Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of actresses, whatever happened to Mila Kunis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arglebargle III posted:

Speaking of actresses, whatever happened to Mila Kunis?

She made another Bad Moms and is an actual mom. She's still doing Family Guy poo poo too.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Arglebargle III posted:

Can you criticize a woman's performance in a role without being a misogynist?

That girl from the vampire saga (had to google tbh) Kristen Stewart vs Emma Watson in Harry Potter saga.
A literal telephone pole of acting level vs a very talented kid who grew in age and performance as an actor right in front of our eyes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What kind of poker are they playing in the opening scene of Picard? I've been wanting to learn more variations of poker and I've never seen one where the players asks for cards

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

That girl from the vampire saga (had to google tbh) Kristen Stewart vs Emma Watson in Harry Potter saga.
A literal telephone pole of acting level vs a very talented kid who grew in age and performance as an actor right in front of our eyes.

This is far too harsh on Emma Watson, she isn't bad at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Telephone poles are very tall. This is a confusing metaphor.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Random thought. Did anyone else think it was a little unfair of Jean-Luc to blame the reporter for not being familiar with "Dunkirk"? It happened almost five hundred years ago. It'd be like us name-dropping (*throws a dart at Wikipedia*) "Castillon" to a reporter and then castigating them for not immediately recognizing that you mean the battle from the Hundred Years' War. I get that he was mad, but it still seemed unfair to throw it in her face.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What kind of poker are they playing in the opening scene of Picard? I've been wanting to learn more variations of poker and I've never seen one where the players asks for cards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_poker

Draw poker is out of fashion at the moment, but once upon a time five-card draw was what someone meant when they said just "poker".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When my grandpa taught me to play poker it was draw poker. All these texas styles are confusing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Powered Descent posted:

Random thought. Did anyone else think it was a little unfair of Jean-Luc to blame the reporter for not being familiar with "Dunkirk"? It happened almost five hundred years ago. It'd be like us name-dropping (*throws a dart at Wikipedia*) "Castillon" to a reporter and then castigating them for not immediately recognizing that you mean the battle from the Hundred Years' War. I get that he was mad, but it still seemed unfair to throw it in her face.

Nah gently caress her - it would be her job to ask him to expound on that, especially that she already referenced the entire galaxy is watching this and of course your average Telleratire doesn't know anything about an old Earth War. She didn't care what he thought, it was a hit piece and I thought it was fairly visible that she was BS'ing as if she did know what it was.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

5 Card Draw.

The simplest variant where you can discard and replace any of your cards to make the best hand.

e: beaten.

5 Card Stud is another fun one that they play in TNG too

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 25, 2020

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Slamhound posted:

They should bring back Christian Slater's character from ST:VI and have him lead an assault on the Borg/Romulan ship. Call it Gleaming the Cube.

I appreciate this, many others didn’t.
But it’s a good post..

The subtitle could be “Mr Robots wild ride”

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Be warned though, the only poo poo of theirs worth watching is the stuff that highlights Mike and Rich. Jay is a whiny little poo poo who goes out of his way to poo poo all over anything that isn't a 70's giallo flick. Jay has also gotten increasingly misogynistic over the years. gently caress Jay.

The Star Trek stuff should be fine though, it's almost always just Mike and Rich talking about it.

Jay's turning sexist? I haven't noticed. He just seems more smug...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
God it's good to see a Trek that's moving forward again, and while Picard, the character, feels a little idolized, it's so good to see him again.

Brent looked fine too, they dialed down the face filter enough and having seen him in previews kinda softened the idea that this robot guy is 70.

What I didn't like was how they were zipping all over the planet, it felt very rushed. Chill. This is Star Trek, take your time. Dahj went from the US to France and back again, same for Picard, without ever seeing them board a shuttle or use a transporter. It's a small thing, but I missed it. That's all. Eagerly awaiting the next episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anson Mount owns

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1221157524713431042?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Jay's turning sexist? I haven't noticed. He just seems more smug...
Yeah I don't buy into this at all

He's a super nerd that is more into older horror movies than anything else

Just watched him and Jack talking about Tron and Tron Legacy, which was good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I also like Allison Pill but I was mad at her because she was mean to Captain Picard. :mad:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I have pacing issues!
I have to wait almost a week!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

For posterity, and for anyone who'd rather not click through to Zuckerbergland:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grand Fromage posted:

Her mom is some sort of AI. It glitched out in the middle of the conversation and changed tactics.

She was talking to an AI in that scene, it doesn't mean she didn't have a childhood with parents. She would apparently pass a medical scan - she fooled a tricorder at Chateau Picard - so there's no reason to think she didn't grow up like an actual human. She also passed the Daystrom Institute's background check, and had the academic qualifications (publications and references) to be offered a fellowship. Very hard to fake.

Speculation is probably moot since that twin got exploded.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mllaneza posted:

She was talking to an AI in that scene, it doesn't mean she didn't have a childhood with parents. She would apparently pass a medical scan - she fooled a tricorder at Chateau Picard - so there's no reason to think she didn't grow up like an actual human. She also passed the Daystrom Institute's background check, and had the academic qualifications (publications and references) to be offered a fellowship. Very hard to fake.

Speculation is probably moot since that twin got exploded.

