Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

and this.... is to go even further beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

trapped mouse posted:

You could try playing England into Great Britain for a campaign where you eventually make infinite money. There are a couple of difficulties with this start, most notably the Surrender of Maine event, but there are ways to win that war, lose it strategically, or even bypass it completely it you don't mind exploiting game mechanics.

But most importantly you have the most power in the English Channel trade node, which is an end node, and should help you understand how much money trade can really make you.

I ended up starting this this afternoon. I surrendered Maine, allied with Brittany and Burgundy, and smashed the poo poo out of France. I just vassalized and then annexed Scotland, and I'm working my way through Ireland at the moment.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oddium posted:

and this.... is to go even further beyond

you are like tiny baby...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really can't get around doing an effort playing as a HRE nation. That "Emperor gonna stand up for his babies" clause is such BS. I mean yeah obviously, but ugh.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean that one might be the most realistic thing about the in game HRE. Though the fact that this game has been out for 5 years and they haven't improved the HRE mechanics at all really is fairly silly.

AnoHito posted:

you are like tiny baby...

Yeah give me 6 Siege any day.

Though I didn't think it was actually possible to 6 out in everything, seems suspicious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Doesn’t this coming update totally rework the HRE

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah give me 6 Siege any day.

Though I didn't think it was actually possible to 6 out in everything, seems suspicious.

Oda clan (3) + 100 army tradition (17) + defensive (1) + offensive (2) + I think one pip from a policy did it for me.

Sad that it was after things didn't matter anyway since I had the better part of two continents as a daimyo swarm, but still cool to see.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

Not sure, I know it's a Europe thing but if they've said so I've forgotten.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

skasion posted:

i believe it's been listed in the cards but not expanded upon/actually done yet beyond province changes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skasion posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1172576

jake posted:

Let's take the HRE first. The Holy Roman Empire has not really been needing change, leading to it's relative state of persistence for so long. It functions well as an entity for keeping such a historically fractured region jumbled and offers an interesting challenge on expansion with varied approaches on dealing with it, so for all intents and purposes it has a job and it does it without huge complaint.

The caveat here however is that this has been a satisfactory situation for a while, but as we have enriched much of the world around it, the HRE has become less interesting in comparison. When we wrote up pillars for what we want to do in the upcoming expansion and update, we came up with the following:

Revitalize the play in the HRE that hasn’t changed much. Make the empire feel alive filled with bickering princes.

Does it feel this way right now? Not to the point that we are currently satisfied with. As a member state, becoming Emperor is a cool aspiration, but as Emperor, aside from some cool strengths you get, it doesn't feel like you have much in the way of interesting choices to make to run the Empire as you envision. Granted in such a decentralized mass, not all should be so keen to follow your law, but we want to open up the Holy Roman experience to allow for more meaningful and dynamic situations. The Emperor should have some sway in the Burgundian Situation. A powerful Pope should lead to meaningful conflict between Empire and Italy beyond the Shadow Kingdom event. The formation and consolidation of the powerful Prussian state should be a matter of concern for the Emperor and Princes. What if Switzerland wish to abandon the HRE?

These are the occurrences that we aspire to model as dynamically as we can within the HRE, and are dabbling with good ways to simulate this in the game.

Another evident issue with HRE play, one that can be seen by playing as Emperor or talking to anyone who has, is that the final reform feels like a trap. An army of HRE subjects to unleash on your foes and carve up the map as you see fit? Now that's an enjoyable reward for reigning in the Empire, however smashing that final reform, absorbing the entire empire and losing all the effects you've built up, considerably less so. While we don't have the exact details, we see this as something that should be split: where there is a clear path for reform in the HRE, either towards decentralized power or all land under one ruler, so that players don't feel the need to purposefully hold back on completing the HRE reform path.

there's more too, probably worth rereading the 40 dev diaries for this patch

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah that's ringing a bell. But didn't they say they were going to add like seven one time events for the diet to react to or something? Because that sounded real underwhelming.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

That was also two directors ago, and now that Paradox is without their QA department again, I'm not sure what stock to put into it; there's even been a major overhaul patch since it :v:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Man, gating a relatively early claims giving mission behind a requirement to have 50 army tradition is rough.

Guess I'll have to fight some other wars in the mean time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wanted some land from a neighbor and they had allied a powerful rival but they had also made a neighboring opm a tributary so I attacked that instead. Crushed them and forced them to break up their alliance. Later they just reallied years before the truce with me was over. Warscore well spent on a meaningful option. :argh:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

oddium posted:

i use the one arumba uses and it's p good

if i could disable the desaturation effect of winter i would but the mod i found doesn't actually do anything

It looks good but it's not great at showing state borders and landscape. Like I don't see elevation with it which is kinda deliberate.

