Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
This was mainly cuz they dicked around for 3 months

This one, they dicked around for 20 days only. Improvement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
So lopinavir / retonavir, which they use for AIDS, works great on SARS. Maybe it'll work for this one too, that doc in Shanghai was saying it

Not a cure but 20x less acute respiratory distress, in SARS

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Normal masks do little, N95 masks like for people doing contracting are about 85% effective for other coronaviruses. Add a face shield and get N99 or N99.7 (N100) masks and that goes up more. You need disposable N95 masks or disinfected reusable ones and you need a lot. Of course the space suits are 99.9% effective

Health care peeps in Wuhan itself are hosed cuz they ran out of the ppe. That's where the rumors of the ppe not being effective come from. Don't reuse disposable ppe, try real hard not to run out of ppe

I have really high levels of pee pee.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You just gotta avoid running out of peepee

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

You just gotta avoid running out of peepee

In case of shortage, search in the balls.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, reports of 6000% and up price markups in Zhejiang, Beijing, Shanghai. I see it's marked up 5x in Amazon rn

People are selling used in Wuhan proper. This is a bad idea

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Yeah, reports of 6000% and up price markups in Zhejiang, Beijing, Shanghai. I see it's marked up 5x in Amazon rn

People are selling used in Wuhan proper. This is a bad idea

hell it's just good business, bring the masks to Wuhan to sell, bring the flu back to expand your market.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's weird, 'cos the virus itself doesn't sound that bad (the people who died from it presumably had a different opinion) and yet China's taking these really extreme measures to contain it. So I don't know whether the Chinese government's massively over-reacting or whether we should all be genuinely worried.

I mean, I've got no doubt that they're lying through their teeth about the real number of deaths but still.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

maybe they know something about the origins of the virus that we don't :tinfoil:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
The other thing is social unrest, which they got a lot tetchier about since the economy soured. They're cutting or reducing internet access to Wuhan intermittently and the censors are working on overdrive

Remember, the ostensible ideology of the CCP is Maoist Marxist Leninism, which they have completely abandoned. However, it is still the case that in the curriculum you are allowed and encouraged to read books calling for revolution and :thermidor: and poo poo. They have the contradictions of capitalism much harder over there by literally just adding in more contradictions by being hypercapitalist and stuff

Xi Jinping successfully gulaged both the hardline commies like Bo Xilai and the liberal reformers, but that just means he also gulaged most of the peeps with principles and the official iteration of the ideology right now is like a sort of murky... Be good! Patriotic! Cool stuff!

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 25, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's weird, 'cos the virus itself doesn't sound that bad (the people who died from it presumably had a different opinion) and yet China's taking these really extreme measures to contain it. So I don't know whether the Chinese government's massively over-reacting or whether we should all be genuinely worried.

I mean, I've got no doubt that they're lying through their teeth about the real number of deaths but still.

I think the main thing is that it seems really infectious compared to the previous ones like SARS and MERS. Even if it's not as deadly as those on an individual basis, if it's spreading faster that's a lot more deaths if they don't get this poo poo on lockdown ASAP.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's honestly refreshing to hear about something that might kill us besides climate change or Trump.

It's odd, but one of the few govt things he's good at is cdc quarantine. They've been taking this very, very seriously and trump is letting them do their thing so the disease doesn't hurt the market.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It's odd, but one of the few govt things he's good at is cdc quarantine. They've been taking this very, very seriously and trump is letting them do their thing so the disease doesn't hurt the market.

Is the bar lowered to the point where “not actively loving with it” is now considered “is good at something”?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I think there will be material political implications of it if it gets a foothold in the US, which it looks like it very well could. Possibly very directly: Republicans could lose the Senate majority by enough of them dying, Trump, Pence, McConnell might die, Bernie, Warren, Pelosi or Biden might die. They all meet 100x as many people as normal people. Ginsberg might die.

But if enough old people die Republicans mostly break. There's this huge age disparity which would break the outsized effect of old people on politics.

