down, R + Left, L + R + Up, R + Right, R + Down, R + Down, R + Up, R + C-Left, R + C-Up, L + R + Left.

Unlock Control Center level

At the mission selection screen, press L + C-Down, R + Down, L + Right, R + C-Right, R + C-Down, R + Left, R + Left, R + C-Up, R + Left, L + R + C-Up.

Unlock Caverns level

At the mission selection screen, press L + Down, R + C-Down, L + R + Up, L + Right, R + C-Up, R + C-Left, R + Up, L + C-Left, L + Up, R + C-Left.

Unlock Cradle level

At the mission selection screen, press L + R + C-Up, L + Left, R + Down, L + Down, L + C-Up, L + Down, R + Right, R + C-Up, L + C-Left, R + Right.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 25, 2020

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm tired of listening to my Dreamcast do whatever the gently caress it needs to do while playing MVC2. Where is a reliable place to get a gdemu? Are they scarce now that the dev went nuts?

I have a spare clone one if you're interested. I never used it but I suppose I could test it for you before I ship it. $50?

FWIW I use one in my DC and never ran into any issues, as long as the card is formatted with the correct folder structure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bank posted:

I have a spare clone one if you're interested. I never used it but I suppose I could test it for you before I ship it. $50?

FWIW I use one in my DC and never ran into any issues, as long as the card is formatted with the correct folder structure.

PM sent

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Are there any 100% silent Dreamcast options? Disk emu + phat heat sink? There's that quieter fan but I don't know how quiet it is.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

falz posted:

Are there any 100% silent Dreamcast options? Disk emu + phat heat sink? There's that quieter fan but I don't know how quiet it is.

I have a GDEMU and that Noctua fan and I hear literally nothing from my Dreamcast.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why the hell even own a Dreamcast if you don't want to hear the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BZZTSNKTSNKTBZZT

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
One would be silent, the other one or two would be noise makers.

Didn't realize that fan was so quiet, it seems kinda spendy when I last looked, but don't remember exact number.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Does that Noctua fan need a shroud, and if so, is there a recommended source for that? I guess if I’m cracking it open to install a GDEMU, might as well go ahead and upgrade the fan at the same time.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Blotto_Otter posted:

Does that Noctua fan need a shroud, and if so, is there a recommended source for that? I guess if I’m cracking it open to install a GDEMU, might as well go ahead and upgrade the fan at the same time.

There is a 3D printed thing for it.

https://www.retrorgb.com/updated-dreamcast-noctua-fan-mod-design.html

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

There’s the thing above but I got a set off eBay.

Ships from the UK so it took like two weeks to get here.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254019468931

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
If I want to go back and play the PS2 Megaten games, should I buy a PS2 and the physical copies, or should I get a PS3 and purchase the games via digital download? For the former there is the fact that it could be argued to be the "authentic" way to play it. However, it won't be upscaled to HD to look nicer. But on the other hand I do have a PVM to play retro consoles on, so retro games look nice without being HD.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

If I want to go back and play the PS2 Megaten games, should I buy a PS2 and the physical copies, or should I get a PS3 and purchase the games via digital download? For the former there is the fact that it could be argued to be the "authentic" way to play it. However, it won't be upscaled to HD to look nicer. But on the other hand I do have a PVM to play retro consoles on, so retro games look nice without being HD.

I have been told that the PS3 versions suffer from terrible emulation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are some weird quirks with the games on PS3, like I think the DDS games run at like 80% speed or something? And I've noticed some odd graphical things with Persona 4. I think playing on original hardware might be the way to go with SMT on PS2.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the responses.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't know if I'm just a slob but mario64 in RetroArch with an AA filter put on top of it looks really loving good and so long as the hardware can keep up it's just as good as playing on a console.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
heres my response: shin megami tensei nocture is bad rear end

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I buy an original PS2 or a PS3 with backwards compatibility?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
my experience with backwards compatible ps3s are "this thing will absolutely loving die" so i'd go ps2

(or hold out for the ps5 announcement and see if the "it's backwards compatible with everything" rumor is true)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

absolutely anything posted:

my experience with backwards compatible ps3s are "this thing will absolutely loving die" so i'd go ps2

(or hold out for the ps5 announcement and see if the "it's backwards compatible with everything" rumor is true)

Ooo. This would definitely get me to buy one.

Also emulation of ps2 and ps3 is coming along nicely, if you have the hardware

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I buy an original PS2 or a PS3 with backwards compatibility?

Fwiw the PS3s that don't have the BC chips in them (all of the slims and super slims) can run the PSN downloaded PS2 Classics, and they don't have the hardware failure issues. The emulation is a little off but honestly not something you're likely to notice if you aren't super aware to how they originally ran. For example I played through all of Personal 4 that way after losing track of my disc and didn't notice anything amiss. All of the US SMT games save for Devil Summoner 1 and 2 are available to download IIRC.

If you do care about that though, PS2s are dirt cheap and all of the US-released Megaten games are still moderately easy to get ahold of.

Edit: oh poo poo, if you have a PVM then the PS2 route is a no brainer.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I'm trying to remember the name of a (pretty sure) sega genesis space themed RPG that has first person cities and you go to different planets. It didnt run great but it was pretty neat looking. anyone remember this game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

BC for everything would be launch year PS5 buy for me.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 25, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Are there any good fan replacememts for the original Xbox? All the units I've messed with are exre!ey loud.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is it possible for N64 games to just die?

I have two N64s, so I tested it on both. Was playing WWF No Mercy just fine. Then I put in the original Smash Bros and nothing happens when I power it up. Then put in WWF No Mercy again and it did the same thing. Put in a few other games and no other problems. But Smash and No Mercy just do not work.

What gives?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zand posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a (pretty sure) sega genesis space themed RPG that has first person cities and you go to different planets. It didnt run great but it was pretty neat looking. anyone remember this game?

You're probably thinking of Phantasy Star which doesn't have first person cities but the first game did have first person dungeons.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I have two N64s, so I tested it on both. Was playing WWF No Mercy just fine. Then I put in the original Smash Bros and nothing happens when I power it up. Then put in WWF No Mercy again and it did the same thing. Put in a few other games and no other problems. But Smash and No Mercy just do not work.

What gives?

Are your contacts dirty?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I emulated through Nocturne like last year? with high res mode enabled and it was fine and rad as hell

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Astro7x posted:

What gives?

I've never heard of a cartridge game dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zand posted:

Probably Star Cruiser.