Also turn off post-effects in video options and winter effect is gone.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

I wanted some land from a neighbor and they had allied a powerful rival but they had also made a neighboring opm a tributary so I attacked that instead. Crushed them and forced them to break up their alliance. Later they just reallied years before the truce with me was over. Warscore well spent on a meaningful option. :argh:

Sounds like someone got greedy with the peace treaty. When you force someone to Annul Treaties in a peace deal they can make no new treaties with that country for 10 years, so you want to keep the peace deal at <49% so you can attack them again before they can re-up the alliance.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drakhoran posted:

Sounds like someone got greedy with the peace treaty. When you force someone to Annul Treaties in a peace deal they can make no new treaties with that country for 10 years, so you want to keep the peace deal at <49% so you can attack them again before they can re-up the alliance.
Ah, silly me. Thank you. Does the game actually explain that and I've just not been observant enough or is it something you're expected to research on the wiki? It feels like something which could be mentioned in a tooltip or small information box somewhere but I'm not certain.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Beamed posted:

That was also two directors ago, and now that Paradox is without their QA department again, I'm not sure what stock to put into it; there's even been a major overhaul patch since it :v:
I've seen this posted a few times and really feel like it ought to be clarified- Paradox absolutely does have QA, in that Paradox Development Studio (us devs) has QA, it's just Paradox interactive (the publishing side of Paradox) that doesn't have it's own QA. Publishing's QA and PDS' QA were two separate entities.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 26, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Ah, silly me. Thank you. Does the game actually explain that and I've just not been observant enough or is it something you're expected to research on the wiki? It feels like something which could be mentioned in a tooltip or small information box somewhere but I'm not certain.

It says right there in the peace deal summary how long the treaty will last

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It says right there in the peace deal summary how long the treaty will last
Ooooh. :downs:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gold rush, I’ll graze my horse here... And here... and The Great Khan done so now I'm at 195 achievements - plan is to reach 200 by the time 1.30 hits, so no long campaigns.

Took longer than I expected because A) Mughal formed and allied Ottomans and B) Ottomans while they were beaten to Crimea by me, decided to expand partly into Persia and rivaled me once I was the only choice. Ming in comparison is so easy these days, I didn't even have to cause Unguarded Frontier on them cause Oirat did for me. They stayed at 0 mandate till the end, but interestingly never imploded, which made things way easier for me.

Ottomans can be beastly if left unchecked, but fight them on two fronts and they melt - I had my own armies in the Moldavia / Crimea area beelining for Konstantyinye, my other front with them was Persia, so I'd just siege down the balkans while they wasted time and manpower in the mountains occupying 0 warscore provinces. Add a euro ally for a third front and they just don't know what the gently caress. My last war with them was myself, Scandinavia (with Brandenburg PU), Bohemia vs. them and Great Britain, outnumbered 3-1 but they still got curbstomped (also because GB went to occupy my China land rather than, you know, defend their ally).

Running out of simple/short achievements, tried Big Blue Blob before this one but I just couldn't core in time while having to fend off coalitions - any tricks?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I got the Sikh Pun achievement, which wasn't really all that hard. Starting out as Sirhind you have cores on all of Delhi, an amazing king-general and you get an event very early on which releases you, gives you 6 units and declares a reconquest war on Delhi.
So long as Delhi doesn't have any strong allies you can full annex them and be well on your way.

The kind of annoying thing about converting to Sikh is that you lose the ability to give land to the rajputs, because they only want hindu land. I was also hoping for some unique Punjab missions.

You're pretty well loaded up on morale and military bonuses between Punjab ideas and Sikh bonuses.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

I've seen this posted a few times and really feel like it ought to be clarified- Paradox absolutely does have QA, in that Paradox Development Studio (us devs) has QA, it's just Paradox interactive (the publishing side of Paradox) that doesn't have it's own QA. Publishing's QA and PDS' QA were two separate entities.

Thanks for clarifying, it's good to know :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
drat, Aragon's mission tree in Golden Century is good as gently caress.

I feel like PDX should be more conservative in handing out PU CBs.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

drat, Aragon's mission tree in Golden Century is good as gently caress.

It's really quite stupid good, and I am told there's a trick you can pull in order to switch to the Castile/Spain missions later on forming Spain, also.

Aragon is also in a very good position to cripple the Ottomans early.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Unless they break "Asia" down into some super-regions it will still maybe be worthwhile to move your capital out of Asia? If I'm Indonesia or Japan I would probably want to be able to TC India and Arabia, but right now you cannot.