I suspect the foster parent road is not where they're going with it, if only because Jurati (Alison Pill) suggested the science had only come close to making someone like Dahj relatively recently. Definitely not long enough for her to have been made as a baby and grown up naturally. If her subconscious programming let her hack Starfleet security feeds like Data, then it's not a stretch to think she could forge a digital paper trail for herself.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So we know what those hosed up cross things floating beside the borg cube are?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fadam posted:

Probably either space mines to keep someone from tractor beaming it away or to blow the poo poo out of it if the cube reactivates suddenly or if someone like the Federation stumbles upon it randomly to cover up the evidence, because the Romulans are hella paranoid like that. Or some kind of gravity tethers to hold the cube in place and keep it from drifting through space.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 26, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably either space mines to keep someone from tractor beaming it away or to blow the poo poo out of it if the cube reactivates suddenly, because the Romulans are hella paranoid like that. Or some kind of gravity tethers to hold the cube in place and keep it from drifting through space.
I'm guessing it's the latter since the thing is so massive

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Technically Picard occurs right after future admiral Janeway takes a shuttle with some tech back in time, plus minus a year. But her time travel might have changed the timeline quite a bit (I just heard Braxton shout JANEWAAAAAAY in a faint voice again) but your point is very plausible. Or its just because I love VOY more than most of trek and really sad it never received such love (which it totally deserves) as TNG or DS9 did :(

Voyager isn’t canon.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

data fat

will ricker fat too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

This is great because I thought Dunkirk was some WW thing and I didn't even see that movie.

I enjoyed this more than I expected. The trailer for the next episode seemed extreme, but that's a critique of overly dramatic trailerographers, not the show.

I was and am still hoping Dahj didn't die, I don't think "surprise twin" is really going to cut it for me. Just seems rude to do the ol' introduce and kill. Too videogamey. Other than that, totally into the Data Babies Club. I am extremely pro-artificial life. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd choose AL or hybrids. I am also into them doing a hotrod custom borg cube. I really hope that the Borg finally figured out that the way to assimilate the Federation would be to let the people of the sector to integrate themselves by choice, kind of.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's also fair to call out the journo about Dunkirk simply because she notes Picard wrote history books after he retired, so presumably at least one of them was about WW2.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

data fat

will ricker fat too

fat riker was canon long before this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Until acid-spit-splosion, I was thinking the way Troi and Riker were going to come in was Picard taking Dahj to see them and have Troi actually use her psychiatry degree for once in helping her process the revelation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's also fair to call out the journo about Dunkirk simply because she notes Picard wrote history books after he retired, so presumably at least one of them was about WW2.

I would give anything to see a future history written by Jean-Luc Picard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

zoux posted:

Why would anyone on earth shop at a ferengi establishment

Maybe it's the Ferengi Embassy. Or maybe Earth has a bunch of Ferengi expats now?

I always kinda wanted to see what would likely be Captain Nog by now and I'm really sad that that can never happen.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Maybe it's the Ferengi Embassy. Or maybe Earth has a bunch of Ferengi expats now?

Franchise of Quark's Bar, Grill, Gaming House and Holosuite Arcade.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

zoux posted:

Why would anyone on earth shop at a ferengi establishment

It's like an "Irish Pub" in the middle of Iowa - sure there's no Irish people there and no one Irish has ever been involved with it, but there's Irish flags inside and fat humans love it.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

HD DAD posted:

Does SMG have some sort of clause in her contract that she must be the focus of all events happening around her?

She is literally the series lead and it's not an ensemble show

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Technically Picard occurs right after future admiral Janeway takes a shuttle with some tech back in time, plus minus a year. But her time travel might have changed the timeline quite a bit (I just heard Braxton shout JANEWAAAAAAY in a faint voice again) but your point is very plausible. Or its just because I love VOY more than most of trek and really sad it never received such love (which it totally deserves) as TNG or DS9 did :(

I think we must be operating in the "Janeway time travels, Voyager comes back early" timeline, otherwise you have a whole show that doesn't really make sense, and the Voyager character appearance we know about from the preview would make no sense as well.

Noble future admiral Janeway time traveled and deleted a whole reality for her crew.

fadam posted:

Some kind of stealth field would be my first guess, keeping it Camo'd from scans. Could also go the other way and be sensors that keep an eye on what's nearby, or that do detailed scans of the interior. In keeping with the more action-y Trek of late defense platforms of some kind are a firm possibility as well.

On that note, sign me up as excited to see more spaceship battles in a Trek show with current VFX abilities, especially if we get more of a dogfighting feel as smaller ships fight each other.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

On that note, sign me up as excited to see more spaceship battles in a Trek show with current VFX abilities, especially if we get more of a dogfighting feel as smaller ships fight each other.

This is incredibly dumb and lame

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably either space mines to keep someone from tractor beaming it away or to blow the poo poo out of it if the cube reactivates suddenly or if someone like the Federation stumbles upon it randomly to cover up the evidence, because the Romulans are hella paranoid like that. Or some kind of gravity tethers to hold the cube in place and keep it from drifting through space.

or the reason those things in the last scene are there is because If the Borg somehow did retake the cube it would blow up immediately.

Also, that guy posted about the pacing issue and said he thought the reviews are garbage on that end. And I agree but also because the writers picked up the feel of TNG. Hour long plays that really push the tension as the episode goes, mostly slow builds to allow plots to breath. The reason people hate the pacing is because modern TV is so loving fast now and its kind of nice to see the throwback of lets actually build up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Thom12255 posted:

Nah gently caress her - it would be her job to ask him to expound on that, especially that she already referenced the entire galaxy is watching this and of course your average Telleratire doesn't know anything about an old Earth War. She didn't care what he thought, it was a hit piece and I thought it was fairly visible that she was BS'ing as if she did know what it was.

Reporters having obvious bias and barely acknowledging anything that doesn't immediately fit their agenda seems like another piece of low-key social commentary, compared to Jake's earnest and honest approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What's this thread's policy on spoilers? Y'all good to let people discuss poo poo after it airs, or are you tagging stuff 'cause it's a megathread? Had a report about spoilers and just want to check in with y'all so I know how you want those handled in the future :discourse: