Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
"this is also how f1 drivers launch their cars"

:goonsay: Used to. The dual clutch bite point setup was banned a couple years ago to make starts more competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just more ways it's completely impossible to set up a sim to emulate the quirks of every car perfectly, even with the most expensive hardware.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So, poo poo. Bought Dirt 2.0, dragged my G27 out of the closet, plugged it in and there's no response from the wheel. Buttons work, pedals, paddles, but nothing from the actual wheel.

I've reinstalled windows since then, so I downloaded the latest version of the gaming software, restarted, tried different USB plugs, but still nah. It's been in the closet for a while, but it's cool and dry. Anyone know what might be up?

Windows and Dirt recognizes the controller without hiccups, I can drive my car backwards and forwards, but that's not gonna do in the long run, I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does the wheel turn on and do any sort of spinning to set its boundaries or anything? If you open up joy.cpl, does the wheel show up and do any of the axes change when you turn the wheel? If it's broken, no harm in opening it up and see if anything is visibly wrong with the components.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

aha imagine if your adhd rear end brain spends so long between intense marathon sessions with the wheel that when the bug bites you next... your forget that the wheel needs a power supply.. haha that would be unthinkable..... unless?

Anyway yeah it works.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Electronics are thirsty for those electrons. Who knew?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The answer to the issue was literally "is it plugged in?"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If it makes you feel better, I had a customer claim we sold them a defective switch because it stopped working whenever they unplugged it.

It was a PoE switch. :downs:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

oh no! yeah, it makes me feel mildly better

Also I was thinking "USB has power ok let's go :downs:"

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 27, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

njsykora posted:

The answer to the issue was literally "is it plugged in?"

To be fair, it was plugged in. But it had to be plugged in twice ;)

and power-over-usb is a thing so its not completely inconceivable that it would work. But a strong force feedback wheel needs like main voltage power and your USB socket isn't quite up to snuff yet.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, it was plugged in. But it had to be plugged in twice ;)

and power-over-usb is a thing so its not completely inconceivable that it would work. But a strong force feedback wheel needs like main voltage power and your USB socket isn't quite up to snuff yet.

Let's get to USB-PD wheels! The lower end wheels are completely within the 100W envelope permitted.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It took me two hours to assemble my wheel stand and then i was too tired to drive more than a dozen hotlaps around the Daytona road course in a Ferrari F12 in pCARS2

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Brand new Scotland location and some McRae inspired cars coming to Dirt 2 In late March. Free for everyone having anything beyond just the base game (deluxe or season upgrades).

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/dr2_mcrae_info/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2koAn-6q8

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's free if you have at least one of the season packs through whatever means, but not if you bought individual items from those packs and haven't bought a season pack. I like the scenario idea and really hope it gets used more in Codemasters games going forward, because I remember some older F1 games having really fun scenario challenges.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:scotland:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just as an FYI there is a dev actively developing a FFB plugin for MAME, so you can play awesome arcade racing games with your FFB wheel and pedals.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=157734.0

They have written specific plugins for many games and there is a generic plugin for other games.

A lot of really good games are already supported like SF Rush (the game that made me want a FFB wheel in the first place) and DAYTOOOONAAAAAAAA

Gonna set up MAME and SF Rush tonight.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWa2lnNzUY

A group is adding large sections of the Shutoko Expressway to Assetto Corsa, that you might have already driven on if you have played Tokyo Xtreme Racer or Wangan Midnight. The mesh is extremely jank though and can lead to weird physics issues.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A bunch of single system emulators already have FFB wheel support, most notably Sega Model 2 emulators which opens up stuff like Sega Rally.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just as an FYI there is a dev actively developing a FFB plugin for MAME, so you can play awesome arcade racing games with your FFB wheel and pedals.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=157734.0

They have written specific plugins for many games and there is a generic plugin for other games.

A lot of really good games are already supported like SF Rush (the game that made me want a FFB wheel in the first place) and DAYTOOOONAAAAAAAA

Gonna set up MAME and SF Rush tonight.