Japan is it's own super region and not part of the Chinese one. Asia is continent region, not super region.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groke posted:

It's really quite stupid good, and I am told there's a trick you can pull in order to switch to the Castile/Spain missions later on forming Spain, also.

Aragon is also in a very good position to cripple the Ottomans early.

One of the first things you should do as Aragon is no-CB Byz, this cripples Ottman expansion pretty heavily. It's not to hard to retake Byz cores really early while the Ottomans are fighting the Mamluks.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tahirovic posted:

One of the first things you should do as Aragon is no-CB Byz, this cripples Ottman expansion pretty heavily. It's not to hard to retake Byz cores really early while the Ottomans are fighting the Mamluks.

Yes, exactly; Byz can't save themselves so you should do it for them. This is a pro strategy for anyone who can get enough dudes there in time. It's only extra-appropriate for Aragon.

With a bit of luck you may ruin the Ottos right away, if they declare on Byz before you close the force-vassalization peace deal and you have some decent allies, congratulations, you are now war leader in a defensive war with your allies on side and the Ottos all by themselves.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Japan is it's own super region and not part of the Chinese one. Asia is continent region, not super region.
Which one of Continent or Super Region determines where you can set up Trade Companies? If I'm Oman will I be able to TC in Indonesia/China/anywhere in the Asia Continent? My thought was always "If I am playing as a country that is of the mind to set up TCs, it is kinda odd that as someone in Arabia I can set a TC up right across the red sea because across the Red Sea is Africa, but I cannot set one up right across the Persian Gulf, or even on the other side of the Indian Ocean, because *reasons*"

Also because I appreciate you, here is this little Hedgehog gem: https://imgur.com/gallery/T8ISybk

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 27, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/1221798955698343936 I like this! Sure beats having to open the ledger and adding stuff by hand - assume it updates dynamically when allies are going to join or not.

E: the pic cuts off but at the end it gives a breakdown of total inf/cav/arty breakdowns by potential belligerent, as well as their manpower, for both the enemies side and yours.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Which one of Continent or Super Region determines where you can set up Trade Companies? If I'm Oman will I be able to TC in Indonesia/China/anywhere in the Asia Continent? My thought was always "If I am playing as a country that is of the mind to set up TCs, it is kinda odd that as someone in Arabia I can set a TC up right across the red sea because across the Red Sea is Africa, but I cannot set one up right across the Persian Gulf, or even on the other side of the Indian Ocean, because *reasons*"

Also because I appreciate you, here is this little Hedgehog gem: https://imgur.com/gallery/T8ISybk

It's based on Super region, not continents. So Oman can do everything everywhere except the.. Think it's either Near East or Arabic Super region.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

It's based on Super region, not continents. So Oman can do everything everywhere except the.. Think it's either Near East or Arabic Super region.
Amazing. You are amazing. I cannot wait to get my hands on this update.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Asked for this for a long time! Can we also get this info somewhere in the diplomacy screen, like in tech tooltips?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yepp, though is WIP so interface looks horrible right now

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is it just me or does the reserves column from that screenshot not add up?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 27, 2020

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It's Deployed + Manpower, the entire fighting force available to that side

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ah ok. Any chance we can get a split between deployed/manpower? The total deployed number is really important.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Maybe a little late, but a nice QoL for HRE would be a filter or sorting option for province occupation transfer. Right now it seems loosely based on region, but PUs seem to be randomly sprinkled through the list. Filter based on surrounding vassals or vassals visible on screen would be awesome, but would settle for alphabetical listing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm at war with Tunis, which is the only war they are involved in, and they can happily run back and forth across Fezzan but not me. According to the diplo summary Fezzan is somehow granting "conditional military access" to Tunis and normal access to Tlemcen. Except Tlemcen isn't in the war, they got peaced out but apparently the access still applies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Is there some known issue with pathing in the new version? I'm playing as Air, so I've been trying to use big European allies to bludgeon the hated Spanish, but nobody can seem to figure out how to do anything. The Ottoman units split up, with half coming down to my area of Africa (which is ??? because there were never any Spanish down there) and the other half danced around on the French border and never actually entered Spanish land. Then I tried to use the French to do the same thing, but the French couldn't crack "crossing the border" either. I keep winning because Spain never thinks to attack my land either, which is nice, but something seems weird.

edit: this time I tried to use France against GB but instead they sent their entire army south through Morocco while their country got sieged down by Austria :psyduck: They have multiple avenues into Austria through military access so it's not like they can't access Austrian land. I'm probably going to win this war too because while they're loving around I'm ticking up on the wargoal, but what on earth is happening

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 27, 2020