Even for young people, apparently people are spending significant time in ICU's an amount of time that looks to cost in the 100s of k's in the US. So it will break the finances of a material number of the old in a very short time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sooo posadism but with disease instead of nukes :getin:

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Anyone said Winnie the Flu yet?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Fooma posted:

Anyone said Winnie the Flu yet?

Not 'til now!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bip Roberts posted:

hell it's just good business, bring the masks to Wuhan to sell, bring the flu back to expand your market.

Infect the masks with the flu. Now you're thinking like a captain of industry.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

A buddy of mine is currently living in Wuhan right now and is on lock down. He just told me that the embassy is chartering a flight to get all Americans out of there.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Applesnots posted:

A buddy of mine is currently living in Wuhan right now and is on lock down. He just told me that the embassy is chartering a flight to get all Americans out of there.

Uh, why would they want to intentionally bring the coronavirus into America? It's not like quarantine will work if they're just going in and out whenever they want

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Luckyellow posted:

Uh, why would they want to intentionally bring the coronavirus into America? It's not like quarantine will work if they're just going in and out whenever they want

Just fly it over Iran and let the Wuhan Flu Bombs hit Tehran.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Applesnots posted:

Definitely way better for them to be here than there, even if they’re in a quarantine concentration camp for a couple months.

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
The Wuhan secret is public transit shutdown means quarantine or lockdown somehow.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Luckyellow posted:

I am sure they will be quarantined as soon as they hit american soil. I will post updates. They might not even go straight to america for the quarantine, perhaps guam or something

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Just fly it over Iran and let the Wuhan Flu Bombs hit Tehran.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

The illness itself may not be any more deadly than the regular old flu, but if enough people are getting sick stuff gets shut down and I imagine that would be very expensive.

My school shut down for a few days last year due to flu and it was a pretty bad monkey wrench in the system. I can't imagine what would happen if larger stuff had to shut down for several days in the US.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
being more or less deadly than the regular flu is kinda irrelevant

how infectious it gets is what they are likely hiding

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Gotta give props to the netflix doc guys and the producers of that matt damon/gwenyth paltrow movie for going all in on marketing

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax

I think there will be material political implications of it if it gets a foothold in the US, which it looks like it very well could. Possibly very directly: Republicans could lose the Senate majority by enough of them dying, Trump, Pence, McConnell might die, Bernie, Warren, Pelosi or Biden might die. They all meet 100x as many people as normal people. Ginsberg might die.

But if enough old people die Republicans mostly break. There's this huge age disparity which would break the outsized effect of old people on politics.

Even for young people, apparently people are spending significant time in ICU's an amount of time that looks to cost in the 100s of k's in the US. So it will break the finances of a material number of the old in a very short time

yeah that would be cool. i hope we get a pandemic here in good ol america so people that done agree with me politically might die from it. imagine the utopia that would bring afterwards.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

What the gently caress is this post

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Perfectly healthy and normal to wish death on my political enemies.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

*every major urban area in the us gets infected*

haha this will destroy the republicans

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

actuallysanta posted:

I'll stick with old reliable, my birthday suit.

Goons blow their spit all over it though

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

lol people in the US will be scared to go to the hospital when they have systems because of the costs

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Il Federale posted:

*every major urban area in the us gets infected*

haha this will destroy the republicans

getting plague to own the libs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It might destroy the Democrats, too, if Warren, Bernie, Biden, Pelosi, Ginsberg and some Dem senators die and the deaths are only concentrated in big cities. But in America old people and young people are opposed politically and with like 2 exceptions old people have all the power.

Large events have consequences. Either way, the political landscape in 2024 looks radically different

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 26, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

It might destroy the Democrats, too, if Warren, Bernie, Biden, Pelosi, Ginsberg and some Dem senators die and the deaths are only concentrated in big cities. But in America old people and young people are opposed politically and with like 2 exceptions old people have all the power.

Large events have consequences. Either way, the political landscape in 2024 looks radically different

Go away

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

try real hard not to run out of ppe

The rare ppe meme

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I like clicking on threads then thinking I clicked on the wrong one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I’m the poster “just asking questions” about how the flu could potentially obliterate my political opponents