Yay, an excuse to post this!

https://youtu.be/esx6kqauC9A

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

A group is adding large sections of the Shutoko Expressway to Assetto Corsa, that you might have already driven on if you have played Tokyo Xtreme Racer or Wangan Midnight. The mesh is extremely jank though and can lead to weird physics issues.

Oh fuuuuuck yeah

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hard drivin with ffb plz TIA

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

SPACE HOMOS posted:

People are probably aware of it, but a while back some people were talking about options for open world chill driving in games (for VR) and the LA Canyons mod for Assetto Corsa is pretty good too. It has carefully placed pits so you can do a practice day and effectively get traffic all over the 42km "track". It seems like it has a new 1.2 release in a couple days, but I had a lot of fun in 1.0 too. Some of the stuff done by modders for AC is crazy.
Random preview vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExw8sdhzyk

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That's an amazing mod.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Terrorizing traffic in socal in a mid 80 turbo monster F1 car of course.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

shrach posted:

People are probably aware of it, but a while back some people were talking about options for open world chill driving in games (for VR) and the LA Canyons mod for Assetto Corsa is pretty good too. It has carefully placed pits so you can do a practice day and effectively get traffic all over the 42km "track". It seems like it has a new 1.2 release in a couple days, but I had a lot of fun in 1.0 too. Some of the stuff done by modders for AC is crazy.
Random preview vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExw8sdhzyk

Oh poo poo this exactly what I need (even without VR).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone have some good rear end prefered G27 settings (ingame, outgame, both) for renowned hardcore simulator Forza Horizon 4?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What problem are you trying to solve?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

0. I don't have a license, so while I always seek the most realistic simulation, I can't compare it to experience with a real car. I'm a dumbo and I don't know what's good.
1. Degrees of rotation: what's ideal in a game optimized for gamepad?
2. Centering spring enabled or disabled?
3. The RPM light enabled once when I had the profiler open and now I can't get it back.
4. I remember Dirt Rally had a few alternative setups to the default, which is the main reason I'm asking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Black Griffon posted:

0. I don't have a license, so while I always seek the most realistic simulation, I can't compare it to experience with a real car. I'm a dumbo and I don't know what's good.
3. The RPM light enabled once when I had the profiler open and now I can't get it back.
4. I remember Dirt Rally had a few alternative setups to the default, which is the main reason I'm asking.

0: most even kind of modern cars have the steering feel abstracted away to nothing, so there isn’t a good comparison there. Set it up so you can feel what’s going on with the road and you can feel the car and wheel pulling against you, but don’t crank things to 100 or you will get clipping. I’d be shocked if forza was very adjustable at all regardless.

1: it depends on the actual wheel you’re using. F1 style wheels shouldn’t rotate around to where you have to take your hands off them, so about 270 degrees or so. Regular round wheels can get away with more but it’s ultimately up to your comfort level. A round wheel with the paddles on the rim still gets awkward to shift when the paddles are reversed because the wheel is upside down.

2: personal preference but I enable it

3 and 4 :iiam:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

1. All the degrees your wheel has, unless you're in an f1 car or something, then like 360

2. Disabled, most games will do it automatically so spring on wheel doubles it up

3. Computers, man

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I thought you meant the centering spring in the game, yeah, disable that in the Logitech software and let the game do it

E: you’ll find that a lot of this is personal preference. My wheel can do 1080 degrees of rotation but I never let it go beyond 900. It’s too hard, especially if you drive in VR (not an issue in Forza obv) to keep track of how many rotations you’ve done and whether or not the wheel is rightside up or not. For road racing you dont really want your hands off the wheel and paddles too much. Rally racing, you have a bit more leeway.

Others run the full range. DD wheel owners can set like 9000 degrees of rotation if they want. It’s what feels good to you.

Also remember that the degrees of rotation are lock to lock, so if you set your wheel to 100 degrees (for ease of maths sake, don’t do this for real), you’ll get 50 degrees to the left of center and 50 degrees to the right of center

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 3, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maybe he did mean in-game :shrug:

But there ya go

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah nah I meant out-game. Degreewise, I saw 540 recommended for Dirt 2.0, which is the game where I personally feel a really good setup is most important (because that's where I actually play for keeps), and I might just keep to that to make things simple.

What's clipping, in this context ("don’t crank things to 100 or you will get clipping")? Is 100 like 100% or is 100 like the furthest I can push the force feedback?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Clipping is when you have the force turned up high enough that the wheel is delivering its full force at, say 80% of requested force from the game. So then when the game requests more than 80% force it doesn’t feel any different because the wheel was already delivering 100% of its force back at 80%

If that makes sense

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Clipping is when you have the force turned up high enough that the wheel is delivering its full force at, say 80% of requested force from the game. So then when the game requests more than 80% force it doesn’t feel any different because the wheel was already delivering 100% of its force back at 80%

If that makes sense

That makes total sense. Is that just something I have to experiment with per game? On a wheel with a 0-150% slider, do you have a general preferred rating?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don’t think it’s wise to play horizon with a wheel and it’s best to leave that for f7 but if you’re committed to it then I would suggest setting the wheel to 1080 I think (possibly 900 but I’m pretty sure 1080) because Forza is one of those games that will adjust in game per car based on drivers being set to 1080 and if you change it with drivers it will become non linear and become a mess. If you change it to something like 540 you’ll have to adjust steering sensitivity in game too, and that was something I never got to feel correct without leaving it at default. Anyways that’s what I figured out in f7 and it helped me a lot. Also I’d have to check my settings but I think I had to turn the wheel spring in game off while turning mechanical alignment up. But these two settings are hugely wheel brand dependent. Again this is f7 not fh4 but I think it should be the same in terms of settings (although cars aren’t going to handle the same because of the controller optimization)

I could be wrong because the ffb sliders are inscrutable but I hope this is helpful

edit: also keep in mind forza's cockpit view steering wheel does not represent the wheel range of the car like other games. It's just a stock animation and doesn't represent the real range ever

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 3, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

900 is as far as I can go with the G27. Also, I'm committed because Horizon is excellent for loving around and just driving along the highway, and it feels way less good on a controller.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's probably 900 then. Now clipping as long as you haven't messed with the default gain on the logitech I think that should be pretty set to go too. Just imagine your plugging your wheel into an xbox and the xbox is setting it to default. That's pretty much how the game is meant to see the drivers, and then use the in game settings to your taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

That makes total sense. Is that just something I have to experiment with per game? On a wheel with a 0-150% slider, do you have a general preferred rating?

Yeah you kinda just have to experiment. Play with it. The G27 is probably trickier, on a Fanatec there's so much power that I rarely push over like 60-70% base sensitivity which leaves tons of overhead.

Drive the car and pull the wheel hard while hitting a bump or something and see if you can still feel it or if it gets smoothed out. Tweak to taste. But too much FFB makes it harder to drive anyhow.

Black Griffon posted:

900 is as far as I can go with the G27. Also, I'm committed because Horizon is excellent for loving around and just driving along the highway, and it feels way less good on a controller.

I feel you. I would kill for an open-world street-racing simulator.

Horizon is good fun for loving around but I'm gonna warn you right now; you will simply never get the FFB to feel "right". Horizon is just too arcadey in its modeling and how it handles FFB. You can make it feel decent for some situations, but then it'll feel awful in others without tweaking all your settings again.

Like, set a wheel up so you can drive a nice supercar on tarmac and it feels decent on your wheel. Then get in a drift car and try sliding around, it'll feel awful. Adjust the wheel so its playable when drifting, and its gonna feel like poo poo when racing a fast car. Etc.

Games like PCars 2 and Assetto Corsa have FFB that's just... simply on another level from Horizon. Its just not realistic. But again, I understand your desire for an open world sim, so I myself have tried to tweak Horizon to work well with a FFB wheel. I just wanna tell you right now, even after hours of tweaking and messing with it, nothing ever felt perfect. Its not possible.

ethanol posted:

I don’t think it’s wise to play horizon with a wheel

Disagree with this, but just go in knowing its gonna feel more like arcade DAYTONAAAAAA than a real racing sim. Also drifting feels awful.

But still fun to race around England with your wheel.

ethanol posted:

edit: also keep in mind forza's cockpit view steering wheel does not represent the wheel range of the car like other games. It's just a stock animation and doesn't represent the real range ever

Yeah this is definitely a thing